Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

"No Caddies on The Green"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chipwich

Chipwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

My son is playing in the FCG National in Vegas in a couple weeks.  It's his first FCG tournament and they have a rule I've never seen before.  Caddies are allowed for 10 and under but No Caddies on the Green.  I'm a very hands off kind of caddie.  I don't line him up or tell him how hard to swing.  All I've done for him when I caddie on the US Kids tourneys is clean his clubs and balls, give him a distance and read a putt when he asks for assistance.  Pretty much a tour caddie as I HATE the super crazy Daddy Caddies that do everything but swing the actual club.

So what exactly does "No Caddies on the Green" mean?  I can stand on the fringe and read a putt?  Can I read the green as I walk up to it and talk about it with him?  Can I bark orders as long as my feet aren't on the green?  I'm totally fine not doing anything for him, he's ready to play by himself.  I ask more to make sure the other parents are following the correct interpretation of the rule.  I assume the rule is in place so the kids have to read their own putts which I'm all for.

Does anyone here know what the rule means and what's allowed?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

View PostChipwich, on 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

My son is playing in the FCG National in Vegas in a couple weeks.  It's his first FCG tournament and they have a rule I've never seen before.  Caddies are allowed for 10 and under but No Caddies on the Green.  I'm a very hands off kind of caddie.  I don't line him up or tell him how hard to swing.  All I've done for him when I caddie on the US Kids tourneys is clean his clubs and balls, give him a distance and read a putt when he asks for assistance.  Pretty much a tour caddie as I HATE the super crazy Daddy Caddies that do everything but swing the actual club.

So what exactly does "No Caddies on the Green" mean?  I can stand on the fringe and read a putt?  Can I read the green as I walk up to it and talk about it with him?  Can I bark orders as long as my feet aren't on the green?  I'm totally fine not doing anything for him, he's ready to play by himself.  I ask more to make sure the other parents are following the correct interpretation of the rule.  I assume the rule is in place so the kids have to read their own putts which I'm all for.

Never played in FCG with my kid yet, but I think the intent is for parents to do and say nothing. Sure, you can strategize on your way to the green (as any caddie would do), but once you are there, it looks like the intent is for you to leave them alone from there.  Someone else on this forum will likely chime in.

#3 Chipwich

Chipwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

That's what I'm hoping too.  I just want to make sure we don't have some Tiger Parents on the fringe yelling advice at their kid only to find out that's perfectly fine.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 652

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

View PostChipwich, on 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Played in many FCG events... when the kids are on the green you can stand on the fringe away from the hole and watch.  Most of the time caddies will be much further off the green just counting putts from each player. You can certainly give guidance on the way to the green but once they are there to putt just keep your trap shut.  There will be at least two rules officials roaming around that you can speak to if it becomes an issue but in our experience it never has... on the first tee they'll usually give you their cell phone number so you can call or text them.

#5 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Have played dozens of FCG events, and generally you can talk to your player about the green and breaks and strategy until they walk onto the green, if their ball is on the green.  If their ball is on the fringe you can still assist  with everything, but once the ball is on the green and they're on the green you can't help with anything.
Occasionally we've had to remind players to tend the flag, or mark their ball, and they usually don't mind orders like that, but assisting the player with how to play the shot generally isn't allowed.

TaylorMade R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty 009
Chrome Soft X / Ksig

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Chipwich - how was your experience in Vegas at the FCG event?

#7 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Sounds a little odd to me. Probably a chimp-fisted attempt to deal with overzealous parents. Of course, the proper way to do that is ban them. (My son just "retired" from youth soccer just in time. It was becoming a cesspool as the kids got older...)
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Snell (any model), Srixon Q Star Tour and Z Star

#8 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 27 April 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Sounds a little odd to me. Probably a chimp-fisted attempt to deal with overzealous parents. Of course, the proper way to do that is ban them. (My son just "retired" from youth soccer just in time. It was becoming a cesspool as the kids got older...)
Oh good. I was worried.

#9 wlm

wlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

The rule probably helps with pace of play too.

#10 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

In my old club none of the jun golfers were allowed caddies at all. They had to carry their own clubs, clean them etc and read their own putts with no input from parents or whomever. Fact is this generally encouraged them to use the range and practice greens more where they also learned to do their own reads. Made for faster jun golfers who seemed more self confident. During times we had to play with them they were more efficient regardless that the could not drive their balls as far as we could.

Funny thing is we were forced to play with caddies even when we did not want to. Apparently the caddies needed support to keep more of them available when we had our own tournaments. One of my problems was keeping my caddie from reading my putts for me as they had a tendency to want to take control of my early game to speed me up and I needed to learn to read the actual greens we played on.

Shambles

Shambles.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Look, in the end.  All of these rules are because despite your best intentions there have been too many dads who lose their heads when it comes to their kid in junior golf. I remember a dad in US Kids berating his son in Korean and instructing him on every stroke, even a 12 inch putt, and the kid was so nervous he missed the 1 footer.   I've been through it all, I'm usually the last man standing as a Dad out there.  You don't know how many times I've heard boys talking to each other saying,  I'm sure glad my dad is not here.  I know what they mean.  My son has been used to me being with him since he was 5 in tee ball as his coach.  The first practice he learned that in sports in competition I will never talk to him.  I had to coach all the other kids.  That set the foundation. It is really hard to suppress my feelings when he hits a bad shot.  But I've told myself over the years that he has to make mistakes to get better, to learn, to excel.  As long as he came aways with each and every tournament with a kernel of knowledge on how to be better the next time.  We all want our kids to be successful, it is a slow excruciating experience for parents.  Often times my son would look at me after he almost holes out a shot and realize I'm not even paying attention, I'm just talking to a mom.

There are many tours here in California where you have to remain 25 feet or more from your child all the time.  You can only hand them food, water or maybe a jacket.

The time to talk to your kid, and I mean talk, not lecture, is after the tournament, discuss the failures and what they could do to overcome them, and recognize their success.

2 weeks ago my son was in the Alameda Commuter's Men's tournament.  On a par 3 he slipped and pulled his tee shot 3.5 feet off the green on the fringe, he was 65 feet from the pin, slight downhill sideways putt but since he was off the green flagstick still in.  he decided to putt.  He stroked it, it followed a kind of shallow banana curve and hit the flagstick dead on, drop in birdie.

His partners were all congratulating him, they were all men, 25-29, he's the only 18 year old.  

One of the guys says to me.  Your son had exactly the same expression or game face when he lined up the putt, took the putt and when it went in.  He didn't even crack a smile, like he knew what he had to do and just did it, no big deal.  You wouldn't know he just sank a tough birdie.  And then he looked at me, I was my son's caddy and he said you are the most mellow dad I have ever seen especially for a Chinese dad.  He remembered as a youth golfer all the Asian kids after the tournaments were over watching their moms and dads berating them on the range because they were forced to keep practicing since they just lost a tournament, even coming in second.

I just looked at him and said I never felt that for someone to be successful at anything requiring someone to beat that thought into you.  I always felt that as a parent my goal is to be sure I motivate my kids to want to succeed, not to have to succeed.

Get used to these rules, get your child used to thinking for themselves.  Read all the greens and give advice during practice, never in competition.  Get them used to not relying on you for their immediate success.  Over the long run, they will be stronger and you will be prouder of "their"  accomplishments.

Edited by jollysammy, 28 April 2018 - 09:07 AM.

#12 Chipwich

Chipwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

View Postleezer99, on 27 April 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Chipwich - how was your experience in Vegas at the FCG event?

Fantastic!  The kid finished 11th out of 16.  One the first day we got paired with two phenomenally good kids and their parents couldn't have been nicer and more supportive of my son.  It was nothing but a positive experience all the way around.

#13 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10027

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

It encourages players to be responsible for their own game, and also keeps the parent-caddies out of the way. Maybe that net catches the good and the bad both, but it sounds like a good idea overall to me. Probably a pace of play issue in there somewhere too.
Callaway Xr 16 10.5/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Callaway Xr 16 15, 19/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Titleist ProV1

WITB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors