Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

"No Caddies on The Green"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chipwich

Chipwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

My son is playing in the FCG National in Vegas in a couple weeks.  It's his first FCG tournament and they have a rule I've never seen before.  Caddies are allowed for 10 and under but No Caddies on the Green.  I'm a very hands off kind of caddie.  I don't line him up or tell him how hard to swing.  All I've done for him when I caddie on the US Kids tourneys is clean his clubs and balls, give him a distance and read a putt when he asks for assistance.  Pretty much a tour caddie as I HATE the super crazy Daddy Caddies that do everything but swing the actual club.

So what exactly does "No Caddies on the Green" mean?  I can stand on the fringe and read a putt?  Can I read the green as I walk up to it and talk about it with him?  Can I bark orders as long as my feet aren't on the green?  I'm totally fine not doing anything for him, he's ready to play by himself.  I ask more to make sure the other parents are following the correct interpretation of the rule.  I assume the rule is in place so the kids have to read their own putts which I'm all for.

Does anyone here know what the rule means and what's allowed?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

Chipwich, on 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

My son is playing in the FCG National in Vegas in a couple weeks.  It's his first FCG tournament and they have a rule I've never seen before.  Caddies are allowed for 10 and under but No Caddies on the Green.  I'm a very hands off kind of caddie.  I don't line him up or tell him how hard to swing.  All I've done for him when I caddie on the US Kids tourneys is clean his clubs and balls, give him a distance and read a putt when he asks for assistance.  Pretty much a tour caddie as I HATE the super crazy Daddy Caddies that do everything but swing the actual club.

So what exactly does "No Caddies on the Green" mean?  I can stand on the fringe and read a putt?  Can I read the green as I walk up to it and talk about it with him?  Can I bark orders as long as my feet aren't on the green?  I'm totally fine not doing anything for him, he's ready to play by himself.  I ask more to make sure the other parents are following the correct interpretation of the rule.  I assume the rule is in place so the kids have to read their own putts which I'm all for.

Never played in FCG with my kid yet, but I think the intent is for parents to do and say nothing. Sure, you can strategize on your way to the green (as any caddie would do), but once you are there, it looks like the intent is for you to leave them alone from there.  Someone else on this forum will likely chime in.

#3 Chipwich

Chipwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

That's what I'm hoping too.  I just want to make sure we don't have some Tiger Parents on the fringe yelling advice at their kid only to find out that's perfectly fine.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Chipwich, on 27 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Played in many FCG events... when the kids are on the green you can stand on the fringe away from the hole and watch.  Most of the time caddies will be much further off the green just counting putts from each player. You can certainly give guidance on the way to the green but once they are there to putt just keep your trap shut.  There will be at least two rules officials roaming around that you can speak to if it becomes an issue but in our experience it never has... on the first tee they'll usually give you their cell phone number so you can call or text them.

#5 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Have played dozens of FCG events, and generally you can talk to your player about the green and breaks and strategy until they walk onto the green, if their ball is on the green.  If their ball is on the fringe you can still assist  with everything, but once the ball is on the green and they're on the green you can't help with anything.
Occasionally we've had to remind players to tend the flag, or mark their ball, and they usually don't mind orders like that, but assisting the player with how to play the shot generally isn't allowed.

Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Evnroll ER2
Chrome Soft X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors