Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Parents, Your kids don't need to be reminded......

53 replies to this topic

#31 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

Life is not fair, when your old enough to know how to really talk to women, you're too old.   And when they are young and handsome like our boys, they know absolutely nothing about women.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

I know when he grows older and hopefully wiser.  That he will fondly remember back to the days as a scratch golfer in pursuit of birdies and the occasional eagle,  Knowing that his dad didn't even pick up a club, but he was always trying to get a hole-in-one....

Edited by jollysammy, 03 May 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#33 Jordan Socha

Jordan Socha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500854
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

I disagree with OP saying parents don't hover around other sports. I've seen this during EVERY youth sport.

#34 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2124

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostJordan Socha, on 03 May 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I disagree with OP saying parents don't hover around other sports. I've seen this during EVERY youth sport.

The OP never said that.

#35 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 7852

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

It’s been a king time ago for me, but I coached my son in all his sports for so long I think he expected to hear it. Probably just tuned me out most of the time.

Always was a smart kid.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 04 May 2018 - 08:18 AM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#36 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

I remember all the Dads who would scream, yell and get upset at their kids.  Nowadays, I'm  the only Dad out there watching as those same boys tell their Dads they don't want them there because it ruins their game.  So all these Dads have been banned and no longer can watch their 17-18 year olds play golf.  Their boys drive themselves to the tournaments and the Dad is no longer necessary except to pay for the tournament.  In the end, my greatest satisfaction has been to watch my son fail and succeed.  To share all those moments of triumph along with the agony of defeat.  He's going off to college next and I won't see him play much anymore, but at least I'll have the memories up to 18 years old and not have missed his game during his 16-18 years like so many other dads I no longer see out there...

#37 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18099

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

View Postjollysammy, on 03 May 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Life is not fair, when your old enough to know how to really talk to women, you're too old.   And when they are young and handsome like our boys, they know absolutely nothing about women.

natures way of controlling population....  if  we knew then what we know now we would have had 5 kids by 21....lol
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

#38 warrio17

warrio17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443684
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

Well said. My son is 4 and beginning to play. I need to keep this in mind.
Posted Image  Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X
Posted Image  Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X
Posted Image Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5
Posted Image RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)
Posted Image JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g
Posted Image Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X
Posted Image Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X
Posted Image Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)
Posted Image Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"
Posted Image Select Newport 2.5 35"
Posted Image Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado

instagram: @westongarner

#39 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

Was practicing with my son around green yesterday evening and a dad with his daughter, ime guessing she was 10 or so was doing the same.   He was berating her on every putt and chip.  Just aweful.  You could see the look on her face that she would rather be somewhere other than here.  Classic example.  Anyway, I almost walked over and suggested she play a quick putting match with my son so I could pull the dad aside and politely tell him how rediculous he sounded (and maybe reccomed he read “Dont should on your kids”, ya!).  I am one to mind my own business and by no means an expert , but I truly believe he would be shocked if he could hear himself and realize that he is ruining any chance of his daughter sticking with the game long term.  Most of us have had our own tigerdad spells, my wife was always quick to remind me to chill.  We’ve seen them there before, I am thinking of a tactful way to say something next time, I feel really bad for the girl.  

Anyway, anyone ever step in and give another golf parent unsolicited advice?  What reaction did you get?

Edited by hangontight, 28 July 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#40 vanillafunk616

vanillafunk616

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378040
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

Yeah I often hear dads on the range who just go on these hour long monologues about swing thoughts.  After every shot they give them ten things to work on.  Then they get progressively angrier when the kid doesn't immediately show improvement.  "I just told you keep your head down".  It gives me PTSD to being a kid like that.  I really want to take the parent aside but that really isn't my place.  If you are one of those parents 1)you aren't helping, in fact your "teaching style" is making the hardest sport in the world harder 2) your swing advice sucks and you have no idea what you're talking about 3) you're ruining the fun of the game 4) everyone around you thinks you're a jack***.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

View Posthangontight, on 28 July 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

Was practicing with my son around green yesterday evening and a dad with his daughter, ime guessing she was 10 or so was doing the same.   He was berating her on every putt and chip.  Just aweful.  You could see the look on her face that she would rather be somewhere other than here.  Classic example.  Anyway, I almost walked over and suggested she play a quick putting match with my son so I could pull the dad aside and politely tell him how rediculous he sounded (and maybe reccomed he read “Dont should on your kids”, ya!).  I am one to mind my own business and by no means an expert , but I truly believe he would be shocked if he could hear himself and realize that he is ruining any chance of his daughter sticking with the game long term.  Most of us have had our own tigerdad spells, my wife was always quick to remind me to chill.  We’ve seen them there before, I am thinking of a tactful way to say something next time, I feel really bad for the girl.  

Anyway, anyone ever step in and give another golf parent unsolicited advice?  What reaction did you get?

I’ve received one of those talks. But it only came after I approached another gentleman, asked him about his putting drills. As we chatted, he mentioned I was being a bit tough. That’s when I started reading this forum, picked up some books, etc.

I’m different now, and I get out more with groups. I’ve often heard “I see you out there with your daughter.” I’m sure many of them want to follow that up with “ you should take it easy on her.” It helped me out, but beware it is similar to telling someone on the street how to parent. Tread cautiously, or don’t tread at all if you don’t know that person.

Best thing I can say, just model the right behavior with your son. If that dad really cares about teaching his daughter, he should be watching other people in the course to learn from them. Could also be a little added stress, this is DCP season. When I got my intervention last year, was two days before sub regionals. I talked to that man the following week, thanked him for his advice, but did tell him where my head was at. Her putting is what got her through to regionals, possibly in spite of me.

Edited by BertGA, 28 July 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#42 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostBertGA, on 28 July 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 28 July 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

I’ve received one of those talks. But it only came after I approached another gentleman, asked him about his putting drills. As we chatted, he mentioned I was being a bit tough. That’s when I started reading this forum, picked up some books, etc.

I’m different now, and I get out more with groups. I’ve often heard “I see you out there with your daughter.” I’m sure many of them want to follow that up with “ you should take it easy on her.” It helped me out, but beware it is similar to telling someone on the street how to parent. Tread cautiously, or don’t tread at all if you don’t know that person.

What books have you read.
I like to let my son work trough his own problems by asking what he did wrong. I believe it helps in the long run. But it is still very hard on me to watch and keep quiet sometimes.
I'm hoping as he gets older he he makes more friends in the golfing world. Friendly competition with kids his age is alot more fun then playing with dad

#43 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

Started out by reading several of the threads here, which were the initial enlightenment. Currently on “Don’t should on...” have read “Changing the Game”, not as good as “Don’t”. Did a PCT course I think as part of USKids local tour registration. Beyond that, I learned from seeing similar behaviors in others, talking to my dad three about what isn’t working, and looking at my own game. I have intentions about all kinds of outcomes when I swing. They don’t slways happen. Just because my junior doesn’t perform exactly what I am trying to t school doesn’t mean they aren’t trying.

http://www.golfwrx.c...r-golf-parents/

My daughter is 9, I feel like just this year she has been taking more control over her game. She understands the consequence of misses, and is taking more ownership of her training.

Started out by reading several of the threads here, which were the initial enlightenment. Currently on “Don’t should on...” have read “Changing the Game”, not as good as “Don’t”. Did a PCT course I think as part of USKids local tour registration. Beyond that, I learned from seeing similar behaviors in others, talking to my dad three about what isn’t working, and looking at my own game. I have intentions about all kinds of outcomes when I swing. They don’t slways happen. Just because my junior doesn’t perform exactly what I am trying to t school doesn’t mean they aren’t trying.

My daughter is 9, I feel like just this year she has been taking more control over her game. She understands the consequence of misses, and is taking more ownership of her training.

Edited by BertGA, 28 July 2018 - 12:05 PM.

#44 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

I'm still waiting for those royalties to start rolling in for 'Don't Should...'.

For anyone interested I'm reading 'Talent is Overrated' right now.  I wouldn't recommend it but I'm grinding it out hoping for a gem to unearth itself.

#45 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

View Postleezer99, on 28 July 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

I'm still waiting for those royalties to start rolling in for 'Don't Should...'.

For anyone interested I'm reading 'Talent is Overrated' right now.  I wouldn't recommend it but I'm grinding it out hoping for a gem to unearth itself.

Can’t rest on your laurels. You’ll have to read probably 4 more before you hit gold again. We are all waiting for the next offering on the Leezer book club. Hopefully in time for the winter offseason.

#46 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Great conversation with Dan Patrick and Tony Dungy on Coaching Kids in 2018 vs. Prior Generations.

#47 vanillafunk616

vanillafunk616

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

Or conversely you could yell "I told you keep your head down!" after every shot.

#48 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

Soft parents yield soft kids 100% of the time

#49 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:23 AM

View PostTigerMom, on 17 August 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Or perhaps strict parents yield resentful, rebellious kids?

#50 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:02 AM

View PostBertGA, on 17 August 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Only if you are looking at the history of the greatest generation parents raising entitled boomer brats

Boomers have spoiled their millennial kids and we see what the result is there

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 NEhomer

NEhomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:04 AM

Years back my son had a terrible coach. I was there one day by the 7th tee when my son and his foursome were just arriving at the tee. I had no intention of saying anything at all. Then, coach comes by in his cart and sees that a parent is watching so he stops and proceeds to put each kid through "instruction" on the tee so that he could show me what a great coach we was. Poor kids didn't have a chance of hitting a good shot.

My boy was last and while coach was harassing another kid I looked over at him and quietly said "smile."  He said what? I said smile and I just gave him a big smile. He knew what I meant and he knew to ignore coach at that moment and he piped a good shot.

Sorry for veering a bit off topic but adults often suck the fun out of sports. I'm a high school teacher and it's frustrating to see someone do a poor job of mentoring young adults. Regardless of wins and losses, a great coach wins every year and a bad coach never wins.

Great post OP.

#52 vanillafunk616

vanillafunk616

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostTigerMom, on 18 August 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

View PostBertGA, on 17 August 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Only if you are looking at the history of the greatest generation parents raising entitled boomer brats

Boomers have spoiled their millennial kids and we see what the result is there

Socrates in 470 B.C.-399 B.C. :

"The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers."

#53 Chipwich

Chipwich

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

Dude, if I can't tell my kid he sucks what's the point of playing golf with him or going to his tournaments.  Of course, he's never been shy about telling me how much I suck when I blade one over the green or three putt from 15 feet.  It's a mutual undertaking to gleefully point out each other's flaws on the golf course.

#54 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

https://m.youtube.co...?v=cq8_DgbJYko#

Great commercial

Pulled from this good article

https://athletesinac...ts#.W7i7PxYpCEd

Edited by hangontight, 06 October 2018 - 08:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors