Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Should my kid play tomorrow or not?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LukePete

LukePete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476058
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Hello,
I signed my kid up for a US Kids local tour event tomorrow.  He just turned 11 so he now plays 18 holes.
He has been taking lessons since last summer. We live in a snow state so he has not really played all that much.
It is 50/50 if he will keep it under 100 or not.  He has never even played 18 holes in one day and has never played in a stroke play event. He did play in the US kids team events last year.  I get this is much diff than stroke play.
There are 8 kids registered in his age group and 6 of them are playing good golf. A few made Jr world and so on.

I am thinking about not having him play tomorrow. Will it help him to go shoot 100 tomorrow and take last place?
Will the experience itself help him? I know he will be down on himself after the round.

Would you tell him to play or should I hold him out?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17434

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

What does he want to do? If he is not all that interested in golf, it might no be such a good idea, but if he is really into it...

All he can do is play his best...if that means he finishes last, so what...props to him for going out there and giving it a shot. It also might give him some idea of how some of the better players his age play...and drive him to want to improve.

Sometimes simply showing up is a victory in and of itself. And, he has to start somewhere.

All I asked from my son is that he do his best. I didn't mind if he hit a bad shot, lost a match, or whatever. As long as he applied himself. Sometimes your best isn't enough, and this is especially true in golf because it's an individual sport.

Golf is a difficult game. On Wednesday I watched Dustin Johnson lose three golf balls. Today I watched Jordan Spieth start out double/double/bogey. I know 10 HI's who would be cursing and throwing clubs if they did that.

When I was a kid I always wanted to play basketball, swim against, shoot arrows, or whatever with the best players. Sure, I would sometimes get my *ss kicked, but I became a better player because of it.

You know you son better than any of us do, but if it were my son I would encourage him to go for it. It's only a game, and there will be plenty of other opportunities to tee it up if this tournament doesn't go so well for him.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

I was really conflicted on this so I asked the brains of the house (my wonderful wife) what she thought... she said he plays.  There's always going to be his first tournament so get that out of the way sooner than later.  Also, just let him know how good the other kids are and that you're probably going to come in last.  One thing we both agreed on was that this could be used as a great benchmark for future tournaments.  

The reason I was conflicted was because I like setting kids up for success.  Doesn't sound like you've had that opportunity so go for it and make the best of it.

#4 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

I agree with leezer on setting up kids for success but I think you have to start somewhere.  When I first signed my kid up for a tournament she had been to the range about 5 times played one round of 9 holes ish. But she took it and learned from it. I say go for it.

#5 Steele47

Steele47

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248371
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

Yes.

#6 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:30 AM

View PostLukePete, on 23 March 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Hello,
I signed my kid up for a US Kids local tour event tomorrow.  He just turned 11 so he now plays 18 holes.
He has been taking lessons since last summer. We live in a snow state so he has not really played all that much.
It is 50/50 if he will keep it under 100 or not.  He has never even played 18 holes in one day and has never played in a stroke play event. He did play in the US kids team events last year.  I get this is much diff than stroke play.
There are 8 kids registered in his age group and 6 of them are playing good golf. A few made Jr world and so on.

I am thinking about not having him play tomorrow. Will it help him to go shoot 100 tomorrow and take last place?
Will the experience itself help him? I know he will be down on himself after the round.

I would say the answer to this question is dependent on what your objective for golf is for your son and his temperament.

If your main objective for him is participation and to develop lifelong enjoyment of the sport, I would not risk turning him off with a really bad experience, and would wait until he is a bit more seasoned.  Tournament golf means putting every ball in the hole (or maxing at 10 in US Kids), and I have seen even decent players hit a green in regulation and proceed to 5 or 6-putt.  It's a cruel sport even to those who are hooked - save that for when he's already got the bug.

If you are trying to determine whether this could be "the thing" for your son (I am a believer every kid needs to feel like they are good at something, on a relative scale), letting him play will accelerate that process.  To maximize one's potential in anything takes proper focus (coaching), hard work and grit.  The latter is a curious thing, and comes naturally to some kids, but for others it typically revolves around "love" and self-motivation.  If he gets turned off from a bad initial tournament experience he probably won't have the passion it takes to play at a reasonably competitive level for his potential anyway.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1717

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

One day events mean absolutely nothing.  He has to get his feet wet sometime.  Let him play.

#8 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17434

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postleezer99, on 23 March 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

I was really conflicted on this so I asked the brains of the house (my wonderful wife) what she thought... she said he plays.  There's always going to be his first tournament so get that out of the way sooner than later.  Also, just let him know how good the other kids are and that you're probably going to come in last.  One thing we both agreed on was that this could be used as a great benchmark for future tournaments.  

The reason I was conflicted was because I like setting kids up for success.  Doesn't sound like you've had that opportunity so go for it and make the best of it.

They also need to learn how to fail.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#9 linkerpan

linkerpan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134575
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Why are you not playing 18 today with him?
M4 460, 8.5 Rogue 70
Tee EX10 Tour, 13, Hzrdus Yellow
SLDR 19, Ahina 70S
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Vokey SM6 56/14, 60/07
Kingston KP1

M1 430, 8.5 Hzrdus Black 75
SLDR T 14, Ahina 70S
Stage 2 19h, Altus 85
910h, 21, 24 with Ahina 90h S
Mizuno MP25 6-7i, MP5 8i-PW
Kingston GSS
Mizuno MP-T5 52/06, 56-10, 60-06

Kirkland Signature balls
Bushnell V2 range finder
Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag/Ogio Ozone XX Stand Bag with Woodie

WITB Link

#10 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

Did he play?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 weavej1

weavej1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47563
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

View PostLukePete, on 23 March 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Hello,

Let’s play, every journey begins w the first step.  Here is his first step.  Make sure he has the lightest bag possible, has water and some energy bars /bananas for the round.  The expectation isn’t for the win, the expectation is to finish, w a positive outlook.

#12 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• 5,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 1182

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostSean2, on 24 March 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 23 March 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

They also need to learn how to fail.

BINGO
JBeam BM-435 Blackout 10* Matrix TP7HDX
TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
PING S55 4-W DGTI X100
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 56SS, & 60ES DGTI S400
Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0

#13 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

How did it go?

Living in cold weather/snow states makes signing up for tournaments this time of year dicey.  I always let my son decide but my personal feeling is that you should be tournament ready or at least close to it.  If not, just go play/practice that day and get yourself ready for the next one.  There is no shortage of tournaments (at least in my area) so nothing wrong with being selective in that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors