Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Old SkyCaddie SGX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 InTheHole

InTheHole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62339
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

So took a bunch of years off from golf.  I'm getting back into it now and I'm going through my old equipment.  I'd like to keep what is still useful and minimize the cost of replacing the essentials.

I have a SkyCaddie SGX.  Worth keeping?  Worth selling?  Boat anchor?  Should I switch to a laser range finder or stick with the GPS?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cxissi

cxissi

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

I still have the sgx/w , I use it on courses I am not familiar with  like on golf trips it is very accurate . What I like about it is the ability to
see how far it is to hazards and to carry them by moving the cursor around. Other than that I use my bushnell to hit pins with in everday play.

#3 Shrinkwr4p

Shrinkwr4p

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241841
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

I had an SG5 which died recently. A friend gave me his SGX. He'd given up on it . He hated the annual subscription.

I also have a golf buddy WTX which my wife gave me for Christmas.

Neither is perfect but on balance I think I prefer the SGX. I object to the annual outlay but it's a more intuitive interface and quicker and easier to use than the GBuddy. (Tho it's more complicated and less useful than the SG5 it replaced.)

I walk and have a push cart with a mount for the SGX so the numbers are on display as I arrive at the ball. The WTX is more of a faff.

I don't like having the WTX on my wrist and it's a real nuisance if your wearing waterproofs which we do a lot here. It gets a bit sweaty in the occassional heat too.

I think I'm going to sell the WTX.

So if I were you I'd stick with the Skycaddie. You'll have the sub to pay but if you get 3 or 4 years out of it before it dies you'll still be better off than if you were to shell out for something new.

Edited by Shrinkwr4p, 05 April 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#4 Shrinkwr4p

Shrinkwr4p

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241841
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

Should have said - I have a Bushnell as well but the GPS gets more use. When I  take out the laser the old guys I play with hurl abuse, and, sometimes rocks in response to what they consider my ****ing about. Think they're right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors