Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chicago - Best Driving Range Facilities and Memberships

chicago driving range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MGMM

MGMM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 427540
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

So I live in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area in Chicago and anyone familiar with the area will know the only driving range within a reasonable distance is the Diversey Driving range. The facility itself is OK, but they essentially can price however they want and get away with murder as they are the only show in the area.

Case in point:
My goal (like every year) is to improve with practice between the 20 or so rounds I play during the season. Large bucket of balls (w/ advantage card) is $15. 15 x 1 time/week for 5 months is $300. Not crazy for a range pass, but what if I want to go more often? Oh, the play and practice program! Unlimited range buckets for $360 for a whole year, not bad....ahh the catch - for Diversey only from 7am-9am every day. So now I'm stuck on a schedule and have zero flexibility to practice those hours during the week. $360 suddenly not worth it...

My question is - does anyone in the area have a better option for practice? I would even consider something within a 15 minute drive after work. Diversey is convenient and within walking distance, but a better range pass option somewhere else would be enticing.

Thanks in advance

Taylormade 2017 M1 460 Project X HC Red 75
Taylormade r7 st 3w
Cobra F7 5-6 Fairway 18.5 deg
Mizuno MP-4 3 iron
Callaway XR Pro 5-AW KBS tour-v stiff
Callaway MD3 54 W, 58 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 mci711

mci711

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

MGMM, on 20 March 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

So I live in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area in Chicago and anyone familiar with the area will know the only driving range within a reasonable distance is the Diversey Driving range. The facility itself is OK, but they essentially can price however they want and get away with murder as they are the only show in the area.

Case in point:
My goal (like every year) is to improve with practice between the 20 or so rounds I play during the season. Large bucket of balls (w/ advantage card) is $15. 15 x 1 time/week for 5 months is $300. Not crazy for a range pass, but what if I want to go more often? Oh, the play and practice program! Unlimited range buckets for $360 for a whole year, not bad....ahh the catch - for Diversey only from 7am-9am every day. So now I'm stuck on a schedule and have zero flexibility to practice those hours during the week. $360 suddenly not worth it...

My question is - does anyone in the area have a better option for practice? I would even consider something within a 15 minute drive after work. Diversey is convenient and within walking distance, but a better range pass option somewhere else would be enticing.

Thanks in advance

Harborside? Going to be more than 15 minutes, but they have a really good practice area and when I lived in the city that is where I would always go. I had this same problem...Fixed it by moving to the suburbs.

#3 MGMM

MGMM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 427540
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

mci711, on 20 March 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

MGMM, on 20 March 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Case in point:

Thanks in advance

Harborside? Going to be more than 15 minutes, but they have a really good practice area and when I lived in the city that is where I would always go. I had this same problem...Fixed it by moving to the suburbs.

HA, my thoughts exactly. Love the city, but options are slim and suburb golf life is calling my name.

I'll look it up, but any idea on practice facility rates at Harborside? Love the course, played there a few times
Taylormade 2017 M1 460 Project X HC Red 75
Taylormade r7 st 3w
Cobra F7 5-6 Fairway 18.5 deg
Mizuno MP-4 3 iron
Callaway XR Pro 5-AW KBS tour-v stiff
Callaway MD3 54 W, 58 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

#4 zer0

zer0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229643
  • Ebay ID:orzoff123
GolfWRX Likes : 683

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

nope, you're completely screwed living where you do.   I live at Addison and Elston and even from there I've got a 25 minute drive with no traffic before I get to my closest practice facility.  With traffic it can be an hour.  It's the main reason I'm looking to move to the suburbs.

City living sucks when you love golf.

#5 ldchristopher

ldchristopher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431090
  • Handicap:2.5
  • Ebay ID:louchratis
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

The DesPlaines Golf Center is a much better value. It's obviously more difficult to get to than Diversey but it's a lot cheaper. They use limited flight range balls but it's still a solid facility.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 gram stiff
5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Kuro Kage XM TiNi 70 extra stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
4 iron: Mizuno MP-54 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
5 - 7 iron: Mizuno MP-5 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
8 iron PW: Mizuno MP-4 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52/8 58/10
Putter: LaJosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish
Back-up Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

#6 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 20413

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

A large bucket w/ Advantage Card is $11 at Jackson Park. The facility is not as good as Diversey, but if you simply want to beat a bucket of balls it gets the job done.

Yeah, Harborside would be the closest real facility. A large bucket (80) is $12, and an XL (180) is $22. Lakeshore/57th/Cornell/Stony isn't a horrible drive most of the time.

There's also Skokie Sports Park, 8 miles from Wrigley. They use an automatic tee system utilizing a debit card. Rates vary.

Edited by Argonne69, 21 March 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#7 Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205017
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

Harborside, if you like practicing in 15 mph winds.

Cantigny is my preferred joint, but it's a hike

#8 Chigolfer2

Chigolfer2

Snap Hook

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292163
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

Harborside you have to go early and beat the heavy inbound traffic back into the city.  Good grass range ... putting and chipping.  I think they were up to $11 for a bucket much bigger than Diversey and they are decent quality not the balls of clay at Diversey.  It's tough to drive down during the week...

#9 Jerryamanning

Jerryamanning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493250
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

For the city golfers, if you have ever thought about joining a private club, you should check out Riverside Golf Club. Its 10 miles west of the loop and the course, pool, and clubhouse all had a major renovations in the last couple years. There is also a range with a short game area and while its not in the same price point as a public course/range, its by far the best value in the area if you want a private club experience.  PM me if you would like more details.

Also tagged with chicago, driving range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors