Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Tiger Woods Biography

132 replies to this topic

#91 wingedfoot97

wingedfoot97

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136500
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

I read it too. Its not a Tiger bashing book by any means but they do not mince words when it comes to his past. Armen Keteyian is a well researched author and it shows. I wish they had expanded more on the new changes Tiger has made (for the good) but I would give this book 4.5 stars out of 5.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225273
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

It would be negligent of any golf fan to fail to acknowledge the brilliance of Tiger’s on course accomplishments and tact.  I still to this today am intrigued by his comeback.  Who knows if instances such as the one with the rental home owner are accurately depicted.  However, given the number of accounts of similar type instances there’s smoke where there’s fire.  You simply don’t treat people in this manner no matter who you are...imho.

View Postbscinstnct, on 15 April 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

View Postsoap1984, on 15 April 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

If you want a taste I'd suggest trying to find mad dog (chris russo's) interview with the two guys who wrote it. They are legitimate sports journalists and while I haven't read the book yet, I do prefer to have something well researched since everyone is reading things about tiger and interested in his life, might as well read something where hundreds of interviews have been conducted etc. I'd say before knocking it, try and find the interview referenced above because the authors seemed to really be fans of tiger by the end and, unlike the other books by Haney and Williams etc, they aren't scorned nor do they have any agenda or axe to grind; they have written several books on a variety of topics.

Is there anything in the book

That we did not already know?

Oh, here is a gem from the unbiased

"Tiger’s inability to show gratitude, apologize, or express appreciation was rooted in his warped upbringing,” Benedict and Keteyian write. “His mother pampered him like a prince, and his father rarely uttered the words thank you or I’m sorry. Tiger learned early and often that his needs were all that mattered. His unapologetically self-centered attitude was critical to his success in golf, but it had an utterly devastating impact on the way people perceived him.”

https://www.google.c...ft-as-a-man/amp

Wow, thats new ; )

Edited by Walter Sobchak, 16 April 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#93 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.1
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

Duplicate threads merged.
Taylormade M3, 9.5*, Rogue Silver 60 S
Callaway 816 16*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage 80-hyb S
Taylormade P-790, 4-AW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 36"

#94 tbowles411

tbowles411

Tiger and Phil friendly: The Apocalypse is upon us..

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5842

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

View Postwingedfoot97, on 16 April 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

I read it too. Its not a Tiger bashing book by any means but they do not mince words when it comes to his past. Armen Keteyian is a well researched author and it shows. I wish they had expanded more on the new changes Tiger has made (for the good) but I would give this book 4.5 stars out of 5.
Changes for the good don't sell books.  You have to throw bad in there so people are interested.  Even if you have to sensationalize some of it.  My wife gave me this book.  I'm in the middle of it.  It's not a bad book, but a lot of it is a rehash of his past.
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Vault Oslo
Ball: Titelist AVX

#95 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3544

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

View Postlegitimategolf, on 19 March 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Sounds tawdry and shallow! like something for chicks to read while laying on the beach.

View Postlegitimategolf, on 19 March 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Sounds tawdry and shallow! like something for chicks to read while laying on the beach.

To save time and money:

Biography Summation:
  • Brainwashed as a youth by military dad
  • Mommy developed him as a go-for-the-throat type of player
  • Won many junior tourneys and three US AMs
  • Rode the high for a while and won a ton of tournaments
  • Changed swing
  • Became the most recognized athlete on the planet
  • Changed swing
  • Became one of truly best golfers of all time
  • Started a foundation for kids
  • Changed the sport of golf
  • Signed Ferg’s program at a PGA event
  • Rode the high for a while and won a ton of tournaments
  • Changed swing
  • May have possibly juiced
  • Changed swing
  • Got married
  • Hit into the wrong bush, free drop, again in the bush, free drop, again, again, again…..
  • Was struck with a 7-iron to his head and his car
  • Went away, apologized, surgery, divorced came back, went away, came back
  • Appeared in mug shot and was associated with leaked nude pictures
  • Was seen drinking a quart of warm milk on a sidewalk (later claimed MILK was a bad choice)
  • Had fusion surgery, kicked the painkillers
  • Came back for round 2

#96 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 15619

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

https://www.golfdige...and-tiger-woods

For a short piece, it’s striking how much is wrong, in fact and in spirit, in the excerpt from the new Tiger Woods biography, about Bill Clinton’s role in the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center in February 2006 in Southern California.

I played golf with Tiger and President Clinton that day. As Counselor to President Clinton at the time, I oversaw everything having to do with the visit, and there is hardly an accurate or true word in the excerpt.

The whole notion that Tiger was disrespectful toward the President is completely false. The way the authors describe the round of golf (and the events surrounding it) is not only inaccurate, it’s mean-spirited. It was a casual, intimate round with a group of people who relished the chance to hear each other's off-the-record stories and enjoy the day together away from the rest of the world. As best I could ascertain, they came to the game with respect for each other and left it with more.

The authors claim there was “much wrangling” to get President Clinton to accept an invitation to attend the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center, and that President Clinton’s acceptance came with “conditions.” I suggested to Tiger and his representative that Tiger call President Clinton directly, just to make the invitation more personal. I suggested that President Clinton would love to play golf with Tiger before the event, if it could be arranged. There’s a world of difference between a suggestion and a condition.

President Clinton was delighted to be asked to come to the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center. For one thing, the education of under served young people is one of the core values of his life. For another, the President is consumed with golf and was mesmerized by Tiger’s ability. Tiger, as you would expect from a Stanford-educated young man who was the son of an Army officer, spoke to the former leader of the free world only with appropriate deference and respect.

Posted Image

The authors then claim Tiger spent the day “mostly riding alone in a golf cart.” Tiger and President Clinton shared a cart and were connected at the hip for most of the day. They also claim that Tiger was on his phone. Indeed, neither of which are true. I have dozens of pictures from that day and there is not one with Tiger on his phone or alone in his cart.

Edited by bscinstnct, 16 April 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#97 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 9859

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

View Postbscinstnct, on 16 April 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For a short piece, it’s striking how much is wrong, in fact and in spirit, in the excerpt from the new Tiger Woods biography, about Bill Clinton’s role in the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center in February 2006 in Southern California.

I played golf with Tiger and President Clinton that day. As Counselor to President Clinton at the time, I oversaw everything having to do with the visit, and there is hardly an accurate or true word in the excerpt.

The whole notion that Tiger was disrespectful toward the President is completely false. The way the authors describe the round of golf (and the events surrounding it) is not only inaccurate, it’s mean-spirited. It was a casual, intimate round with a group of people who relished the chance to hear each other's off-the-record stories and enjoy the day together away from the rest of the world. As best I could ascertain, they came to the game with respect for each other and left it with more.

The authors claim there was “much wrangling” to get President Clinton to accept an invitation to attend the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center, and that President Clinton’s acceptance came with “conditions.” I suggested to Tiger and his representative that Tiger call President Clinton directly, just to make the invitation more personal. I suggested that President Clinton would love to play golf with Tiger before the event, if it could be arranged. There’s a world of difference between a suggestion and a condition.

President Clinton was delighted to be asked to come to the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center. For one thing, the education of under served young people is one of the core values of his life. For another, the President is consumed with golf and was mesmerized by Tiger’s ability. Tiger, as you would expect from a Stanford-educated young man who was the son of an Army officer, spoke to the former leader of the free world only with appropriate deference and respect.

Posted Image

The authors then claim Tiger spent the day “mostly riding alone in a golf cart.” Tiger and President Clinton shared a cart and were connected at the hip for most of the day. They also claim that Tiger was on his phone. Indeed, neither of which are true. I have dozens of pictures from that day and there is not one with Tiger on his phone or alone in his cart.

Wow, thanks for posting that!

That episode figures prominently in one chapter and no sourcing except for an anonymous "observer" about their time on the course.

Always makes a difference when someone will put their name to it and go on the record.

That kind of stuff will raise the question of agenda/sloppy research or both for sure.  

And the book makes Band, who wrote the above, appear to be the source but careful not to say he is, so pretty slippery.

I can see why he wanted to put out that statement.

Thanks again, the number of credibility issues that article raises for the authors about their agenda and competence can't be understated.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 16 April 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#98 The Pearl

The Pearl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191768
GolfWRX Likes : 1274

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

Kid grows up in an unconventional/dysfunctional household.  Kid becomes a world talent and a celebrity.  Kid, now adult, once the curtain is pulled back it is revealed lives a dysfunctional life. Public stunned.

Have not seen this movie before.

#99 lilgrimm32

lilgrimm32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497454
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Just finished the book myself and would have to agree the negative is going to sell. I would have like to have seen more of the positives he has accomplished in the career but no one likes that. Right? lol.

#100 BottleCap

BottleCap

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Armen Keteyian is a snake

Titleist 915 D3 10.5 Kuro Kage XM 60 S
Titleist 915F 15 Fubuki J 70 S
Titleist 714 MB 3-PW DG S300
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 20,667 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 16 April 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 16 April 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For a short piece, it's striking how much is wrong, in fact and in spirit, in the excerpt from the new Tiger Woods biography, about Bill Clinton's role in the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center in February 2006 in Southern California.

The whole notion that Tiger was disrespectful toward the President is completely false. The way the authors describe the round of golf (and the events surrounding it) is not only inaccurate, it's mean-spirited. It was a casual, intimate round with a group of people who relished the chance to hear each other's off-the-record stories and enjoy the day together away from the rest of the world. As best I could ascertain, they came to the game with respect for each other and left it with more.

The authors claim there was "much wrangling" to get President Clinton to accept an invitation to attend the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center, and that President Clinton's acceptance came with "conditions." I suggested to Tiger and his representative that Tiger call President Clinton directly, just to make the invitation more personal. I suggested that President Clinton would love to play golf with Tiger before the event, if it could be arranged. There's a world of difference between a suggestion and a condition.

President Clinton was delighted to be asked to come to the opening of the Tiger Woods Learning Center. For one thing, the education of under served young people is one of the core values of his life. For another, the President is consumed with golf and was mesmerized by Tiger's ability. Tiger, as you would expect from a Stanford-educated young man who was the son of an Army officer, spoke to the former leader of the free world only with appropriate deference and respect.

Posted Image

The authors then claim Tiger spent the day "mostly riding alone in a golf cart." Tiger and President Clinton shared a cart and were connected at the hip for most of the day. They also claim that Tiger was on his phone. Indeed, neither of which are true. I have dozens of pictures from that day and there is not one with Tiger on his phone or alone in his cart.

Wow, thanks for posting that!

That episode figures prominently in one chapter and no sourcing except for an anonymous "observer" about their time on the course.

Always makes a difference when someone will put their name to it and go on the record.

That kind of stuff will raise the question of agenda/sloppy research or both for sure.  

And the book makes Band, who wrote the above, appear to be the source but careful not to say he is, so pretty slippery.

I can see why he wanted to put out that statement.

Thanks again, the number of credibility issues that article raises for the authors about their agenda and competence can't be understated.

Per the piece, here is the "author's" response,

"The authors respond: "In reality, it’s Band’s letter that is inaccurate. Our sources for this account were three people with direct involvement in the events that transpired. Let us be clear: We stand by the accuracy of our reporting."—Armen Keteyian and Jeff Benedict"

Incredible.

We have a source that was there, who played the round with TW and Clinton, and provides a detailed, systematic, take-down of the "author's" account. And this is all they have to say?

We seem to even have direct photo evidence to the contrary. Does TW look like he just jumped out of another cart to do a quick photo opp with Clinton? He has his bag in the cart and a wedge and putter in hand!!

Edited by bscinstnct, 16 April 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#102 BottleCap

BottleCap

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostTorreyPines, on 22 March 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Picked this up today, as some branches of Waterstone's in the UK received it early.

Couldn't resist reading the PEDs chapter first, to see if there was any more evidence that Tiger did or didn't use them.

I won't bother repeating stuff we already know about, and the only additional evidence that he did is pretty flimsy. An unnamed source who supposedly had knowledge of Galea's treatment of Woods's injured knee and Achilles said that the PRP injections also contained "miniscule" amounts of both testosterone and HGH, but that the injection was too localised to ever show up in a drug test.

On the other side of the fence, there's a circa page long statement at the end of the chapter from Dr. Mark Lindsay, who says that he never witnessed Tiger take, discuss, or ask for any PEDs, or even indirectly hint about the subject matter of banned substances. He also gave his professional opinion that from closely working with Tiger and observing his physique etc., he doesn't believe that he ever used PEDs.

Right, gonna make a start on the rest of the book now!

If he used PEDs, it was for recovery because if you've seen him in person he's not big at all, he's probably big for a golfer, but he looks like a guy that works out 3 days a week
Titleist 915 D3 10.5 Kuro Kage XM 60 S
Titleist 915F 15 Fubuki J 70 S
Titleist 714 MB 3-PW DG S300
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT

#103 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 20,667 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

https://www.indyweek...-of-tiger-woods

Deep Rough: Notes on Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian's Shoddy, Mean-Spirited New Biography of Tiger Woods

In the process of retrofitting Woods’s extraordinary story to their villainous specs, Benedict and Keteyian blow through several journalistic red lights, routinely getting names and dates wrong, misattributing or misrepresenting quotes and anecdotes, and indulging in wild flights of fancy concerning the mindset of an individual they had no access to over the course of the book's authoring.

Many of the mistakes and untruths in Benedict and Keteyian's book are careless errors of the sort that could have been easily fact-checked.

Other stories seem invented from whole cloth in order to advance their exhausting narrative. The authors cite a dinner following Woods's historic initial victory at the Masters in 1997 when Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer are part of a crowd that rises to give Woods a standing ovation. Neither man was at the dinner,

but the authors’ anxiety to place Woods in the presence of the two greatest rivals to his golfing preeminence proves too tempting a storyline to be disrupted by actual events. This kind of loose association with the facts is emblematic of a book whose eagerness to churn out a tabloid-worthy melodrama seems to persistently override basic journalistic integrity. (Questioned by Bob Ley on Tuesday's edition of ESPN's Outside The Lines regarding the multitude of egregious errors contained in Tiger Woods, the writers seem to take the novel tack that there are lots of things stipulated in the book, and at least some of them are accurate.)

#104 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 2450

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

I've ordered the book...I'm away on holiday next month so figured that it would be worth a read.
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#105 legitimategolf

legitimategolf

Fighting!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144779
GolfWRX Likes : 2564

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Poor timing for this book IMO. Right about now both the golf media and golf-watching public are by and large rooting for Tiger, and besides most have long since gotten their fill of Tiger dirt. I'd also say the authors grossly overestimated the ghoulishness of the public. We are not in 2009 anymore.

#106 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1247

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Here's what I LOVE about these type of books. When the target immediately has his PR team respond to the content, you usually know there is some truth the target doesn't want to get out, or they deny it.....Tiger has many on the enemy list, willing to talk......I'm sure Haney and Stevie could write their own book.......LOL

#107 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 2395

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

I read it....found it overrated.  There are a few gems in there but nothing shocking.
SYard T388
                TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
                Miura CB-57 3-PW
                Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
                                Old Titleist Blade

#108 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,737 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostEKELLY, on 16 April 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Here's what I LOVE about these type of books. When the target immediately has his PR team respond to the content, you usually know there is some truth the target doesn't want to get out, or they deny it.....Tiger has many on the enemy list, willing to talk......I'm sure Haney and Stevie could write their own book.......LOL

They did.

#109 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1247

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 16 April 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

They did.
Well Hawk, I know they didn't reveal EVERYTHING!......LOL

#110 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,737 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostEKELLY, on 16 April 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

They did.
Well Hawk, I know they didn't reveal EVERYTHING!......LOL

LOL, I have no doubt they could each put out better books with more entertaining anecdotes about Tiger.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#111 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3544

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

They did.

The book's title:

This sort of this thing is my bag, baby.
By Stevie Williams and Hank Haney, with a forward by Fluff Cowan's neighbor

#112 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 20,667 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

All the "some truth" that's fit to print ; )

Meantime, this Clinton piece of the book seems to be totally

Posted Image

Edited by bscinstnct, 16 April 2018 - 03:20 PM.

#113 soap1984

soap1984

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302819
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

View PostWalter Sobchak, on 16 April 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

It would be negligent of any golf fan to fail to acknowledge the brilliance of Tiger's on course accomplishments and tact.  I still to this today am intrigued by his comeback.  Who knows if instances such as the one with the rental home owner are accurately depicted.  However, given the number of accounts of similar type instances there's smoke where there's fire.  You simply don't treat people in this manner no matter who you are...imho.

View Postbscinstnct, on 15 April 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

View Postsoap1984, on 15 April 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

If you want a taste I'd suggest trying to find mad dog (chris russo's) interview with the two guys who wrote it. They are legitimate sports journalists and while I haven't read the book yet, I do prefer to have something well researched since everyone is reading things about tiger and interested in his life, might as well read something where hundreds of interviews have been conducted etc. I'd say before knocking it, try and find the interview referenced above because the authors seemed to really be fans of tiger by the end and, unlike the other books by Haney and Williams etc, they aren't scorned nor do they have any agenda or axe to grind; they have written several books on a variety of topics.

Is there anything in the book

That we did not already know?

Oh, here is a gem from the unbiased

"Tiger's inability to show gratitude, apologize, or express appreciation was rooted in his warped upbringing," Benedict and Keteyian write. "His mother pampered him like a prince, and his father rarely uttered the words thank you or I'm sorry. Tiger learned early and often that his needs were all that mattered. His unapologetically self-centered attitude was critical to his success in golf, but it had an utterly devastating impact on the way people perceived him."

https://www.google.c...ft-as-a-man/amp

Wow, thats new ; )

Not sure why you quoted me in this? I just said the book appeared to be well-researched and there were some interesting things mentioned in the interview; I am a Tiger fan (a huge one).

First off, the entire book doesn't have to be new information to add something to the conversation and be worth reading.

Second, cherry picking a quote (from a 500-page book) and stating that the book isn't saying anything new isn't exactly what I would call definitive proof of your assertion. The authors did not seem to have an agenda but perhaps they do; as I said I have not read the book, again all I am saying is that based on what I have heard it may be worth reading and is more likely to be unbiased compared to others.

Anyway, I suppose no point in trying to argue any further; apparently any book related to logical reasoning is also on your list of "do not read" alongside books about Tiger.

I implore anyone (with an open mind) to search out the interview with the authors; it was very good radio, whether you love or hate tiger. I have bought the book and will read it.
M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
Ping G 2 Hybrid, G25 3 and 4 hybrid
PXG 0311 5 iron, 0311T 6-w (Modus 105)
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60
Brandon H

#114 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 20,667 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

"I played golf with Tiger and President Clinton that day. As Counselor to President Clinton at the time, I oversaw everything having to do with the visit, and there is hardly an accurate or true word in the excerpt."

"I spoke to one of the authors before the book was published but wasn’t asked about any of the specifics of that round or about any of the absurd allegations they made about Tiger's behavior that day."

-Doug Band, a former deputy assistant and counselor to President Bill Clinton

So, why didnt the "authors" ask Band, the person who actually played in the round and oversaw all the planning, "any of the specifics of that round or about any of the absurd allegations they made about Tiger's behavior that day."?

If *anyone* can provide a credible answer, Ill buy the book ; )

Edited by bscinstnct, 16 April 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#115 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,737 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 16 April 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

"I played golf with Tiger and President Clinton that day. As Counselor to President Clinton at the time, I oversaw everything having to do with the visit, and there is hardly an accurate or true word in the excerpt."

"I spoke to one of the authors before the book was published but wasn't asked about any of the specifics of that round or about any of the absurd allegations they made about Tiger's behavior that day."

So, why didnt the "authors" ask Band, the person who actually played in the round and oversaw all the planning, "any of the specifics of that round or about any of the absurd allegations they made about Tiger's behavior that day."?

Come on that's too easy, the very credible answer is they didn't want the truth to get in the way of their real message and they have no journalistic ethics.

#116 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 20,667 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 16 April 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

"I spoke to one of the authors before the book was published but wasn't asked about any of the specifics of that round or about any of the absurd allegations they made about Tiger's behavior that day."

Come on that's too easy, the very credible answer is they didn't want the truth to get in the way of their real message and they have no journalistic ethics.

Thanks, a lot, Hawk. Guess I have to buy this rag now?

; )

#117 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,737 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 16 April 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 16 April 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Thanks, a lot, Hawk. Guess I have to buy this rag now?

; )

LOL, they are just words! My tip - read it before you need to chop some wood or you are headed to a shooting range.

#118 tssgj65

tssgj65

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117101
  • Handicap:+.5
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

View Postb.helts, on 15 April 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

View Posttssgj65, on 15 April 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Just in the excerpts I have seen there was a simple error that should not be made if it was indeed "thoroughly" researched.  Hurts the credibility of the book in my mind.  I'm sure there are many bits that are true though.  Personally I don't care to buy it.

Slow your roll kemosabe. What was this simple error in an excerpt?

Inquiring minds want to know.
OK Tonto.  His college coach at Stanford, who is a hall of famer and revered in college golf, is Wally Goodwin - not Wally Goodman.  Embarrassing if so well researched.

#119 jonsnow

jonsnow

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 843

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostAnchor44, on 21 March 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Posttdk8180, on 19 March 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Tiger has led a very interesting life.  If you think about it...very similar pattern to OJ Simpson.
Tiger killed someone?

Only if you count Ernie Els.
WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 50,54, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

#120 jonsnow

jonsnow

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 843

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

View Postferrispgm, on 21 March 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

It's sad that just as someone rises up there is always someone else who is eager to take them down even more quickly.

"It's the nail that sticks up that gets hammered down"

"It's the spouting whale that gets harpooned"

Take your pick

WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 50,54, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors