Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Vokey SM7 D Grind Opinions?


38 replies to this topic

#31 uflorida1

uflorida1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333497
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

View PostParkUlrich, on 17 March 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postuflorida1, on 17 March 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

You guys are such a wealth of knowledge! Can't thank you enough.

So using an S Grind as a baseline because it is pretty neutral is this how you'd rank it?
Easier to flop: M, high bounce M, V, D (hardest), S
Best for Normal fairway full swing if you're steepish: S, D, V, High Bounce M, M

I'm not sure in comparison exactly, but I would put a V grind up there with an L grind as far as opening it up and flopping it.

V, M, D, S (Not 100% sure between the D and S but would assume the D would be easier)
So what is the weakness of the V grind? (Going back to the ‘cant have it all’ theme)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 scott3usa

scott3usa

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31619
  • Joined: 06/13/2007
  • Location:Northwestern Pa
  • Ebay ID:Scott3usa
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

View Postuflorida1, on 17 March 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

View PostParkUlrich, on 17 March 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postuflorida1, on 17 March 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

You guys are such a wealth of knowledge! Can't thank you enough.

So using an S Grind as a baseline because it is pretty neutral is this how you'd rank it?
Easier to flop: M, high bounce M, V, D (hardest), S
Best for Normal fairway full swing if you're steepish: S, D, V, High Bounce M, M

I'm not sure in comparison exactly, but I would put a V grind up there with an L grind as far as opening it up and flopping it.

V, M, D, S (Not 100% sure between the D and S but would assume the D would be easier)
So what is the weakness of the V grind? (Going back to the 'cant have it all' theme)
I was wondering this as well
Cobra Bio Cell+, Mitsubishi Diamana BLUE S+ 72 x5ct
Cobra F7 3 Wood, Fujikura Pro
Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid, Fujikura Motore Tour Spec
Wilson Staff C-300, 5 thru GW, Fujikura Pro 78i
Titleist Vokey SM7 54/14F TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore

Titleist Vokey SM7 60/10S TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance Putter
Srixon Q-Star Tour / Wilson Staff Duo Soft

2

#33 scott3usa

scott3usa

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31619
  • Joined: 06/13/2007
  • Location:Northwestern Pa
  • Ebay ID:Scott3usa
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

I rolled the dice and ordered the 58/12 D.  What the hell,  I'm sure I've made worse decisions :)
Cobra Bio Cell+, Mitsubishi Diamana BLUE S+ 72 x5ct
Cobra F7 3 Wood, Fujikura Pro
Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid, Fujikura Motore Tour Spec
Wilson Staff C-300, 5 thru GW, Fujikura Pro 78i
Titleist Vokey SM7 54/14F TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore

Titleist Vokey SM7 60/10S TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance Putter
Srixon Q-Star Tour / Wilson Staff Duo Soft

3

#34 Hokie2k5

Hokie2k5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75551
  • Joined: 02/18/2009
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Just read this whole post and founding it very informational.  

I'm re-tooling my wedges for a couple reasons 1) my wedges are at least 3-4 years old and it's time & 2) I got a new set of irons and my PW is now 45 and it's going to throw off my wedge gaps a little.  It would would make the most sense to go PW (45)/50/54/58 but I've been playing a SM6 46F/SM5 50F (bent to 51)/SM5 56S/SM6 60S for a long time and I use my 56S as my "go to" chipping pitching club probably more than 60% of the time I miss the green.  I'm comfortable with it, I know what to expect and I'm typically pretty good with it.

So I'm figuring I'll go with the S grind in the 54 but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on the 58.  My initial thought was to go with 58S and just keep it consistent but I will have to open this up a lot more for higher shots and the S grind isn't nearly as versatile there.  Oddly enough, I can open up my current SM5 56S without much issue at all but my SM6 60S tends to want to dig when I do (especially in softer conditions).  I am a fairly steep full swing player but around the greens I'd consider myself pretty moderate.  

I've had a K in the past and hated the wide sole around the greens and I've had an M grind in the past but swapped it out for the 60S because I liked my 56S so much.  As confident as I am with my 56S, I'm not nearly as confident with my 60S which is why I think it might be better off going with a D grind or perhaps back to an M.

My goal is to try both but we're a long way to having nice turf in VA and right now it's a sloppy mess in VA and I'd really like to get my wedges on order sooner rather than later.  Just was curious to hear eveyone's thoughts on this.

Edited by Hokie2k5, 21 March 2018 - 01:22 PM.

917D2 9.5* Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver TiNi 70TX
917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 80TX
816H1 19* MRC Tensei Blue 80X
718 TMB 4-W KBS $-Taper S+
SM7 50F/54S/58D KBS Tour S+
Cameron 009 SSS 350

4

#35 Aviador Naval

Aviador Naval

    equus mortuus non caedis

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305849
  • Joined: 04/04/2014
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

View PostHokie2k5, on 21 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Just read this whole post and founding it very informational.  

I'm re-tooling my wedges for a couple reasons 1) my wedges are at least 3-4 years old and it's time & 2) I got a new set of irons and my PW is now 45 and it's going to throw off my wedge gaps a little.  It would would make the most sense to go PW (45)/50/54/58 but I've been playing a SM6 46F/SM5 50F (bent to 51)/SM5 56S/SM6 60S for a long time and I use my 56S as my "go to" chipping pitching club probably more than 60% of the time I miss the green.  I'm comfortable with it, I know what to expect and I'm typically pretty good with it.

So I'm figuring I'll go with the S grind in the 54 but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on the 58.  My initial thought was to go with 58S and just keep it consistent but I will have to open this up a lot more for higher shots and the S grind isn't nearly as versatile there.  Oddly enough, I can open up my current SM5 56S without much issue at all but my SM6 60S tends to want to dig when I do (especially in softer conditions).  I am a fairly steep full swing player but around the greens I'd consider myself pretty moderate.  

I've had a K in the past and hated the wide sole around the greens and I've had an M grind in the past but swapped it out for the 60S because I liked my 56S so much.  As confident as I am with my 56S, I'm not nearly as confident with my 60S which is why I think it might be better off going with a D grind or perhaps back to an M.

My goal is to try both but we're a long way to having nice turf in VA and right now it's a sloppy mess in VA and I'd really like to get my wedges on order sooner rather than later.  Just was curious to hear eveyone's thoughts on this.

I live in sloppy VA as well.

I owned both 58K and 60K in the past.  For my technique, excellent for fluffy bunkers.  Not useful anywhere else.

I had a 58S recently.  "On paper," it was perfect for how I play and what I needed it to do.  In practice, it was a beer fart.  About 3 weeks ago, I put it in the trunk and said I'd never again use a wedge with greater than 56 degrees of loft.

On a whim, I bought a 58D.  It is nearly as automatic from bunkers as the K model and very easy to chip/pitch with around the green.  It is easy enough to open a few degrees for the occasional flop shot.  I usually "take my medicine" when short sided and only really hit the flop shot when I need to clear a shrub or something around the green.  While I have generally used the lowest lofted wedge I can get away with in the past, the 58D may become my 'go-to' club around the green as I continue to become familiar with it and gain some confidence.  I'm don't use it outside of about 50 yds as in our neck of the woods, greens are soft enough I can fire a 54 degree wedge at a front pin and expect it to stop without any issues.

FWIW, my next lowest lofted wedge is a 54F.  I broke out the dremel and transformed it into an almost 54S with a bit of heel relief and a very light trim of the flange..  It is my primary club for approaches.  I also have an old SM5 54M that is still in decent shape that may see some playing time if things get firm.

Bottom line:  I really like the 58D and find it easier to use than the 58S and more versatile than the 58K.  I'm comfortable with basically 54S in the next slot.

As an aside, I am basically a meat/potatoes, navy blue blazer with khakis, missionary position type of guy with my short game - line up square, use the bounce, and let the manufactured loft of the club drive the trajectory for the most part rather than manipulate the clubface beyond just a small tweak on occasion.  If Vokey made a 56D, I'd grab one in a heartbeat use it as my highest lofted club.


5

#36 scott3usa

scott3usa

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31619
  • Joined: 06/13/2007
  • Location:Northwestern Pa
  • Ebay ID:Scott3usa
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostAviador Naval, on 21 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

View PostHokie2k5, on 21 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Just read this whole post and founding it very informational.  

I'm re-tooling my wedges for a couple reasons 1) my wedges are at least 3-4 years old and it's time & 2) I got a new set of irons and my PW is now 45 and it's going to throw off my wedge gaps a little.  It would would make the most sense to go PW (45)/50/54/58 but I've been playing a SM6 46F/SM5 50F (bent to 51)/SM5 56S/SM6 60S for a long time and I use my 56S as my "go to" chipping pitching club probably more than 60% of the time I miss the green.  I'm comfortable with it, I know what to expect and I'm typically pretty good with it.

So I'm figuring I'll go with the S grind in the 54 but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on the 58.  My initial thought was to go with 58S and just keep it consistent but I will have to open this up a lot more for higher shots and the S grind isn't nearly as versatile there.  Oddly enough, I can open up my current SM5 56S without much issue at all but my SM6 60S tends to want to dig when I do (especially in softer conditions).  I am a fairly steep full swing player but around the greens I'd consider myself pretty moderate.  

I've had a K in the past and hated the wide sole around the greens and I've had an M grind in the past but swapped it out for the 60S because I liked my 56S so much.  As confident as I am with my 56S, I'm not nearly as confident with my 60S which is why I think it might be better off going with a D grind or perhaps back to an M.

My goal is to try both but we're a long way to having nice turf in VA and right now it's a sloppy mess in VA and I'd really like to get my wedges on order sooner rather than later.  Just was curious to hear eveyone's thoughts on this.

I live in sloppy VA as well.

I owned both 58K and 60K in the past.  For my technique, excellent for fluffy bunkers.  Not useful anywhere else.

I had a 58S recently.  "On paper," it was perfect for how I play and what I needed it to do.  In practice, it was a beer fart.  About 3 weeks ago, I put it in the trunk and said I'd never again use a wedge with greater than 56 degrees of loft.

On a whim, I bought a 58D.  It is nearly as automatic from bunkers as the K model and very easy to chip/pitch with around the green.  It is easy enough to open a few degrees for the occasional flop shot.  I usually "take my medicine" when short sided and only really hit the flop shot when I need to clear a shrub or something around the green.  While I have generally used the lowest lofted wedge I can get away with in the past, the 58D may become my 'go-to' club around the green as I continue to become familiar with it and gain some confidence.  I'm don't use it outside of about 50 yds as in our neck of the woods, greens are soft enough I can fire a 54 degree wedge at a front pin and expect it to stop without any issues.

FWIW, my next lowest lofted wedge is a 54F.  I broke out the dremel and transformed it into an almost 54S with a bit of heel relief and a very light trim of the flange..  It is my primary club for approaches.  I also have an old SM5 54M that is still in decent shape that may see some playing time if things get firm.

Bottom line:  I really like the 58D and find it easier to use than the 58S and more versatile than the 58K.  I'm comfortable with basically 54S in the next slot.

As an aside, I am basically a meat/potatoes, navy blue blazer with khakis, missionary position type of guy with my short game - line up square, use the bounce, and let the manufactured loft of the club drive the trajectory for the most part rather than manipulate the clubface beyond just a small tweak on occasion.  If Vokey made a 56D, I'd grab one in a heartbeat use it as my highest lofted club.
Thanks for sharing this,  it makes me feel even better about my impulse buy.  Love your setup :)
Cobra Bio Cell+, Mitsubishi Diamana BLUE S+ 72 x5ct
Cobra F7 3 Wood, Fujikura Pro
Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid, Fujikura Motore Tour Spec
Wilson Staff C-300, 5 thru GW, Fujikura Pro 78i
Titleist Vokey SM7 54/14F TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore

Titleist Vokey SM7 60/10S TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance Putter
Srixon Q-Star Tour / Wilson Staff Duo Soft

6

#37 Hokie2k5

Hokie2k5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75551
  • Joined: 02/18/2009
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostAviador Naval, on 21 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

View PostHokie2k5, on 21 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Just read this whole post and founding it very informational.  

I'm re-tooling my wedges for a couple reasons 1) my wedges are at least 3-4 years old and it's time & 2) I got a new set of irons and my PW is now 45 and it's going to throw off my wedge gaps a little.  It would would make the most sense to go PW (45)/50/54/58 but I've been playing a SM6 46F/SM5 50F (bent to 51)/SM5 56S/SM6 60S for a long time and I use my 56S as my "go to" chipping pitching club probably more than 60% of the time I miss the green.  I'm comfortable with it, I know what to expect and I'm typically pretty good with it.

So I'm figuring I'll go with the S grind in the 54 but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on the 58.  My initial thought was to go with 58S and just keep it consistent but I will have to open this up a lot more for higher shots and the S grind isn't nearly as versatile there.  Oddly enough, I can open up my current SM5 56S without much issue at all but my SM6 60S tends to want to dig when I do (especially in softer conditions).  I am a fairly steep full swing player but around the greens I'd consider myself pretty moderate.  

I've had a K in the past and hated the wide sole around the greens and I've had an M grind in the past but swapped it out for the 60S because I liked my 56S so much.  As confident as I am with my 56S, I'm not nearly as confident with my 60S which is why I think it might be better off going with a D grind or perhaps back to an M.

My goal is to try both but we're a long way to having nice turf in VA and right now it's a sloppy mess in VA and I'd really like to get my wedges on order sooner rather than later.  Just was curious to hear eveyone's thoughts on this.

I live in sloppy VA as well.

I owned both 58K and 60K in the past.  For my technique, excellent for fluffy bunkers.  Not useful anywhere else.

I had a 58S recently.  "On paper," it was perfect for how I play and what I needed it to do.  In practice, it was a beer fart.  About 3 weeks ago, I put it in the trunk and said I'd never again use a wedge with greater than 56 degrees of loft.

On a whim, I bought a 58D.  It is nearly as automatic from bunkers as the K model and very easy to chip/pitch with around the green.  It is easy enough to open a few degrees for the occasional flop shot.  I usually "take my medicine" when short sided and only really hit the flop shot when I need to clear a shrub or something around the green.  While I have generally used the lowest lofted wedge I can get away with in the past, the 58D may become my 'go-to' club around the green as I continue to become familiar with it and gain some confidence.  I'm don't use it outside of about 50 yds as in our neck of the woods, greens are soft enough I can fire a 54 degree wedge at a front pin and expect it to stop without any issues.

FWIW, my next lowest lofted wedge is a 54F.  I broke out the dremel and transformed it into an almost 54S with a bit of heel relief and a very light trim of the flange..  It is my primary club for approaches.  I also have an old SM5 54M that is still in decent shape that may see some playing time if things get firm.

Bottom line:  I really like the 58D and find it easier to use than the 58S and more versatile than the 58K.  I'm comfortable with basically 54S in the next slot.

As an aside, I am basically a meat/potatoes, navy blue blazer with khakis, missionary position type of guy with my short game - line up square, use the bounce, and let the manufactured loft of the club drive the trajectory for the most part rather than manipulate the clubface beyond just a small tweak on occasion.  If Vokey made a 56D, I'd grab one in a heartbeat use it as my highest lofted club.

Thanks for this reply - I think the D is definitely something for me to try.
917D2 9.5* Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver TiNi 70TX
917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 80TX
816H1 19* MRC Tensei Blue 80X
718 TMB 4-W KBS $-Taper S+
SM7 50F/54S/58D KBS Tour S+
Cameron 009 SSS 350

7

#38 scott3usa

scott3usa

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31619
  • Joined: 06/13/2007
  • Location:Northwestern Pa
  • Ebay ID:Scott3usa
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Just wasn't feeling it with the D grind.  Sold it and replacing it with the 60/10S.  Hard to explain,  but it felt like it had a lot more bounce than 12*.  Just didn't get along with it and actually hit a wider array of shots with my 54/14F.  Live and learn :)
Cobra Bio Cell+, Mitsubishi Diamana BLUE S+ 72 x5ct
Cobra F7 3 Wood, Fujikura Pro
Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid, Fujikura Motore Tour Spec
Wilson Staff C-300, 5 thru GW, Fujikura Pro 78i
Titleist Vokey SM7 54/14F TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore

Titleist Vokey SM7 60/10S TT DG AMT w/ Sensicore
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance Putter
Srixon Q-Star Tour / Wilson Staff Duo Soft

8

#39 bhend4

bhend4

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60355
  • Joined: 07/13/2008
  • Location:Indiana
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

I had the 58K grind for a year and half.  good at everything, great at nothing.  i put the D grind in the bag a couple weeks ago, and its fantastic. !!   So much better around the green and i haven't lost anything from the bunkers.. i haven't hit full shots yet but I'm thrilled with what its giving me around the greens.   So far so good.

9



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors