Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Range Finder

44 replies to this topic

#31 smalls

smalls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115585
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

I'm not a junior, but I just picked up a Leupold Pincaddie 2.  If I were going to give a kid a rangefinder, this is the one.  Durable plastic body with grippy rubber panels, 1 button operation, just gives you the basics, and no slope makes it USGA Legal.  IT's super easy to use, durable, and reliable.

Edited by smalls, 07 May 2018 - 01:57 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

I play with a Nikon Cool Shot. However, my son is 8 and rarely needs to range anything outside of 130 yards so he plays with a Simmons Hunting finder I got at Dicks for $80. Honestly it works great. It is bigger and reads great for him. As well, the fact that it takes a little finesse to get the flag is good for him honestly. He prefers it over my cool shot and the difference is never more than 1-2 yards. If he drowns or breaks this one I won't be nearly as hurt as if he had busted a $300 Bushnell.

Edited by BloctonGolf11, 07 May 2018 - 02:18 PM.

Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

#33 JDollplaysgolf

JDollplaysgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459014
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Nikon rangefinders are great on a budget... Only problem is that they are pretty small and easy to lose or steal. Had my Nikon stolen out of its case at a tournament from the inside of my bag and since its so small, you could easily fit it in your pocket and the person walked off with it while I was signing my scorecard
Driver: Ping G400 LST 7.9*  Project X Hzrdus Black 65 6.5 flex
3 wood: Cobra F6 Blue 13.5*  Aldila Tour Green 75 Tour X Flex
Driving Iron: Adams Pro DHY 18*  Aldila Tour Green 105 Hybrid Tour X Flex
Irons: Ping iBlade (3-PW) Yellow Dot, +1/2 inch  Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: Callaway MD Forged Chrome 50* 54* 58*  Dynamic Golf S200 Tour Issue
Putter: Odyssey Marksman XG Black
Ball: Snell MTB Red

#34 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1379

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostJDollplaysgolf, on 15 May 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

Nikon rangefinders are great on a budget... Only problem is that they are pretty small and easy to lose or steal. Had my Nikon stolen out of its case at a tournament from the inside of my bag and since its so small, you could easily fit it in your pocket and the person walked off with it while I was signing my scorecard

That stinks man.  No place in this world for thieves.  A golf tournament is the last place you would expect someone to steal from you.  I have heard stories and for that reason I don't let my kid use his Scotty Cameron head cover.  I had one custom made so no one would walk by and say "I am stealing that SC.".

#35 NEhomer

NEhomer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

I got a Nikon Cool shot 40 for $130.00 on ebay and couldn't be more pleased with it.

#36 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 May 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

That stinks man.  No place in this world for thieves.  A golf tournament is the last place you would expect someone to steal from you.  I have heard stories and for that reason I don't let my kid use his Scotty Cameron head cover.  I had one custom made so no one would walk by and say "I am stealing that SC.".

We had a bushnell v3 stolen out of my sons cart at a junior event a few weeks ago.

#37 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

View Postleezer99, on 15 May 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 May 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

We had a bushnell v3 stolen out of my sons cart at a junior event a few weeks ago.

Such a shame.. My son's is very personalized with his name on it, colored, and with stickers so there's no confusion that it's his.  Would be pretty easy to spot if it showed up one day in someone else's hands.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Evnroll ER2
Chrome Soft X

#38 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1528

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

We need to be more careful with rangefinders.  We normally hang it on the outside of our bag where it can easily get lost/stolen.

On another note, a buddy was telling me about a regional tournament they we playing in Vegas a few weeks ago.  My buddy notices that one of the dads is using a bushnell with slope.  This isn't the switch model either.  You basically interchange the front piece for slope capability.  My buddy asks the dad about it on the 4th hole and the dad automatically gets defensive and starts giving my buddy a guilt trip for calling him out.  Goes on further to say he doesn't think the slope is working.  Long story short, the dad blows up and storms off the course with his son mid round.  It was a shame because the other kid was playing well.  Even with a 10 on the hole he would have probably placed.
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade Aeroburnder 3&5 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Taylormade MG 52, 56
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

#39 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

View Postkekoa, on 15 May 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

We need to be more careful with rangefinders.  We normally hang it on the outside of our bag where it can easily get lost/stolen.

On another note, a buddy was telling me about a regional tournament they we playing in Vegas a few weeks ago.  My buddy notices that one of the dads is using a bushnell with slope.  This isn't the switch model either.  You basically interchange the front piece for slope capability.  My buddy asks the dad about it on the 4th hole and the dad automatically gets defensive and starts giving my buddy a guilt trip for calling him out.  Goes on further to say he doesn't think the slope is working.  Long story short, the dad blows up and storms off the course with his son mid round.  It was a shame because the other kid was playing well.  Even with a 10 on the hole he would have probably placed.

One of the exact reasons I don't own a slope model myself, never will, and will never allow my son to use one. For one thing adjusting for elevation differences is a skill he needs to handle on his own without the aide of a finder. It blows me away how overly dependent some juniors and adults are on rangefinders for every single shot. We rarely shoot anything inside of 50 yards because he has a variety of shots he can play from that distance and I think it is good for him to develop that sense of what is right from there based on his own judgment. However, we played with a kid whose dad was literally shooting every distance, including 10 yard chips. Kind of blew me away.
Dad's Bag

Son's Bag (8 years old)

#40 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1379

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostBloctonGolf11, on 16 May 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

One of the exact reasons I don't own a slope model myself, never will, and will never allow my son to use one. For one thing adjusting for elevation differences is a skill he needs to handle on his own without the aide of a finder. It blows me away how overly dependent some juniors and adults are on rangefinders for every single shot. We rarely shoot anything inside of 50 yards because he has a variety of shots he can play from that distance and I think it is good for him to develop that sense of what is right from there based on his own judgment. However, we played with a kid whose dad was literally shooting every distance, including 10 yard chips. Kind of blew me away.

Sean Foley says the same thing.  Leezer sent me a great Summit youtube video that he did in Cali a couple of years ago.  It was great and gave myself a different perspective of what Foley was about.  He said when he has a junior that is not hitting greens and striking the ball well, he will take the range finder away and make them play without it for a month.  Helps them to regain their focus.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

Found a picture of BloctonGolf if anyone is interested...

Posted Image

#42 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

View Postleezer99, on 16 May 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

Okay the image won't work and I am very interested in this....

Dad's Bag

Son's Bag (8 years old)

#43 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostBloctonGolf11, on 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

http://imgur.com/KzhuyJa

#44 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostBloctonGolf11, on 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

I am a teacher, I do wear bow ties to work, but definitely not math lol. However, pretty flippin accurate!
Dad's Bag

Son's Bag (8 years old)

#45 golfer929

golfer929

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458480
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Back in my day we stepped off the yardage’s! That will teach your son how to play golf

Edited by golfer929, 16 May 2018 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors