Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Issue: Fed Ex Points at Palmer and Memorial Events

Fed Ex Cup WGC World Golf Championships Exemptions Points Arnold Palmer Invitational Memorial Tournament

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64072
  • Joined: 08/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama USA
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

Greetings ....

As most here should know by now, beginning in 2015 winners of the Arnold Palmer Invitational and Memorial Tournament receive 3-season PGA Tour exemptions, putting the two events on equal footing with the World Golf Championship Events (WGC's) and the Tour Championship, at least as far as exempt status is concerned. However, the Fed Ex Cup points offered by the two events were -NOT- brought up to the level of the WGC events, meaning that first place is worth 500 points, rather than than the 550 points offered by the WGC events.

Does it strike you as kind of odd that the PGA Tour would grant to winners of Arnold Palmer's and Jack Nicklaus' events a 3-season exemption, but at the same time choose not to raise the Fed Ex point values of the two events as well??

Thanx-A-Lot! (But not to the PGA Tour)

Edited by Frank-0-Sport, 14 March 2018 - 11:01 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
  • Joined: 08/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 2404

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

Doesn't seem like a big deal. I would think the players care more about that 3 year tour card.

2

#3 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2574

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

If anything they should lower the amount of points given at a WGC.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

3

#4 ray9898

ray9898

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419990
  • Joined: 04/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Doesn't seem like a great concern.

4

#5 Ferguson

Ferguson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5552

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

View Postray9898, on 14 March 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

Doesn't seem like a great concern.

Agreed.

Chipotle's queso is a real concern.


5

#6 3jacker

3jacker

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51799
  • Joined: 03/19/2008
  • Location:Orlando, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

It doesn't strike me as odd.
They are 2 different organizations and there is no obligation for consistency
between their systems.
Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
                TM V-Steel 4wd  Protopype 80X
                Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
                Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
                Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
                Sizemore XB-1

6

#7 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Joined: 10/21/2010
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 2427

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

I wonder if the Tour granted the 3 year exemption in order to give the Tournaments just a little more status since Arnie is no longer with us...and eventually Jack won't be here (hopefully a long while from now.)

The players flocked to Byron's event because of Byron and since he's been gone the strength of field seems to have dropped.
SYard T388
                TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
                Miura CB-57 3-PW
                Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
                                Old Titleist Blade

7

#8 3jacker

3jacker

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51799
  • Joined: 03/19/2008
  • Location:Orlando, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

Who will be the next venerated great golfer to have such a tourney?

I can't think of one. Jack was the last.  One day, maybe Tiger if he can close out
the latter part of his career nicely.
Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
                TM V-Steel 4wd  Protopype 80X
                Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
                Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
                Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
                Sizemore XB-1

8

#9 puttfordoux

puttfordoux

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494520
  • Joined: 02/24/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

I think its fair. There's more at stake with the FedEx Cup. The WGCs are more exclusive. Why put someone in a fuller field who wins on equal footing, especially if they don't qualify for the WGCs?

9

#10 puttfordoux

puttfordoux

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494520
  • Joined: 02/24/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

View Post3jacker, on 14 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Who will be the next venerated great golfer to have such a tourney?

I can't think of one. Jack was the last.  One day, maybe Tiger if he can close out
the latter part of his career nicely.

At last count, Tiger has three tourneys. He just doesn't have the level of involvement that Jack has with his tourney, which makes Jack's tourney that much more special, in my opinion.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64072
  • Joined: 08/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama USA
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

Greetings ......

Some additional thoughts ..

I forgot to mention previously that in addition to the 3-season exemption, the purses of both the Arnold Palmer Invitational and Memorial Tournament have been boosted to where they are comparable to the WGC's and Fed Ex playoff events. There are other events offering exemptions of 3 or 5 seasons in addition to having larger purses and Fed Ex point values. So why couldn't both the Palmer and Memorial events have enhanced Fed Ex points as well ???

At another forum, a couple of folks replied to me that the Palmer and Memorial did not have enhanced Fed Ex point values because they were invitationals! My answer to that was to point out that events such as the Masters Tournament, the Players and PGA Championships, the WGC events and the four Fed Ex Cup Playoff events could be considered invitationals as well, and they have enhanced points, a large purse and (except for 3 of 4 playoff events) award either a 3 or 5-season exemption! I simply could fathom the reasoning of those responders!!
Thanx-A-Lot!

Edited by Frank-0-Sport, 15 March 2018 - 10:58 AM.


11

#12 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostFrank-0-Sport, on 14 March 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

Greetings ......

Some additional thoughts ..

I forgot to mention previously that in addition to the 3-season exemption, the purses of both the Arnold Palmer Invitational and Memorial Tournament have been boosted to where they are comparable to the WGC's and Fed Ex playoff events. There are other events offering exemptions of 3 or 5 seasons in addition to having larger purses and Fed Ex point values. So why couldn't both the Palmer and Memorial events have enhanced Fed Ex points as well ???

At another forum, a couple of folks replied to me that the Palmer and Memorial did not have enhanced Fed Ex point values because they were invitationals! My answer to that was to point out that events such as the Masters Tournament, the Players and PGA Championships, the WGC events and the four Fed Ex Cup Playoff events could be considered invitationals as well, and they have enhanced points, a large purse and (except for 3 of 4 playoff events) award either a 3 or 5-season exemption! I simply could fathom the reasoning of those responders!!

Oh BTW -- I also consider the winners-only Sentry Tournament of Champions to be an invitational event. But it is one that I would seriously consider revamping with a larger purse, 3-season exemption reward and enhanced Fed Ex points. However, all of that would be done -ONLY- on the condition that the field would have at least 50 winners rather than the random 25-35 per year. This can be easily done, and would include an assist from the Official World Golf Ranking Tournament Strength-of-Field stat.

Thanx-A-Lot!
https://www.pgatour....contact-us.html

12

#13 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12173

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like you are peddling this everywhere.

Not odd and well deserved and smart.

These are two of the most popular events and Memorial is closer to a major than The Players in many players' minds.


"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

13

#14 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

    Professional Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
  • Joined: 01/30/2013
  • Location:Quebec
  • Handicap:12.5
GolfWRX Likes : 678

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

View Postlumberman2462, on 14 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

I wonder if the Tour granted the 3 year exemption in order to give the Tournaments just a little more status since Arnie is no longer with us...and eventually Jack won't be here (hopefully a long while from now.)

The players flocked to Byron's event because of Byron and since he's been gone the strength of field seems to have dropped.

I would say yes - between he extra year and increased purse these two tournaments will continue to be strong for many years after the passing of Arnold and eventually Jack.
J40 445 (9.5)
X2 Hot Pro (15/19)
X Hot Pro (20), CLK FLi-Hi (23/26)
MP-53 6i to PW, MP-T5 (52/58)
Ping Anser 3

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors