Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

High Spin vs Low Spin Shaft

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 2045

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Hi - I was screwing around on a monitor recently and was hitting some M2s without really knowing anything about the Shafts.

I ended up getting great numbers with the Aldila 2KXV Orange. Launch was around 14 and Spin was around 2200. The ball was going a little left, but perhaps that was due to shaft flex.

I tried a Kuro Kage, but that spun way too much. I also tried the 2KXV Green and wasn't a fan. I currently use a Ping Tour 65 and while I like it, it does seem to Spin a bit much.

When I looked at the charts, I saw that the Orange shaft is high Spin and high launch.

Is it possible that I was able to get low Spin and good launch from this shaft even though it's not what it was designed for?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Valtiel

Valtiel

Hosel Rocket

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

View Postnochct1, on 13 March 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Hi - I was screwing around on a monitor recently and was hitting some M2s without really knowing anything about the Shafts.

I ended up getting great numbers with the Aldila 2KXV Orange. Launch was around 14 and Spin was around 2200. The ball was going a little left, but perhaps that was due to shaft flex.

I tried a Kuro Kage, but that spun way too much. I also tried the 2KXV Green and wasn't a fan. I currently use a Ping Tour 65 and while I like it, it does seem to Spin a bit much.

When I looked at the charts, I saw that the Orange shaft is high Spin and high launch.

Is it possible that I was able to get low Spin and good launch from this shaft even though it's not what it was designed for?

That depends on quite a few variables. Unless all the strikes were the same then spin discrepancies can be attributed to different strike qualities. Regarding high spin vs. low spin shafts though, its all about loft. Higher spinning/launching shafts are usually more flexible in the tip and sometimes in the mid section as well which provides more forward deflection (see below) approaching impact which increases launch and spin as well is slightly closes the face. Now this will vary A LOT depending on how you release the club. The later and more aggressive your release, the more forward deflection and the more launch/spin. Obviously the inverse is true as well and if your release is such that forward deflection is decreased/minimized then you won't see the high launch/high spin characteristics as much. Angle of attack also plays a role in this but I would imagine yours would have to be fairly positive in order to get those kinds of numbers (assuming your driver is a normal 8.5-10.5* of loft).

Aside from all that, without knowing your clubhead speed, swing style/tempo, or strike locations, this is all fairly speculative as to why you're seeing what you're seeing.

ShaftDeflection.JPG

Edited by Valtiel, 13 March 2018 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 13* Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Blueboard 93x

Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24*
Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-59 5i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image SM6 58* K-Grind Brunswick Precision R
ifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Special 62* V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 5952

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

The text is all very good - but that picture is all rolling shutter effect.   The actual amount of forward deflection, even with a softer shaft is going to be much smaller - more typically on the lines of 1/2" or maybe a touch more - even for very soft shafts and late releases if you in a reasonable flex for your swing speed.

Valtiel mentioned it but it needs to be emphasized a bit more.  The #1 factor by far in determining spin (for a driver or wood) is the impact location on the face.   If you are seeing large variations then it's a good bet that the face impact is the cause. Second would be the swing itself and the dynamic loft delivered (amount of forward or reverse shaft lean) at impact.  This can vary a bit with the bend profile or weight for some people based on how the person reacts to different feels from the shaft but more commonly wont change a lot with different shafts.   Face to can will also be a contributor the actual dynamic loft.

Next is the actual loft of the head and finally - typically in last place - is the contributions from the shaft bending.

View Postnochct1, on 13 March 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

So yes, it's very possible.

Next time, use some foot powder spray to see the actual impact location and how it might change with the different options.

Also when trying different shafts, it's usually more important to pay attention to shaft weight - swing weights (changing shafts can cause a change in swing weight) and playing lengths then the stiffness profile.

Edited by Stuart G., 14 March 2018 - 04:03 AM.

#4 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 2045

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

Thanks guys!

#5 Derek666

Derek666

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 260110
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yeah you need a proper slow mo camera to capture swing images thats just the camera joining frames.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors