Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Rule - How you prepare for and make a stroke

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

New rule for help with alignment effective January 1, 2019 that I suspect will help speed up play.  Thank god I never got into this habit.

How You Prepare for and Make a Stroke

Expanded restriction on caddie help with alignment: Your caddie is not allowed to stand on a line behind you from the time you begin taking your stance until you have made your stroke.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1574

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

View Postleezer99, on 12 March 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

New rule for help with alignment effective January 1, 2019 that I suspect will help speed up play.  Thank god I never got into this habit.

Expanded restriction on caddie help with alignment: Your caddie is not allowed to stand on a line behind you from the time you begin taking your stance until you have made your stroke.

Hopefully US Kids DO NOT make a local rule against this.  It is a huge problem in US Kids events for tee boxes, to fairways, to greens.  This will do two things for those kids.  1.  Teach them to do it on their own.  2.  Speed up play.  One of the most annoying things I ever dealt with in US Kids.

#3 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 March 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hopefully US Kids DO NOT make a local rule against this.  It is a huge problem in US Kids events for tee boxes, to fairways, to greens.  This will do two things for those kids.  1.  Teach them to do it on their own.  2.  Speed up play.  One of the most annoying things I ever dealt with in US Kids.

"You are way left......no, little right....mmmm, back a hair, good......no wait, back off and start over, you're taking too long"

#4 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

oh you know they will.  Just to piss you off :taunt:

Kidding aside I hope they don't.  It forces kids to do and think on their own.  The biggest group that it will hurt will be boys 6 and under and the girls 7 and under.  We play girls 7U and I see this all the time. Especially with he little ones that are 5 or so.

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

View Posthangontight, on 12 March 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

"You are way left......no, little right....mmmm, back a hair, good......no wait, back off and start over, you're taking too long"

:taunt:

Posted Image

#6 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

oh the joy of watching this week end and week out.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

View Postdarter79, on 12 March 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

oh you know they will.  Just to piss you off :taunt:

Kidding aside I hope they don't.  It forces kids to do and think on their own.  The biggest group that it will hurt will be boys 6 and under and the girls 7 and under.  We play girls 7U and I see this all the time. Especially with he little ones that are 5 or so.

Fortunately, we are not playing US Kids anymore.  Really enjoyed the years we did it together, but time to move on.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

View Postdarter79, on 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

I actually would get satisfaction when I would give my son a suggestion on the putting green and after he would make the putt him walking away handing me the putter saying "You were wrong.".

#9 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

I actually would get satisfaction when I would give my son a suggestion on the putting green and after he would make the putt him walking away handing me the putter saying "You were wrong.".

Yes I heard that quite often. I look forward to the day when I get fired. Might be sooner than later.

#10 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Tour Pros do it - seemed like an easy way to prevent a simple mistake

I do agree it should speed up play though

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 12 March 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

More prevalent on the LPGA than the PGA.

#12 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 12 March 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Tiger asked Joe LaCava for his input for some putts at the Valspar.  I'm pretty sure Joe was quick about it though.  I can only LOL at thinking about Joe standing behind Tiger going "no a little more to the right". :lol:

Edited by wildcatden, 12 March 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

My son asked me for a read on a putt one day and I replied, 'I have no idea buddy'... he says, 'What do I even have a caddie for then?'  Can't even remember if he made it or not since I was laughing my a** off.

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

I have shared this story countless times.  First season mine played US Kids Local was when he was 8.  We were walking down the 9th fairway after agonizing through watching a parent line up his kid on the tee box.  We are walking down the fairway and my son asks "Dad, why don't you help me line up shots and putts?"  I know he didn't get it at the time, but me response was "Son, every need to learn to wipe their a$$ sometime in life."  He just said after that "O.K. Dad.".

#15 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I am no expert and dont spend much time watching womens golf, but this seems to be more of an issue with the ladies & girls.  Am I off base?  I have no idea, but curious to know how fast (or slow) , in general, LPGA players play compared to PGA.

Been working on pace of play a lot with my 7 YO son.  Just trying to teach him the little tricks to keep going, be ready, its OK to walk ahead a little if other player is on other side of fairway, etc...stuff like that  He isn't slow, but he is 7 - cannot seem to talk and walk at same time.   Anytime he has something to say he stops walking, haha.    Yesterday we get to his ball and its clearly a SW feel shot, so no need to shoot yardage or anything else that will take extra time.  I turn to hand him his club just in time he takes a huge bite of apple.....soooo he has to finish his mouthful of apple (cant have him hit a shot with a mouthful of food on pause)........and then get a drink of water to wash it down...... haha..  Not the end of the world and really the timing was so bad I just laughed, but stuff like that adds up.   Back to the snacks between holes only policy.

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

View Posthangontight, on 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I am no expert and dont spend much time watching womens golf, but this seems to be more of an issue with the ladies & girls.  Am I off base?  I have no idea, but curious to know how fast (or slow) , in general, LPGA players play compared to PGA.

Been working on pace of play a lot with my 7 YO son.  Just trying to teach him the little tricks to keep going, be ready, its OK to walk ahead a little if other player is on other side of fairway, etc...stuff like that  He isn't slow, but he is 7 - cannot seem to talk and walk at same time.   Anytime he has something to say he stops walking, haha. Yesterday we get to his ball and its clearly a SW feel shot, so no need to shoot yardage or anything else that will take extra time.  I turn to hand him his club just in time he takes a huge bite of apple.....soooo he has to finish his mouthful of apple (cant have him hit a shot with a mouthful of food on pause)........and then get a drink of water to wash it down...... haha..  Not the end of the world and really the timing was so bad I just laughed, but stuff like that adds up.   Back to the snacks between holes only policy.

In junior golf with caddies it is just as prevalent with male as it is female players.  You get parents involved and they want to their kid to win more than their kids do at times.

It definitely happens more on the LPGA than the PGA.  I don't think LPGA players are any slower than the PGA players.  I would brand them as being equally as slow.

Always push the cart, carry bag, drive the cart to the back of the green when you can.  Parking on the side or front holds up players behind you.  It is one of my personal pet peeves.  

I walked with my son scouting a course on Saturday.  We played the front 9 in 2 hours and the back 9 in 1 and a half hours.  I thought I was going to pull my hair out waiting for the slow hackers on the front.  Was Brutal.  Fortunately, the two groups in front of us didn't play the back.   I have no idea how anyone can think being on the golf course and taking more than 4 hours to play is acceptable.  He shot a 72, no extra balls, no lost balls, no penalty strokes.  Just hit and moved to the next shot.

#17 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

I love the dads who read the putt, spot the ball at the right line, pull the kid to the side and make them practice the pace stroke, then help them line up for the putt, and watch them putt the ball in the hole. Then scream way to go kid, that's how it's done!

What exactly did they do? I make my kid read all his own putts. Heck, when we play for fun half the time I ask him what the read is as he scans my putts just as much as his own.

Don't handicap your kids, let them play the game. They will figure it out. Wining a medal at USK or going to Worlds isn't a big deal. Teaching them to handle it on their own is.
Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS 44.5"
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 19* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H Stock R Flex
Fly Z 4H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#18 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1580

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

My son's routine:

Driver/Irons- One practice stroke.  Stand behind the ball to see target.  Hit it.

Chips- Same

Putting- Same

Lately, I've been a bit guilty of helping him line up with the driver.  For some reason he's developed a shut stance out of no where.  Drives me crazy!!!
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade Aeroburnder 3&5 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Scratch TD DW 53*, 58*
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

#19 FSUGolfdog

FSUGolfdog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2204
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

My son was a fast player but had to slow down a little simply because every other kid he played with was slow and it bothered him.  This was when he was playing in the 12-16 age groups.  He's playing in college now and for some reason they have picked up the pace a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors