Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Comments on TW7 Wilson Wedges

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 etn

etn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24508
  • Ebay ID:thenewman5
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

In the market for new wedges and the same ole same ole vokey, 588's and cally's are not doing anything for me.

Has anybody put in play the TW7 by Wilson??

Comments??

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 saltcity

saltcity

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35794
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

I've always felt Wilson Staff makes great wedges.
My "money club" is still my Tw5 50* Gap wedge. Still play an old R-90 too.
Hit the Tw7 at a demo day. Very nice, soft feel, grabs the ball - head looked a bit smaller than the Tw5.

#3 skennedy

skennedy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2019

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Won a set last year in some contest or another...really like them.  Very grabby, as was said above.

That said, I don't have much of a pedigree to review wedges...I have limited experience in the "newer" wedges, beyond some Hogans that I tried out thanks to a friend's generosity.

#4 emc

emc

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14918
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

I think the fact Harrington uses them is endorsement enough. He is extremely pernickety with his clubs, particularly wedges, so for him to move to them from Vokey SM's (I think) shows they are good kit.

#5 etn

etn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

View Postemc, on Apr 25 2008, 05:17 PM, said:

I think the fact Harrington uses them is endorsement enough. He is extremely pernickety with his clubs, particularly wedges, so for him to move to them from Vokey SM's (I think) shows they are good kit.

That's was my thought emc.
Seems to very particular regarding such things.  Doesn't he wrap his grips something odd and rib in a certain spot on his victory grips?  I have seen some of his wedge shots with them and he SPINS the sucker!

#6 luxman

luxman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48890
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Just as a quick "beware" for those interested in these wedges, I purchased the 52 (which I had bent to 50), the 54 and 60 and each of them are 2 degrees upright.  So definitely have them checked out before you buy them.  

This said they are very solid wedges and I love the weight of them.  I was a little disappointed in the "bite" of them though.  I feel like my old Spin Milled Vokeys had significantly more bite than the Tw7s.  

I'm also not really thrilled with how the finish is holding up, or isn't holding up as the case may be.  I can take some pictures if anyone wants to see them, but if you saw my wedges you would never have thought that they have only been used for 6 rounds or so.

In the end I'm satisfied with them, but I think that when I replace my wedges next season I may go back to the Vokey SMs.

Edited by pelts35, 25 April 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#7 TempusFugit

TempusFugit

Acquafragile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52034

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

View Postpelts35, on Apr 25 2008, 06:55 PM, said:

Just as a quick "beware" for those interested in these wedges, I purchased the 52 (which I had bent to 50), the 54 and 60 and each of them are 2 degrees upright. So definitely have them checked out before you buy them.

This said they are very solid wedges and I love the weight of them. I was a little disappointed in the "bite" of them though. I feel like my old Spin Milled Vokeys had significantly more bite than the Tw7s.

I'm also not really thrilled with how the finish is holding up, or isn't holding up as the case may be. I can take some pictures if anyone wants to see them, but if you saw my wedges you would never have thought that they have only been used for 6 rounds or so.

In the end I'm satisfied with them, but I think that when I replace my wedges next season I may go back to the Vokey SMs.

If you like the Tw7 you could also give the Wilson Fw6 a try while they are still available, they are forged, fairly heavy (which I like and gives stability), have the perfect shape for me, look and work great from both the turf and sand. Awesome wedges.

Attached Images

• EG10020_lg.jpg

#8 luxman

luxman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

View PostTempusFugit, on Apr 25 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

If you like the Tw7 you could also give the Wilson Fw6 a try while they are still available, they are forged, fairly heavy (which I like and gives stability), have the perfect shape for me, look and work great from both the turf and sand. Awesome wedges.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may give them a shot.

Have you hit the Vokey SMs?  If so, can you give a brief comparison?

#9 etn

etn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Pelts35,
I have had all of the spin milled's and personally did not like them.  Not the biggest Titleist fan althought they definetely spin.  Interested in a wedge that bite's hard but that has some control.  Seems with the SM's I would spin everything, not just bite and stop.  Sure it could be the ball who knows....

How are the Ci6's??

Post some pics if you dont't mind of the TW7's..

Edited by etn, 25 April 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#10 luxman

luxman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

ETN,

For whatever reason I am unable to upload the pictures at the moment.  I'll try again later or on another computer.

Edited by pelts35, 26 April 2008 - 04:14 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jrsharp21

jrsharp21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34619
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

I may have a brand new Wilson Staff Tw5 56* SW for sale by the end of the week. I bought it online and now I think I want to go a different route. If anyone is interested let me know.

#12 luxman

luxman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Any ideas of why I cannot upload my pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors