Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Grips For Sore/Arthritic Hands

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Terpman

Terpman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54475
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

I just joined today. I am 55 with a swing speed of 84-90 (driver). I have some arthritis in my hands and they are sore most of the time. My hands are somewhat small, between a ladies' grip and men's standard grip size. I am about to regrip my clubs and was wondering what information/advice/experiences everyone has with grips I can consider. I have heard the new Lamkin Stingfree grip is great in this situation and it felt good in the store and I have hit my son's clubs with Winn Excel grips on them and they feel very nice. What about Golfpride DD2? Winn DSI? :clapping:

Edited by Terpman, 27 May 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Bomb and Gouge

Bomb and Gouge

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24572
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

My gramps uses these:

http://www.golfsmith.../products/18709

#3 EJ Mac

EJ Mac

Getting Closer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45152
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Lamkin also makes an arthritic grip that is very reasonably priced Golf galaxy has them for $2.55 each
R1 TP Fujikura Fuel 70
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
Sonartec TRC 20* Fuji VP70,  V Steel 24*
Cobra Pro M/B  Project X Flighted 6.0
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
Eidolon 60*  C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

#4 Viper

Viper

Viper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44006
  • Ebay ID:sanderslongdrive

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

I recommend Lamkin Torsion Tour Series Oversize. They are expensive but worth it. I use them when my hands cannot handle anything thinner due to joint pain.

However, my last two batches arrived feeling greasy. I bought from different outlets so presumably it is down to the manufacturer?

Give then a good was wash in (a)  Kitchen cleaner, then (b) quality washing up liquid / hot water, finally followed by © Hot water - all in instant succession.  If the problem persists then put loads of rosin power on the grips and leave them to stand powdered for 48 hours. You can buy rosin powder from a tenpin bowling pro shop. That totally restores the grips.

They are worth the money and effort. Much less hand stress / resultant pain!

Appreciate though that massive grips make it harder to get the needed fast hand release when driving, but such is of secondary importance.

the Viper

#5 Tanner25

Tanner25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Between those grips mentioned, graphite shafts and a foot joy shockstopper glove - that should work. Also, some of the transition iron sets, Adams A3os and Cobra Transtions S should allow you to get away with sweeping the ball - rather then hitting down and hurting your wrists/ hands. I have a band-aid swing that works for these clubs - ball forward, swing with your left hand. You will pull the ball. But, it's a stress free and solid swing.

#6 Terpman

Terpman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54475

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, aslan.  And, thanks to all of you.  I already have graphite shafts and I changed my swing to a sweeping-style swing on the 4 through 7.  My hands still hurt quite a bit after every round or practice session.  So, I just changed grips to the standard size Avon Chamois.  A miracle.  No more pain.  These grips are a little larger than most standard size grips and they are soft but still firm enough for great club control.  Try 'em - - you will be very pleasantly surprised.  And, pain free.

#7 Tanner25

Tanner25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Good suggestion, Terpman. I will check the Avon Chamois grips out. My manager thinks my fear
of hitting a fat shot makes me a sweeper and a picker. But, everytime I try to hit down on the ball, I really hit the ball fat. Occasionally, setting my wrists back a year ago - when they really
were bad.

Edited by aslan13, 27 May 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#8 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I just installed the GP DD2 blue/black model and could not be happier with their damping characteristics.
Cobra Bio Cell 10.5*, PJX R
Ping I20 15*, R, Bio Cell 5-wood, R
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Ping Anser 3
Titleist 704CB, 5-pw, Project X 5.0
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#9 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40107
  • Ebay ID:gamayrose

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm 13 yrs older than you and had problems with my hands. This may be oversimplifying it but I changed to a senior flex in my driver and this eliminated, to a greater degree, problems of hand pain. Might even go to a ladies flex if it shows up again. Ego willing! I guess what I'm saying is that the longest club you swing at the fastest speed you generate is the suspect.

#10 yichen382

yichen382

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83208
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

View PostTerpman, on May 27 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

Thanks, aslan. And, thanks to all of you. I already have graphite shafts and I changed my swing to a sweeping-style swing on the 4 through 7. My hands still hurt quite a bit after every round or practice session. So, I just changed grips to the standard size Avon Chamois. A miracle. No more pain. These grips are a little larger than most standard size grips and they are soft but still firm enough for great club control. Try 'em - - you will be very pleasantly surprised. And, pain free.

Good for you!

Does the standard size Chamois feel like midsize?  They also have a jumbo version.  I am debating whether to get the standard or Jumbo.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 work2golf

work2golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90203

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

I switched to JumboMax super-oversized grips a year ago after going to a demo day and I love how straight I am hitting the ball. Don't believe the cynics who insist larger grips will hinder hand action, since I outdrive my friends on a regular basis. I think they are repeating old theory, not actual play. They are not inexpensive but I guess you get what you pay for. After a year of 3 full rounds a week they still show very little signs of wear. The president of the company and inventor is very nice and was willing to talk on the phone and answer all my questions.

IMHO, worth checking out.

Edited by work2golf, 15 September 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#12 Toppedshot

Toppedshot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39881

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

Something you may want to try.... I have very bad problems with arthritis in most of my fingers. A pro suggested I try wearing two bionic gloves. Took a couple of rounds, but what a nice change. Soreness is way down. Might be worth a shot. I have also given in to graphite shafts in irons, Iomic grips, etc. but wearing two bioninc gloves has been the biggest help!

#13 retexan599

retexan599

John Hanley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92724

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

A big help to me this year has been getting my clubs regripped with oversize Master Wrap (Winn Excel RF Oversize +1/8 Weather Black).  I used to have mid-size and the larger size has reduced the soreness from my hand arthritis quite a bit.  I also wear a glove on both hands for similar reason, as well as having graphite shafts.

#14 phillygolf

phillygolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122967

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

View Postwork2golf, on 07 August 2009 - 09:13 AM, said:

I switched to JumboMax super-oversized grips a year ago after going to a demo day and I love how straight I am hitting the ball. Don't believe the cynics who insist larger grips will hinder hand action, since I outdrive my friends on a regular basis. I think they are repeating old theory, not actual play. They are not inexpensive but I guess you get what you pay for. After a year of 3 full rounds a week they still show very little signs of wear. The president of the company and inventor is very nice and was willing to talk on the phone and answer all my questions.

IMHO, worth checking out.

What size jumbomax grips do you use?

I've tried all three sizes but I can't settle on one.
Adams F11 10.5
Adams F11 fairway 15
Miz CLK hybrid 20, 23
Miz MP-62 5-PW
Miz T-11 52, 56, 60
Ping Scottsdale ZB S

#15 Breaker999

Breaker999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30417
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

I have to agree with the Avon Chamois, DD2 and Winn Excel RF.  The Stingfree is firmer feeling than those.  The Excel gets very slick in the rain.  The DD2 is spongy.  The Chamois is the best overall b/c it has cushion but also retains excellent traction.  Very good price on Golfsmith, use the coupon code from search engines (free shipping and 15% off).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors