Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Overlapping Grip vs Interlocking Grip

53 replies to this topic

#1 SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54276
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

Wanted to ask a question about the difference and if any of you have tried hitting balls both ways and the kind of feelings you all had, when hitting with an overlapping grip or an interlocking grip.  When I first started out, I hit only with an overlapping grip and played ok but wanted to get better, I joined a driving range/practice facility and during this time the pro suggested the interlocking grip. So I switched and hit the ball pretty well. It seems you have the club more in your fingers, especially your right hand with this grip, giving you more of a feeling of controlling the club with your hands.   Well over the past year and a hurt back, and the range closing down my swing is a complete mess that I have been trying to fix myself. I know it seems my right side is doing to much in the swing so yesterday I tried experimenting with the overlapping grip, and it seemed to help take my right hand more out of the swing.  Does this sound right? or is it all in my head?  Thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 411

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

I am torn between the two. I started with the interlocking grip, because I have short fingers. I tried the overlapping grip lately, because of the Hogan book and because of Slicefixer's suggestion that it is more stable. I feel, that I can hold the lag little better with the overlapping grip, because the pressure points of the 3rd and 4th finger of the right hand are more where they should be. But it still feels a little uncomfortable for me. I also feel that it is easier for me to square the clubface with the driver and create a little bit more speed with it when using the interlocking grip. But the overlapping grip is definitely more stable for me at the top of the backswing with irons.
I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

#3 mchepp

mchepp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30916
  • Ebay ID:mchepp007
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

When I was young I used the interlocking grip mostly because it helped me control the club a little better, but over the years I have switched to the overlapping. I tried a few months ago to switch back to the interlocking but it felt so foreign I was not able to switch.

I am not too sure that one is better than another, but it really comes down to what feels good for you.

#4 El Guapo

El Guapo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26930
  • Ebay ID:gregfanes

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

I started with an interlock grip when I was a kid and played through my early 20's with it.  Then I tried playing with an overlap grip.  Spent several years struggling to find consistency.  I so wanted the overlap to work that I ignored the fact it felt unnatural.  Switched back to the interlock a few years ago and will NEVER switch again.  Out of nowhere, I found my swing again.  Interlock just feels right for me.   My usual Saturday foursome has all 3 basic grips represented - interlock, overlap and ten finger.  Different grips for different folks.  Go with what feels right.

#5 dfw1500

dfw1500

dfw1500

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13194
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

The overlapping grip is superior to the interlocking for most people due to the pressure points being in the right place and not too much tension in the lock which can cause a problem with the interlock grip......I think the interlock works great for people with smaller hands and ladies.

I would not change you staright into an overlap from an interlock just for the sake of it but if you had a really poor grip to start off with I would or if you were new to the game.......I feel that the change is good for those that have the dedication but for those that don't get the perfect grip but keep the interlock (especially if you have small hands)

BTW as Mr Penick said "for those who do not want to take the time to learn the correct grip do not want to take the time to learn how to play golf properly"

#6 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

My hands aren't that small but i use interlock just because no matter how i put the overlapping finger, it doesnt sit right and just slides around, snap hook after snap hook.

Plus if Tiger and Nicklaus use it, i dont think overlap is that superior

#7 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

I don't really notice a difference w/ either one. I also feel it's all personal preference, just like putter grips.

#8 dfw1500

dfw1500

dfw1500

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13194
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

View Postbeachgrovejunior, on Apr 25 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

My hands aren't that small but i use interlock just because no matter how i put the overlapping finger, it doesnt sit right and just slides around, snap hook after snap hook.

I would suggest that you learnt the interlock as a junior and have kept it ever since......this is no bad thing at all I interlock but am only 5' 7" it is fine as long as the dgrip is techically correct and from the footage I have seen of you I would say it is.

Cheers Dan

#9 LucF

LucF

My 5x4 short game distances.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39536

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

I have large hands and have tried both overlap and interlock. Started with interlock when I was a kid, switched to overlap for one season because of books, but then found out my fingers were sliding at the top of my swing. I switched back to interlock and can now say it's the best grip for me.

#10 OpgForce

OpgForce

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41941

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

I'm struggling with this same question too this season.  Trying to go with the interlocking grip due to small hands, plus it feels the most natural.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

View Postbeachgrovejunior, on Apr 25 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

My hands aren't that small but I use interlock just because no matter how I put the overlapping finger, it doesnt sit right and just slides around, snap hook after snap hook.

I couldn't have put it better myself. :clapping:

I started out with an interlocking grip since I always had small hands (or technically, short fingers) and I could never get my little finger to feel secure in the overlap position. I also had a tendency to hook the ball when I first started (I played right-handed junior tennis prior to golf) and I really struggled at first with hitting the ball straight, albeit I had no problems hitting it reasonably solid and getting it airborne.

Admittedly, my hands are bigger now but I've got so used to interlocking that I can't get comfortable with anything else. Unfortunately, I've no idea how the two compare since I've never used anything else than interlocking.

#12 BarronDDS

BarronDDS

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50476
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

I am an overlapper, seems like every time I try interlocking, I shank the ball!   Sorry!

#13 randrews581

randrews581

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34719
  • Ebay ID:randrews581

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

I overlap, always have. No particular reason, it just felt natural when I started to pick up the game. I've tried interlock but I don't feel a real strong connection to the club when I do it and my shot-making becomes eratic and inconsistent. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think you can go wrong either way, provided your hands are set on the club properly and you apply the right amount of grip pressure.

#14 alfie

alfie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40738
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

I started off with the overlapping grip, as that one was the norm and was the one my older brother taught me when I started off playing (in my mid 20's). Was using this grip FOREVER, never really improving my golf at all. I finally started to get serious about wanting to improve my golf game last year and started tweaking EVERYTHING, from swing, set up, stance and grip. After much reading, decided to try out the interlocking grip. It felt uncomfortable for a few days, but kept working on it at the driving range and noticed that it was a better grip for me, as it felt like I was more in control, no more slipping nor sliding around of my right hand. I also should have figured that being only 5' 6" w/a slight body frame, I would have small hands/fingers, thus the interlocking grip should have been the one I should have tried a long time ago. Now it's my grip and I usually recommend it for beginners or people w/small hands.

#15 jaham

jaham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72236

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

Which grip do most of the tour pros use?

#16 faith+1

faith+1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61350

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

I think something like 95% of pros use the overlap, which is what first got me to convert from the interlock that I started with as a teenager. I have long fingers, and I really use my left index finger and thumb to feel like I'm gripping it correctly with the left hand, and the interlock does not allow me to do this.

But the fact remains that the two greatest players in history used the interlock.

#17 TitlePured

TitlePured

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91530
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:43 AM

View Postdfw1500, on Apr 25 2008, 02:07 PM, said:

The overlapping grip is superior to the interlocking for most people due to the pressure points being in the right place and not too much tension in the lock which can cause a problem with the interlock grip......I think the interlock works great for people with smaller hands and ladies.

I would not change you staright into an overlap from an interlock just for the sake of it but if you had a really poor grip to start off with I would or if you were new to the game.......I feel that the change is good for those that have the dedication but for those that don't get the perfect grip but keep the interlock (especially if you have small hands)

BTW as Mr Penick said "for those who do not want to take the time to learn the correct grip do not want to take the time to learn how to play golf properly"

As a person who quotes Penick and obviously admires Hogan, you should know better than to say the overlap is superior.  One highly overlooked problem is grip size in relation to the type of grip and your hands.  I have XL hands and for that reason, switched to the overlap as I grew.  As the last few years have passed I have felt more and more uncomfortable with my grip.  The overlapped finger doesn't fit quite right and my hands seemed squished as I grip the club softly but have a high swing speed.  Recently I put mid-size (1/16 inch oversize) grips on my clubs.  Immediately my hand felt better but there was something still missing.  As much as I try, it's been hard for me to get my swing more upright.  The last couple years it seems to flatten out more and more.  After installing my midsize grips (solving the "large hand" problem) I have switched back to the interlock and find it much easier to swing on a more upright plane.  I believe the reason is my right hand is more supported with the interlock and therefore, keeping the club upright.  I think for most people either grip should be experimented with.  As with my case, I have gone back and forth a couple times to counter swing changes.  Mr. Penick was right, it is amazing the changes a grip can make... I'm just not sure with all of the size and shaped hands (not to mention physical ability) that there is one correct grip.  There are quite a few ways to get the club into a slot and square up the club face, GOOD LUCK IN FINDING YOURS!
Under Constuction

#18 Hairpie

Hairpie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4791
  • Ebay ID:harepy
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

When I started I interlocked, most likely due to my first golf book being "Golf My Way" by Nicklaus.  Changed to the overlap as I got older and have never looked back.  I've re-tried the interlock a few times over the years and just don't seem to be able to release the club properly with it....I can only concur with those in this thread that say go with what works for you....

#19 360_CS

360_CS

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83083
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:54 AM

I use to use interlocking because i found it  easier to grip the club. But as i have got older my fingers have got a lot longer and i just found it real hard to control the club with the interlocking so i decided to change to overlaping took a few rounds to get use to it but i probably won't go back. I read so where that overlaping is good for people with big hands. I also read in a mag that Casey switched from overlaping to interlocking Peter Kostis said that big hitters are crating so much speed that they need to us the interlocking grip in order to keep their right hand on the golf club, without gripping to tightly.

#20 TitlePured

TitlePured

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91530
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

View Post360_huy, on Oct 2 2009, 01:54 AM, said:

I use to use interlocking because i found it  easier to grip the club. But as i have got older my fingers have got a lot longer and i just found it real hard to control the club with the interlocking so i decided to change to overlaping took a few rounds to get use to it but i probably won't go back. I read so where that overlaping is good for people with big hands. I also read in a mag that Casey switched from overlaping to interlocking Peter Kostis said that big hitters are crating so much speed that they need to us the interlocking grip in order to keep their right hand on the golf club, without gripping to tightly.

That Kostis analysis is exactly what I'm experiencing... thanks for that insight.  I noticed a couple more commented about using overlap because of long fingers.  Instead of thinking the overlap is your only option, try midsize grips and whatever grip you want.  Doesn't it make more since to have grips that are proportionate to your hand size?  Ping has been fitting people for hand size for years... smart.  I feel SO MUCH more comfortable now that I use a Midsize (1/16 in' oversize) and back to the interlock.  I had trouble keeping my hands on the club with my swing speed, using overlap.  If you're just totally uncomfortable with your grip, try proper grip size.  GOOD LUCK!

Under Constuction

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 fanofsaosin

fanofsaosin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27959
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

I've tried overlap but it feels diffrent due to my pinky being crooked.  so interlocking feels natural to me since my left pointer finger and right pink lock naturally due to it being crooked...

#22 mikec222

mikec222

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64084

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

I honestly don't know anyone who uses overlap around here.  Maybe because I grew up when Tiger was rising to fame, not sure.

What is the rough percentage of people using interlock/ overlap/ other?

#23 DFinch

DFinch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:59 AM

10-finger all the way.   (cool)
TM SLDR 430 10.5* Fuji 7.3
Callaway XHot 3Deep/5Deep
TM SLDR irons 4-AW
TM RAC Z TP 54*/60*
Odyssey #7 Versa Tank 38"
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DFinch

#24 DFinch

DFinch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

texan_golf, on Oct 2 2009, 11:06 PM, said:

DFinch, on Oct 3 2009, 12:59 AM, said:

10-finger all the way. (cool)

LoL.. You, Bob Estes, Tommy Gainey and this old man I use to play with as a kid... They all hit it good that way, I tied it once with out any luck..

Don't forget Moe Norman (sorta)!  :)

I played interlocking for awhile but I just didn't see an advantage.  I have small pinkies.  My right pinky is crammed so tight to my left index finger that it disappears in my grip.  Trying to overlap or interlock it just causes me pain when I'm playing heavily.
TM SLDR 430 10.5* Fuji 7.3
Callaway XHot 3Deep/5Deep
TM SLDR irons 4-AW
TM RAC Z TP 54*/60*
Odyssey #7 Versa Tank 38"
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DFinch

#25 jeffblais09

jeffblais09

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36916
  • Ebay ID:thegreatblais
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

see i do sumthin that will probably throw you all for a loop. i interlock my index of my left with the pinkie finger of my right hand as usual for an interlocking grip, but i also overlap the ring finger of my right hand over my left index. i do this because about a year ago i was in a serious motorcycle accident and broke that ring finger among many other things...... haha. but for the first few months of getting back to the game that was the only way i could hit balls without that finger hurting and i have stuck with it, it really forms a solid grip. whatever works is what i say haha

#26 Jooma

Jooma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64013
  • Ebay ID:marksakowski
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Overlapping grip was invented for one and the one reason only: to prevent a vicious hook. This particularly applies to Harry Vardon and Ben Hogan.

The Master Ben Hogan was hooking so ferociously that he even invented and played onset golf clubs!

The best golfers in the profession are natural hookers of the golf ball and this is the only reason this grip is so popular on the tour.

The interlocking or the ten finger baseball grip are initially the best cure for slice, however due to a severely restricted wrist action it may cause loss of some distance.

I would advise all aspiring amateurs to experiment with the grip before settling into the overlapping grip because this grip does not suit majority of weekend golfers.

#27 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:17 AM

SurfnWolf, on 25 April 2008 - 11:56 AM, said:

Wanted to ask a question about the difference and if any of you have tried hitting balls both ways and the kind of feelings you all had, when hitting with an overlapping grip or an interlocking grip.  When I first started out, I hit only with an overlapping grip and played ok but wanted to get better, I joined a driving range/practice facility and during this time the pro suggested the interlocking grip. So I switched and hit the ball pretty well. It seems you have the club more in your fingers, especially your right hand with this grip, giving you more of a feeling of controlling the club with your hands.   Well over the past year and a hurt back, and the range closing down my swing is a complete mess that I have been trying to fix myself. I know it seems my right side is doing to much in the swing so yesterday I tried experimenting with the overlapping grip, and it seemed to help take my right hand more out of the swing.  Does this sound right? or is it all in my head?  Thoughts?

IMO, interlocking grips are the hardest to master. Most Ams think the finger interlock right to the bottom of the fingers and that messes up their grip altogether. When an interlock grip is done correctly, only the tips of the index and pinkie interlock.

The interlock has one huge benefit. It helps remove tension from the left wrist. When the left index finger is forced to relax (somewhat) due to the fact the pinkie is in the way, the wrist has more cocking/uncocking freedom and thusly more potential power.

dfw1500, on 25 April 2008 - 01:07 PM, said:

The only thing superior about the overlapping grip is that it's harder to do incorrectly.

jaham, on 08 September 2009 - 11:04 PM, said:

Which grip do most of the tour pros use?

The higher percentage overlap. Then again, they don't have distance problems and recognize when their hands aren't relaxed.

faith+1, on 08 September 2009 - 11:12 PM, said:

I think something like 95% of pros use the overlap, which is what first got me to convert from the interlock that I started with as a teenager. I have long fingers, and I really use my left index finger and thumb to feel like I'm gripping it correctly with the left hand, and the interlock does not allow me to do this.

But the fact remains that the two greatest players in history used the interlock.

Hmmm....

#28 Zlim

Zlim

Go Buffs!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54699
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

Went from interlock to vardon, increased stability and consistency but lost distance and touch.

switched back after becoming comfortable with the vardon, gained distance but lost control and stability because I was too handsy

Stuck with Vardon and things have been great.

interlock was just not stable enough for me and the wrists broke down to easily

#29 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 490

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

I absolutely hate overlap. Feels like your gonna lose the club, and it's just weird to have a finger on top of another
How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

#30 coops

coops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17659
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Started ten finger grip as a beginner.... then interlock and after that played with overlap, and have stayed with the Overlapping grip. I don't overlap with the finger resting between the first & index finger of the left hand, but overlap it resting on the first finger only.

And if you're concerned you may be over-using the right hand, it's well worth practicing with a 'split' grip - kind of exaggerated ten finger, where you put the bottom hand further down and leave a gap between the two hands - you'll really feel it if you try and force things with your hands this way....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors