Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Tiger with the fastest club head speed on tour thus far this year.

156 replies to this topic

#61 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 734

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

USGA will need to implement a new rule concerning spinal fusions. If one increases their yardage after surgery, the fusion must be removed and discs rolled back to its previous state.

My senior bag.......
Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
Ping Craz-E putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 2428

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

View Postmosesgolf, on 11 March 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Poststu_man, on 11 March 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostAmazinBlue, on 10 March 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

How long do you think that spinal disk just above the fusion will hold up when the bottom vertebrae is immobilized and the one above is twisting and tilting against it?  Spinal surgeons will tell you the disks above a fusion will deteriorate quicker than ones where no fusion exists.  

As Tiger continues to swing so hard with the driver and other clubs, it would seem that he will damage that disk much more quickly swinging like he is.  But it's obvious he is enjoying feeling pain free at the moment.
that

I bet you hang out with spinal surgeons all the time.

Exactly.  So many Google info experts on this board and negative Nancy's.   A word to the wise that if you sit at business meetings and all you ever do is point out the negatives time in and time out see what happens to your career long term.  

It's good to see Tiger's speed back.  He dominated on par 5's like no other before him.  And with his speed he doesn't always have to hit driver.   It's great to see him back.   Tiger has all the tools to dominate again.  Now it's just a matter of time.  :D

My neurosurgeon (who was a friend prior to my back surgery) and I were talking about Tiger’s fusion and his immediate thought was “ there goes his rotation.”

I even posted about that conversation on here....now he’s ripping it again.  

I asked my neuro if he actually graduated from med school or simply printed a diploma off of the inter-webs.  He’ll be watching Tiger today like the rest of us.
SYard T388
                TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
                Miura CB-57 3-PW
                Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
                                Old Titleist Blade

#63 755

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24083
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:caro1116
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostBearQ, on 11 March 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 10 March 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

That left knee isn't going to hold! I was right behind him today, he was swinging all out......It WON'T make it through the season! Remember, I said it here!.....

Tired of these ill wishing posts...

How many negatives have we heard over the years now, can we just enjoy his good play this once?

That would be a great thing . HOWEVER with all the swing experts, Dr.s, haters and people that know more about Tiger than he does, unfortunately that won't happen.
M3 440 10* Tensei White
M4 3 wood Tour AD-DI 6x
M4 5 Wood Diamana BF60X
M4 22* Hybrid Motore 90HB
Who knows right now
Vokey SM6 50,54, 60
TP Ardmore 3
TP5X

#64 Lacey Underall

Lacey Underall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217605
  • Ebay ID:dcw3672
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Still trying to wrap my head around that 129 number yesterday. I played competitive golf for years and have spent a great deal of time in simulators. Iím a former trainer and work out 6 days per week. Iíve only been able to get up to that number a few times and it was NOT what I would call a Ďnormalí swing (to put it mildly).

I hope he only breaks out that swing a couple times per round. Incredibly stressful on your body. Also worried about these risks he is taking around trees and uneven lies. Cross your fingers long term.
2018 WITB
Driver:  Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x
3 Wood:  Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
2-PW:   Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
52* Wedge:   Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
58* Wedge:   Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
Putter:   Odyssey Protype #6

#65 jus711

jus711

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

View PostGolfTurkey, on 11 March 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

View Postjus711, on 11 March 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostGolfTurkey, on 11 March 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Does "truther" mean someone who knows what he's talking about explaining how the ball speed measurement is pretty accurate while CHS is not, which leads to reported smash factors ranging from lower than a PGA tour pro is going to get up to higher than the COR limit?

No ďtrutherĒ is someone speaking matter of factly about things they donít know for sure.  I canít say for sure the numbers are accurate no more than you can say for sure theyíre inaccurate, simply by looking at a couple of points of data.  We donít know what monitor the Pga uses or how they set it up.  What we do know is that he was the fastest 3/4 days at Honda with a 127 and a 128 and fastest today 2 weeks later at a completely different tournament.  It doesnít make sense that heís the only one finding the sweet spot on the tee to get the fastest speed all these times.  DJ plays a TM driver and so does Rory and they havenít recorder a 128 or 129 this year, and Rory played at Honda and this week on the same tee and monitor that clocked Tiger, he normally swings 120-122 but didnít get a magic bump to the high 120s.  Iím willing to accept the numbers are incorrect but why are they consistently coming up incorrect for one guy in one direction?  This isnít just one swing.  As far as smash factor, Sam Ryder and Pat Perez are a couple of the best ballstrikers on tour, theyíre currently top 10 in GIR, they know how to hit the center of the club face, yet theyíre at the bottom of smash factor numbers for the tour this year and thatís with 30 swings of data. Sam Ryder is averaging 1.43 and Pat Perez is averaging 1.44 and Sam Ryder has a 1.39 in there.  Explain all of that to me.
https://www.pgatour....stat.02403.html

The launch monitor brand is known, it is Trackman.

https://blog.trackma...e-relationship/

"Denmark, February 2016 Ė The PGA TOUR and TrackMan have signed their third consecutive 5-year agreement. This (re)signing is a manifestation of a mutually beneficial relationship founded more than a decade ago."

Now let's look at where you need to position the Trackman 4 unit for accurate readings. It's 9 to 10 feet back of the ball and within the width of the unit from left to right, see:

https://blog.trackma...t-hit-location/

A Trackman unit is 12 inches wide, so players have a one foot window to tee their ball up to get accurate readings. And that's if it isn't angled crazily so that it can cover the whole tee box (as iteachgolf explained to you in the other thread).

The readings of smash factors above 1.5 are obviously wrong, that's above the maximum. Of course Perez having a smash factor of a weekend hacker is also wrong, more evidence that Tiger's CHS is overstated.

You do realise that smash factor is reported too low when CHS is overstated, so Perez having a too low smash is in the same direction as Tiger having a too high CHS? Tiger should have had a ball speed north of 190 by now witb that CHS. 129.2 with 1.5 smash is a 193.8 BS. What is his top BS to date this season, well under 190 AFAIK.

Now just speculating, but guys who often use the edges of tee boxes will probably have more funny readings because they will be further from the optimum position. Tiger shapes it as much as just about anyone and moves around the tee box, and Perez hits a ton of drivers from the left edge of the box like this:

https://www.instagra.../p/BeTi5JTAJHe/
Fair enough, you make some salient arguments, itís still conjecture but maybe youíre right.  My point about not knowing the monitor wasnít about brand, it was about the particular monitor the tour is using and how exactly theyíre placing it or how itís set up or the kind of variance in the numbers it normally has.  Pat Perezís numbers are for 32 swings, thatís a good bit of data and his absolute highest is 1.47, is he teeing up on the edges every time?  Maybe he is, does Rory never tee up on the edges?  Because he doesnít have a 127, 128, or 129 this year or last.  Neither does Bubba who curves and shapes it as much as anyone.  I bring them up because theyíre in the low 120s On average like Tiger supposedly is.  If this was just one swing or even 2 at one tournament like Honda was then Iíd say ok, something was up with monitor that week and the kind of shots Tiger was playing.  But here we are at a completely different tournament and he gets a 129.2 the highest recorded this year.  At some point itís a trend.

#66 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

This thread is about ripe for the person who shows up to post the demand that someone provide the proof of the TM unit has been properly maintained and recently calibrated.  Otherwise, you know, it's all unicorns and snowflakes.
Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3   ------> Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s                
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX   
Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw ---------> Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.  
Vokey  SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5 ------------> Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
Scotty Golo

#67 hondaloyal

hondaloyal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 385606
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

How long do you think that spinal disk just above the fusion will hold up when the bottom vertebrae is immobilized and the one above is twisting and tilting against it?  Spinal surgeons will tell you the disks above a fusion will deteriorate quicker than ones where no fusion exists.  

As Tiger continues to swing so hard with the driver and other clubs, it would seem that he will damage that disk much more quickly swinging like he is.  But it's obvious he is enjoying feeling pain free at the moment.

View PostMarco, on 11 March 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

Theres approx 10% more stress on the next disc, in  his case l4 l5

Depends on the current state of the disc, but if the disc is ok it can be long to degenerate or herniate, like 10+ years

Tiger will gladly trade some future life mobility for 3 more wins. Maybe even a few more majors, 4 more?
Mizuno JPX900 Driver- speeder 569 S
Mizuno MP53 5-pw. dynalite gold XP S300
Mizuno MP54 4 i. dynamic gold S30
Mizuno JPX900 22 hybrid Fujikura pro63 regular
Ping G25 23 hybrid TFC189 regular
Mizuno S5 wedges 52, 54, 58 KBS Tour X
Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport
EZGO 2012 RXV

#68 hondaloyal

hondaloyal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostNPVWhiz, on 11 March 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

This thread is about ripe for the person who shows up to post the demand that someone provide the proof of the TM unit has been properly maintained and recently calibrated.  Otherwise, you know, it's all unicorns and snowflakes.

There are 3 types of lies. lies, damn lies, and statistics.
EZGO 2012 RXV

#69 legitimategolf

legitimategolf

Fighting!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144779
GolfWRX Likes : 2983

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 11 March 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

View PostksuWildcat, on 11 March 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

View Postcardoza, on 10 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

I'm a Tiger fan, but I find it hard to believe they aren't juicing those numbers a little bit.

How many surgeries on his knee and back?  4-5 on each.  Including a fusion.  42 years old.  Ya, there's some juice involved.

Whatever...incredible to watch, and I'm pulling for him.

I'm a guy who personally believes he and others did juice a few years ago, potentially was caught, and covered up.  However... Now I think this is more likely stem cell therapy.  site injections for back and knees, as well as IV infusions.  Mesenchymal stem cells from a 20 year old stud... More effective for recovery and energy than any steroid or GH we have now.  And it's not banned by the testing bodies.....  Same thing with Phil... Psoriatic Arthritis can be crushingly debilitating.  IV Stem cell therapy has been known to pretty much cure all of the symptoms and has a strong history of positive treatment with other auto-immune diseases.

IV stem cells = The new juice.  And, is most probably the future of medicine.

Maybe Tiger got himself a young blood boy. Or as you say, a stem-cell boy.

#70 sonnygolf

sonnygolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489400
  • Handicap:24
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

Where's iteach to give us another explanation about this being bs :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
GolfWRX Likes : 2405

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 11 March 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

View Postslimeone, on 11 March 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

View PostHubijerk, on 11 March 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

View PostksuWildcat, on 11 March 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

View Postcardoza, on 10 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

I'm a Tiger fan, but I find it hard to believe they aren't juicing those numbers a little bit.

How many surgeries on his knee and back?  4-5 on each.  Including a fusion.  42 years old.  Ya, there's some juice involved.

Whatever...incredible to watch, and I'm pulling for him.

I'm a guy who personally believes he and others did juice a few years ago, potentially was caught, and covered up.  However... Now I think this is more likely stem cell therapy.  site injections for back and knees, as well as IV infusions.  Mesenchymal stem cells from a 20 year old stud... More effective for recovery and energy than any steroid or GH we have now.  And it's not banned by the testing bodies.....  Same thing with Phil... Psoriatic Arthritis can be crushingly debilitating.  IV Stem cell therapy has been known to pretty much cure all of the symptoms and has a strong history of positive treatment with other auto-immune diseases.

IV stem cells = The new juice.  And, is most probably the future of medicine.
This is an interesting take. Where do they get the stem cells from? I imagine it's exceedingly expensive which makes it a perfect opportunity for the elite golfer with more money than they knew what to do with.

Edit - serious question - is there a black market for this stuff, with poor people donating cells from their body for medical "research"?

Not a black market at all.  Not unlike women donating eggs, Young men and women are donating stem cells from marrow etc. and then the best cells are isolated and grown/replicated. One of the best labs in the world is in Panama.  There are docs that have practices in the US, then fly to their other offices, labs and do treatments that are not yet approved in the US.  In fact stem cell therapy has gotten less effective and limited in the states because of increasing regulations from the FDA.  Joe Rogan had a podcast recently with Mel Gibson and Neil Riordan talking about it.  Because of the restrictions and limitations yeah, pretty much just the rich can afford this.  There are ortho docs in the states that do injections but they are still very expensive, not covered by insurance, and much less effective than what you can get in other countries.  There are lots of guys in combat sports, and other professional athletes doing this.  You're probably looking at 30-50k per treatment injections + IV, then travel etc. but it's probably well worth it.  Depending on ailment or injury I would certainly pursue this avenue and take out a loan 1st before using insurance for traditional accepted methods we use... And I do this (traditional medicine/medical) for a living.  I'm strongly considering pursuing another degree in stem cell science, USC is the closest University to me that has a program but there are a few other schools.

Man what you're describing...I wish it existed a long long time ago. My dad has had a lot of problems with his neck and shoulders over the last 15 years or so. He pretty much lives in chronic pain. Amazing thing is he doesn't really complain about it.

#72 Anchor44

Anchor44

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189544
GolfWRX Likes : 370

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

View PostFrankensteins Monster, on 10 March 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

Posted Image
This just has to be fake news. Brandel Shameless and Tons of WRXers have deemed Tiger to be a completely washed up loser for several years now.

#73 Marco

Marco

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34723
GolfWRX Likes : 520

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

View Postlumberman2462, on 11 March 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

that

Exactly.  So many Google info experts on this board and negative Nancy's.   A word to the wise that if you sit at business meetings and all you ever do is point out the negatives time in and time out see what happens to your career long term.  

It's good to see Tiger's speed back.  He dominated on par 5's like no other before him.  And with his speed he doesn't always have to hit driver.   It's great to see him back.   Tiger has all the tools to dominate again.  Now it's just a matter of time.  :D

My neurosurgeon (who was a friend prior to my back surgery) and I were talking about Tiger’s fusion and his immediate thought was “ there goes his rotation.”

I even posted about that conversation on here....now he’s ripping it again.  

I asked my neuro if he actually graduated from med school or simply printed a diploma off of the inter-webs.  He’ll be watching Tiger today like the rest of us.
I remember we talked about this and i said he d only lose 1-3 degree max, but he seems to be compensating well  with the upper spine

#74 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23039

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

He's 42, and while he's been injured a lot, is in really good physical shape. It's unlikely that someone at his age would swing the fastest on tour but not impossible.

Lebron James is doing things in the NBA at 33 (with the minutes played of someone 35-36) that we haven't really seen before either.
Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Aldila NV65 Green 2KXV
Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

#75 03SMURF

03SMURF

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323223
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

I read his drive on the 14th was 321 yards with the video showing it rolling out well. I also havenít seen a mention of a substantial wind in his face. Do we really think a professional golfer made such poor contact that a 129 mph swing only produced a 321 yard total drive? His reported launch angle and spin rate during driver testing was 15į and 2100 rpm. A good strike @ 129 mph and those launch conditions should carry the ball over 330 yards.

Edited by 03SMURF, 11 March 2018 - 10:53 AM.

M3 440 9į - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX
915 Fd 15į - ATMOS Black 8TX
716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55į) M, 60/08 M - X100's
Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
Ball TBD
4up Stadry

#76 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
GolfWRX Likes : 2405

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

View Post03SMURF, on 11 March 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

I read his drive on the 14th was 321 yards with the video showing it rolling out well. I also haven't seen a mention of a substantial wind in his face. Do we really think a professional golfer made such poor contact that a 129 mph swing only produced a 321 yard total drive? His reported launch angle and spin rate during driver testing was 15° and 2100 rpm. A good strike @ 129 mph and those launch conditions should carry the ball over 330 yards.

It was 327. Someone said that tee shot was a low bullet. 15 degrees would seem to be too high for that type of shot.

Edited by redfirebird08, 11 March 2018 - 10:57 AM.

#77 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17518

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

As far as hard as he is swinging, I am sure his physician told him what he can and can't do, which would include how hard he can go after it.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#78 tw_focus

tw_focus

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244611
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

That's amazing that TW, at his age, is still the fastest swinger on tour. Two reasons:

1) TW is an athlete who plays golf, most golfers on tour are golfers first, athletes second.
2) TW puts in more time, focus, dedication than the next 5 tour golfers combined.

Today is TW's masterpiece, just sit back and enjoy.

#79 Ignatius Reilly

Ignatius Reilly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454100
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 11 March 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

He's 42, and while he's been injured a lot, is in really good physical shape. It's unlikely that someone at his age would swing the fastest on tour but not impossible.

Lebron James is doing things in the NBA at 33 (with the minutes played of someone 35-36) that we haven't really seen before either.

33 is a lot younger than 42.  Trust me on that.
Basketball is more physical though, so there's that.

I thought Federer's career was more comparable.  He's come back from surgeries to win Grand Slams.  Golf and tennis are more similar - individual sports, no contact.  But.... Roger is only 36.  And he's nowhere near the fastest server, he does it with consistency and placement.  That's what I expected Tiger to do this time:  be long enough on the drive, but with more accuracy and consistency, then rely on the rest of his game for the wins.  That's what Roger's doing and Tiger's got enough game with the rest of his clubs to do the same.

He can still do it this way, I just think it's REALLY risky for his health.

#80 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1397

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

View PostMarco, on 11 March 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

View Postredfirebird08, on 10 March 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 10 March 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

View Postlowheel, on 10 March 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostGolfnutgalen, on 10 March 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

Tiger has been consistently in the 180-184 ball speed range this year which is a more reliable datapoint. That is crazy fast when you consider his average in 2013 (the last year he won) was 175.

He finally gave into tech. thats where the speed is coming from. even in 2013 he wasnt using the best tools that were available to him. Deschambeau has 182 ball speed at this point as well.Very common to be above 180 the last 2 seasons. phil at 47 had 181 just a few weeks back...

I agree. Club head speed is a nice thing to have, don't get me wrong, but scoring wins golf tournaments, not club head speed. I was more impressed with Tiger's short game than how far he hit the ball...especially that shot he hit to get up and down out of some seriously gnarly rough with no green to work with.

The turnaround with his short game has been incredible. He had legitimate chip yips at one point.
Told you it was technique related :p

But probably pain too ahah
Or a lack of narcotics?.....lol

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1397

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostMarco, on 11 March 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 10 March 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

That left knee isn't going to hold! I was right behind him today, he was swinging all out......It WON'T make it through the season! Remember, I said it here!.....
Hmmm his hips are not turning as fast as before when he was knee kicking before impact, i think hes gonna be ok. Compare 1997 swing to today, speed comes more from upper body now
It's possible, for sure.........I've stood behind Tiger for 20 years, at numerous tournaments. He's swinging as hard as ever.......

#82 A.Princey

A.Princey

Major Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396630
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 836

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostIgnatius Reilly, on 11 March 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 11 March 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

33 is a lot younger than 42.  Trust me on that.
Basketball is more physical though, so there's that.

I thought Federer's career was more comparable.  He's come back from surgeries to win Grand Slams.  Golf and tennis are more similar - individual sports, no contact.  But.... Roger is only 36.  And he's nowhere near the fastest server, he does it with consistency and placement.  That's what I expected Tiger to do this time:  be long enough on the drive, but with more accuracy and consistency, then rely on the rest of his game for the wins.  That's what Roger's doing and Tiger's got enough game with the rest of his clubs to do the same.

He can still do it this way, I just think it's REALLY risky for his health.

I don't think he needs the length, his greatest strength has been discipline off the tee, hitting 3w or iron for fairway placement. He still plays well using this technique, and I'm certain it will still work. If he hits every shot from the fairway, (not likely with driver all day), I don't think anyone can beat him. Basically, take the field and give them all the same second shot from the fairway spot on 72 straight holes, and TW will shine. These are the days he shoots 62. The fact he can still grind pars from deep In the woods is the most impressive thing I've seen as of late. I get so nervous watching him, it's just like 10-15years ago, uggggggghhhh!!!! Just hit fairways man!!!!

As for people who think he should save himself, I think the first win, this time around, is as big or bigger than any major could be. I realize all tournaments are not created equal, but Phil said it best about last week being as much a statement win as any major could be.
There are tournaments you want to win and there are tournaments you need to win. IF TW wins here, I'm sure the history books will mark the Valspar as one of te most important in his career.

Edited by A.Princey, 11 March 2018 - 11:26 AM.

Ping G 10.5*, Fuji Pro 63-R 42.75"
'16 M1 3w HL 17*, Xcon 7-S(untipped) 41"
Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
Scotty 1998 Tei Xperimental 33.25"(or any of 10 other putters...)

#83 80sFredriksson

80sFredriksson

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477578
  • Handicap:-
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

View Posttw_focus, on 11 March 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

That's amazing that TW, at his age, is still the fastest swinger on tour. Two reasons:

1) TW is an athlete who plays golf, most golfers on tour are golfers first, athletes second.
2) TW puts in more time, focus, dedication than the next 5 tour golfers combined.

I feel like this is a bit of an odd statement since Tiger for sure was a golfer that got into fitness/athleticism, I mean he started playing in his dipers.

#84 AmazinBlue

AmazinBlue

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93222
  • Ebay ID:welchjs
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

that

No, actually, I don't.  My wife had spinal fusion surgery on her L4-L5-S1 about 12 years ago and that is one of things they explain that over time the discs just above a fusion become more susceptible to damage due to the immobility of the fused area.  Never claimed to be an expert or "hanging with spinal surgeons".  It seems like a logical outcome.  Talk about haters!
Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* Aldila R.I.P. Beta 60 Stiff 44.5" 14g weight back
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 16.5* 4w
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
Callaway PM 58*
TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weights
Titleist AVX (Bridgestone Tour B X)

#85 hondaloyal

hondaloyal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

I tell ya, I have watched this 129 mph swing of Tiger's about 15 times, and visibly it doesn't look anywhere near the speed that Bubba routinely swings at. Even in slow motion they show Bubba's swing and you still can't see the shaft.

EZGO 2012 RXV

#86 stu_man

stu_man

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107853
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostAmazinBlue, on 11 March 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

that

No, actually, I don't.  My wife had spinal fusion surgery on her L4-L5-S1 about 12 years ago and that is one of things they explain that over time the discs just above a fusion become more susceptible to damage due to the immobility of the fused area.  Never claimed to be an expert or "hanging with spinal surgeons".  It seems like a logical outcome.  Talk about haters!

Oh, your wife = Tiger Woods now?  

I'm just messing with you.  I think he's just putting stress on the parts of the spine now that are ok to put pressure on.  Before, all the stress was extremely low in the back.  Posture is much better.  Justin Rose needs to take note.

#87 pmo09

pmo09

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291509
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

Honestly if he remains healthy and starts to win again he's going to become a medical case study and could completely revamp how they treat back injuries in athletes.

#88 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 8208

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Posttw_focus, on 11 March 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

From everything I've heard and read over the years, he's actually not an good athlete.  He's a golfer, an unbelievable one, who is also a fitness and workout junkie.  But far from being the best athlete out there.  Whether that is actually true or not I don't know, but it's been out there for a long time.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#89 hondaloyal

hondaloyal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

View Poststu_man, on 11 March 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostAmazinBlue, on 11 March 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

that

Oh, your wife = Tiger Woods now?  

I've seen them both. Tiger has the nicer glutes.
EZGO 2012 RXV

#90 twjames

twjames

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433246
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

The guy is an absolute savage

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors