Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cobra Fly-Z Driver

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Anybody have their junior playing an adult Cobra Fly-Z Driver (not the Fly-Z+ or Fly-Z XL)?  Got offered an adult Fly-Z driver through an acquaintance at the course today that would be almost too good to turn down on a very, very good condition used club.

The club itself is an adult 10.5° (adjusts 9° to 12°), 460cc and weighs 185g without the back CG weight.  Also note that this is a regular Fly-Z driver and not the Fly-Z Junior driver. Only difference I could see between the Fly-Z Adult and Fly-Z Junior was that the Junior Fly-Z ranged from 10.5-13.5* loft.

https://www.cobragol...ysiwyg/2015.pdf
http://www.golf.com/...w-clubtest-2015

I'd be looking to put a Flynn shaft on it for my 7YO at 35" finished club length.  Only downside is possibly the low degree on the club (not being able to get it to perhaps 13 or 13.5 degrees), but I think he can make it work well with a Flynn shaft with higher launch characteristics.

Curious if anyone has any experience with this driver?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

My son plays the F7 and my daughter plays the junior F7. My son is left handed and they don’t make the junior driver for left handed juniors. I got him the regular F7 with a senior shaft and he does well with it. You can take the Fly Z head and get a shaft from Mike at Flynn and be good to go. He will cut it to whatever length you need and put the cobra adapter on for you. I would adjust the loft to the highest setting and go from there. The junior driver is basically the women’s head which is a little lighter than the men’s head. You won’t be able to tell a difference.

#3 golftech

golftech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43589
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

My son is in my old Fly-Z+ driver set at 12* and a senior shaft (cut down 1”).  Works fine for him.

Edited by golftech, 11 March 2018 - 05:34 AM.

#4 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 10 March 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Anybody have their junior playing an adult Cobra Fly-Z Driver (not the Fly-Z+ or Fly-Z XL)?  Got offered an adult Fly-Z driver through an acquaintance at the course today that would be almost too good to turn down on a very, very good condition used club.

The club itself is an adult 10.5° (adjusts 9° to 12°), 460cc and weighs 185g without the back CG weight.  Also note that this is a regular Fly-Z driver and not the Fly-Z Junior driver. Only difference I could see between the Fly-Z Adult and Fly-Z Junior was that the Junior Fly-Z ranged from 10.5-13.5* loft.

https://www.cobragol...ysiwyg/2015.pdf
http://www.golf.com/...w-clubtest-2015

I'd be looking to put a Flynn shaft on it for my 7YO at 35" finished club length.  Only downside is possibly the low degree on the club (not being able to get it to perhaps 13 or 13.5 degrees), but I think he can make it work well with a Flynn shaft with higher launch characteristics.

Curious if anyone has any experience with this driver?

Just an FYI from what I've read for tournament play the weight has to be in there.

#5 MochiTime

MochiTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495988
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

This is the exact combination that my daughter had at age 7-8.  It was slightly longer and tighter dispersion than the Jr BioCell that she previously gamed.  Had a Flynn shaft at 37" then and she was hitting it about 135-140yds at that time for reference.  I set it to the highest loft and the height of shots was fine. I eventually upgraded her to an M2 which is longer and more forgiving, but more expensive.  Hope that helps

#6 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

So it turns out the driver I got offered through an acquaintance was a Fly-Z+ not a regular Fly-Z.  I took the deal anyway. :good:   In a moment of weakness last night, I went ahead and ordered a brand new matching Fly Z+ 3/4 fairway wood ($80 shipped on eBay  if you are looking).  Headed out on vacation for the next week, but he'll get these as a surprise when we get back. I'm probably more excited than him. LOL  Can't wait for him to hit these though because he has been working hard the last week to get the rust out with great results. He's been raging on my $5 overspeed club that I made and hit 60-62 mph consistently this week.  Plus, his attitude improvement and emotion control on bad shots is what swayed me to get the 3/4 Fairway as a bonus/reward for him.

I'll be ordering a set of Flynn shafts for these. If anyone was interested, I will have these shafts for sale in a couple weeks:

1. Driver Shaft:  Matrix VLCT ST,  X-Flex, 105+ with Cobra MyFly Adapter Tip (9-12 degree)
2. 3/4 Fairway Shaft: Matrix VLCT ST, S-Flex, 95+ with Cobra MyFly Adapter Tip (13-16 degree)

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1574

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

Make sure he swings that overspeed club where the end can’t fly off and hit something or someone.  A dad of a baseball kid in our town (really good player) made a homemade baseball device he copied from a manufacturer.  It ended up snapping and breaking the kids orbital bone on his left eye.  He has had several surgeries over the past year on his face and eye.  Will never see correctly out of his left eye again and is probably done playing baseball.  Sucks for them because there is no one to since it was a homemade device.  Have had to do go fund me’s because the medical bills ha e racked up just because he wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred dollars for the training device.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 30 March 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#8 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 30 March 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

Make sure he swings that overspeed club where the end can’t fly off and hit something or someone.  A dad of a baseball kid in our town (really good player) made a homemade baseball device he copied from a manufacturer.  It ended up snapping and breaking the kids orbital bone on his left eye.  He has had several surgeries over the past year on his face and eye.  Will never see correctly out of his left eye again and is probably done playing baseball.  Sucks for them because there is no one to since it was a homemade device.  Have had to do go fund me’s because the medical bills ha e racked up just because he wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred dollars for the training device.

Good advice and appreciate the sentiment.  Funny you say that because we were at the range the other day and a driver head landed right behind our stall. Some guy had snapped his head off (from 20 spots or so down to our right) and missed us and the next stall by not much. Not sure how you can avoid those types of things.  On the end of my homemade overspeed club was one of those foam golf balls. No other moving parts. I would put it as less risk of a driver/fairway head snapping off and hitting you or someone else.

Edited by wildcatden, 30 March 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#9 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

Flynn shafts arrived today when i got home from work. Put them on the heads and looks great!!  He's excited (and so am I ) to go hit them tomorrow.

Attached File  Fly-ZwithFlynn.jpg   125.87K   7 downloads

#10 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

So we have been out to the range two times now with the new Fly-Z+ Driver and 3/4 FW.  We have not been out on the course to hit a Wilson Staff Duo (low compression ball) so looking forward to how it really looks when he hits something other than a range ball.

For 3/4 FW he is hitting it OK. Trajectory on it is low/line drive as expected for a front CG weighted club. If we can buildup a little more strength and swing speed, it should be better.  This club should work well on flat, hard summer courses this year.  Off the ground he hits the TS51 3W the same distance, but off the tee, he hits the Fly-Z+ 3/4 FW further (with roll).

For the Driver, he is hitting that better. On quality center hits of the club face,  he is getting another 10 yards on the range. We have experimented with the Fly-Z+ weight in the back and without the Fly-Z+ weight installed at all. Not much difference that I can tell.  Note: Fly-Z+ head without weight **is legal** for tournaments according to USGA as there are no holes exposed in the head.

So a question on a USKG TS-51 (older 320cc or even newer 440cc head): Is their a max distance a junior can hit on that club?  The best mine has ever hit the TS51 320cc club is ~140 yards total.  I'm curious just for comparison and measuring growth.

Edited by wildcatden, 18 April 2018 - 10:36 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

Correct, the Flyz+ weight can be removed, you were talking about the regular flyZ originally and removing the weight, which can’t be done legally. Glad this one worked out for you.

To show what the potential of a driver or fwy wood has for my kid I usually take a few hits with it. The length of the club will dictate a max SS and with a center strike and proper AoA you can typically see what the max for a driver is. I would think 140-150 would be max distance for a TS51 driver, but I haven’t ever hit one. For a driver that short I would think the gains are minimal with an OEM driver. You reach a point where SS is just too limiting regardless of equipment. Personally, I think it is really odd watching a 6-7yo swinging a 460cc driver. Unless they are big for their age.
Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS 44.5"
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 19* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H Stock R Flex
Fly Z 4H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#12 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:01 AM

We have had a couple more range sessions and a practice round with the new Fly-Z+ driver today.  He's hitting it pretty good now and out driving his old TS-51 driver when he hits it well.  Today, we played and hit both drivers on every driver hole. I would say it was pretty even except two holes where he drove an extra 10 yards with the Cobra. On another two holes, he did have a couple not-so-good ones, but surprisingly, the drives didn't end up that bad. Seems like even if he hits one that is more of a "low liner" vs a nice trajectory that there is still plenty of roll in those mishits whether they be low on the clubface or off-center left/right.  His confidence is growing in the club for sure.

One question on the Fly-Z+, sometimes when he swings, some grass will get caught up in the weight underneath (this is one knock that has been issued against this club). Can the weight be loosened for cleaning in a tournament? Or just clean the best you can and live with what gets stuck under there? It's not bad, but just habit for me to want a nice clean club for each shot.

Edited by wildcatden, 30 April 2018 - 12:02 AM.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:16 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 30 April 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

We have had a couple more range sessions and a practice round with the new Fly-Z+ driver today.  He's hitting it pretty good now and out driving his old TS-51 driver when he hits it well.  Today, we played and hit both drivers on every driver hole. I would say it was pretty even except two holes where he drove an extra 10 yards with the Cobra. On another two holes, he did have a couple not-so-good ones, but surprisingly, the drives didn't end up that bad. Seems like even if he hits one that is more of a "low liner" vs a nice trajectory that there is still plenty of roll in those mishits whether they be low on the clubface or off-center left/right.  His confidence is growing in the club for sure.

One question on the Fly-Z+, sometimes when he swings, some grass will get caught up in the weight underneath (this is one knock that has been issued against this club). Can the weight be loosened for cleaning in a tournament? Or just clean the best you can and live with what gets stuck under there? It's not bad, but just habit for me to want a nice clean club for each shot.

I don't know the rule on the weight thing but I wouldn't risk it for a few blades of grass or dirt.  Use a tee to pick it out if it's really bugging you.

#14 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 18 April 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

So we have been out to the range two times now with the new Fly-Z+ Driver and 3/4 FW.  We have not been out on the course to hit a Wilson Staff Duo (low compression ball) so looking forward to how it really looks when he hits something other than a range ball.

For 3/4 FW he is hitting it OK. Trajectory on it is low/line drive as expected for a front CG weighted club. If we can buildup a little more strength and swing speed, it should be better.  This club should work well on flat, hard summer courses this year.  Off the ground he hits the TS51 3W the same distance, but off the tee, he hits the Fly-Z+ 3/4 FW further (with roll).

For the Driver, he is hitting that better. On quality center hits of the club face,  he is getting another 10 yards on the range. We have experimented with the Fly-Z+ weight in the back and without the Fly-Z+ weight installed at all. Not much difference that I can tell.  Note: Fly-Z+ head without weight **is legal** for tournaments according to USGA as there are no holes exposed in the head.

So a question on a USKG TS-51 (older 320cc or even newer 440cc head): Is their a max distance a junior can hit on that club?  The best mine has ever hit the TS51 320cc club is ~140 yards total.  I'm curious just for comparison and measuring growth.

Not to start a debate but if you go the route of wanting to keep it out I would email a us kids rules official and get a ruling before going out and somehow getting DQ or something else. I've been told if it has a weight it has to stay in there but I could have gotten bad information.

#15 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Are you sure he needs the weight in there? That's a heavy head for a kid IMO. Take the weight out, SS goes up, maybe he stops hitting the big ball first as well. And if he does, no grass gets stuck anyway.

Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS 44.5"
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 19* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H Stock R Flex
Fly Z 4H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#16 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

FWIW - we sold my son's Cobra Fly Z a week or so ago on ebay and the buyer sent a message back this weekend super excited about the increased distance (20 - 30 yards is what he said) he immediately got over his US Kids driver.

#17 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 30 April 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Are you sure he needs the weight in there? That's a heavy head for a kid IMO. Take the weight out, SS goes up, maybe he stops hitting the big ball first as well. And if he does, no grass gets stuck anyway.

Yes, we have been trying it with and without the weight. He's not perfect with his consistency, but he's also not perfect with his consistency on the TS51 driver either. I'd hazard a guess that if the TS51 had a similar adjustable weight in it that it too would sometimes get grass in there.

I'm not keeping super detailed notes, but the gut feeling and results appear that he hits it farther and with better trajectory with the weight in the back vs no weight installed. The results on the course are better than the range, and I think this is because 1.) range ball compression too high and 2.) we can't get it tee'd up high enough on the range.  I've not even bothered to try with the front CG weight position.  On the course we play, it is tough to gauge distance because it is a very hilly course. Only the second hole is flat and it is slightly uphill. Best drive there is 145 yards. Overall, I think he *could* be giving up a couple MPH in swing speed with this driver, but the technology in the Cobra driver *could* also be making up for the speed. Overall club weight with the Fly-Z+ (with weight), adapter, Flynn shaft and Dri-Tac Junior is ~280g. This is in line with overall clubhead weight that OEM's produce for juniors.  Additionally, his mechanics look sound and he is striking all clubs (irons included) well including switching back and forth between old/new driver.  I'm still monitoring very closely.

If I had anything bad to say about my recent purchases for him, it's the 3/4 FWY Fly-Z+ club. Off the ground has been rough for him with that club and we won't be hitting it in tournaments just yet. Off the tee is great and definitely better than the TS51 3-W.

Note: USKG got back to me on loosening the weight to clean it. They advised not to do it and clean as best I can. I was hopeful that they could actually yes/no. No big deal. I'll go ask the question in the Rules forum.

#18 TsarBomba

TsarBomba

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451602
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 380

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

View Postleezer99, on 30 April 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

FWIW - we sold my son's Cobra Fly Z a week or so ago on ebay and the buyer sent a message back this weekend super excited about the increased distance (20 - 30 yards is what he said) he immediately got over his US Kids driver.

Saw the exact same thing with my son.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors