Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Attack angle/Driver Loft

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101289
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Was at a golf show in Boston recently, and went to the Ping tent to try out the G400 (I currently play G30LSTec) and the ping rep told me besides feel/looks that I shouldn’t really expect much difference. The monitor showed I was hitting the driver at about 100mph swing speed with attack angle of +3.2 and spin was 3200-3500. Again this was the G400 not the LST model. Distance was totaling 270 while carry was 255.

My overal question I currently am playing a 9.5 loft on my driver, with an attack angle of 2-3.2 hitting up on the ball should I be adding or reducing my loft to maximize the carry?

Ping G30 LSTec 9 degree
Taylormade M2 (2016) 15 degree
Ping G 18.5 degree
Taylormade Burner Steel Rescue 22 degrees
Callaway X-Forged '13 5-PW
Titleist SM6 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.10S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 AmazinBlue

AmazinBlue

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93222
  • Ebay ID:welchjs
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Without knowing your launch angle, itís hard to suggest changes in your club setup.  In general terms, a spin rate of 3200-3500 is high for a club head speed of 100 mph.  I would think you would be better served to be in the 2300-2500 range, but again, your launch angle plays a significant role in this.  The lower your launch angle the higher the spin rate has to be to keep the ball in the air.
Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* Aldila R.I.P. Beta 60 Stiff 44.5" 14g weight back
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 16.5* 4w Aldila Rogue Silver 70g S
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
Taylormade P770 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
Vokey SM6 58*/08* M Tour Chrome
TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weights
Titleist AVX (Bridgestone Tour B X)

#3 Valtiel

Valtiel

Dufner's Waggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:46 AM

Agreed with AmazinBlue, without knowing that actual launch angle it is hard to make a recommendation. If your hands are a bit back and you are consistently adding effective loft to that 9.5* then combine that with your AoA and you're probably launching the ball a little high and could stand to lower your loft to both lower launch and spin. Conversely, if your hands are pressed forward a bit (less likely given your positive AoA) and you were presenting less loft then you'd likely NOT want to take any loft off the driver. The former can be fixed with equipment tweaks, the latter would need a technique change, but the numbers we do have above would seem to suggest that the former is more likely.

Assuming these numbers came from center strikes, you're likely adding loft and launching too high + creating too much spin. Whether the loft is being added by technique or by improper shaft we can't say without knowing what shaft you're using, what flex it is, and what your launch numbers are.

Edited by Valtiel, 11 March 2018 - 01:47 AM.

Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 13* Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Blueboard 93x

Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24*
Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-59 5i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image SM6 58* K-Grind Brunswick Precision R
ifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Special 62* V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

#4 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 2884

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

it all starts by a judgement of smash factor, since BALL SPEED is the absolute #1 for distance
Both launch and spin is way longer down on that list, so if your Smash factor is below 1.48 as average, a improvement of ball speed will gain more yards than any change to launch and spin can provide you with.

We also have to look on impact spot on the face.
Below the center line, launch gets lower, but spin value higher
Above the center line, launch gets higher, but spin will drop.

That means we have to dial in a good impact spot to start with, because its the ruler of both Ball Speed, Launch angle and Spin value.
Before thats done, launch and spin values does not matter, simply overlook them, and make sure Smash is above 1.48 and impact is at center line or higher, THEN we can move on to judge if a higher or lower loft is the way to go to improve it even further.

Many gets hung up in launch and spin values, but its actually APEX and DESCENT that makes the difference.
A high ball speed player will get to the same APEX with a low launch angle as the low ball speed player with a high launch angle, and when we add spin values into the equation, we get a certain descent angle we can use to judge if we have optimized carry or made a good combination of carry and total.

The optimum descent angle for carry is about 40-42 for high ball speed players, while its down at 34-36 for low ball speed players
A difference of about 250 rpms makes a different to descent angle of 1*, so if we saw a descent of 42* and wanted it to be flatter and down at 40*, we need to cut of 500 Rpms of spin to get there.

Vertical gear effects is the ruler of spin on a driver, so if we wanted to cut off 500 Rpms, the fast and easy way is to raise impact spot with only 0.5 inch
That will cut of about 480 rpms of spin, without taking launch angle down as we do if we used a shaft who added less dynamic loft or static loft to get there.

So, IMPACT SPOT and SMASH FACTOR, thats where it starts, the rest is "adjustments" to get out the last few yards as carry or roll out.

#5 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Ok, so thank you all for the insight and I  agree for most part. I guess what I need help with understanding then is how are attack angle and loft related to each other. My common sense tells me if I hit the ball on the way up with my driver it’s better to be lower lofted driver, which also takes down the spin but I’ve been reading things that I think contradicts that logic.

What is an ideal attack angle with the driver anyways?

Ping G30 LSTec 9 degree
Ping G 18.5 degree

#6 Valtiel

Valtiel

Dufner's Waggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 11 March 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

Ok, so thank you all for the insight and I  agree for most part. I guess what I need help with understanding then is how are attack angle and loft related to each other. My common sense tells me if I hit the ball on the way up with my driver it’s better to be lower lofted driver, which also takes down the spin but I’ve been reading things that I think contradicts that logic.

What is an ideal attack angle with the driver anyways?

You're in a pretty ideal spot at +3.2. Attacking up provides better launch conditions, all things being equal. If you are delivering the club completely neutrally (that is, hands/arms/wrists neutral and even with the clubface) then you're basically just adding the loft of the driver plus your angle of attack to get the effective loft. That changes obviously depending on how you deliver the club though, your hands/arms as well as the type shaft you use and how you release the club will all impact your effective loft. But you're correct, if you had say a +5 AoA then most cases you would want less left on your driver to get the right launch conditions, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-ish degrees assuming most other factors are fairly neutral. Take Dustin Johnson for example, he plays (played?) a much higher loft on his driver because he hands are so far forward at impact, thus delofting the driver quite a bit which needed to be compensated for.

Howard is obviously correct though, strike is the single most important factor. Even the best positive AoA with a super low spinning head and shaft combo is still going to produce 3,000+ rpms if your strike is bad. And if your angle of attack varies from swing to swing as well as things like hand position then no amount of fitting will get you consistent results.

Edited by Valtiel, 11 March 2018 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 13* Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Blueboard 93x

Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24*
Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-59 5i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image SM6 58* K-Grind Brunswick Precision R
ifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Special 62* V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

#7 Titleist9696

Titleist9696

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481942
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Too many factors go into launch conditions besides attack angle to find what you're looking for.

I will say a lot of rep's don't know anything about fitting.

Just guessing by the little info you have, most players don't have enough loft. If you're hitting up on it then your spin shouldn't get out of control and you should be able to have as much loft as possible. Which is a good thing.

No offense, but at your speed I would think getting as much loft as possible is what a high level fitter would tell you to maximize carry.

Do you know your launch angle and decent angles?

#8 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yea so this whole post is because the ping rep at the tent said my distance dropped probably because I had that attack angle on the positive side so causing too much spin and loss of distance. I was testing a G400Max.  I currently game a G30LSTec for the last 3 years and my average carry (course data from Game Golf says my average drives are 275, which I’m happy with. I currently have the head set to 9.5. It’s been a while since I’ve been on a monitor with it but if memory serves me I was getting launch angles of 13 ish and spins at 1900-2000.
I’ve just always wondered if 9.5 was too low and if I’m losing any yards that way.
Plus my ball striking has been a lot better over the last year and a half.
Ping G30 LSTec 9 degree
Ping G 18.5 degree

#9 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 12 March 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yea so this whole post is because the ping rep at the tent said my distance dropped probably because I had that attack angle on the positive side so causing too much spin and loss of distance. I was testing a G400Max.  I currently game a G30LSTec for the last 3 years and my average carry (course data from Game Golf says my average drives are 275, which I’m happy with. I currently have the head set to 9.5. It’s been a while since I’ve been on a monitor with it but if memory serves me I was getting launch angles of 13 ish and spins at 1900-2000.
I’ve just always wondered if 9.5 was too low and if I’m losing any yards that way.

Angle of attack makes no difference what so ever to spin, its a old myth killed 10 years ago by Trackman, and this is the very first time i hear that a POSITIVE AoA would gain spin, but there is no connection that way either. On drivers, spin is mostly vertical gear effects due to impact location on the face, so if your spin value is to high, your impact on the face is to low, its that simple.

#10 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 15494

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostHoward Jones, on 12 March 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yea so this whole post is because the ping rep at the tent said my distance dropped probably because I had that attack angle on the positive side so causing too much spin and loss of distance. I was testing a G400Max.  I currently game a G30LSTec for the last 3 years and my average carry (course data from Game Golf says my average drives are 275, which Iím happy with. I currently have the head set to 9.5. Itís been a while since Iíve been on a monitor with it but if memory serves me I was getting launch angles of 13 ish and spins at 1900-2000.
Iíve just always wondered if 9.5 was too low and if Iím losing any yards that way.

Angle of attack makes no difference what so ever to spin, its a old myth killed 10 years ago by Trackman, and this is the very first time i hear that a POSITIVE AoA would gain spin, but there is no connection that way either. On drivers, spin is mostly vertical gear effects due to impact location on the face, so if your spin value is to high, your impact on the face is to low, its that simple.

Howard. First off I know very well that you know what your talking about.  But.  Take me.  Very high spin player.  Trackman verified 115 plus or minus average speed.  And a very consistent in to out path by a degree and repeatable -3 AoA.  Average spin with any Driver I tried ( 20 plus heads and shafts as I have access to a lot of good stuff ) would average at the lowerst around 2800 rpm. And at the highest 3800rpm.  My strikes  are 99% higher than center on the face with a miss that strikes very high in the face ( near Skyball). I canít hit it any higher on the face is what Iím getting at. And I too was told ď level out your AoA ď.  So Iíve worked hard to do that.  And on swings when I get it leveled out I see 20-30 yard jumps in carry and spin Down to 2k ish.  Thoughts ?

Problem is it isnít a natural swing to me.  And I struggle to repeat it on course.

Edited by bladehunter, 12 March 2018 - 02:31 PM.

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 12 March 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Yea so this whole post is because the ping rep at the tent said my distance dropped probably because I had that attack angle on the positive side so causing too much spin and loss of distance. I was testing a G400Max.  I currently game a G30LSTec for the last 3 years and my average carry (course data from Game Golf says my average drives are 275, which I'm happy with. I currently have the head set to 9.5. It's been a while since I've been on a monitor with it but if memory serves me I was getting launch angles of 13 ish and spins at 1900-2000.
I've just always wondered if 9.5 was too low and if I'm losing any yards that way.

Howard. First off I know very well that you know what your talking about.  But.  Take me.  Very high spin player.  Trackman verified 115 plus or minus average speed.  And a very consistent in to out path by a degree and repeatable -3 AoA.  Average spin with any Driver I tried ( 20 plus heads and shafts as I have access to a lot of good stuff ) would average at the lowerst around 2800 rpm. And at the highest 3800rpm.  My strikes  are 99% higher than center on the face with a miss that strikes very high in the face ( near Skyball). I can't hit it any higher on the face is what I'm getting at. And I too was told " level out your AoA ".  So I've worked hard to do that.  And on swings when I get it leveled out I see 20-30 yard jumps in carry and spin Down to 2k ish.  Thoughts ?

Problem is it isn't a natural swing to me.  And I struggle to repeat it on course.

It sound like you are not closing, but de-lofting the club trough impact, and by that make the same gear effect that a low impact causes.
A negative AoA of -3 with the driver is a lot, so whats your AoA with irons?

#12 bladehunter

bladehunter

• Advanced Members
  • 17,079 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostHoward Jones, on 12 March 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Yea so this whole post is because the ping rep at the tent said my distance dropped probably because I had that attack angle on the positive side so causing too much spin and loss of distance. I was testing a G400Max.  I currently game a G30LSTec for the last 3 years and my average carry (course data from Game Golf says my average drives are 275, which I'm happy with. I currently have the head set to 9.5. It's been a while since I've been on a monitor with it but if memory serves me I was getting launch angles of 13 ish and spins at 1900-2000.
I've just always wondered if 9.5 was too low and if I'm losing any yards that way.

Howard. First off I know very well that you know what your talking about.  But.  Take me.  Very high spin player.  Trackman verified 115 plus or minus average speed.  And a very consistent in to out path by a degree and repeatable -3 AoA.  Average spin with any Driver I tried ( 20 plus heads and shafts as I have access to a lot of good stuff ) would average at the lowerst around 2800 rpm. And at the highest 3800rpm.  My strikes  are 99% higher than center on the face with a miss that strikes very high in the face ( near Skyball). I can't hit it any higher on the face is what I'm getting at. And I too was told " level out your AoA ".  So I've worked hard to do that.  And on swings when I get it leveled out I see 20-30 yard jumps in carry and spin Down to 2k ish.  Thoughts ?

Problem is it isn't a natural swing to me.  And I struggle to repeat it on course.

It sound like you are not closing, but de-lofting the club trough impact, and by that make the same gear effect that a low impact causes.

Honestly do not know. I hit them so well I donít care. Lol. Seriously though. Driver has always been my struggle. Iíll hit a 15 degree 3 wood longer than Driver most days.  And yes. Closing the face is also my miss with Driver.  As in miss will be a push fade.  Or high right.  

Iím an upright swinger.  Tall playing Driver at 44.5. 5 iron is 38.75 inches.  Donít take a deep divot. When Iím really on itís a 6-8 inch long divot. Shallow but even.  Definitely not a digger. Always hit thin sole irons best.  Iíll take a shallow divot After the ball with a 3 wood too most swings.  

Sounds like closing the face is more important than AoA.  ?  My bandaid for that is starting it shut at address.  Brings in an occasional hook. But eliminates wide right.  My trouble is that my release is very much tied to my body turn rather than hands with irons. Iím so upright I just adjust Path slightly and if I have face square to that at impact I hit a draw of a fade.  Trouble with Driver is it requires some more hand action to get the big head squared up.  I can do that. Itís just a new action. Which feels like a flip to get the face closed.  Itís amazing him much spin I can put on a ball.  

#13 Titleist9696

Titleist9696

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

Take it for what its worth. I'm no fitting expert, but I do know that having and upward attack angle is typically better for lower spin. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, but just like most of the golf community they don't know what they're talking about. (No offense to anyone in particular, but just because some random 5 handicap/Rep says that I wouldn't take their word)

Also Iron AA angle and driver aren't correlated to spin necessarily either. Not that I'm a shining example. I'm a -6 AA on my 7 iron which is steep and right at 7K RPMs and +2 AA 2200 RPMs with my Driver on my trackman.

When I go to TPI. My fitter starts with my decent angle and works back from there. Guessing by you batting around 100 MPH and launching 13, 2K RPMs you could safely crank up the loft.

I'll shut up, just be careful who you take advice from man... that is really sad a rep is that dumb.

#14 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Yea the bigger problem is I’m a lefty and they didn’t have a LSTec club head for me to really compare. I tend to get higher spin numbers on my driver, and the LST has always seemed to get the distance I like, although I hope to break into the 280 zone someday
Ping G30 LSTec 9 degree
Ping G 18.5 degree

#15 Titleist9696

Titleist9696

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 12 March 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Yea the bigger problem is I’m a lefty and they didn’t have a LSTec club head for me to really compare. I tend to get higher spin numbers on my driver, and the LST has always seemed to get the distance I like, although I hope to break into the 280 zone someday

I would think if you optimize flight you should be able to touch 280 or right around. I'd try and find a higher level fitter and try some other stuff out.

#16 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:22 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 12 March 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostHoward Jones, on 12 March 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Honestly do not know. I hit them so well I don't care. Lol. Seriously though. Driver has always been my struggle. I'll hit a 15 degree 3 wood longer than Driver most days.  And yes. Closing the face is also my miss with Driver.  As in miss will be a push fade.  Or high right.  

I'm an upright swinger.  Tall playing Driver at 44.5. 5 iron is 38.75 inches.  Don't take a deep divot. When I'm really on it's a 6-8 inch long divot. Shallow but even.  Definitely not a digger. Always hit thin sole irons best.  I'll take a shallow divot After the ball with a 3 wood too most swings.  

Sounds like closing the face is more important than AoA.  ?  My bandaid for that is starting it shut at address.  Brings in an occasional hook. But eliminates wide right.  My trouble is that my release is very much tied to my body turn rather than hands with irons. I'm so upright I just adjust Path slightly and if I have face square to that at impact I hit a draw of a fade.  Trouble with Driver is it requires some more hand action to get the big head squared up.  I can do that. It's just a new action. Which feels like a flip to get the face closed.  It's amazing him much spin I can put on a ball.  

Face angle is direction, so yes its the most important, while Angle of attack makes a difference for how much launch we can get from a certain loft. With a negative AoA we need more loft to get to the same launch angle as a player with positive AoA, and thats the indirect connection to spin.

If we say we had 2 players 1 with a AoA of minus 3 and the other with plus 3, and they was playing the same static loft, their spin values should be equal with the same impact spot, but launch angle would be very different. If the player with negative Aoa wants the same launch as the player with a positive AoA he will have to compensate with more loft, and using more loft adds spin.

Make sure your impact is close to the club heads vertical center of gravity, that means we should start by measuring out where that is, and anyone can do that, its quite simple. You can follow this link into my DIY driver tune up and you will find a explanation with photo illustration on how you do that.

http://www.golfwrx.c...up-diy-fitting/

About your swing and errors, they are like i would expect, so im thinking "how constant" is your BALL SPEED ?
if it vary a lot, or your average smash factor is below 1.48, my suggestion is that you slow down and hold your focus on your swing and impact. At the moment (with only a few parameters as info), you seems to be more focused on gaining club speed than how the club is delivered to the ball. Your club speed is the he higher end, and that means you loose even more of your potential with a "not so good impact", compared to a lower club speed player, so only a tad slower might improve it all big time.

Here is how it might look for different club speeds.

90 mph with a smash of 1.45 = 130.5
90 mph with a smash of 1.50 = 135.0
Difference is 4.5 mph ball speed x 2 = 9 yards

100 mph with a smash of 1.45 =
100 mph with a smash of 1.50 =
Difference is 5 mph ball speed x 2 = 10 yards

110 mph with a smash of 1.45 = 159.5
110 mph with a smash of 1.50 = 165
Difference is 5.5 mph ball speed x 2 = 11 yards

115 mph with a smash of 1.45 = 166.75
115 mph with a smash of 1.50 = 172.5
Difference is 5.75 mph ball speed x 2 = 11.5 yards

As you can see the high club speed player looses more yards than the others if his PTR value /smash is to low (no good impact), so lets just jump to BALL SPEED. A Good impact from a  club speed of 110 with 1.5 PTR gives 165 mph, compared to a "not so good impact" from 115 with a PTR of 1.45 gives 166.75. On the paper that gives 1.75 Mph difference only or about 3.5 yards BUT the impact with a PTR of 1.5 would have LOWER spin value, and more "correct" launch angle from that loft, so this shot will be the longest and the best

Find out where VCOG is on your club head, and slow down a few Mph on your club speed and have focus on your swing and impact, NOT your club speed, it will follow back up again when the rest works better than now.

Edited by Howard Jones, 13 March 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#17 jjones922

jjones922

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465052
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostHoward Jones, on 11 March 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

it all starts by a judgement of smash factor, since BALL SPEED is the absolute #1 for distance
Both launch and spin is way longer down on that list, so if your Smash factor is below 1.48 as average, a improvement of ball speed will gain more yards than any change to launch and spin can provide you with.

We also have to look on impact spot on the face.
Below the center line, launch gets lower, but spin value higher
Above the center line, launch gets higher, but spin will drop.

That means we have to dial in a good impact spot to start with, because its the ruler of both Ball Speed, Launch angle and Spin value.
Before thats done, launch and spin values does not matter, simply overlook them, and make sure Smash is above 1.48 and impact is at center line or higher, THEN we can move on to judge if a higher or lower loft is the way to go to improve it even further.

Many gets hung up in launch and spin values, but its actually APEX and DESCENT that makes the difference.
A high ball speed player will get to the same APEX with a low launch angle as the low ball speed player with a high launch angle, and when we add spin values into the equation, we get a certain descent angle we can use to judge if we have optimized carry or made a good combination of carry and total.

The optimum descent angle for carry is about 40-42 for high ball speed players, while its down at 34-36 for low ball speed players
A difference of about 250 rpms makes a different to descent angle of 1*, so if we saw a descent of 42* and wanted it to be flatter and down at 40*, we need to cut of 500 Rpms of spin to get there.

Vertical gear effects is the ruler of spin on a driver, so if we wanted to cut off 500 Rpms, the fast and easy way is to raise impact spot with only 0.5 inch
That will cut of about 480 rpms of spin, without taking launch angle down as we do if we used a shaft who added less dynamic loft or static loft to get there.

So, IMPACT SPOT and SMASH FACTOR, thats where it starts, the rest is "adjustments" to get out the last few yards as carry or roll out.

Thank you for posting this

#18 bladehunter

bladehunter

• Advanced Members
  • 17,079 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Thank you Mr.  Jones for the Help and ideas.  

That does make sense.  And Iím going to follow that link tonight and Iíll post back what I find.      Iím not a hopeless case with Driver. Just fighting for that ever increasing balance of distance and dispersion with Driver.  Iím 100 % happy with every club I own and donít even look anymore emaccept Driver.  And itís better than it was last year.  One day.  Lol. One day !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors