Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Donegal, Ireland Golf

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GodSpeed

GodSpeed

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153875
  • Handicap:9.6
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Going to be in  a few different places in Ireland this coming week, but the place I’ll have time to hit the links is in Donegal.

Anyone have any recommendations for that area?

Ping G25 w/ Speeder 757 X
Titleist 910F 14* w/ Px 6.5 S
Titleist 910F 18* w/ Kai'li 75 S
Titleist 913H 21.5* w/ Blueboard 83HY S
Ping i20 5-PW w/ Modus3 Tour 120
Vokey 52/56/60
Bettinardi BBF8

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Depends on how much you want to travel, but there is a lot of great golf around there.

Ballyliffin, Rosapenna would be my top 2; thenNairn and Donegal Club.   You could got to Cruit as well.  Portsalon is ok...  I personally love Lough Erne ...but note it is inland and not links (it is around a lake).

#3 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1058

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

I played both courses at Ballyliffin a couple of years ago, and had a great time.  That's the only place I've played in Donegal, but I know there are more good courses around the coast.  Depending on where you're based, Ballyliffin could be a long drive, but if you could spend a night there it could work.

#4 sunbeltgolfer

sunbeltgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160353
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

Second the Ballyliffin thought. The two courses are quite different and both extremely good layouts. Can't imagine you would be disappointed.

#5 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 10 March 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Depends on how much you want to travel, but there is a lot of great golf around there.

Ballyliffin, Rosapenna would be my top 2; thenNairn and Donegal Club.   You could got to Cruit as well.  Portsalon is ok...  I personally love Lough Erne ...but note it is inland and not links (it is around a lake).
This is dead on. The course that looks weird above is Narin & Portnoo.

I like Portsalon better than Murvagh (Donegal) but close enough.

#6 fullstop

fullstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116610
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Gonna re-post one I made here before;

- Rosapenna - 2 courses there, the Old Tom Morris & Sandy Hills Links. Sandy Hills can be very punishing if the wind gets up at all, but it a really good layout. Old Tom course is a more forgiving layout, but still challenging, with 8 or 9 new holes opened about 10 years ago to replace ones they used to have across the road. There is a hotel on site owned by the family who own the course and the clubhouse or 'Golf Pavillion' is beautiful. You'll also see some pictures in there of the winner of the inaugural scratch cup, a Mr McIlory. In the village of Downings, there are a couple of great little bars, the Harbour Bar and The Singing Pub, well worth a look.

- Ballyliffin - 2 courses here as well. Nick Faldo visited in the 90s and tried to buy the place, but they wouldn't sell to him. He still did some re-design work on the Old Links, which is a really nice layout with rolling fairways and lots of humps and hollows. The Glasheady Links has been given the Irish Open for 2018 and is a fantastic course. The aforementioned McIlroy shot his Oakley commercials on Glasheady when he was sponsored by them. It will also host the Irish Open this year.

- Portsalon - Very good golf course, even better beach (worth a google image search). Another course that was re-designed about 10 years ago with new holes added and some existing ones re-shaped. The 2nd is a particular highlight with a tee shot curving around the beach followed by an approach over a large stream into a very tricky green.

Murvagh - Good mix of some scoreable par 5s and some very tough par 4s. The par 3 5th 'Valley of Tears' is a highlight. Haven't played it in a couple of years, but the greens are usually very good.

Cruit Island I've only played once. As stated above it's only 9 hole and not the most amazing layout, but there are a couple of great holes including a par 3 across the ocean. If you're nearby it's worth playing.

Narin & Portnoo is unfortunately closed for the past couple of months over a money dispute.

#7 sabram

sabram

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 441

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

I am a big fan of Port Salon (pronounced Port Salin, with the accent on "Sal")) and Narin & Portnoo. Unfortunately, N&P is currently closed as someone mentioned above. I hope it reopens soon. Each of those courses has a load of excellent holes and will give you the sense of playing among the Irish. Donnegal generally has a much less touristy feel than the big names like Ballybunion and Lahinch to the South.

Rosapenna and Ballyliffin each has 36 holes. Each place has one modern "brawny" course and one smaller quirkier old school course. The Old Course at Ballyliffin is the humpiest course I've ever played and requires the ability to play from every kind of lie you can imagine. The Glashedy Course at Ballyliffin is comparable to the Sandy Hills course at Rosapenna, although I'd say Sandy Hills is a little more difficult and a little more scenic. Both Rosapenna and Ballyliffin are fun places to visit and are fairly comparable. For the golf alone I'd give a slight edge to Rosapenna. However, Ballyliffin is one of the most welcoming places I've ever played so if you want to hang out in the club house and enjoy the craic, I'd give the edge to Ballyliffin.

Cruit Island (pronounced "Critch") is a cool place to play. It has a lot of postcard views  and is a cool trip just to get there, but as a golf course, I'd suggest playing one of the other mentioned above

Here are links to photo tours of most of the courses mentioned in this thread.

https://www.flickr.c...th/27924165092/  Ballyliffin Glashedy

https://www.flickr.c...57669722164082/  Ballyliffin Old

https://www.flickr.c...th/28062343841/  Narin & Portnoo

https://www.flickr.c...57667715132893/  Portsalon

https://www.flickr.c...57667820436694/  Cruit Island

https://www.flickr.c...57670586177805/ Rosapenna Old Tom Morris

https://www.flickr.c...57670624619095/  Rosapenna Sandy Hills

Posted Image
Ballyliffin Glashedy #5 par 3 172 yards  from tips

Posted Image
Ballyliffin Old #17 par 3 152 yards

Posted Image
Narin & Portnoo #10 approach

Posted Image
Portsalon #2 from tee

Posted Image
Cruit Island #3 pitch to green below plateau

Posted Image
Rosapenna Old Tom Morris #14 par 3 175 yards

Posted Image
Rosapenna Sandy Hills #6  approach

#8 sabram

sabram

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 441

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Just saw a post on Golfclubatlas saying Narin & Portnoo has reopened. Put it near the top of your list for Donegal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors