Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 2 votes

2018 Callaway X Forged


173 replies to this topic

#61 scooterboy59

scooterboy59

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116797
  • Joined: 10/29/2010
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

 bogeypro, on 28 March 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

 Hot Rod 71, on 26 March 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

For you folks using the X-Forged UT as long irons.....how the launch and spin?

I have used a couple of driving irons that were great off the tee but could be tough to launch off the turf. What kind of ball flight are you seeing?

I use my 21* UT as my 3 iron.  I don't consider it a driving iron... I consider it a long iron.  I feel that I'm hitting it higher than I would a normal 3 iron and it has stopping power on the greens.   I don't care for hybrids so I really can't compare.
I have the 21, 24, 27 UT's 6, 7, 8 X forged and Apex MB's 8,9,pw with +1 degree on the MB's. They all match up perfect for me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 PatsNation

PatsNation

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125004
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

Howís the spin/launch on these compared to other irons? Debating if I should get them bent 1 degree strong. High spin/launch player.
M3 8.5 +HC Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 65g
M2 Tour + Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
816H2 + HC Hzrdus  Black 6.0 85g
18 X Forged + C Taper S
Sm7's+ 610 S
SC Newport

2

#63 swanks

swanks

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62200
  • Joined: 08/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

I was fitted for these the other week. UPS was kind enough to drop them off today. Looking forward to getting some ball marks on them.

IMG_3076.JPG

3

#64 rxk9fan

rxk9fan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479792
  • Joined: 08/22/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:56 AM

 Chunk777, on 02 April 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

How's the spin/launch on these compared to other irons? Debating if I should get them bent 1 degree strong. High spin/launch player.

I too am high launch and spin.  Of course shaft plays a role in this but with any combo that matches my swing speed, spin and height is a consideration.
I got the numbers I wanted bending everything 2 degrees strong.  I can now control the trajectory taking them high or low when needed.  The spin is perfect....grabbing greens very well (stopping quickly but not backing up to the degree where that is a problem) and not ballooning into the wind.
TM M3 with Motore Speeder VC 6.3 Tour Spec Stiff played at 44.5
Callaway 15 degree SZ with Yellow Hzd. stiff playing 1/2 inch short
Titleist 816 19 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
Titleist 816 23 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
TM P770's with Steelfiber shafts PW-6i
TM P790 5i
TM Milled Grind 50SB and 54LB
TM Hi Toe 60
Scotty futura 5w

OR

scheduled build to combine Recoil Proto 110 F4 with TM P750 Proto on 8/21/18 :-)

4

#65 bulls9999

bulls9999

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73827
  • Joined: 01/26/2009
  • Handicap:16.7
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

I spent an hour at our club's demo days hitting the Apex Pro 16 forged and loved them vs the Rogue Pro and loved the Apex Pro (Rogue Pro had a fatter topline, ugh).  I even had the guy put in a graphite shaft (heaviest he had was a Recoil 85-gram/780-F4?, wanted a 95-110-gm to compare with the XP-105/stiff steel I was hitting so well) and that graphite also felt so well...went on to hit that for another bucket worth of balls...felt great.  Never hit soooo many good shots in a row, maybe 50 great shots and 2 bad shots.  But he didn't have the X-forged in left hand (I'm a lefty).  Anyone, how does the X-forged compare with the Apex Pro 16? (hmmm....do they come in lefty?).

 Hot Rod 71, on 22 March 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

I removed the paint-fill from my set with the intention of re-painting with white. However, I may just leave them naked.

61F6DA65-3825-4C3D-8FFD-265EAFFCE4F5.jpeg
66E97880-3240-4C8B-AE2D-0EA89D97E8EA.jpeg

Edited by bulls9999, 08 April 2018 - 09:16 AM.


5

#66 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1423

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

I find the x forged to feel just as good, but a little more forgiving.  Slightly larger blade on x forged., if I remember correctly, but still very compact with little offset.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 917 F2 5 wood
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw
Titleist Vokey SM6 52f/58m
putter: who knows... I 3 putt with all of them

6

#67 rxk9fan

rxk9fan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479792
  • Joined: 08/22/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

 Chunk777, on 02 April 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

How’s the spin/launch on these compared to other irons? Debating if I should get them bent 1 degree strong. High spin/launch player.
I bent mine 2 degrees strong for that reason.
TM M3 with Motore Speeder VC 6.3 Tour Spec Stiff played at 44.5
Callaway 15 degree SZ with Yellow Hzd. stiff playing 1/2 inch short
Titleist 816 19 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
Titleist 816 23 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
TM P770's with Steelfiber shafts PW-6i
TM P790 5i
TM Milled Grind 50SB and 54LB
TM Hi Toe 60
Scotty futura 5w

OR

scheduled build to combine Recoil Proto 110 F4 with TM P750 Proto on 8/21/18 :-)

7

#68 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1423

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

 rxk9fan, on 08 April 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

 Chunk777, on 02 April 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

Howís the spin/launch on these compared to other irons? Debating if I should get them bent 1 degree strong. High spin/launch player.
I bent mine 2 degrees strong for that reason.

Slot of that depends on the player.  Iíve found that they have more traditional spin (7 iron spins around 6300-6400 for me).
Titleist 917 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 917 F2 5 wood
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw
Titleist Vokey SM6 52f/58m
putter: who knows... I 3 putt with all of them

8

#69 rxk9fan

rxk9fan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479792
  • Joined: 08/22/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

My current head to head finalist for this years bag!
TM M3 with Motore Speeder VC 6.3 Tour Spec Stiff played at 44.5
Callaway 15 degree SZ with Yellow Hzd. stiff playing 1/2 inch short
Titleist 816 19 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
Titleist 816 23 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
TM P770's with Steelfiber shafts PW-6i
TM P790 5i
TM Milled Grind 50SB and 54LB
TM Hi Toe 60
Scotty futura 5w

OR

scheduled build to combine Recoil Proto 110 F4 with TM P750 Proto on 8/21/18 :-)

9

#70 bcsquare

bcsquare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486266
  • Joined: 11/07/2017
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:tangray06
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

For the X Forged users out there, has anyone had any issues with their clubs after a few months?

I was at the range Friday and pulled out my 6i to work out a few shots. I found that the head had rotated about 45*. This is after a few months of use. The shaft and ferrule didn't have any noticeable gap between the head. The grip and shaft were just clocked counterclockwise.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*, Tour 65 Stiff
Ping G400 3w, Tour 75 Stiff
Ping G400 19* hybrid, Alta CB Stiff
Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4i, TT AMT White S300
Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW, KBS Tour V Stiff
Titleist SM7 50*, 56*, KBS Tour V
Toulon Madison

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 DTown3011

DTown3011

    #DTown3011

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59636
  • Joined: 07/05/2008
  • Location:Colorado
GolfWRX Likes : 1256

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

 scooterboy59, on 29 March 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

 bogeypro, on 28 March 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

 Hot Rod 71, on 26 March 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

For you folks using the X-Forged UT as long irons.....how the launch and spin?

I have used a couple of driving irons that were great off the tee but could be tough to launch off the turf. What kind of ball flight are you seeing?

I use my 21* UT as my 3 iron.  I don't consider it a driving iron... I consider it a long iron.  I feel that I'm hitting it higher than I would a normal 3 iron and it has stopping power on the greens.   I don't care for hybrids so I really can't compare.
I have the 21, 24, 27 UT's 6, 7, 8 X forged and Apex MB's 8,9,pw with +1 degree on the MB's. They all match up perfect for me.

Great feedback - thinking of doing the same!
Rogue 10.5* MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 60S
Rogue SZ 15* MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
Rogue 3h 19* KBS Hybrid Prototype 85S
Apex '14 #4-PW KBS Tour 120 Matte Black
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Callaway '18 Chrome Soft X Truvis

11

#72 bulls9999

bulls9999

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73827
  • Joined: 01/26/2009
  • Handicap:16.7
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

I'm excited.  I was happy enough to have found 'a club' I could hit well (i.e., the Apex Pro 16 forged), and if the X-forged are that good, I don't mind having a tough decision (I must say, the head on the Apex Pro's were small, but I don't mind.. ...I have a hybrid I've named 'peanut head' (my wife loves when I say "I think this is a job for peanut head"), and it's really tiny, the TM 'Raylor'.  But from my Demo Days trials, I really enjoyed the Recoil shaft as well.....so that will be another decision, steel or graphite.

 bogeypro, on 08 April 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

I find the x forged to feel just as good, but a little more forgiving.  Slightly larger blade on x forged., if I remember correctly, but still very compact with little offset.


12

#73 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

13

#74 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

    #TheWRX

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:RVA
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6599

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.

You're the first person I've heard characterize impact with these irons as "hard". I'm a bit surprised, frankly. What shafts were in them?
PING G400 LST 10* - Handcrafted HZRDUS Black 65
PING i25 15* - Purple Ice 70
PING Anser 17* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 82
PING iBlades 4-PW - DG AMT Tour Issue S400
PING Glide 2.0 50* - KBS 610, 54* & 60* Stealth - KBS 610/ Hi Rev 2.0
Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW
Snell MTB Black

14

#75 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

He had PX LZ 6.0 in them.  I’d be surprised if it was the shafts....but maybe it could be...

I will say that I hit the X forged at a local PGASS with PX 6.0 in them and they didn’t seem to be so hard feeling.  

Maybe the LZs are making the heads feel hard then.... hmm....dunno to be honest.

Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

15

#76 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

 Hot Rod 71, on 15 April 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.

You're the first person I've heard characterize impact with these irons as "hard". I'm a bit surprised, frankly. What shafts were in them?

Btw, i did recently buy some MP15s with LZ 6.0in them and I noticed a similar hard feeling.  So maybe it is the shafts?  Seems odd though, as the PX shafts should be more harsh than the LZs from everything I’ve read....   not my experience thus far.  Guess I’m an odd duck....
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

16

#77 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

    #TheWRX

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:RVA
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6599

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

He had PX LZ 6.0 in them.  I’d be surprised if it was the shafts....but maybe it could be...

I will say that I hit the X forged at a local PGASS with PX 6.0 in them and they didn’t seem to be so hard feeling.  

Maybe the LZs are making the heads feel hard then.... hmm....dunno to be honest.

Could be. I haven't hit the X-Forged with a PX shaft so I can't offer a comparison. I know from previous experience with standard PX that they can add some harshness.

I'm not doubting your feel, I was just surprised to hear it. These are as soft as anything I've played over the past few years (16 Apex Pro, Srixon Z-765, Apex MB).
PING G400 LST 10* - Handcrafted HZRDUS Black 65
PING i25 15* - Purple Ice 70
PING Anser 17* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 82
PING iBlades 4-PW - DG AMT Tour Issue S400
PING Glide 2.0 50* - KBS 610, 54* & 60* Stealth - KBS 610/ Hi Rev 2.0
Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW
Snell MTB Black

17

#78 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

 Hot Rod 71, on 15 April 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

He had PX LZ 6.0 in them.  I’d be surprised if it was the shafts....but maybe it could be...

I will say that I hit the X forged at a local PGASS with PX 6.0 in them and they didn’t seem to be so hard feeling.  

Maybe the LZs are making the heads feel hard then.... hmm....dunno to be honest.

Could be. I haven't hit the X-Forged with a PX shaft so I can't offer a comparison. I know from previous experience with standard PX that they can add some harshness.

I'm not doubting your feel, I was just surprised to hear it. These are as soft as anything I've played over the past few years (16 Apex Pro, Srixon Z-765, Apex MB).

Yeah, I was really surprised...something seems off then.
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

18

#79 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

X-Forged is hot.  One of my go-to's in a fitting if a guy wants to keep some traditional looks but get a bit more heat behind the ball.  These, Z765, and MP18MMC are neck and neck for me for traditionally sized, ball speed player's irons.
Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

19

#80 96p993

96p993

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216625
  • Joined: 12/18/2012
  • Location:Butte
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

 scooterboy59, on 29 March 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

 bogeypro, on 28 March 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

 Hot Rod 71, on 26 March 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

For you folks using the X-Forged UT as long irons.....how the launch and spin?

I have used a couple of driving irons that were great off the tee but could be tough to launch off the turf. What kind of ball flight are you seeing?

I use my 21* UT as my 3 iron.  I don't consider it a driving iron... I consider it a long iron.  I feel that I'm hitting it higher than I would a normal 3 iron and it has stopping power on the greens.   I don't care for hybrids so I really can't compare.
I have the 21, 24, 27 UT's 6, 7, 8 X forged and Apex MB's 8,9,pw with +1 degree on the MB's. They all match up perfect for me.


Did you get this set directly from Callaway? You show you have 8 irons in both the X and the MB, which are you actually bagging? Did you hit the X long irons before deciding to go with the UT in your longer irons? If so, how did you feel they compared?

Thanks


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 rxk9fan

rxk9fan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479792
  • Joined: 08/22/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

 Hot Rod 71, on 15 April 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.

You're the first person I've heard characterize impact with these irons as "hard". I'm a bit surprised, frankly. What shafts were in them?

I would have never have originally described them as hard.  I played them with both the Project X 6.0 and the Steelfiber.  After hitting the TM P770, I have to say in comparison the X Forged felt hard and that was with same shaft hitting alternating balls between sets.  I love the X Forged, but after doing the side by side test I will be selling mine and playing the P770 this year.  The ONLY reason is how much softer the P770 feels.  Other than that, I could flip a coin because performance is pretty much identical in every way and that means amazing!
TM M3 with Motore Speeder VC 6.3 Tour Spec Stiff played at 44.5
Callaway 15 degree SZ with Yellow Hzd. stiff playing 1/2 inch short
Titleist 816 19 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
Titleist 816 23 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
TM P770's with Steelfiber shafts PW-6i
TM P790 5i
TM Milled Grind 50SB and 54LB
TM Hi Toe 60
Scotty futura 5w

OR

scheduled build to combine Recoil Proto 110 F4 with TM P750 Proto on 8/21/18 :-)

21

#82 Hifade

Hifade

    Boots are made for walkin'

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26
  • Joined: 04/07/2005
  • Location:O to the HI O
  • Handicap:+3
  • Ebay ID:usopenqualifier
GolfWRX Likes : 771

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

 Hot Rod 71, on 25 March 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

 tap in birdie, on 25 March 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

This is a joke right ? Can anyone honestly say these are better in anyway than the last x forged ? They look like trash, feel cheap, and I love callaway. Just my opinion.

Well then, I guess I'll be selling mine. Better yet, I'll just break them over my knee and toss them in the trash.

All this time I thought they were really good irons.  :dntknw:

Yep, I think I'll do the same with both my new sets. Cheap, lousy sh!t. :swoon:
PING G400 MAX 9* - TOUR 65 "S" & PX EVENFLOW BLACK 65g 6.5
CALLAWAY GBB EPIC 9* - PX EVENFLOW BLACK 65g 6.5
CALLAWAY GBB EPIC 15* - PX HC EVENFLOW RED 75g 6.5
TITLEIST 18* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
CALLAWAY '18 X-FORGED 4-PW - KBS TOUR-V 110 HSx1
CALLAWAY ROGUE PRO 4-PW - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's HSx1 (experimenting)
CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's
ODYSSEY EXO 7S - CUSTOM
TAYLORMADE TOUR RED SPYDER - CUSTOM
SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's

22

#83 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

 Hifade, on 15 April 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

 Hot Rod 71, on 25 March 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

 tap in birdie, on 25 March 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

This is a joke right ? Can anyone honestly say these are better in anyway than the last x forged ? They look like trash, feel cheap, and I love callaway. Just my opinion.

Well then, I guess I'll be selling mine. Better yet, I'll just break them over my knee and toss them in the trash.

All this time I thought they were really good irons.  :dntknw:

Yep, I think I'll do the same with both my new sets. Cheap, lousy sh!t. :swoon:

While I agree with the first guy they don't look nearly as sexy as the 2013 model...but to call them ugly and cheap feeling is a bit harsh.
Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

23

#84 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 469

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
I hit everything out there and they were the softest thing going, followed by the Srixon 765s.
Just goes to show, feel is subjective.....
Never heard any one describe them as “hard”....I hit them with PX 6.0, which are rebar for me.....still, the heads felt incredible.
GBB Epic 10.5 (11.5) Fuji Pro 62   Back to the speeder 661
XHot 15* and 19*
Apex Hybrid  23 & 26 Kuro Kage stiff
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105 stiff
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and 58 X grinds
Betti Studio Stock #8/ Bettinardi BB1/ 2016 Bettinardi Tiki / MXM Versa #1
Chrome Soft/ KSig/ FG Tour/ Tour B XS

24

#85 jbird902

jbird902

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15150
  • Joined: 05/31/2006
  • Location:Vermont
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Iím playing them with ctaper 120 ss1x. Best combo of feel forgiveness and distance I could find in a players iron.  I think they are pretty soft. And Iím coming from 0311tís


25

#86 paztormike

paztormike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98036
  • Joined: 11/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
This comment shocks me. I'm wondering what kind of ball you were hitting. Range balls? Were you able to compare it side by side with anything?

About 6 years ago, I bought a set of irons online and took them to the range. They felt really awful and I was incredibly disappointed. When I went for my first round with them and played a decent ball, I remember feeling so relieved when I realized that they felt great with a decent ball.

As far as I'm concerned, the X Forged feel as good as anything that I can remember hitting. I play a Chromesoft and am constantly wowed by how great it feels.

26

#87 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

 paztormike, on 15 April 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
This comment shocks me. I'm wondering what kind of ball you were hitting. Range balls? Were you able to compare it side by side with anything?

About 6 years ago, I bought a set of irons online and took them to the range. They felt really awful and I was incredibly disappointed. When I went for my first round with them and played a decent ball, I remember feeling so relieved when I realized that they felt great with a decent ball.

As far as I'm concerned, the X Forged feel as good as anything that I can remember hitting. I play a Chromesoft and am constantly wowed by how great it feels.
Yes, range balls, but I had my MP5s with Ctapers with me and the feel wasnt even close.  

One thing it could have been is his specs.  He plays standard length clubs and upright lie angles while mine are longer and flatter.  I may have been thinning them slightly but not realizing it.  In fairness I only hit about 10 shots in total, but was very put off by them.  I’ll try them again if I get the chance.
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

27

#88 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1423

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

 paztormike, on 15 April 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
This comment shocks me. I'm wondering what kind of ball you were hitting. Range balls? Were you able to compare it side by side with anything?

About 6 years ago, I bought a set of irons online and took them to the range. They felt really awful and I was incredibly disappointed. When I went for my first round with them and played a decent ball, I remember feeling so relieved when I realized that they felt great with a decent ball.

As far as I'm concerned, the X Forged feel as good as anything that I can remember hitting. I play a Chromesoft and am constantly wowed by how great it feels.
Yes, range balls, but I had my MP5s with Ctapers with me and the feel wasnt even close.  

One thing it could have been is his specs.  He plays standard length clubs and upright lie angles while mine are longer and flatter.  I may have been thinning them slightly but not realizing it.  In fairness I only hit about 10 shots in total, but was very put off by them.  Iíll try them again if I get the chance.

Not picking on you personally, just using as an example.  

Reviews like this just really irritate me.  Some dude comes in and talks about how crappy a club felt and performed, but doesnít tell you that it was too ill fitted to even make good contact with the crappy range ball on the 10 swings he took after just getting et out of the car.

Edited by bogeypro, 16 April 2018 - 08:42 AM.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 917 F2 5 wood
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw
Titleist Vokey SM6 52f/58m
putter: who knows... I 3 putt with all of them

28

#89 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

 bogeypro, on 16 April 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

 paztormike, on 15 April 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

 DNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Buddy of mine is on Cally staff, so I got to hit his Xforged sticks...I was extremely surprised by how hard they felt through the strike.  I was eyeing these before, but not now.  Pretty looking though.
This comment shocks me. I'm wondering what kind of ball you were hitting. Range balls? Were you able to compare it side by side with anything?

About 6 years ago, I bought a set of irons online and took them to the range. They felt really awful and I was incredibly disappointed. When I went for my first round with them and played a decent ball, I remember feeling so relieved when I realized that they felt great with a decent ball.

As far as I'm concerned, the X Forged feel as good as anything that I can remember hitting. I play a Chromesoft and am constantly wowed by how great it feels.
Yes, range balls, but I had my MP5s with Ctapers with me and the feel wasnt even close.  

One thing it could have been is his specs.  He plays standard length clubs and upright lie angles while mine are longer and flatter.  I may have been thinning them slightly but not realizing it.  In fairness I only hit about 10 shots in total, but was very put off by them.  I’ll try them again if I get the chance.

Not picking on you personally, just using as an example.  

Reviews like this just really irritate me.  Some dude comes in and talks about how crappy a club felt and performed, but doesn’t tell you that it was too ill fitted to even make good contact with the crappy range ball on the 10 swings he took after just getting et out of the car.

Well, I never said it was a review.  I was warmed up before I hit them.  I also never mentioned that I had an issue with the performance, simply that I didn’t like the feel and that it surprised me.  The ball went where I wanted it to, the feel was just pretty bad.  Especially compared to my MP5s.  

Not sure why you would be irritated by any feedback on any clubs.  I welcome all feedback i can read on a club when I’m interested in one.  Both negative and positive.  All it tells me is that i need to try them for myself.  At the end of the day, everyone would be well served to try the clubs they are interested in.
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

29

#90 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

    #TheWRX

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:RVA
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6599

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

DNice26....my apologies for unleashing the hounds, haha. To confirm your thoughts, I was talking to a friend today about the 2018 X-Forged and he pretty much said the same thing you did. He said they weren't as soft as he expected. He said they were soft, but with a definite firmness to them, if that makes sense. He plays the Cleveland 588 forged combo set which are very soft feeling.

I would venture to guess that those who come from a very soft forged iron like Mizunos will say these feel firm.

Edited by Hot Rod 71, 16 April 2018 - 07:22 PM.

PING G400 LST 10* - Handcrafted HZRDUS Black 65
PING i25 15* - Purple Ice 70
PING Anser 17* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 82
PING iBlades 4-PW - DG AMT Tour Issue S400
PING Glide 2.0 50* - KBS 610, 54* & 60* Stealth - KBS 610/ Hi Rev 2.0
Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW
Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors