Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What are your thoughts on ClubCorp? What deal did you negotiate?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oilman83

Oilman83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128118
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:24 AM

Looking into a ClubCorp owned golf membership in the Houston area. What should I look out for and is there anything that I should ask for to maximize my benefit (i.e. free carts for year, locker, One membership)

Also maybe looking into bringing multiple people with me.

Thanks for the info!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

I am a member of Falcon Point in Katy which is a Clubcorp course. I like it but I would say it isn't for everybody. I'm sure there are better courses that aren't as busy or have as many members. I enjoy it, and use the travel benefits a lot, which was the main advantage for me to join. Tough course, which has made me a better player. Water doesn't scare me anymore!

#3 Oilman83

Oilman83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128118
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

How are the members? Good golfers there?

#4 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

There's definitely a mix. If you play in the Saturday morning game or any of the MGA events most everyone I'd say is decent with some pretty good players. And they are usually pretty fun. Only a few over zealous competitors. We have a few terrible players but they typically pick up and don't hold up play. Only been a few times I've been unhappy about pace a play but hasn't been an issue in a while.

#5 PaulCGaffney

PaulCGaffney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488960
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the info!

TM 2017 M1 8.5° - Aldila NV Protopype
Callaway XR16 4 Wood
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron
Adams Super 9031 20°
Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Titleist Vokey 54 & 58
Callaway PM Grind 64°
Odessey White Hot XG Rossie -or- Scotty Cameron California Sonoma

#6 tanker44

tanker44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357941
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

I worked for a ClubCorp course between 2002 and 2009 in the golf shop.  During those years I watched ClubCorp take our once exclusively private golf club and turn it into a chaotically managed semi-private club.  ClubCorp makes money by hosting as many 'outside' events as possible, paying staff as little as possible and slashing all operational expenses to bottom dollar.  ClubCorp is a business and they operate lean - understandable.  

I hear ClubCorp was recently purchased by an private equity firm.  This can only mean all the ClubCorp clubs are going to further exceed prior limits on memberships and will spill way past capacity.  I had a friend join a course that was recently acquired by ClubCorp, at the time their membership was at capacity, ClubCorp increased the capacity and then within months they lost their longtime superintendent.  Now a year later I hear the course is struggling to keep up with member play and the condition of the course is declining for the first time in decades.

If you join a ClubCorp course it won't be horrible.  You will get a good deal, but you should keep in mind it is an organization that operates like a middle of the road hotel chain.  Eventually the wallpaper will start to peal off the walls, the carpet will wear down to nothing, the $16 chicken finger dinner basket will become tiny and then non-members will get access to the course as much as your paying membership or more.  Sorry to be bearer of bad news.  I know I can't be correct about every ClubCorp facility but I did experience it firsthand for more than a few years.  Cheers.
Titleist 917D2
Titleist 917F2
Titleist 818H2
Callaway X-Forged
Vokey SM7 52F/56S/60S
Cameron Newport 18'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors