Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Where to move for 2 years to play golf (and work)?


53 replies to this topic

#31 KCCO

KCCO

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
  • Joined: 09/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Palm Beach area being the abundance of course an hour south to Lauderdale, and an hour north to Vero...more than enough courses between those areas and surrounding Palm Beach to play for two years....

Titleist 917 D3   Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2   Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2   Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 monty09

monty09

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137138
  • Joined: 08/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

View Postdavep043, on 08 March 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Its pushing the distance limit just a little, but Pinehurst is pretty dang nice.  About an hour drive to Raleigh, under 2 hours to Charlotte.



100% agree. first place to pop into my head.  You cant beat the golf within 25 miles from Pinehurst

2

#33 T-MAC

T-MAC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220713
  • Joined: 01/09/2013
  • Location:USA
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Palm Beach is the first place that popped into my head after reading your initial post.  Some buddies and I go down for golf just about every year.  Orlando too.
I live in Hilton Head.  Good weather, decent cost of living, plenty of golf, and about 30 minutes from Savannah.

3

#34 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

Save your rent money and live in 4 different cities with the seasons.  Boston in the Summer, NC in the Spring, California in the Fall and Florida in the Winter.

4

#35 mneumann

mneumann

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94024
  • Joined: 09/08/2009
  • Location:Folsom, CA
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:ninerzfan8
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:22 PM

Throwing out Sacramento as an out of the box option. Our public golf is nothing extremely amazing but at least a dozen public courses in the metro are that I would classify as decent to decent plus with a couple gems. Private scene is pretty solid if you make some friends.

We get some late season rain (example:now) but I play 12 months a year no problem. Hit balls today, we will get dumped on the next 3 days, and I'll play Saturday. Last winter we had historic rain and I didn't go 2 weeks without being able to play.

It gets up to the low 100s in the summer occasionally, very playable, or drive 90 minutes up to North Tahoe and play some beautiful public mountain golf.

3-4 hours to Monterey, a couple summer trips down there to get away from the heat , or sf, or napa, lots of ways to cool off a bit and get some golf in.


5

#36 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

View Postmneumann, on 12 March 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Throwing out Sacramento as an out of the box option. Our public golf is nothing extremely amazing but at least a dozen public courses in the metro are that I would classify as decent to decent plus with a couple gems. Private scene is pretty solid if you make some friends.

We get some late season rain (example:now) but I play 12 months a year no problem. Hit balls today, we will get dumped on the next 3 days, and I'll play Saturday. Last winter we had historic rain and I didn't go 2 weeks without being able to play.

It gets up to the low 100s in the summer occasionally, very playable, or drive 90 minutes up to North Tahoe and play some beautiful public mountain golf.

3-4 hours to Monterey, a couple summer trips down there to get away from the heat , or sf, or napa, lots of ways to cool off a bit and get some golf in.

Napa? Mannnnn I don't like you anymore ;)

6

#37 dhrib72

dhrib72

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228093
  • Joined: 02/10/2013
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

+1 for Palm Springs area

7

#38 sdandrea

sdandrea

    Steve

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Joined: 11/14/2010
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA & Hernando FL
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 1254

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

The counties on the west side of Florida and north of the Tampa area have excellent climate and LOW cost of living and golf.  I live in Citrus County and live and play during the fall/winter for nearly half of what is costs me in Virginia.
Cobra Max 10.5*
TM RBZ 5W & 9W
PING Eye 2  4 - W
PING Eye 2+  SW, LW
PING Chipo
PING A Blade

  
"Never buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it"

8

#39 touch

touch

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25409
  • Joined: 02/12/2007
  • Location:Asheville, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 1019

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

View Postlowndes, on 10 March 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Charleston is a great suggestion - one of my favorite cities with some great golf courses.
Another vote for Charleston
Callaway BB Fusion 9* Hzrdus
Callaway XR 3 wood Project x
Ping i20 5 wood Project x
Taylor Made M2 hybrid stock shaft
Taylor Made M1 5-gap recoils
Ping Glide 2.0 sand and lob both ss grind
Taylor Made Ghost Tour DA-62



9

#40 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

I had (and still have) this choice. Ended up moving to Scottsdale and it has been a 20+ year love affair. I actually lived a few other places during that time but have always maintained at least one house in AZ as well. After traveling most of the civilized world (40 countries) thereís no chance Iíd intentionally live anywhere else. There are a few places Iíd accept but most of them are in other countries.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Joined: 01/20/2015
  • Location:SCOTTSDALE, AZ
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

View Postaz2au, on 15 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

I had (and still have) this choice. Ended up moving to Scottsdale and it has been a 20+ year love affair. I actually lived a few other places during that time but have always maintained at least one house in AZ as well. After traveling most of the civilized world (40 countries) thereís no chance Iíd intentionally live anywhere else. There are a few places Iíd accept but most of them are in other countries.

I agree that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in AZ. However, do you think we have that many great golf courses & do you love the desert? I miss the greenery, but love the sunshine. I think we good golf courses but very few greats like NY & SF. Most desert golf tends to be unwalkable, targety & penal. I donít want to be overly negative though. Examples of positives are:

Cost of living
Weather
Great freeways
Easy access to Sedona, California, flag...
Clean
Good airport
Lots of golf

11

#42 dhartmann34

dhartmann34

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51852
  • Joined: 03/20/2008
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:30 AM

Phoenix would be my ideal place. Yes it gets hot in the summer... But nothing a few cold, wet towels, Gatorade and water can't fix. Plus, the rates in the summer are ridiculously cheap!

12

#43 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

View Posttouch, on 15 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postlowndes, on 10 March 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Charleston is a great suggestion - one of my favorite cities with some great golf courses.
Another vote for Charleston

I live in Chas, it's great..... BUT if I hady pick based on golf I probably wouldn't pick here.  Yes, we have the Ocean Course and kiawah, and a few other great lowcountry courses.  However, the everyday golf here is not the best value..mostly overpriced for what it is (especially Mt Pleasant tarra) and mostly Neighborhood development courses.  So unless planting yourself at kiawah is in the budget, I don't know.  May be a little "grass is always greener" syndrome here, I do realize Charleston tops lots of people list for living.  I am grateful to love here for sure.

Edited by hangontight, 17 March 2018 - 07:37 AM.


13

#44 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostBUCKEYERBALL88, on 17 March 2018 - 05:15 AM, said:

View Postaz2au, on 15 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

I had (and still have) this choice. Ended up moving to Scottsdale and it has been a 20+ year love affair. I actually lived a few other places during that time but have always maintained at least one house in AZ as well. After traveling most of the civilized world (40 countries) thereís no chance Iíd intentionally live anywhere else. There are a few places Iíd accept but most of them are in other countries.

I agree that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in AZ. However, do you think we have that many great golf courses & do you love the desert? I miss the greenery, but love the sunshine. I think we good golf courses but very few greats like NY & SF. Most desert golf tends to be unwalkable, targety & penal. I donít want to be overly negative though. Examples of positives are:

Cost of living
Weather
Great freeways
Easy access to Sedona, California, flag...
Clean
Good airport
Lots of golf
I walk >95% of all rounds I play here. Iíve walked plenty of courses that expect you to take a cart as well, e.g. Grayhawk Talon (only allowed in summer or at least that used to be the case, havenít done it in probably 15 years) and Troon North Pinnacle. I donít think the availability of great courses is substantially different than most places. On the public side I think we have a better selection of good courses than almost anywhere in the US. While there may be very little or even zero great public courses I still think the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the minor negative.

Oh and as someone that grew up with greenery everywhere and has owned a house on the ocean let me say that I love the desert. I donít miss any of that stuff for even a second. The beauty of our sunsets and the mountains here is unbelievable.

Edited by az2au, 17 March 2018 - 10:02 AM.


14

#45 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Florida (bur I can't stand the humidity) are some less expensive places to live and play.
I've lived all over west, from San Diego to Seattle/ Olympic Peninsula and SF to Denver/ Colorado Springs. Played alot in WA, but I played alot in the Rain and cold...gets old!
I'm playing more golf in good weather here in Tucson than I have anywhere except San Diego in the 90's and San Francisco area, and the cost of living is much less here!
Never played in the Carolinas, but seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for that area as well as Texas Metro areas.

Edited by RainShadow, 17 March 2018 - 11:19 AM.

GBB Epic 10.5 (11.5) Fuji Pro 62   Back to the speeder 661
XR Steelhead 4+ Tensei Blue
Apex Hybrid  23 & 26 Kuro Kage
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105 stiff
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and 58 X grinds
Bettinardi BB1/ Betti SS#8 / 2016 Bettinardi Tiki / MXM Versa #1
Chrome Soft / FG Tour / Tour B XS / KSig.

15

#46 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Joined: 01/20/2015
  • Location:SCOTTSDALE, AZ
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

View Postaz2au, on 17 March 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostBUCKEYERBALL88, on 17 March 2018 - 05:15 AM, said:

View Postaz2au, on 15 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

I had (and still have) this choice. Ended up moving to Scottsdale and it has been a 20+ year love affair. I actually lived a few other places during that time but have always maintained at least one house in AZ as well. After traveling most of the civilized world (40 countries) thereís no chance Iíd intentionally live anywhere else. There are a few places Iíd accept but most of them are in other countries.

I agree that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in AZ. However, do you think we have that many great golf courses & do you love the desert? I miss the greenery, but love the sunshine. I think we good golf courses but very few greats like NY & SF. Most desert golf tends to be unwalkable, targety & penal. I donít want to be overly negative though. Examples of positives are:

Cost of living
Weather
Great freeways
Easy access to Sedona, California, flag...
Clean
Good airport
Lots of golf
I walk >95% of all rounds I play here. Iíve walked plenty of courses that expect you to take a cart as well, e.g. Grayhawk Talon (only allowed in summer or at least that used to be the case, havenít done it in probably 15 years) and Troon North Pinnacle. I donít think the availability of great courses is substantially different than most places. On the public side I think we have a better selection of good courses than almost anywhere in the US. While there may be very little or even zero great public courses I still think the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the minor negative.

Oh and as someone that grew up with greenery everywhere and has owned a house on the ocean let me say that I love the desert. I donít miss any of that stuff for even a second. The beauty of our sunsets and the mountains here is unbelievable.

Well said

16

#47 jigglelow

jigglelow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481164
  • Joined: 09/05/2017
  • Location:Bend, OR
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

FYI, Palm Springs isn't within 30-45 minutes of a major metro. If you don't mind snow, my suggestion is Salt Lake City. It's a young, outdoorsy, fun place with TONS to do besides golf.

Golf wise, there are a ton of great public courses in the area. And super cheap. Weather is great in the late spring, summer, and early fall. If it gets hot, mountain courses are nearby. Cost of living is low.

Biggest drawback is lack of nightlife, if you care about that, and the whole winter thing.

17

#48 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Joined: 05/28/2008
  • Location:Scottsdale Az
GolfWRX Likes : 4191

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

View Postfore_life, on 10 March 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

Lol phoenix too cold in the winter? FYI the High here today will be 80 and overcast. Currently 60* at 730Am

Counterpoint :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Posted Image
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

18

#49 touch

touch

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25409
  • Joined: 02/12/2007
  • Location:Asheville, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 1019

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

Could someone tell me about golf in Austin, TX.?
Not country clubs, but semi private and public daily fee please.
Callaway BB Fusion 9* Hzrdus
Callaway XR 3 wood Project x
Ping i20 5 wood Project x
Taylor Made M2 hybrid stock shaft
Taylor Made M1 5-gap recoils
Ping Glide 2.0 sand and lob both ss grind
Taylor Made Ghost Tour DA-62



19

#50 toothysaw2

toothysaw2

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417746
  • Joined: 03/28/2016
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:7ish
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:16 AM

View Posttouch, on 21 March 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Could someone tell me about golf in Austin, TX.?
Not country clubs, but semi private and public daily fee please.

Iíve lived half my life in San Antonio and half in Austin.  Been in Austin for 18 years and played just about everywhere (public and some private).

I would say it is underwhelming.  There are 2-3 public courses that are very good, another 5-6 that are ok, and a handful of serviceable places. There are no public courses I would consider great in the context of say Torrey Pines or Bethpage or even something like We-Ko-Pa in AZ.  A couple of the muny courses (Lions and Mo Willy) have some pretty great history and they are excellent layouts, but are not maintained like premier courses.

Conditions in the summer tend to be pretty poor as not many courses have the resources to water sufficiently.

San Antonio has a lot more courses and quite a few quality ones. There are a handful between Austin and SA as well.

If I was picking a city in Texas to live in based solely on golf, itíd be SA or Dallas.  But based on pretty much any other factor Iíd pick Austin.  Youíre not gonna struggle to find a good round of golf, but I donít think itís a great golf destination.

Ping G - 10.5*, Tour R
Ping G - 14.5*, Tour S
Titleist 915h - 21*, Diamana White S
Mizuno MP-5, 4-PW, ProjectX 5.5
Vokey SM6, 50* (F), 54* (S), 58* (M)
Scotty Studio Select Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 defnotapro

defnotapro

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Joined: 02/22/2016
  • Location:TX
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

I agree with toothy. Austin Publics are underwhelming unless you are playing at Barton Creek Resort. Wolfdancer would be my favorite public course but it's not high on my list of favorites. On the other hand, I love golf in San Antonio. On another note I do have a trip planned to Austin to play golf but will be playing some private courses.

21

#52 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

Glad to be from Massachusetts and not still there. Iíve been living near Raleigh since Ď92. You can play all year. Winters are beautiful here, Spring is long and absurdly beautiful, Fall is not the stunner here that it is in NE, but itís still nice and it lasts longer than Columbus Day weekend. Summer is hilariously hot and humid (which I donít really mind), but well maintained courses are in fantastic shape in Summer.

22

#53 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

A big factor for summer IMO is mosquitos!!!!!  Hate those damn things.

23

#54 Ballgofarboy

Ballgofarboy

    Old man

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252916
  • Joined: 05/28/2013
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 400

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

Here is an odd question, what job skills do you possess?   The where you go is going to be limited to the skill set, what you need to make to support your life style and playing costs.

Before a location can be given, the skill set must be known.
Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
WITB Link
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors