Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 2 votes

Snell MTB RED - This is my new ball

60 replies to this topic

#1 kjrules

kjrules

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138340
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

Co- workers got me a MTB Red value pack for my birthday, they know I'm an golf nut. So I was excited and also little worried at the same time as I just settled down with Srixon Z stars as my ball for 2018. It just took me two rounds to convience me that this was my new ball in my bag.

Played College golf in early 2000s and I am a scratch Handicap player. SS- 112 to 116 and I am very particular with the golf balls. So here is what I have found and loved when playing with MTB red.

Feel and spin- The ball definitely spins- I think with full shots, it is top tier in spin department. but with pitches and open faced chips very predictable spin hop hip stop. Love Love Love the feel of this ball! The cover looks little shinnier and more inomer type look than the typical cast urathane cover but TPU cover feels softer and rubberier, and it feels as though the cover grabs the grooves little longer and deeper for more spin in partical and full shots. It is soft feeling ball I would describe it AVX mixed with new chrome soft x- Cover feels very similar to AVX but it definitely has more bite like the 18 chrome x.

Durability- cover held up well, I just got new glide stealth wedges and these wedged were destroying my Vice pro plus limes but the ball is very durable and playable after 2 rounds. Although the whilte cover somehow absorbs other color in the materials it strikes against much easily than other tour balls.

Driver- I could shape this ball easily, low, high- fade draw.. Spin was low but not the lowest, when strike normally it had high boring flight like the Srixon XVs and had some monster drives. but I love how this ball is good because I use mostly my Srixon U65 2 UT for most tees and I was getting 250 + yards with them shaping it and hit every fairway in tight fairway in the Coyote Hills in SoCal.

DEAN SNELL you are a true ball guru and this ball I can see that it was designed for particular type of player and giving them the feel, spin and the distance that today's picky golfer desire.

MTB RED is by far the most suprising and pleasing ball that I have played in recent memory

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 thejuice

thejuice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

I am really curious about this ball.  I think I will give it a try this season.
Srixon Z565 9.5* w/HZRDUS Yellow 65
Srixon F65 15* w/HZRDUS Yellow 75
TEE Beta 2H w/RIP Alpha 80x
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 610
EVNROLL ER-2

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

#3 kjrules

kjrules

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

View Postthejuice, on 07 March 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

I am really curious about this ball.  I think I will give it a try this season.
you will not be disappointed

#4 Ace2000

Ace2000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455698
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

I need to try this ball as well. I usually play Z-Star too

#5 PaulCGaffney

PaulCGaffney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488960
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the review. Mine arrived earlier this week. Just need some warmer weather to go try em out

TM 2017 M1 8.5° - Aldila NV Protopype
Callaway XR16 4 Wood
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron
Adams Super 9031 20°
Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Titleist Vokey 54 & 58
Callaway PM Grind 64°
Odessey White Hot XG Rossie -or- Scotty Cameron California Sonoma

#6 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1739

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I played Z Star since 2012 but for Christmas I got a couple boxes of the original MTB.  Let's just say I have no plans on returning to the Z Star anytime soon.  Dean knows how to make a golf ball and I look forward to trying the red.
Cobra F7+ - GD GP 7x
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - GD DI 105x
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Srixon Z-Star (Mostly)

#7 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367933
GolfWRX Likes : 834

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postkjrules, on 07 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Co- workers got me a MTB Red value pack for my birthday, they know I'm an golf nut. So I was excited and also little worried at the same time as I just settled down with Srixon Z stars as my ball for 2018. It just took me two rounds to convience me that this was my new ball in my bag.

Played College golf in early 2000s and I am a scratch Handicap player. SS- 112 to 116 and I am very particular with the golf balls. So here is what I have found and loved when playing with MTB red.

Feel and spin- The ball definitely spins- I think with full shots, it is top tier in spin department. but with pitches and open faced chips very predictable spin hop hip stop. Love Love Love the feel of this ball! The cover looks little shinnier and more inomer type look than the typical cast urathane cover but TPU cover feels softer and rubberier, and it feels as though the cover grabs the grooves little longer and deeper for more spin in partical and full shots. It is soft feeling ball I would describe it AVX mixed with new chrome soft x- Cover feels very similar to AVX but it definitely has more bite like the 18 chrome x.

Durability- cover held up well, I just got new glide stealth wedges and these wedged were destroying my Vice pro plus limes but the ball is very durable and playable after 2 rounds. Although the whilte cover somehow absorbs other color in the materials it strikes against much easily than other tour balls.

Driver- I could shape this ball easily, low, high- fade draw.. Spin was low but not the lowest, when strike normally it had high boring flight like the Srixon XVs and had some monster drives. but I love how this ball is good because I use mostly my Srixon U65 2 UT for most tees and I was getting 250 + yards with them shaping it and hit every fairway in tight fairway in the Coyote Hills in SoCal.

DEAN SNELL you are a true ball guru and this ball I can see that it was designed for particular type of player and giving them the feel, spin and the distance that today's picky golfer desire.

MTB RED is by far the most suprising and pleasing ball that I have played in recent memory
Thanks for the kind words and feedback on the ball.. Glad you like the performance and best of luck this golf season..

#8 freedom35

freedom35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64701
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

I played the RED for the first time on Wednesday in Sun City West, AZ (love that my parents winter here).  I'm a good Canadian boy, so I had the balls shipped to my parents' house for when I would be here.

The course I played was in good shape, with hard, fast greens.  Weather was ideal - high 70s and little wind.  I'm not as fast as the OP - ball speed off the driver is low to mid 150s.  I'm also a high launch, low spin player.  I present about 34* dynamic loft with my 35* 7-iron, so I don't have the handle leaning enough ahead of the ball to create lots of spin.

Anyway, the ball just does as its told.  It spun when I wanted it to spin.  It released when I wanted it to release.  I found it to be pretty straight off the tee, but I did have a really solid driving round.  No issues with distance, either with drivers going short, or irons taking off.  Feel around the green was just right.

For the past few years, I played the Nike RZN Platinum and likely would have continued if they hadn't stopped making them.  However, I'll be playing the Snell RED for now on.  It really is a great ball.

#9 TNGolfer8

TNGolfer8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40939
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the Red.  I've played the black for the past two years, and I'm playing the Red for the first time this weekend.  

I did some short game work with it last weekend, and it does stop really well.  I look forward to using it today and tomorrow.
Driver-Wishon 919thi
3W- Wishon 949mc
5W-Wishon 949mc
25* Maltby Tour Hybrid
5-GW- Maltby TE Forged
SW- Ping Glide 2.0 56*
Lw- Pind Glide 2.0 60*
Maltby Pure Track Tour Milled Blade Putter
Ball- Snell MTB

Also frequently used-
Maltby UFW 7W
Maltby Tour Grind MG Wedge, 56* & 60*
Wishon Micro Groove HM Wedges, 56* & 60*

#10 5yddraw

5yddraw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226369
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Did you try the black or just the red?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 freedom35

freedom35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64701
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

View Post5yddraw, on 09 March 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Did you try the black or just the red?

I just tried the RED.  I always prefer the higher spinning of a company's range.  After playing it, I see no reason to try the BLACK.

#12 flushem

flushem

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

View Postkjrules, on 07 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Good to find Snell loving local.  LMK how well Red plays at Black Gold, my home course.

#13 Drewhill44

Drewhill44

Drewhill44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407438
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:Drewgolf44
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Nice review of the new MTB Red.  Thanks!  I have a similar SS as you and I just got a trial pack of the new Red and Black this week.  So far just been able to putt with it around the house(Waiting for the snow to melt) and it feels good off the putter.  Very much looking forward to use this ball on the course.
Titleist 915D2(9.25) Diamana Whiteboard 70X
Cobra Fly Z+ 3-wood 14.5 Diamana Whiteboard 70X
Cobra Fly Z+ 5 wood 17.5 Diamana Whiteboard 70X
Titleist 915Hd (17.5) Diamana Whiteboard 100X
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-taper 130X
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 60 DG Tour Issue X100
Scotty Cameron GOLO #7 Dual Balance

#14 monks66

monks66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465294
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

for those who have played the red, do you think it could hurt someone who isnt the most consistent with driver and hybrids, as far as the spin? i have two dozen blacks, and i feel this is a better ball for a mid handi, again as far as straighter off tee and hybrids...thoughts?

#15 Quasimoto

Quasimoto

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104401
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

Hi Dean Snell,

I went to the Snell Canada site but there are no references to the 2018 line of golf balls.
Is this just an updating issue or is it necessary to order the new MTB Red from the US?

Thanks

Srixon 765 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala
Callaway Epic SZ 3+ Hzrdus
Callaway 3-6 Steelhead Hybrids Matrix F 15
Mizuno 7-P JPX900 Forged Nippon VPro 90
Bridgestone J-15 58 & 52 DG Spinner
Evenroll #5
TM TP5X

#16 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

View PostQuasimoto, on 11 March 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

Hi Dean Snell,

I went to the Snell Canada site but there are no references to the 2018 line of golf balls.
Is this just an updating issue or is it necessary to order the new MTB Red from the US?

Thanks
Hello
Canada will be carrying the new balls alittle later than the US... I am not sure of the exact month yet there order is in place and will be shipping to them soon... once we have the exact date and plan from team Canada, I can update you...

#17 BY#99

BY#99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449482
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Just got my test pack a few days ago but unfortunately I am covered in snow still. Putted and chipped with both and I think i like the Black better- to me seems softer. The Red was not hard by any imagination just thought the Black was softer. Cover are definately different looking which for me is a non-issue. Looking forward to getting these out in the course soon to see which works better for me.

#18 Quasimoto

Quasimoto

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104401
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostSnell Golf, on 12 March 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

View PostQuasimoto, on 11 March 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

Hi Dean Snell,

Thanks
Hello
Canada will be carrying the new balls alittle later than the US... I am not sure of the exact month yet there order is in place and will be shipping to them soon... once we have the exact date and plan from team Canada, I can update you...

I will appreciate that Dean Thank you
Srixon 765 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala
Callaway Epic SZ 3+ Hzrdus
Callaway 3-6 Steelhead Hybrids Matrix F 15
Mizuno 7-P JPX900 Forged Nippon VPro 90
Bridgestone J-15 58 & 52 DG Spinner
Evenroll #5
TM TP5X

#19 DFinch

DFinch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

My sample pack gets here Friday. Unfortunately we're still in "ball lost plugged in the fairway" conditions at many courses here, and I've been ripping ProV1x's and MTB's off very receptive greens, so it could be awhile before I put these in play.

If greenside spin is the same, I'm not sure the Red will end up beating the Black for me. It might spin too much on short irons and wedges for my game. If it does check more around the green, it will be a tougher decision. First, things need to firm up around here in the sloppy PNW.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9*
Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*
Maltby PTM (black) 4-GW
Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
PING Sigma G Anser
Snell MTB

#20 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1021

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

MTB Red in Yellow - played it a couple of times and my 3 partners thought I was a short game guru with the spin it produces on the green. I don't spin the ball back but ball came in on 50 yrd or less pitches, hit, stayed low, and stopped after a couple of feet. I had to rely on their comments because I was in poor positions - lol - far below the green a couple of times. On a couple of short pitches around the green, I can now be more aggressive because I get a hit and stop after two feet. I am not accustomed to this stoppage. Same with 100 yrd approaches, hit, spin, stop.

WIth driver - ball go far - equal to any best ball out there for me.

Ball Shine - I judge this outside - it is not as shiney as the new CS Yellow - it was fine. Off the putter, you get more sound/feedback than the new CS - I can go with both.

Great job, Dean. Thx.

"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

In the Bag: Ping G400/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4wd/GD AD F55, 7 wd/GD YS-6 Nano ● Rogue 21HY GD ADHY 75 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS, Snell MTB; Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

My next round will be with this ball. Just got my sampler pack and played the black for the first time Sunday. Really liked the ball. The only flaw was my swing - haha. Will try the red next and I bet it will be fun. I'm guessing they'll be the same off the tee(?). I hit the black pretty far/well with my mid-long irons. It really went, even from the rough. We'll see if I can walk the red back...

#22 mmowen01

mmowen01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131531
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:mmowen01
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

How has the durability of the Red been?

I have a test pack and played 15 holes with the same Black ball. After a few holes I noticed the red part of the Snell logo had smudged almost gone. From looks only I believe the Red will be the better ball durability wise. I tried a Red ball on the other 3 holes of the round but couldn’t get past the “clickyness” to play if further. After reading this and other posts the Red’s will be getting a second go.

For reference I have played the ChromeSoft the last 2 seasons.

Edited by mmowen01, 21 March 2018 - 11:26 PM.

#23 Stanks

Stanks

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

The more I read, the more I like. Excited to give these a whirl in the coming weeks.
Taylormade M3 10.5 / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 65 gram
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
PXG 0311T 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55* & PM Grind 60*.
Oydssey O-Works #9

#24 kjrules

kjrules

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

I playing partner is a former teaching pro and asked what I was playing, cause I was shaping the ball better and my approaches he saw was always past the hole and pull back on full wedges, repeated.. I told him Snell and threw him a ball. I think he was intrigued because he likes shaping shots and saw the shaping and control I was getting, with his irons he was that drew little more abd that faded nicely and than he hit the drive of fhe day with it, he was like wow, what he told me was that it reminded him of old Nike one platinum on spin with current pro VX distance and trajectory. He told me where to get it and I explained the whole story about Snell and he ordered Value pack on his phone when we were riding on the course. He threw me his sleeve of VX and took my Reds.. I didn’t say anything because he was gonna buy the beers after the round cause I was taking him to school like a bus driver!

#25 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

View Postkjrules, on 21 March 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

I playing partner is a former teaching pro and asked what I was playing, cause I was shaping the ball better and my approaches he saw was always past the hole and pull back on full wedges, repeated.. I told him Snell and threw him a ball. I think he was intrigued because he likes shaping shots and saw the shaping and control I was getting, with his irons he was that drew little more abd that faded nicely and than he hit the drive of fhe day with it, he was like wow, what he told me was that it reminded him of old Nike one platinum on spin with current pro VX distance and trajectory. He told me where to get it and I explained the whole story about Snell and he ordered Value pack on his phone when we were riding on the course. He threw me his sleeve of VX and took my Reds.. I didn't say anything because he was gonna buy the beers after the round cause I was taking him to school like a bus driver!
Great story, and thanks for the info.  Glad to hear the performance is fitting your game.. best of luck this season..

#26 emechling

emechling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126376
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

This is what makes golf great.  All about feeling confident.  I too was very interested in trying the new Snell line.  One of my golfing buddies got on the Snell Bus about 2 years ago and gave me the original MTB and I was impressed.  I am a Prov1 guy and really have been for about 14 years.  So I ordered the trial dozen Black/Red.  One thing I thought was painful was the delivery timing (I get that NE got about 6 feet of snow over the past few weeks) but I ordered on the 9th and they were not delivered until the 20th.  

Played yesterday, in Iowa, so conditions are not great yet but I was 100% the opposite of the OP.  The MTB Black seemed to be something VERY Special.  I had every bit of confidence with it as I did a Prov1 and the feel was almost exactly the same.  Played a few holes with the MTB Red and just had a completely different feeling.  The Cover didn't look, sound or feel like a urethane cover.  I have always been a feel player, so this was quite a turn off.  I think it is a quality ball cause it wasn't like it didn't perform but I cannot get over the feel of it.

I am happy to see that the MTB Red has some fans as the Snell story is really cool and wish nothing but success for a company like that!  However the Red is not what I would want in a golf ball.

The Black IS every bit as good as a ProV1!
Titleist 913 D3 8.5* NV 75 X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Rouge Black MSI 95 80 X
Titleist 710 MB 3-PW S400
Titleist Vokey SM4 (54, 60, 64)
Cameron GoLo s5
@EMechling #poundtown

#27 1Mordrid1

1Mordrid1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494342
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

View Postmonks66, on 10 March 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

for those who have played the red, do you think it could hurt someone who isnt the most consistent with driver and hybrids, as far as the spin? i have two dozen blacks, and i feel this is a better ball for a mid handi, again as far as straighter off tee and hybrids...thoughts?

For me it was not as forgiving on the bad driver swings, but also not as penalizing as some other higher spin balls. I guess it depends on how inconsistent your driver is. IMO if you are not a consistent ball striker in the short game, a ball that spins as much as the red can actually hurt more than it helps. One of my buddies tried the red and loved the spin off full iron shots but with his wedges he is not consistent so he got varying levels of spin around the green. He had a couple of hop and stop chips when he was expecting it to release a little. He games the MTB Black normally and he said he is sticking to it.
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60
Taylormade R15 3 wood w/ Kurocage 60 tini s
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #2 & #4 hybrids w/ H Diamana s
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-aw irons w/ xp95 st15
Callaway Mack Daddy pm grind 56 /KBS Tour V
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 60 c-grind 8° bounce/KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
Team Effort Collegiate TCU bag
QStar Tour

#28 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49206
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

Played the MTB Reds today, first time with them.  Unfortunately it was quite windy and cold today as well.
Ball felt great off the clubs.  I found it to hold its line quite well off the driver or irons, as good as my normal ball (Chrome Soft).
Putting, it felt very good - a bit firmer than Chrome Soft but not too firm.  I like it as a putting ball, I find distance control easier with this than the Chrome.
On drives, it was normal distance and direction for me (considering I was not driving it that great today and poor weather)

Where I really struggled was distances with short irons (8-9-P-A).   I came up well short many times today, now the wind could have been more of a factor than normal but I hit some really well and was a club short.  I don't consider myself a high spin player either.  I never suck it back.   I am an average golfer but know my distances very well - same irons for the last 6 years.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but I don't think this marriage will last.
LEFT IS RIGHT
Driver (9.5) - Titleist 910D3 Ozik Matrix X-Con6 R
Wood (15) - Titleist 913F
Wood (17) - Titleist 910F
Hybrid (21) - Exotics XCG
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
(on order) Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 Black Satin / 50.10 / 54.08 / 58.06 DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB Red

#29 mileslong

mileslong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157401
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

View Postmonkeyboy, on 22 March 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

Played the MTB Reds today, first time with them.  Unfortunately it was quite windy and cold today as well.
Ball felt great off the clubs.  I found it to hold its line quite well off the driver or irons, as good as my normal ball (Chrome Soft).
Putting, it felt very good - a bit firmer than Chrome Soft but not too firm.  I like it as a putting ball, I find distance control easier with this than the Chrome.
On drives, it was normal distance and direction for me (considering I was not driving it that great today and poor weather)

Where I really struggled was distances with short irons (8-9-P-A).   I came up well short many times today, now the wind could have been more of a factor than normal but I hit some really well and was a club short.  I don't consider myself a high spin player either.  I never suck it back.   I am an average golfer but know my distances very well - same irons for the last 6 years.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but I don't think this marriage will last.

I'm guessing the cold/wind had more of a factor on loss of distance, I'm playing the same distances with the red that I played with the MTB.
Ping G400 10 LST Kuro Kage DC 60TX
Cobra F6 3-4 elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra F6 Baffler elements Chrome 7F4
Ping Ie1 4-GW KBS Tour
Ping Glide 2 Stealth 54 and 58 KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

#30 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

I am about ready to try the Red because I need Yellow.  Been playing the Chrome Soft so I should be able to handle this ball.

• Driver: ___  Ping G400 Max
  • Woods: ___ Ping G30 3 wood
  • Hybrid: ___ Titleist 818H1 (21* & 25*)
  • Irons: ____  Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
  • Wedges: __ Titleist Vokey SM6 52/F, 56/M, 60/K
  • Putter: ____ Rife Mid Mallet 400
  • Ball: ______ Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow & Snell MTB Red Yellow
  • Bag: ______ Datrek Lite Rider
  • GPS: _____ Bushnell NEO Ghost
  • GHIN: ____  HCP floats between 10 and 12
“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors