Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Private club walking/trail fee?

Walking club fees

120 replies to this topic

#61 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 1033

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostLoveG, on 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

One of the biggest rifts at my club is the tennis vs golf conundrum.  Golf by far crushes tennis by importance and income, yet the tennis players pay no fee other than their dues to use the courts.  Certainly doesn't seem fair to pay for play at all times for golf if there is a walking fee vs free to use tennis courts.

Assuming that the dues are the same for a golf player and a tennis player...the golfers should take the money and run. The operating costs of the tennis courts are - almost certainly - less than the annual cost of maintaining a single golf green.

While I agree mostly with what you're saying, Raynor, the cost of resurfacing tennis courts is far greater than most would anticipate.  I sit on the Board of Directors for the city Recreation Department where I live and have also designed several athletic facilities professionally over the years.  In my tenure on the Board of Directors, we have resurfaced our 8-court tennis facility twice.  The rubberized cushion poured on top of asphalt or concrete is extremely expensive and doesn't last as long as one might think.

Much like "fieldturf" football fields, the chemical compounds are broken down by direct sunlight much more quickly than the sales professionals would lead you to believe. Which is why warranty's are generally 25% of what they claim the life expectancy to be.  Our tennis courts cost about 18k per court with a typical life expectancy of 4-6 years.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 08 March 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

It all goes back to the board members deciding how best to increase revenue.  I wonder about the monetary impact of a walkers fee.  If there are 10,000 rounds walked at a club in a year, and the fee is $5, that's only $50,000, not a huge part of the income budget for most clubs.  If that same course has 400 members, a dues increase of about $10 per month would raise the same amount of revenue.  Again, if I'm on that board, I think its a much better option to raise overall dues, rather than to single out a specific sub-set of the membership for increased fees.

My guess is that it's often less about money than perceived fairness. Clubs create some weird fees to encourage / discourage member behavior. One of the local clubs here charges a $10 fee to eat in the bar (instead of the dining room).

WHAT?? :WTF:

#63 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1771

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

While I agree mostly with what you're saying, Raynor, the cost of resurfacing tennis courts is far greater than most would anticipate.  I sit on the Board of Directors for the city Recreation Department where I live and have also designed several athletic facilities professionally over the years.  In my tenure on the Board of Directors, we have resurfaced our 8-court tennis facility twice.  The rubberized cushion poured on top of asphalt or concrete is extremely expensive and doesn't last as long as one might think.

Much like "fieldturf" football fields, the chemical compounds are broken down by direct sunlight much more quickly than the sales professionals would lead you to believe. Which is why warranty's are generally 25% of what they claim the life expectancy to be.  Our tennis courts cost about 18k per court with a typical life expectancy of 4-6 years.

Tennis courts aren't free. No question. But $18K per court every 4 - 6 years is a pimple on the behind of the millions of dollars spent to maintain the golf course over the same period.

#64 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

View Postschley, on 08 March 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 08 March 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

It all goes back to the board members deciding how best to increase revenue.  I wonder about the monetary impact of a walkers fee.  If there are 10,000 rounds walked at a club in a year, and the fee is $5, that's only $50,000, not a huge part of the income budget for most clubs.  If that same course has 400 members, a dues increase of about $10 per month would raise the same amount of revenue.  Again, if I'm on that board, I think its a much better option to raise overall dues, rather than to single out a specific sub-set of the membership for increased fees.

My guess is that it's often less about money than perceived fairness. Clubs create some weird fees to encourage / discourage member behavior. One of the local clubs here charges a $10 fee to eat in the bar (instead of the dining room).

WHAT?? :WTF:

Private clubs are like what my Daddy told me about judging other peopleís marriage relationships. Unless you are in bed between them every night youíve no idea how their stuff is worked out. No idea.

Edited by North Butte, 08 March 2018 - 03:05 PM.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#65 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Tennis courts aren't free. No question. But $18K per court every 4 - 6 years is a pimple on the behind of the millions of dollars spent to maintain the golf course over the same period.

I agree.  But tennis revenue is also a "pimple on the behind" of golf revenue for any club!  Tennis revenue from membership dues isn't free money as you suggested earlier.

#66 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

I agree.  But tennis revenue is also a "pimple on the behind" of golf revenue for any club!  Tennis revenue from membership dues isn't free money as you suggested earlier.

Every club is different. All things being equal, a member who plays only tennis is more profitable than one who plays only golf (assuming they pay the same dues).

#67 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 724

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 08 March 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

And if two bucks showed up on your bill for walking those 3-4 holes you'd quit?

It seems a fine line between being willing to spend (in my case) about $7,000 a year for my membership but not being willing to pay $7,300 for membership plus walking fees. I just can't titrate the value of golf quite that finely.

I seriously doubt we would be talking about two bucks!

It's less about the money and more about how I want my club run. I don't want to be a member at a club that adds surcharges for every little thing. Plus the requirement for a walking fee during non-peak times would have me seriously concerned about the financial viability of my club.

In my mind, there is also a big difference between the use of a trail fee to discourage walking at peak times, and the use of a trail fee to generate revenue. I just haven't seen too many private clubs where a trail fee would generate enough of a revenue stream to really have a big impact on the bottom line and thus be worth the bad will it would generate.
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

#68 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Every club is different. All things being equal, a member who plays only tennis is more profitable than one who plays only golf (assuming they pay the same dues).

I guess I'm used to my stock-ownership club that isn't in the business to make a profit.  If I were a tennis player, i couldn't fathom paying country club membership dues when our local recreation center has state of the art tennis courts for $35 a month.

As others have said, it's what you're used to I guess.  My club only offers golf (and all typical golf related amenities) and swimming.

#69 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

I guess I'm used to my stock-ownership club that isn't in the business to make a profit.  If I were a tennis player, i couldn't fathom paying country club membership dues when our local recreation center has state of the art tennis courts for $35 a month.

As others have said, it's what you're used to I guess.  My club only offers golf (and all typical golf related amenities) and swimming.

Profit isn't quite the right word, as, to your point, we're not in it to make a profit.

I know it seems strange on GolfWRX, but in a full-service country club world, you can have quite a lot of members who pay full freight and don't play golf. We have hundreds of members who just play tennis, use the clubhouse, etc.

#70 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 March 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 08 March 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Profit isn't quite the right word, as, to your point, we're not in it to make a profit.

I know it seems strange on GolfWRX, but in a full-service country club world, you can have quite a lot of members who pay full freight and don't play golf. We have hundreds of members who just play tennis, use the clubhouse, etc.

I get that.  I never wanted to be a part of a "full service" club environment.  I've been a member of two clubs in my life.  One in my previous city was a "golf club" and offered nothing but golf and swimming.  My current club in my current city is a "country club" in title only and offers only golf and swimming.  But we are loaded with sticks.  One-half of the 2015 USGA four-ball final at Olympic Club are members of my club.  We also have several members who have competed, and won, many VSGA events.  I know that's only a state golf association but don't knock it until you read through the list of past champions of some of these events.

Most clubs in my region fall into two categories, higher end privates and lower end daily fees.  The higher end privates are similar to what I imagine you are describing.  Higher end "social" and "networking" full service environments with dining and many, many other amenities.  I imagine a higher percentage of the membership isn't there for the competition.  They are there for the social status and networking capabilities.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Truman

Truman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119361
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 08 March 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

Our club (fully private) has instituted a walking trail fee for 2018.  It will be on weekends only and the fee is $12.  I am on the Board, so I'll explain the rationale.

We are one of the few clubs without a caddy program that has always allowed walking on weekends, including mornings.  We also allow push/pull carts which are prohibited at many/most private clubs in NJ.  In recent years, there has been a significant increase in members using push carts; so much so that we began charging a storage fee for them if they choose to leave them in the cart barn.

Crunching the numbers we realized that the club loses significant revenue to walkers and the losses have been increasing year over year.  Cart revenue provides much needed cash flow in-season.

We also recognize the health benefits of walking and did not want to take that option away from our members.  The agreed upon remedy was to charge a walking fee.  Our full 18 hole cart fee is $28, the new walking fee is $12.  We expect that some members who would otherwise walk may now opt to ride for the additional $16.

An additional point discussed was pace of play.  There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking.  That said, in my personal experience over many years I don't think it makes a substantive difference overall.  I've seen fast playing walkers and slow playing riders, so as long as neither is holding up the course I think pace is a non-issue as it relates to this discussion.
I like this option better than the places who have adapted the policy of no walkers on weekends.  Seems like a good compromise.

#72 4Par

4Par

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125860
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

ďAllowĒ you to walk.... my gosh......

Iíd sooner travel to Ireland or Scotland for a month every year to play golf and walk til my legs fell off on courses that actually WANT me to enjoy their grounds than Pay one nickel to walk a course here.... Iíd fill in my time here in the States by using driving ranges and putting greens to prepare for next yearís trip.... and fish, Iíd probably fish a little too.

#73 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Our club (fully private) has instituted a walking trail fee for 2018.  It will be on weekends only and the fee is $12.  I am on the Board, so I'll explain the rationale.

We are one of the few clubs without a caddy program that has always allowed walking on weekends, including mornings.  We also allow push/pull carts which are prohibited at many/most private clubs in NJ.  In recent years, there has been a significant increase in members using push carts; so much so that we began charging a storage fee for them if they choose to leave them in the cart barn.

Crunching the numbers we realized that the club loses significant revenue to walkers and the losses have been increasing year over year.  Cart revenue provides much needed cash flow in-season.

We also recognize the health benefits of walking and did not want to take that option away from our members.  The agreed upon remedy was to charge a walking fee.  Our full 18 hole cart fee is $28, the new walking fee is $12.  We expect that some members who would otherwise walk may now opt to ride for the additional $16.

An additional point discussed was pace of play.  There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking.  That said, in my personal experience over many years I don't think it makes a substantive difference overall.  I've seen fast playing walkers and slow playing riders, so as long as neither is holding up the course I think pace is a non-issue as it relates to this discussion.

So the question is why not just raise the dues?   The members own the course.  Obviously they put a value on walking, as they should.  Hell, we ALL should. So bump the dues and stop with the nickel and dimming.

#74 NorthernHills

NorthernHills

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434008
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

View PostLoveG, on 08 March 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

View PostNorthernHills, on 08 March 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

Maybe I've not been a member at the right clubs, but being from the UK a lot of this feels completely foreign/bizarre to me. I've never come across a fee for walking or for using your own push trolley. Only for using carts (buggies) if you decide you want one! I think there would be an absolute riot at the clubs I've been a member at if someone tried to introduce an additional fee for members to walk the course!

What kind of other services would most UK courses provide?  Given we have tennis, pools, dining in addition to golf there is a lot more overhead to deal with.  I know a lot of golf clubs in UK are golf only right?

That's a fair challenge, I've been a member of two types. One which is golf only, membership gets you as much golf as you can play, plus entry into all club tournaments and clubhouse facilities. (Locker, Changing rooms, showers, snooker/pool etc). Everything else is additional per time you use it (Carts, Range Balls, food, drinks etc). Second is more of a country club set-up where membership additionally gets you access to a swimming pool, tennis, gym, squash courts etc. Probably 40% more from a cost perspective. However neither charge or mandate carts, you just pay for one if you want one that day (Say $20).

#75 scottaz

scottaz

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
GolfWRX Likes : 957

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

We have a great walking course. And a lot of our members, myself included, enjoy walking most of our rounds. Not long ago this discussion came up and it got a little heated. The issue in our case was we weren't generating enough revenue for the maintenance of or buying new carts. Our cart fee is pretty low, about $13 per round. So the argument was those who cart didn't want to pay more and those who walk didn't want to pay to do so.    

When the walking fee got shot down, a $20 assessment fee per month was added, which I was fine with.

Ping G400 LST 8.5 TPT 14 proto
Callaway Rouge 17* hybrid Fuji 115 tour spec x-flex
Callaway Apex 20 Fuji 115i tour spec x-flex
Ping i200 Fuji 115i tour spec x-flex
Vokey 50*, 55* DG TI S400
TM Hi Toe 64* DG TI S400
Piretti Cortino 2
Srixon 2017 xv's

#76 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2949

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostHackerDave, on 08 March 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

So the question is why not just raise the dues?   The members own the course.  Obviously they put a value on walking, as they should.  Hell, we ALL should. So bump the dues and stop with the nickel and dimming.
In our case we are a "for profit" club owned by a small group of investors, so not member-owned.  I am on the Advisory BOD so our influence is limited.  This will be the 5th year these guys have owned the club and they have not turned a profit yet, barely breaking even the psst 2 years.

So, part of the decision is to discourage walking on weekend mornings by those who only do so to avoid the cart fees.  We're hoping these players will now just decide to ride. Should also note that we are probably the only private club in NJ without a caddy program that allows walking on weekend mornings.

I agree about the nickel & dime stuff, it's silly.  The locker fee really annoys me; do we really want people to decline this option and change shoes on their bumper in the parking lot?  Dues increases are a sensitive subject though...
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#77 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 09 March 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostHackerDave, on 08 March 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

In our case we are a "for profit" club owned by a small group of investors, so not member-owned.  I am on the Advisory BOD so our influence is limited.  This will be the 5th year these guys have owned the club and they have not turned a profit yet, barely breaking even the psst 2 years.

So, part of the decision is to discourage walking on weekend mornings by those who only do so to avoid the cart fees.  We're hoping these players will now just decide to ride. Should also note that we are probably the only private club in NJ without a caddy program that allows walking on weekend mornings.

I agree about the nickel & dime stuff, it's silly.  The locker fee really annoys me; do we really want people to decline this option and change shoes on their bumper in the parking lot?  Dues increases are a sensitive subject though...
  Well said... you can't keep everyone happy and your capacities are strictly that advisory.

#78 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3276

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

View Postbazinky, on 08 March 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

It seems a fine line between being willing to spend (in my case) about $7,000 a year for my membership but not being willing to pay $7,300 for membership plus walking fees. I just can't titrate the value of golf quite that finely.

It's less about the money and more about how I want my club run. I don't want to be a member at a club that adds surcharges for every little thing. Plus the requirement for a walking fee during non-peak times would have me seriously concerned about the financial viability of my club.

In my mind, there is also a big difference between the use of a trail fee to discourage walking at peak times, and the use of a trail fee to generate revenue. I just haven't seen too many private clubs where a trail fee would generate enough of a revenue stream to really have a big impact on the bottom line and thus be worth the bad will it would generate.
At our little club, there are two or three ways to walk a few holes late in the day.  If I had a thought and ran out to play the three hole loop, I would be pissed if I then got a bill for five dollars.  If the club is operating so close to the edge that a walking fee is needed, then something else needs to be done.

#79 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

And I'd counter if I were so close to quitting that I'd rather quit that be charged a $5 fee for a less-than-nine hole round, it's probably better that I go ahead and quit and move on.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#80 jflores8

jflores8

Houston GolfWRX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133905
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

I find this topic interesting.  I joined a club back in November 2015 and was surprised that we are charged a walking fee of $1.50/$3.00, and are not allowed to use out own push cart.  I thought this was ridiculous and have sent emails to Board President, GM, Club Pro and finally got it discussed at the most recent Board meeting.  Unfortunately the board decided to keep it, however, changes did come from it, the golf course have walking paths with make the course look better IMO.

Also it was brought to the attention that the funds from walking, $2 from cart fee, $1.50 from push cart fee all go to one pot to fund projects around the golf course.  Furthermore this walking fee has been in place a long time, and there has been no assessment in over 15 years.  It is hard to swallow but I can accept for now.  However, if I want to play only 2-3 holes I just grab cart go practice on back range and then go play 2-3 holes as you can access the golf course from the back range.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 nix

nix

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 833

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

"There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking"

Is there no doubt about that?

#82 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

View Postnix, on 09 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

"There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking"

I was going to pick at that...but it depends on the course. If you've got a lot of distance between greens and the next tees, carts can be quite a lot faster. On the actual field of play? Not so much.

#83 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2949

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 09 March 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

I was going to pick at that...but it depends on the course. If you've got a lot of distance between greens and the next tees, carts can be quite a lot faster. On the actual field of play? Not so much.

I'm all for walking, but I'll tell you what,  I'll ride and you walk and we'll have one bet for time, and the other for score.  Not sure of your abilities or HC, so the score bet can be net.

Note: In my original statement I said 4 players INTENDING to play briskly...meaning all else equal other than carts vs. walking. Ready to hit when it's your turn or even playing ready golf when reasonable.

You really think all else equal walking is as fast as carts?  Our Clubcars are pretty fast...lol!  You must be Usain Bolt!
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#84 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 740

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 09 March 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 09 March 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'm all for walking, but I'll tell you what,  I'll ride and you walk and we'll have one bet for time, and the other for score.  Not sure of your abilities or HC, so the score bet can be net.

Note: In my original statement I said 4 players INTENDING to play briskly...meaning all else equal other than carts vs. walking. Ready to hit when it's your turn or even playing ready golf when reasonable.

You really think all else equal walking is as fast as carts?  Our Clubcars are pretty fast...lol!  You must be Usain Bolt!
Of course 4 fast players on a non-CPO course is faster than the same 4 walking.  I don't think anyone would say otherwise, it is a simple math equation.  The problem is that is isn't the same four players and as someone that walks >95% of all my rounds I spend a lot of freaking time playing through or waiting on people playing in carts.

#85 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 8208

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

It really boils down one simple fact. Some players are fast, some are slow. Regardless of how they get around the course.

Guys that are fast and efficient in a  cart will be the same way walking. They won’t drink around going to every ball etc, they’ll go their ball, get a yardage, pull a club and be ready when it’s their turn.

Guys that are slow will be just the opposite, they won’t even start getting ready until it’s their “turn”.  And then will matter, because they won’t be playing ready golf.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#86 TadWPJ

TadWPJ

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495740
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

View Postfarmer, on 09 March 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Postbazinky, on 08 March 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

At our little club, there are two or three ways to walk a few holes late in the day.  If I had a thought and ran out to play the three hole loop, I would be pissed if I then got a bill for five dollars.  If the club is operating so close to the edge that a walking fee is needed, then something else needs to be done.

Bingo!

#87 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488106
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

OP here...thanks for the discussion.  I really hope we don't start the walking/trail fee.  From what I hear it's not likely and I really think it won't.  It's good to see how other clubs have approached this topic.  I never realized it was such a big topic among private courses.

#88 gr00vetech

gr00vetech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118989
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Be willing to bet those saying they would leave their club over a $2-$5 walking fee are the same guys who drive 20 minutes down the street to save $2 on balls instead of buying them from their Golf Shop and supporting their club lol.

I think a walking fee is a great idea if there is a specific item the money is going to such as club Jr golf, funding a special course project or something along those line. As mentioned, if simply being used as a needed revenue stream your club is already failing.

#89 klebs01

klebs01

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107880
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

View Postgr00vetech, on 12 March 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

Be willing to bet those saying they would leave their club over a $2-$5 walking fee are the same guys who drive 20 minutes down the street to save $2 on balls instead of buying them from their Golf Shop and supporting their club lol.

I think a walking fee is a great idea if there is a specific item the money is going to such as club Jr golf, funding a special course project or something along those line. As mentioned, if simply being used as a needed revenue stream your club is already failing.

I would probably leave and I spend a couple times my dues every month at my club. Itís not necessarily the money but the principal of being charged to walk when Iíve already paid to use the course. I really hat the nickel and diming. Just put it in the dues if the club needs more money. Items with a direct variable cost should be billed (e.g. food) everything else should be included with the dues.

#90 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

View Postklebs01, on 13 March 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

View Postgr00vetech, on 12 March 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

I would probably leave and I spend a couple times my dues every month at my club. It's not necessarily the money but the principal of being charged to walk when I've already paid to use the course. I really hat the nickel and diming. Just put it in the dues if the club needs more money. Items with a direct variable cost should be billed (e.g. food) everything else should be included with the dues.

Including cart fees?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors