Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Private club walking/trail fee?

Walking club fees

119 replies to this topic

#1 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488106
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Hey folks...I looked around and didn't see much on this topic, so forgive me if I start a redundant thread.  I'm a member of a fully private club and it is member owned.  The club has been around since the mid 1940s and is a very friendly walking course.  Currently the only services offered by the club are food, golf, tennis, pool and all the sub services offered within those parameters.  Recently there has been a rumor flying around about starting to charge a fee for walkers.  We've never charged for walking.  Greens fee is included in the membership dues.  We have to pay for the following: Range plan (Which is another ridiculous thing IMO), golf carts (which this price went up a few years ago), bag storage, locker, shoe cleaning, club repairs, etc, but not walking.  I'd say more people ride than walk on average.  

How common are walking fees on fully private clubs?  I'm not familiar with this anywhere else.  We don't have caddies or anything.  Push carts may have a fee but I have my own or just carry my bag.  Currently golf and membership dues basically fund the rest of the club.  There's no fee to play tennis, which irks me if they want to charge a walking fee.  I wish we would find ways to create more value/income with our other services, but I guess it's just easier to "tax" golf since it's the most revenue generating thing at the club outside of dues.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.  Any advice on this?  Also open to other ideas for the club that you see doing well at your places.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 abergervt

abergervt

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251450
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:willistonhockey
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

Never heard of that any where. You should move to another private club.

#3 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

View Postabergervt, on 07 March 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

Never heard of that any where. You should move to another private club.

i'm not sure it's going to happen even still, but i wish there was more options around here without having to drive 30-45 minutes.  this club is across street from my work and 5 minutes from my house!

#4 Crashhays

Crashhays

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258348
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

Iíve never heard of this. If this happened at my club, I would leave the moment it happened.

#5 wingedfoot97

wingedfoot97

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136500
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:13 PM

I have heard of this but the trail fee was $1 to walk, $2 to ride. It was to raise funds over a two year period for cart paths and benches for the course for each hole. They met the goal after about 1.5 years but kept it in place for the full two years so they could raise funds for bathrooms.

I would wait and see how they are going to work it out. It may help upgrade the place without having to raise greens fees a large amount.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

#6 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

I’ve seen it before. The fee was $5 IIRC and it was to make up for cart revenue that was missed. My understanding was that this was a concession at a club where walking was never allowed previously (even though the course was easily walkable) and the. Walking was allowed at any time. I thought it was ridiculous and have rather they just raised dues.

#7 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

View Postwingedfoot97, on 07 March 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

I have heard of this but the trail fee was $1 to walk, $2 to ride. It was to raise funds over a two year period for cart paths and benches for the course for each hole. They met the goal after about 1.5 years but kept it in place for the full two years so they could raise funds for bathrooms.

I would wait and see how they are going to work it out. It may help upgrade the place without having to raise greens fees a large amount.

Fair points.  I would be able to stomach $1 or $2 for walking ...but so many times I'd rather just go walk 3 or 4 holes vs bash range balls after work one day, so my anxiousness stems from that!

#8 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

Interesting topic here. I hadn't heard of this until now.

IMO there would need to be a clear cut plan for the revenue generated from this fee,  or you might see a lot of kickback from the membership. Something along the lines of Wingedfoots comment.

Also some ground rules would need to be established. can a person be charged multiple times in a day? Is it per 18 holes? Because there are a lot of golfers like you at private clubs. Ones that only have time for a few holes at best most nights.

#9 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 527

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

A local club in my area has a walking/trail fee, it's half the powered cart fee and applies prior to 2pm or so. The good news is that unlike some other area clubs, there is no restriction on when you can walk and carry, and you aren't required to take a caddie at any time if you want to walk (they did away with them due to low demand a few years ago).

Personally, without better options, I'd rather pay a $10-$15 fee to carry my bag than $50-$70 for a caddie I don't want or need.

#10 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 5343

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

Just a way to increase revenue.  There is a former private club in my area, that now offers full membership at $89 a year.  Greens fees are reduced for "members."
The last I looked, regular green fees walking for nine holes is $9, and members, $5.

Most courses now list fees which include carts.  It's only natural for walkers to be charged the same or extra for the privilege of walking.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

I have never heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me.  People who ride in carts feel they are subsidizing those that do not.  Kind of silly.  Clubs are always looking for new sources of revenue.  A few years back our club purchased nice push carts for those who like to walk.  We charge a flat fee of $50 a year.  I was fine with that.   A fee for range balls is perfectly acceptable to me, assuming they do a good job or replenishing the stock.  If you are hitting balls from when Clinton was President, I might be upset by it.  

Our club does not allow the battery powered pushcarts as it takes revenue away from cart rentals.  I would love for the pro to sell the darn things and then just charge a reasonable annual fee.  

Frankly I would rather pay a nominal fee ($5) rather than be forced to take a cart.  I know many clubs that require mandatory cart or caddy and that really drives the cost up.

#12 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6136

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Two of the three member owned clubs to which Iíve belonged have such a fee, a few bucks a round.  One of them has done things that way as long as anyone can remember, the other started sometime back in the 90s.

I would prefer everything be rolled into dues but I donít particularly mind paying slightly more if you use the course hundreds of times a year versus someone who rarely plays.

One way or another the club needs a certain amount of revenue to operate. I wish they would just divide it by the membership and call that the dues but lifeís too short to fight battles over A couple hundred dollars a year.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#13 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

IIRC, walking fees started becoming popular with clubs 10 or 15 years ago. But there was so much push-back from members that they have largely disappeared. The idea is preposterous IMO. It is simply a way for a club to nickel and dime members out of more money. In the OP's case, it would be pretty shady to charge a trail fee for golf, and not have some usage fee for tennis.

If my club needs for money to operate, or for small capital projects, then I would want it to raise dues. Charging people to walk their golf course is ridiculous.

#14 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2552

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Our club (fully private) has instituted a walking trail fee for 2018.  It will be on weekends only and the fee is $12.  I am on the Board, so I'll explain the rationale.

We are one of the few clubs without a caddy program that has always allowed walking on weekends, including mornings.  We also allow push/pull carts which are prohibited at many/most private clubs in NJ.  In recent years, there has been a significant increase in members using push carts; so much so that we began charging a storage fee for them if they choose to leave them in the cart barn.

Crunching the numbers we realized that the club loses significant revenue to walkers and the losses have been increasing year over year.  Cart revenue provides much needed cash flow in-season.

We also recognize the health benefits of walking and did not want to take that option away from our members.  The agreed upon remedy was to charge a walking fee.  Our full 18 hole cart fee is $28, the new walking fee is $12.  We expect that some members who would otherwise walk may now opt to ride for the additional $16.

An additional point discussed was pace of play.  There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking.  That said, in my personal experience over many years I don't think it makes a substantive difference overall.  I've seen fast playing walkers and slow playing riders, so as long as neither is holding up the course I think pace is a non-issue as it relates to this discussion.

Edited by dpb5031, 08 March 2018 - 08:07 AM.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#15 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1047

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

I don't like the idea of a fee to walk the course, no matter what the time of day or week.  On the other hand, the job of the club directors is to break even (or maybe to make a profit), and they have to price the various services accordingly.  If the club is seeing a drop in revenue from the carts, enough to cause a problem with the overall bottom line, I would prefer that the club raise dues.  Instituting a walking fee, the club is no longer offering "unlimited golf", they're really offering the opportunity to pay a minimum daily fee for each round.  The additional questions come in, how many holes can you play for a single fee, or can you just play 4 holes with no fee, it raises complications.  A simple increase in the dues is a better way to solve the problem, in my opinion.

#16 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

View PostDLiver, on 08 March 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

IIRC, walking fees started becoming popular with clubs 10 or 15 years ago. But there was so much push-back from members that they have largely disappeared. The idea is preposterous IMO. It is simply a way for a club to nickel and dime members out of more money. In the OP's case, it would be pretty shady to charge a trail fee for golf, and not have some usage fee for tennis.

If my club needs for money to operate, or for small capital projects, then I would want it to raise dues. Charging people to walk their golf course is ridiculous.

Very few member-owned clubs provide carts without an additional fee (although a few do). Yet most people seem satisfied that "charging people to play their golf course in a cart" is not ridiculous.

Even fewer member-owned clubs roll the cost of food and beverage into the dues. But I've never heard anyone say it is ridiculous to "charge people to eat at their club".

It's all about what people are used to.

I played for a while at a century-old small town private club. The average member I knew there had been a member for decades. When i asked a few of those guys if they thought paying a couple dollars every time they played (and walked) they were puzzled at the question. They were like, "Well, yeah. We've always done it that way. But we pay a lot less than the cart riders".

Yet if you introduce a fee for walking rounds at a club that's never had it, people will react like you're trying to rob a bank or something.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#17 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 971

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostLoveG, on 07 March 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hey folks...I looked around and didn't see much on this topic, so forgive me if I start a redundant thread.  I'm a member of a fully private club and it is member owned.  The club has been around since the mid 1940s and is a very friendly walking course.  Currently the only services offered by the club are food, golf, tennis, pool and all the sub services offered within those parameters.  Recently there has been a rumor flying around about starting to charge a fee for walkers.  We've never charged for walking.  Greens fee is included in the membership dues.  We have to pay for the following: Range plan (Which is another ridiculous thing IMO), golf carts (which this price went up a few years ago), bag storage, locker, shoe cleaning, club repairs, etc, but not walking.  I'd say more people ride than walk on average.  

How common are walking fees on fully private clubs?  I'm not familiar with this anywhere else.  We don't have caddies or anything.  Push carts may have a fee but I have my own or just carry my bag.  Currently golf and membership dues basically fund the rest of the club.  There's no fee to play tennis, which irks me if they want to charge a walking fee.  I wish we would find ways to create more value/income with our other services, but I guess it's just easier to "tax" golf since it's the most revenue generating thing at the club outside of dues.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.  Any advice on this?  Also open to other ideas for the club that you see doing well at your places.

Your club sounds an awful lot like mine.  Very similar amenities based on your description.  Fees in addition to membership dues such as range, cart, club storage, lockers, club repair, etc. are a normal and acceptable in my opinion.  But I wouldn't be happy with a fee for walking or trail use.

About 15 years ago, a club in the city where I used to live charged a "walking fee" for anyone choosing to walk and a "trail fee" in addition to regular cart fees.  A huge, regional soccer complex now sits on the property where the golf course once stood.

#18 dmac4g

dmac4g

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16945
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

Since it is a Member-owned club, ask what the additional revenue is being used for or why it is needed?  There has to be a capital requirement somewhere they want to fund.

#19 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 971

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

View Postdavep043, on 08 March 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

I don't like the idea of a fee to walk the course, no matter what the time of day or week.  On the other hand, the job of the club directors is to break even (or maybe to make a profit), and they have to price the various services accordingly.  If the club is seeing a drop in revenue from the carts, enough to cause a problem with the overall bottom line, I would prefer that the club raise dues.  Instituting a walking fee, the club is no longer offering "unlimited golf", they're really offering the opportunity to pay a minimum daily fee for each round.  The additional questions come in, how many holes can you play for a single fee, or can you just play 4 holes with no fee, it raises complications.  A simple increase in the dues is a better way to solve the problem, in my opinion.

Excellent point!  My 10 year old daughter and I will often go play a few holes after work during the summer months.  Typically between 4 and 9 holes depending on time, weather and homework.

Would I pay a prorated "walking fee", no fee, the full fee, or some other variation?

#20 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

View Postdmac4g, on 08 March 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Since it is a Member-owned club, ask what the additional revenue is being used for or why it is needed?  There has to be a capital requirement somewhere they want to fund.

Or they simply don't bring in as much money from dues every year as it takes to pay the bills.

I can imagine a Board of Directors asking themselves, which of these two options will lose us the most members. Charge $5 per round to walkers or go up on everyone's dues by $70/month.

Right or wrong, they could easily judge that the $5/round fee would cause less member discontent and possibly defections. After all, at many clubs the vast majority of golfers are paying $15-$20/round to ride in a cart. Those guys would MUCH rather see the walkers pay a fee than see their own dues go up.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostHackerDave, on 08 March 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

I have never heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me.  People who ride in carts feel they are subsidizing those that do not.  Kind of silly.  Clubs are always looking for new sources of revenue.  A few years back our club purchased nice push carts for those who like to walk.  We charge a flat fee of $50 a year.  I was fine with that.   A fee for range balls is perfectly acceptable to me, assuming they do a good job or replenishing the stock.  If you are hitting balls from when Clinton was President, I might be upset by it.  

Our club does not allow the battery powered pushcarts as it takes revenue away from cart rentals.  I would love for the pro to sell the darn things and then just charge a reasonable annual fee.  

Frankly I would rather pay a nominal fee ($5) rather than be forced to take a cart.  I know many clubs that require mandatory cart or caddy and that really drives the cost up.

Our range has limited flight balls, so that's a whole other thing I can complain about!  The fee isn't a big deal on that, but the quality of the range ball is my biggest beef.  I think they've lost range users because of that.  I think there is talk to make changes to that right now too.

View PostNorth Butte, on 08 March 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

Two of the three member owned clubs to which I've belonged have such a fee, a few bucks a round.  One of them has done things that way as long as anyone can remember, the other started sometime back in the 90s.

I would prefer everything be rolled into dues but I don't particularly mind paying slightly more if you use the course hundreds of times a year versus someone who rarely plays.

One way or another the club needs a certain amount of revenue to operate. I wish they would just divide it by the membership and call that the dues but life's too short to fight battles over A couple hundred dollars a year.

We had a dues increase at end of 2017.  I get that clubs need to adjust for inflation sometimes.  Our club really needs to focus on bettering the overall experience as well as generate revenue from other parts of the club aside from golf.   I'm all for fees based on usage and all, but it needs to be fair compared to those that use other parts of the club.

View PostDLiver, on 08 March 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

I don't think it will go over well if they institute this at my club.  75 years it has been open with no major problems.  One thing that happened recently was our pool was 15 years over due for renovation.  Something finally happened that forced the club's hand to renovate and of course it cost a ton of cash.  Our dues have probably increased $75 in the last 3 years largely due to the pool and also an irrigation project at the course.  As you all probably experience, there is a ton of waste at privately owned member clubs and ours isn't immune to that.  I don't see how charging walkers helps anyone.  If anything it will reduce the amount of times I and others will be at the club willing to spend money.

View Postdpb5031, on 08 March 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

Our club (fully private) has instituted a walking trail fee for 2018.  It will be on weekends only and the fee is $12.  I am on the Board, so I'll explain the rationale.

We are one of the few clubs without a caddy program that has always allowed walking on weekends, including mornings.  We also allow push/pull carts which are prohibited at many/most private clubs in NJ.  In recent years, there has been a significant increase in members using push carts; so much so that we began charging a storage fee for them if they choose to leave them in the cart barn.

Crunching the numbers we realized that the club loses significant revenue to walkers and the losses have been increasing year over year.  Cart revenue provides much needed cash flow in-season.

We also recognize the health benefits of walking and did not want to take that option away from our members.  The agreed upon remedy was to charge a walking fee.  Our full 18 hole cart fee is $28, the new walking fee is $12.  We expect that some members who would otherwise walk may now opt to ride for the additional $16.

An additional point discussed was pace of play.  There's no doubt that 4 players intending to play briskly in carts are faster than 4 of the same walking.  That said, in my personal experience over many years I don't think it makes a substantive difference overall.  I've seen fast playing walkers and slow playing riders, so as long as neither is holding up the course I think pace is a non-issue as it relates to this discussion.

I totally get this.  I'd love to hear how your club does after a few months of real in season play.  Pace of play really isn't a problem for my course until maybe early morning of the warm part of year.  Walkers know to let faster groups through and honestly a lot of the walkers are plenty fast.  It's a Donald Ross course....so you know his philosophy of greens close to the next tee.  Please keep me updated on how your course is doing through the summer with the new fees!

#22 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

I kind of talked about this in previous post.  We had an emergency pool renovation that had to happen and also an overdue irrigation renovation.  We have increased dues probably $75 or so depending on your membership type over the last 2 or 3 years.  Our membership level is solid, but I think we need another 75 families or so.  IMO that's what they should be focused on...more members and less nickel and diming.

Edited by LoveG, 08 March 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#23 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the discussion so far everyone...It's comforting to hear that there are other clubs going through similar situations.

Edited by LoveG, 08 March 2018 - 09:06 AM.

#24 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

I myself would not consider a club that doesnít allow push carts (manual or electric) to do used every time I play. That is as much a deal breaker as the increasing number of clubs which do not allow walking, either at all or at certain times.

By comparison, how the club chooses to divvy up the money they require is a matter of perference but not a basis on which I would choose (or leave) a club I otherwise liked.

#25 mmckee02

mmckee02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68884
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mpmckee02
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Thats absurd.  I would leave my club if they did this.

#26 Arb8889

Arb8889

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376120
  • Handicap:2.4
  • Ebay ID:pro655
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

I've heard of this at clubs with caddies and carts and you decide to carry your bag before noon on weekends or something like that. Typically $5, which is fair in my opinion because you arent really supporting the club at peak times, but if you want to carry your bag for 9 at 4:00 on a tueday night thats ridiculous to charge a trail fee.
TM M3 460 (12) w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 X
TM M2 3 Wood HL (16.5) w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 S
TM Burner 7 Wood (21) w/ Aldila NVS S

TM P790 4-5 w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM P770 6-P w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM MG Wedges 52/56/60 w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM Spider Tour Black
TM TP5 Ball

#27 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostArb8889, on 08 March 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

I've heard of this at clubs with caddies and carts and you decide to carry your bag before noon on weekends or something like that. Typically $5, which is fair in my opinion because you arent really supporting the club at peak times, but if you want to carry your bag for 9 at 4:00 on a tueday night thats ridiculous to charge a trail fee.

Honestly, this is probably my biggest worry.

#28 Arb8889

Arb8889

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376120
  • Handicap:2.4
  • Ebay ID:pro655
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostLoveG, on 08 March 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

View PostArb8889, on 08 March 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Honestly, this is probably my biggest worry.

Id talk to the head professional, or head of the golf committee. Say you want to keep revenue coming for the club but put a restriction on when trail fees are applied (i.e. weekends before noon). Never hurts to have an honest conversation. Maybe even mention getting feedback and this being the most common solution. Cant hurt
TM M3 460 (12) w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 X
TM M2 3 Wood HL (16.5) w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 S
TM Burner 7 Wood (21) w/ Aldila NVS S

TM P790 4-5 w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM P770 6-P w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM MG Wedges 52/56/60 w/ KBS C Taper Lite S
TM Spider Tour Black
TM TP5 Ball

#29 LoveG

LoveG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

In this case, our head professional has zero power.  He must do what board and committee decide.

Edited by LoveG, 08 March 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#30 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1047

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 08 March 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Or they simply don't bring in as much money from dues every year as it takes to pay the bills.

I can imagine a Board of Directors asking themselves, which of these two options will lose us the most members. Charge $5 per round to walkers or go up on everyone's dues by $70/month.

Right or wrong, they could easily judge that the $5/round fee would cause less member discontent and possibly defections. After all, at many clubs the vast majority of golfers are paying $15-$20/round to ride in a cart. Those guys would MUCH rather see the walkers pay a fee than see their own dues go up.
This is the situation I imagine, additional revenue is required, where do we get it?  Everyone at the club will have his opinion as to who should pay more, and the first response is almost always "Anyone but me."  People who pay for carts feel like they're subsidizing walkers.  Walkers feel like cart-riders are damaging the golf course.  Or maybe the price of food should go up, or the pool fees should increase.  Its a hard decision to make, because someone will always be unhappy, will feel like he's being singled out.  Again, my personal opinion is that an overall dues increase is more palatable, so everyone is helping with the increased revenue.  Its a much easier to sell when the boards tells the members what "We all need to pay a little more"  instead of "You (pick one from: walkers, cart-riders, diners, swimmers, tennis-players) have gotten off easy, you need to pick up the slack".

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors