Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Course strategy for scramble

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ken_In_CA

Ken_In_CA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7618
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

I'm playing tomorrow with a friend, and we're being paired up with another 2 whom we do not know.

I'm pretty decent off the tee with occasional wild one creeps in, about 265 off the tee and my short game, mostly chipping is pretty good and the putting is not the greatest. My friend, well he's got good shots, longer than me by 10-15 yards but could be ALLLLLLL over the course.

How would you suggest we handle this? Who goes first, plays safe, etc...

Thanks for the help.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Matt727

Matt727

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34100
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

You hit first off the tees, and then you hit second otherwise....
- You hit in FW, he sprays one then no big
- You miss FW, then he can play 3W.... or hit a safe one in the FW

#3 slim16er

slim16er

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49202
  • Ebay ID:slim16er
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

Agreed - You get your's in the FW and let him take a rip. Around the greens you go last - to get reads off of everyone else.

#4 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

It all comes down to putting in a scramble...

All four of you have to make putts throughout the round...

You can strategize all you want off the tee, but just get the ball in play, and MAKE PUTTS!

#5 d0n

d0n

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34814

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

It's pretty easy to par in a 4-man scramble.  You have to birdie and eagle if you really want to have a chance to compete.  Like Mike said the winning strategy is less to do with your tee shot and more about the other end of each hole.  If you are playing the scramble to win and you can't sink putts the best you can hope for is to be in the medium of scores.  With that being said, if you have someone who can accurately bomb the driver it does help!

In the events I've played, most of the winning teams have had players that won "closest to the pin" rather than players who won "longest drive."

#6 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 724

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

I play in about 5 or 6 of these a year.  Ideally I think the best strategy is for your striaghtest hitter to tee off first.  Then Your long hitter go 2nd or 3rd.  Always have your best player, especially under pressure go 4th.  

fairway shots have the worst player go first and the best player go last etc.  

Putting is def.  the key, get the worst player to go first to just show the general line, then a good lag putter to go next to guarantee the par, then the best two putters can have a run at it.  

Just like on the PGA tour, whoever putts best usually wins.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#7 birdie_man

birdie_man

galoooooshhhh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19113
  • Ebay ID:birdie_man_1

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Always get a shorter hitter to put one in play first........then the longer ppl rip away.

Use the higher handicaps' drives (if you have to) when you can (to get em outta the way) and when it's a good time. (when they hit a good shot or on an appropriate hole)

Those are the first things that come to my mind.

Approach shot and putting order....................

Haven't thought about it lots but off the top of my head I'd use pretty well the same strategy: get one on the green or close to the hole then everyone else can play more aggressively.

#8 blade_man

blade_man

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47994
  • Ebay ID:napaman
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

Try to talk to the others before the round and ask what there strength is and play the first few holes according to that, you want to ALWAYS be in the fairway unless someone is five yards off the green in the rough, play to each players best shot and before you start choose a "captain"

#9 w7n23j

w7n23j

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9230

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

All the advice given are great ones!  I guess what I can share is that if the tournament allows you to purchase mulligans, take advantage of those but save them on the putting green for those needed birdie or eagle putts.

#10 luxman

luxman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48890
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

View Postblade_man, on Apr 24 2008, 02:03 PM, said:

Try to talk to the others before the round and ask what there strength is and play the first few holes according to that, you want to ALWAYS be in the fairway unless someone is five yards off the green in the rough, play to each players best shot and before you start choose a "captain"

Depending on the rough I don't necessarily agree with that.  If the rough isn't long, playing out of it isn't bad especially since you can place the ball.  If there is one in the rough 10-20 yards longer than one in the fairway, it's a no brainer to hit the longer one.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 PepsiDuck

PepsiDuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27419
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

My general guidelines for scrambles are:

1) best player hits last on every shot (he can take advantage the most from wind, green reading, related info, etc.; and he will likely be able to deal the best with pressure)
2) everyone should just rip it off the tee; if you have shorter hitters, telling them to "play safe" will just give you a shot in the fairway a looong way from the green; the last player should be able to save the team in case everyone else screws up
3) use mulligans for putts
4) always fire at the pin; if you're trying to play the safe shot by aiming at the green, your miss is off the green...if you're aiming at the pin, your miss is on the green...ideally...

i guess my general suggestion is there's no need to "play safe" in scrambles...i mean, you have 4 shots...but my suggestions seem to assume that you have at least one good player hitting anchor that will save the team's butt on command.

#12 Ken_In_CA

Ken_In_CA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Suggestions are fantastic. I'm hoping that we get paired with some decent players or atleast ones that we could have fun with! The course we're playing on is not that hard and the rough is very playable in most parts. Other areas may be more of hardpan or dirt. The most punishing is the trees, so even if you're in the fairway, you may not have a straight shot at the flag/green.

Bunkers are not that much of a problem nor deep except 1 or 2 of them.

So, depending on our partners, I think I'll play anchor between me and my friend. And we'll knock the flags off them sticks!  :wacko:  Then hopefully one or more of our putters will get red hot! And stay hot!

First time playing this tourney and format so should be interesting. Not sure how deep the field is or what the previous winning score was, but I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow when we're there. Just hope we're not last that's all! :shok:

#13 aec4

aec4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10922
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

I like a different strategy.

The guy who can most handle the pressure and get the ball in the fairway goes LAST.

This way, you don't have the long wild guy hitting thinking, "I have to get this in the fairway, since our A player missed the fairway"...  he won't be able to handle it.

#14 raidernut1234

raidernut1234

Raidernut1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18996
  • Ebay ID:raidernut1234
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

Right on the Money Aec 4.  Gotta have the guy who can handle the pressure go last on every shot.
Let the big ripper hit 3rd. He can't handle the pressure if everyone misses the fairway.
Its all about the putting.  Last year we won one, becuase I was fortunate enough to make 6 anchor birdie and eagle puts after everybody missed.
If your the best putter, make sure you go last and stand behind all 3 players when they putt.  not the marks their ball goes over, the speed, and how squarely the struck the putt.  This is the key to winning these tournaments.

#15 PepsiDuck

PepsiDuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27419
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Funny thing is that everyone assumes the big hitter is also a wild hitter....in every scramble I've played so far, the long hitter was also the best player, and the one who could routinely hit fairways and greens under pressure...but i agree with the putting aspect.

View Postraidernut1234, on Apr 24 2008, 04:47 PM, said:

Right on the Money Aec 4.  Gotta have the guy who can handle the pressure go last on every shot.
Let the big ripper hit 3rd. He can't handle the pressure if everyone misses the fairway.
Its all about the putting.  Last year we won one, becuase I was fortunate enough to make 6 anchor birdie and eagle puts after everybody missed.
If your the best putter, make sure you go last and stand behind all 3 players when they putt.  not the marks their ball goes over, the speed, and how squarely the struck the putt.  This is the key to winning these tournaments.

#16 Hoover98

Hoover98

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14348
  • Ebay ID:Aghoover98
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

View Postbirdie_man, on Apr 24 2008, 11:52 AM, said:

Always get a shorter hitter to put one in play first........then the longer ppl rip away.

Exactly.  We have a guy who only hits his driver about 200, but its DEAD STRAIGHT EVERY TIME.  He bats leadoff, then the rest of us swing for the fences and most of the time we have at least one good one to choose from.  Now, one thing I have learned over the years is that when you have two weaker players when it comes to short game, on short par-4s (which most are in scrambles), picking the ball closest to the green isn't always the best decision.  If its in that in-between distance around 30-70 yards, especially if there's a bunker or something to carry, I'll take my chances with 4 shots from 90-100 yards over 4 from 40-50 yards almost every time.
SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

#17 Ken_In_CA

Ken_In_CA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

Well, the scramble came and went... and this was really a story made in hell!!!  :lol:

I meet my friend on the range an hour prior to the supposed tee off time and we warm up. I'm so stiff from last night practice session (too many balls and too many swings and too many putts!!!  :clapping: ) The I find out that my friend can't really swing the club that well, cuz he fractured (hairline) his right 5th metacarpal 2-3 weeks ago and it's pretty sore when he hits... great good start so far.

Now our partners we meet and one has just taken up the game and is wearing flip flops and the other is a 20 handicaper... great. But the great things is that they're really cool.  :)

Well we line up to hit on the first tee and there's a problem and we wait for 45 minutes... so now I'm really stiff and cold. We all dribble the ball down the fairway and limp in a bogey on the first hole!  :crazy:

Anyways, I hit my driver well all day around 270 (dry and hard fairways) but that was really about it, approach shot were anti-green seekers, but atleast I was able to chip in 2 times and putted decent.

We were not first, but we were not LAST, which surprised me. 65 was our total score... not bad for a bunch of hackers!

When we're healthy and with a little more practice I think we could get to the upper quarter!

Thanks for all the help and advise, it did help. :hi:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors