Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

The Stock Tour Swing by Tyler Ferrell – Excellent Swing Instruction Book!


117 replies to this topic

#91 AES83

AES83

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493634
  • Joined: 02/15/2018
  • Location:Sweden
  • Handicap:12.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

 glk, on 14 October 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

 AES83, on 14 October 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Anyone knows if it’s possible to purchase this as an ebook? I prefer reading on my phone/tablet.
I asked Tyler in March about this.   Said it’s in the works with no firm timeline.

Thank you!
Maybe I’€™ll just order the original so that I’€™m set for this winter.  :-)

Edited by AES83, 15 October 2018 - 01:33 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#92 me05501

me05501

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:Chattanooga, TN
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

I'm enjoying this book. I agree that the graphics could be better, but the explanations make sense.

I took some lessons earlier this year, and that pro had shown me the motorcycle drill. More recently I found Monte's "Zipper Away" drill. Both of those moves are emphasized in this book (Jackson 5 = zipper away).

I'm a lifelong upper body swinger. Good grip and setup fundamentals have allowed me to play the game decently while being a short hitter.

I felt a strong sense of recognition when I read early in this book that Tyler identified two types of amateurs:
  • ones who power the swing from the ground, and tend to be good with the driver and not as good with irons and wedges, and
  • ones who try to use their shoulders for power and are good with wedges and irons but struggle with the longer clubs.
That second guy is ME.

In the last couple of weeks I've had a couple of range sessions using the Jackson 5/Zipper Away drill. This works very well for me with my irons. I don't need to do anything else to square the clubface. The ball leaves the club face with speed, starts on my target line, and has a nice high flight with a slight draw.

For my driver, I have to add the motorcycle drill to make sure I square the face. I'm finding the sweet spot more often and the ball is starting online. I have hit some drives that seemed to stay in the air forever. If I don't square the clubface they're still hit hard and starting online but they curve offline to the right.

Other than implementing these two moves, the only adjustment I've had to make is to set up closer to the ball. I'm clearing my hips (finally) and there's more room for the club to come inside, so I have to make sure not to be reaching for the ball. One of my setup cues with the driver is to have the ball on the heel at address, which seems to give me center contact.

So I'm hitting the ball better just in time for winter. :D

2

#93 BottleCap

BottleCap

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:29 PM

I'm about half way through and it's really good stuff. When I first saw the book when it arrived a few days ago I thought it was way too thick, but I haven't been able to put it down.

The swing Tyler is pushing is the flatter swing you see on tour. The one that looks like Paul Casey as opposed to Bubba or Mickelson.

The graphics are fine, what bothers me is the placement of the page numbers.

Edited by BottleCap, 18 October 2018 - 11:30 PM.

Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Bridgestone Tour B XS

3

#94 me05501

me05501

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:Chattanooga, TN
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

Practiced for nine holes yesterday with no warm up. I was a walking single with no one in front or behind, so on most shots I hit two balls.

I have trouble committing to doing the hip bump and the motorcycle move on the same swing. :) Generally, my first ball was okay and my second ball was a lot better. I just have to trust it more. Two transition moves is a lot to think about, and a smarter man would ingrain one of them before adding the other.

That man is not me.

4

#95 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4645

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

 me05501, on 19 October 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Practiced for nine holes yesterday with no warm up. I was a walking single with no one in front or behind, so on most shots I hit two balls.

I have trouble committing to doing the hip bump and the motorcycle move on the same swing. :) Generally, my first ball was okay and my second ball was a lot better. I just have to trust it more. Two transition moves is a lot to think about, and a smarter man would ingrain one of them before adding the other.

That man is not me.
I’d experiment a bit with the  motorcycle.   For me I found that I’m better at ending the backswing with and then maintaining a l dj.   Multiple ways to achieve it.


5

#96 CasualLie

CasualLie

    Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99500
  • Joined: 12/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

1. I think there are other ways to achieve the "motorcycle" move other than conscious effort, so one has to look into that before focusing on hands and over doing it.

2. There is a lot of experimentation.  How early you start the move, how late, and how much...and all of this is impacted by swing width (different length clubs).  I have found it to be great to consciously use this 100 yards in, somewhat good 7i - PW...but as I get closer to Driver, the swing is just too fast to be thinking about this!

6

#97 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

 me05501, on 19 October 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Practiced for nine holes yesterday with no warm up. I was a walking single with no one in front or behind, so on most shots I hit two balls.

I have trouble committing to doing the hip bump and the motorcycle move on the same swing. :) Generally, my first ball was okay and my second ball was a lot better. I just have to trust it more. Two transition moves is a lot to think about, and a smarter man would ingrain one of them before adding the other.

That man is not me.

Sometimes you need to do both

https://www.youtube....h?v=ykiohVeKQys

7

#98 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4645

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

Martin Hall, on School of Golf TGC,  is doing a segment on Tyler's book on Tuesday night 11/13 at 7 Eastern.

Edited by glk, 12 November 2018 - 03:17 PM.


8

#99 ralphs007

ralphs007

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378076
  • Joined: 05/28/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

 DLiver, on 14 October 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

 PutterKilledTheDream, on 15 March 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:


Holy fark! How the hell can you even swing the club with a mind filled with all this crap?
+1
I had one of my best ball striking years using, "Harvey Penick's Magic Move".Simple, but it worked like a charm! I'm sure there are some golfers who could learn from this book,but for me,it would be a total disaster!

9

#100 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4645

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

FYI a podcast with Tyler from late 2017 right as his book was coming out.



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#101 airjammer

airjammer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Joined: 05/13/2007
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Has anyone took a in person lesson from Tyler?  I’m not looking to take a lesson, I’m just curious and would love to hear the experience.

11

#102 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:18 AM

 Fort Worth Pro, on 06 March 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

This is probably the best golf instruction book I have read. Tyler did an unbelievable job. The organization and detail are both excellent

Being honest it’s like a text book.  ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I don’t need to know how Nuclear fission works by the equation.  Just heat my house.

Edited by BB28403, 09 February 2019 - 03:24 AM.


12

#103 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

 BB28403, on 09 February 2019 - 03:18 AM, said:

 Fort Worth Pro, on 06 March 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

This is probably the best golf instruction book I have read. Tyler did an unbelievable job. The organization and detail are both excellent

Being honest it’s like a text book.  ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I don’t need to know how Nuclear fission works by the equation.  Just heat my house.

I disagree. Is it detailed/technical, absolutely. Is it so detailed/technical that you need to be a university student/PhD to understand and learn from it? Absolutely not.

If you want to "find it in the dirt", yeah you won't like it. But if you want to learn the fine details of the golf swing and largely how all of the cause and effect relationships work, its great. Most amateurs focus on the effects (compensations), a quick fix, a drill, lightning in a bottle perhaps.If you want to focus on everything else, this book has it all fully detailed. Like all things in golf, how much you put in is directly proportional to how much you get out. If you go in an open mind, there is a lot to learn

I too used to write off a lot of the technical jargon, but the more I read it, the more I understand it and how it applies to my swing and faults.

Edited by Krt22, 09 February 2019 - 11:38 AM.


13

#104 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

 Krt22, on 09 February 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

 BB28403, on 09 February 2019 - 03:18 AM, said:

 Fort Worth Pro, on 06 March 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

This is probably the best golf instruction book I have read. Tyler did an unbelievable job. The organization and detail are both excellent

Being honest it’s like a text book.  ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I don’t need to know how Nuclear fission works by the equation.  Just heat my house.

I disagree. Is it detailed/technical, absolutely. Is it so detailed/technical that you need to be a university student/PhD to understand and learn from it? Absolutely not.

If you want to "find it in the dirt", yeah you won't like it. But if you want to learn the fine details of the golf swing and largely how all of the cause and effect relationships work, its great. Most amateurs focus on the effects (compensations), a quick fix, a drill, lightning in a bottle perhaps.If you want to focus on everything else, this book has it all fully detailed. Like all things in golf, how much you put in is directly proportional to how much you get out. If you go in an open mind, there is a lot to learn

I too used to write off a lot of the technical jargon, but the more I read it, the more I understand it and how it applies to my swing and faults.

This is my view,  sure butch Harmon can create superstars and yes Claude Harmon coaches Rickie,  but who coaches butch and Claude ?  Say they were younger,  they would need coaches too,  knowing what you are doing does not help,  you need a coach who knows all this stuff but as a player you don’t need to understand it.  If you do understand it great!  But you still have to listen to your coach, all this stuff will just make you question him and have conflicting views.  

If it helps your scores in some miraculous way then great, but I don’t think it will unless Tyler is your coach.  And he does coach! So go see him :).

14

#105 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Again, disagree, I never said it replaces good instruction, but it absolutely supplements it. Such that when you are with your instructor and working on understanding your flaws and fixes, the time is much more efficient since you at least have a decent idea of what is going on, what the fix is, and why.  A lot of time stubborn golfers are given drills, they don't understand why they are doing the drill, they say it feels weird/unnatural/etc, and thus predispose themselves to write it off. But if you have basic knowledge of what differentiates your swing from that of even an "average" PGA tour player, you are more likely to absorb the concept quickly. So you can spend more time on the lesson tee finding the right feel that makes it all click for you vs having the instructor explain what is going on and why it's not ideal

And you don't need Tyler to be your coach, the move he teaches isn't dramatically different than the move many top tier coaches teach. If you actually read the book and made the effort to fully understand the principles, you'd see the common trends a lot of modern coaches shoot to incorporate.


15

#106 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

 Krt22, on 09 February 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Again, disagree, I never said it replaces good instruction, but it absolutely supplements it. Such that when you are with your instructor and working on understanding your flaws and fixes, the time is much more efficient since you at least have a decent idea of what is going on, what the fix is, and why.  A lot of time stubborn golfers are given drills, they don't understand why they are doing the drill, they say it feels weird/unnatural/etc, and thus predispose themselves to write it off. But if you have basic knowledge of what differentiates your swing from that of even an "average" PGA tour player, you are more likely to absorb the concept quickly. So you can spend more time on the lesson tee finding the right feel that makes it all click for you vs having the instructor explain what is going on and why it's not ideal

And you don't need Tyler to be your coach, the move he teaches isn't dramatically different than the move many top tier coaches teach. If you actually read the book and made the effort to fully understand the principles, you'd see the common trends a lot of modern coaches shoot to incorporate.

Whatever floats your boat!  How many strokes have you shaved off since incorporating the book?

16

#107 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

Let's not make this about me, It's not whatever floats my boat. You dismissed the book completely for a poor reason (In my opinion), so I offered some legitimate insight on the book and how it may be valuable to the reader actually interested in learning.

It's interesting you brought up the textbook analogy though. Even though it's NOT hard  to read like a textbook,  it functions in the same way a textbook does in the academic setting. It's a supplement to what you learn in lecture (or lessons). Very few do well just reading the text book, very few do well just going to lecture, the ones who do the best typically read the book prior to lecture and use the book as a reference when needed.

For what it's worth I dropped 6 strokes in 6 months from the date I bought the book. I had some online lessons with Monte mixed in there and the book gave me immediate understanding of what I was doing wrong and what Monte wanted me to do to fix it.

Again, it does t replace good instruction, it just makes good instruction more effective/efficient.

Edited by Krt22, 10 February 2019 - 09:05 PM.


17

#108 howellhandmade

howellhandmade

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240097
  • Joined: 03/22/2013
  • Location:Pittsburgh
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

Posting to follow this thread, and also to say that I think it’s a good book. I’ve struggled with the common errors of across the line at the top, steep and EE on the way down. The motorcycle drill seems to be a valuable feel for me to shallow the shaft. A fairly aggressive application of throttle seems to do what nothing previously has done, putting my left wrist in a position to let the head drop.

I envy those who don’t need to learn or think about their golf swings, and also those who have found coaches who have been able to guide them to good swings. As someone who started late and ingrained a lot of bad habits and has yet to find a pro able to maintain a consistent direction, I find books that help me understand to give me hope. I think I may try the video lesson approach with Mr. Ferrell.

18

#109 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

 Krt22, on 10 February 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

Let's not make this about me, It's not whatever floats my boat. You dismissed the book completely for a poor reason (In my opinion), so I offered some legitimate insight on the book and how it may be valuable to the reader actually interested in learning.

It's interesting you brought up the textbook analogy though. Even though it's NOT hard  to read like a textbook,  it functions in the same way a textbook does in the academic setting. It's a supplement to what you learn in lecture (or lessons). Very few do well just reading the text book, very few do well just going to lecture, the ones who do the best typically read the book prior to lecture and use the book as a reference when needed.

For what it's worth I dropped 6 strokes in 6 months from the date I bought the book. I had some online lessons with Monte mixed in there and the book gave me immediate understanding of what I was doing wrong and what Monte wanted me to do to fix it.

Again, it does t replace good instruction, it just makes good instruction more effective/efficient.

Damn dude chill out!  Lol. I bought the book for $25, tried to read it, and it was boring me to tears.  That’s just my experience .  Sorry you feel the need to discredit my opinion.  Whatever floats your boat means , I see your opinion and that is good you have one. We all have differing opinions.  

Edited by BB28403, 11 February 2019 - 09:53 AM.


19

#110 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Joined: 12/24/2016
  • Location:South Texas
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1433

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

Fantastic book.  There are many ways to execute good golf swings, but it is really nice to have those approaches broken down to biomechanical components and cataloged.  While I may not be able to swing like the pros, I like to understand the swing components they prefer.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#111 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

 BB28403, on 11 February 2019 - 09:52 AM, said:

 Krt22, on 10 February 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

Let's not make this about me, It's not whatever floats my boat. You dismissed the book completely for a poor reason (In my opinion), so I offered some legitimate insight on the book and how it may be valuable to the reader actually interested in learning.

It's interesting you brought up the textbook analogy though. Even though it's NOT hard  to read like a textbook,  it functions in the same way a textbook does in the academic setting. It's a supplement to what you learn in lecture (or lessons). Very few do well just reading the text book, very few do well just going to lecture, the ones who do the best typically read the book prior to lecture and use the book as a reference when needed.

For what it's worth I dropped 6 strokes in 6 months from the date I bought the book. I had some online lessons with Monte mixed in there and the book gave me immediate understanding of what I was doing wrong and what Monte wanted me to do to fix it.

Again, it does t replace good instruction, it just makes good instruction more effective/efficient.

Damn dude chill out!  Lol. I bought the book for $25, tried to read it, and it was boring me to tears.  That’s just my experience .  Sorry you feel the need to discredit my opinion.  Whatever floats your boat means , I see your opinion and that is good you have one. We all have differing opinions.  

I'm chill. You offered your opinion, I offered mine. Disagreeing with your opinion doesn't mean I'm trying to discredit you. Everyone learns in different ways, if it's not for you that is fine, I was simply trying to state I do think it offers a lot to those patient enough to read it in it's entirety.

21

#112 MysteryV

MysteryV

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450612
  • Joined: 01/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

I love this book as it's very different than every other golf instruction book I've read (which is one of the reasons I've been working with Tyler live for quite a while now).  While most books teach you to swing a certain way, Tyler focuses on helping the reader to understand the various components that comprise the golf swing so that you can recognize your strengths, weaknesses, and build a swing of your own.

I also really like the fact that the author is a student of both the game, and of other coaches.  He's consistently recognized by other great coaches in the industry with shout outs from folks like Chris Cuomo on The Golf Channel, etc.  While the most important thing is that I like the way he writes and teaches, it's an added bonus to know that other, far more knowledgable folks agree.

His website also helps to visualize the concepts he discusses in the book, and offers a free trial.

I know I sound a bit like a shill here, but it's only because I really like Tyler's work and approach (as well as the guy himself) - and have got a TON of mileage out of it.

Great book
Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track

22

#113 stlcardinals08

stlcardinals08

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473410
  • Joined: 06/29/2017
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

I’m a really big fan of Tyler as well. I bought his book last May and have worked with him using his video lessons.

I still have a long runway to improve, but I feel like I’ve made big strides forward. You can see my swing evolution at the link below.

https://youtu.be/mF8PsfTyHRs

23

#114 carrera

carrera

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
  • Joined: 04/21/2005
  • Location:Northern California
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM

 stlcardinals08, on 11 February 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm a really big fan of Tyler as well. I bought his book last May and have worked with him using his video lessons.

I still have a long runway to improve, but I feel like I've made big strides forward. You can see my swing evolution at the link below.

https://youtu.be/mF8PsfTyHRs

Can you bring your 25 handicap to California for my member-guest this year?  Nice progress.
Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff (soon to be replaced by a Cobra)
Cobra King Utility - Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4
Cobra King Forged TEC Black - Recoil 95 F4 5-PW
Cobra King Black wedges 54/58 versatile grinds - Recoil 110 F4;
TM Spider Tour Red
TM TP5X

24

#115 chiva

chiva

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
  • Joined: 04/20/2012
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 602

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

Best golf book I’ve ever read.

OB and water hazards you flunkies

25

#116 stlcardinals08

stlcardinals08

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473410
  • Joined: 06/29/2017
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

 carrera, on 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

 stlcardinals08, on 11 February 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm a really big fan of Tyler as well. I bought his book last May and have worked with him using his video lessons.

I still have a long runway to improve, but I feel like I've made big strides forward. You can see my swing evolution at the link below.

https://youtu.be/mF8PsfTyHRs

Can you bring your 25 handicap to California for my member-guest this year?  Nice progress.

Thank you! You are close on your 25 handicap guess, although I haven’t kept it officially. My unofficial one is about 20. Hoping that I’ll be a great net player this upcoming season.

26

#117 Golfah

Golfah

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241809
  • Joined: 03/30/2013
  • Location:Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

I want to thank to OP for bringing this book to my attention.  It is:

Confusingly laid out
Difficult to discern small black and white photos that seem identical with no explanations underneath
Verbose in areas that seem irrelevant and meager on important concepts
One of the first golf book I read that I don't feel the urge to "try something" out on the range after reading
The videos on his website are not tremendously illuminating as a companion for the book
Title of the book misleading.  It is really a guide to self-diagnosis

BUT

It is an absolute revelation in my understanding of my swing, and it's one of the very best golf books I have ever read.  This is coming from a golf book junkie who learns from reading and less from instruction/explanation.

The book serves to help those who have a decent but not masterful understanding of the swing self-diagnose their misses.  It is perfect for me at this time in my development, because I am pretty competent at swinging a club, but when I miss, or have a "bad bday" it's what Tyler calls an "Easter egg hunt" to find the reason.  The thing that has been stumping me, is: WHY when I try certain adjustments do certain things happen? - or not work one time, and work another?  

So this books helps me understand:

- Why my body movement tendencies produce certain pattern misses.
- Why instructor 1 will tell me something completely different from instructor 2, and the feels are completely different, yet both work (or not)
- A simple, logical framework to break down the root cause of every miss: path + face + steep/shallow.
- The "Eureka" moment for me that all the tips and instruction that work for me influence competing shallowing or steepening tendencies.  
- I realized that I have shallowing and steepening tendencies that occur at the wrong place and time, causing inconsistency

I HIGHLY recommend this book to someone who is at least has a baseline ability and has a good grasp of instruction terminology.  I am very confident this book will unlock the next steps in my progress.

27

#118 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

    Swing Lessee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Joined: 05/19/2013
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 862

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

The content of the book is good but I think that the structure of the book is confusing. The web site is much better and way easier to navigate.

28



1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Darth_Blader

GolfWRX Sponsors