Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Its not me its the driver...no its probably me. - KZG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcd22

mcd22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490106
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Four years ago I got a promotion, instead of buying a watch I splurged on the full deal, fitted and custom built.  The driver that I got out of that deal was a KZG-GFX with the Element Earth shaft.  I have loved that driver, but starting last fall and continuing through yesterday, my distance has really reduced.  I will readily admit that I am not as physically strong or as flexible as I was four years ago, but I would love to lay some of the blame on the club, but I'm not sure that makes much sense.  

I can tell by reading this forum that most of you are way more equipment savvy than I am. From what I have read, it seems unlikely that I have hit the thing enough to even approach the limits of failure on the club head.  Is it likely as I turn 50 that the shaft is a bad match?  I'm guessing that the answer is that I should be re-fitted after four years, but I would love to hear some of you equipment gurus thoughts.

Thanks,
Michael

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3231

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

If the clubhead has failed, there should be some visible evidence.  I hope the driver is broken because that is an easier fix than declining SS.  A re-fit would be a good place to start.

#3 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 2554

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

You're not getting the equipment to the ball like you used to. It happens. It can happen from day to day. Like the poster above said, you would see some physical evidence of failure. If you can, take your club down to a fitting bay and get some impact tape and see where on the face you're hitting and what kind of numbers you're getting. The more you're in the bay, you may loosen up and get some of the quality striking back.
Wyoming Cowboys

WITB
PRGR Nabla RS02M43S
PRGR Nabla 18 M43S
Masda Fast Blades 5-P Nippon 120S
EON TW15 52/58 Nippon Wedge S
Piretti Matera
MacGregor VIP Heads 2-P Welded/Copper Finish
Miura Baby Blades
1-P

#4 mcd22

mcd22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

I was suffering so bad from new driver fever that I overlooked the obvious first step...turns out that 15 minutes with the local pro mysteriously solved the metal fatigue that I was sure had inflicted my driver.

Michael

#5 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 1119

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

A good sports physio has helped me regain some flexibility and improved clubhead speed.

#6 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 28885

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Father Time has a way of catching us all-- I am now 60 and a big strong guy for my age still my SS has slowed--- I hit stiff shafts for years--- Look at some of my old WITB posts 4 years ago I was still hitting the old UST Pro Force Gold 65 Stiff shafts in all my fairways. I was hitting a rare stiff Creation Tour Shaft in my driver. I was also hitting the old Brunswick 7.0s in my irons. Gradually all of that got too stiff for me and gradually I started swinging out of my shoes to compensate. I ended up switching to regular flex shafts in everything. I know I had a hard time accepting the facts but there they were. I am not a big Trackman guy but over two rainy Saturdays a friend of mine showed me the facts on his Trackman. The pics and stats did not lie. I had to switch flexes.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW TM V-Steel 5 wood 18* Pro Launch Blue
FW TM V-Steel 7 wood 21* Stock TM R
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- Little David 8802 or 97 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as hell
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge Stiff DJ Special
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#7 mcd22

mcd22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

I hear you Big Stu, I got on a launch monitor this past weekend and the club fitter put me in a regular shaft and even dialed in a draw bias.  Hard pill to swallow for a guy who used to use an x-stiff shaft and fought a hook. I mean I sucked at golf then even more than I do now, but my drives were clearing the OB fences at impressive heights.  I will soon be adding a Callaway driver into my bag of KZG, Epon and Miura it will look like an odd duck but it sure felt pretty hitting it, I think golfers understand felt pretty.

#8 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 1187

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

I understand Michael. Hope the new one works well for ya. :hi:
JBeam BM-435 Blackout 10* Accra Tour-Z RPG 352
TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
PING S55 4-W DGTI X100
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 56SS, & 60ES DGTI S400
Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0

#9 robins

robins

Hands of stone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507924
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:tt996go
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

The OP's post brings back a weird memory.  A few years back I had a Titleist Driver (do not remember which model) with a Grafalloy red shaft which I hit straight & long I  really liked that club.   Then one day it just went dead, lost yardage and felt like I was hitting a block of wood.   The club pro and others looked it over and declared nothing wrong, must be the users's swing.  One afternoon, playing a match, i teed it up, swung, hit the ball and something whacked me in the back of the head, hard.  The shaft had broken about 6 inches up from the hosel, and kept the head attached by a thread of material.  All along, it was the shaft that was going.  T

Caveat:  I'm not a club thrower/banger, so no damage caused by anything other than my standard swing/chop
WITB

Taylor Made M3, 440 10*  Kuro Kage Dual core S flex
Titleist  917 F2 3 Wood
Titleist 818H2 Hybrid 19*
Callaway Apex ut  21*
Miura IC 601 P-5  Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH R
Vokey SM6 56 & 60 wedges
Cameron GoLo 6 putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors