Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Any thoughts on golf academies or camps?

33 replies to this topic

#31 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485724
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Here’s another one in San Diego. Thx

https://premiergolf.academy

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postleeztz, on 08 March 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

Anyone out there have any familiarity with the Stanford golf camps? thanks

http://www.stanfordgolfcamp.com/

The Players Camp looks great

#33 JiuJitsuandGolf

JiuJitsuandGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483632
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:JiuJitsuJustin
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

I must say this a breath of fresh air lol.  I grew up a wrestler, specialized in it at age 9 (started at 4) attended every camp, traveled nationwide for tournaments, "redshirt" in middle school etc.. This is much more laid back.  As a father of a 4 year old son who loves golf I know there is plenty of time and not have that fear of falling behind as opposed to wrestling.  But what doesn't change is, parents living through their kids.  Ill take walking the course any day over being in a gym with screaming parents.
Cobra F8+ Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 75G
Cobra F8 3FW NV Blue Stiff 70G
Cobra F8 3H Aldila Rogue Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-Gap W/ Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 54 & 58 Wedges W/ Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland Huntington Beach 6C Putter
Titleist 14 Way Stand Bag
TaylorMade TP5X/ Srixon Z Star

#34 Asiangolfer1995

Asiangolfer1995

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152137
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:09 AM

View Postkcap, on 05 March 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

My son went to the week long GGGA summer camp last year.  He is 10 but let me preface so you know where we are coming from.  My kids usually go away for sleep away camps during the summer and that is how we viewed the GGGA camp. They are costly especially if you factor in travel but in my opinion they are not that much more expensive when compared to other sleep away camps. In my mind GGGA is better value when compared to other multi sport or outdoor sleep away camps.  Last point on cost, my other child went to one of the top academic sleep away camp.. same price as GGGA.  In my mind both of them is just about the experience and learning.  

Re GGGA - On the plus side, he got really good training (more on that later), learnt responsibility (carried and cleaned his own clubs, learnt to hydrate and eat during a Florida summer round) was able to meet kids from different background/nationalities.  I think his room mates were an 11 yr from Columbia and a 13 yr old from China.  Language was an issue but all three from spoke a common language i.e Golf.

Hopefully it is obvious that we wanted him to get good training, as well as experience the intangibles of a sleep away camp.  The purpose was not to get him ready for college golf. i am with the other parents on that - you need to wait till the child is 14ish to see if he has the interest, skill etc to make it.  

Re: the training.  I think it was great, the emphasis is on drills and fitness in the morning.  Followed by playing time at Mission Inn and then of course pool time.  He came back playing better golf but it was hard to sustain cause range session are back to hitting the ball rather drill after drill after drill.

Will note that the instructors are quite accessible during the camp and after.  I have sent videos of his recent swing and got back drills to work on.

He will be going back this summer for probably a two week camp.  I have tried to be quite clear in why we send him there, send me PM if you want more info, happy to help.

I have a view on the full time academy but your child is only 10 - you are at least 4 yrs away from that decision.

I was a coaching intern at GGGA in Summer of 2017 so I probably saw and maybe taught your kid, glad he had fun while improving his game, that was the end goal when I was an intern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors