Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Any thoughts on golf academies or camps?

33 replies to this topic

#1 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485724
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Has anyone tried his school or camp? Impressive list of past students. Looking to accelerate training of my 10 year old daughter. I feel like ages 10-14 super critical if serious about college golf.

https://ggga.com

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2000

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

What 10-12 year old is serious about college golf?  Their parents maybe, but they aren't.  If they are serious about college golf then it is from their parents stressing or demanding it.  I have a 10-12 year old kid who we know right now will play D1 golf.  That doesn't mean at 12 years old he is serious about it and neither am I.  We make sure he has great grades, a great attitude, and a love to continue playing.  If she is playing for a college scholarship then she is playing for the wrong reasons.

Gilchrest Golf Academy is very good.  Have heard plenty of great things about it.  Just because you send your daughter there will not guarantee accelerated learning and will not guarantee a golf scholarship.  In fact, you would be better off saving the money you would pay to send there and hire her academic tutors to ensure she graduates with around a 4.0.  It will cost less than the Golf Academy and traveling for golf and  benefit her more in the future.  Stay with a local instructor and hire really good academic tutors.

#3 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

I should clarify if they want to play golf in college itís important to set foundation early - not just golf swing fundamentals but mental and fitness too. Obviously but to kid if they want to pursue golf in college but having proper foundation set early I would think makes it much easier.

#4 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

My soon to be 10yo has it figured out he's going to play golf at Alabama haha. We will see.
This year's plan is no camps and just play as many rounds as possible and many tournaments. No travel he is 10 just local. Goal is to keep polishing what he had and let him see what he needs to improve trough tournament play. Then football starts and we just go to his coach once a month to keep everything smooth and hopefully not lose to much. He's 10 he loves golf and football. We love the football family. He says one day he will stop playing football to focus on his golf career but it will be when be wants to. I rather him be a kid and enjoy life. If he's good enough he'll find somewhere to play college golf may not be Alabama but somewhere he can refine his game and get an education. He'll see then if he can play at the next are get a real job.
I have learned with my son even at his age I can talk all day about his game. But if I set him up in scenarios where be learns it himself it's golden and saves me a lot of arguing haha.

#5 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7027

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

The full time academies are VERY expensive.  I think 10 years old is way too young to attend even the week long camps.   Itís your money and you can choose to spend it how you wish but until high school aged I wouldnít send a kid to an away academy.  

Plenty of girls who play college golf havenít even touched a club at 12-14.   The bar is a lot lower for girls than it for guys due to smaller talent pool and more scholarships available.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 05 March 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

The full time academies are VERY expensive.  I think 10 years old is way too young to attend even the week long camps.   It's your money and you can choose to spend it how you wish but until high school aged I wouldn't send a kid to an away academy.  

Plenty of girls who play college golf haven't even touched a club at 12-14.   The bar is a lot lower for girls than it for guys due to smaller talent pool and more scholarships available.

My daughter didn't touch a club until she was almost 13 and in the 7th grade.  At that time she didn't even know if she wanted to play competitively at all.  It was around this time 6 years ago she ever touched a club for the first time.  She was terrible, but she could swing the club.  She played through out the summer and played in a local summer tour and didn't break 50 playing 9 holes.  She continued to the next school year playing on the recreational school teams after school program.  Still Couldn't break 100.  Within a couple of months she decided that she was going to try out for the high school golf team the next year.  I told her if she was going to do it then I would help her pursue getting a lot better.  I knew absolutely nothing about the game at that time.  All she did to that point was go to group after school lessons once or twice a week.  I told her if she wanted to play on the high school team she would have to see a coach.  We did that.  He suggested she play in FJT and SFPGA tournaments.  Her first two day tournament ever was as a 13 year old 8th grader in January.  She shot 109 108 where she was paired with two girl's that now play at UGA and the other Vanderbilt.  She learned a lot watching them.  She got on the horse and played another 2 weeks later and was in the 90s.  By the end of that summer and before she started the 9th grade she shot her first round in the 70's.  Four years later she was playing D1 golf.

If you can afford the 30 to 60 grand a year to send them to an academy, why not just save the money and pay for them to go to school?  Sending them to an academy does not guarantee success.

#7 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 535

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

My kid is going to a 4-day Nike day camp this summer at a local course. He's 7YO (and an only child) so more of a social event than golf training. Just the extra practice and maybe he will pick up a few short game tips is what I am looking for him to learn.  Plus, it breaks up the monotony of summer. Personally, I'm using it as a quasi-interview process to meet golf coaches for later on when he is 11-12 and beyond my golf teaching abilities.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 05 March 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

My kid is going to a 4-day Nike day camp this summer at a local course. He's 7YO (and an only child) so more of a social event than golf training. Just the extra practice and maybe he will pick up a few short game tips is what I am looking for him to learn.  Plus, it breaks up the monotony of summer. Personally, I'm using it as a quasi-interview process to meet golf coaches for later on when he is 11-12 and beyond my golf teaching abilities.

Camps are different and awesome for kids at that level.

#9 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1752

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

My son is 7 and hasn't yet decided between USC, UCLA, and Stanford. :to_become_senile:

#10 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

View Postkekoa, on 05 March 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

My son is 7 and hasn't yet decided between USC, UCLA, and Stanford. :to_become_senile:

What about Cal???

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

My 7 year old is fully committed to University of Texas. Perhaps I should inform them

#12 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Damn. So much hating on this thread. Posed honest q and got my legs bashed in from heavy hitter and the like.

#13 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

View Postleeztz, on 05 March 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Damn. So much hating on this thread. Posed honest q and got my legs bashed in from heavy hitter and the like.

Whatever you do, don't bring up skiing.

Regarding the camps, my kid is not old enough to attend such a more intensive camp.  When I was a kid, I used to go for a couple weeks to the University of Iowa Sports Camps for golf. They were helpful to me. My personal opinion is that if you really felt the need to improve your child's game then I would go with some private lessons and practice on the course.  The primary stipulation here is that your child has to to be the one who wants to improve their game.  I'm not saying you can't provide some gentle nudging, but most would say that pushing them into golf (or any other sport) doesn't end well.

Is your daughter asking for help with her game?

Edited by wildcatden, 05 March 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#14 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 16,045 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Where is the hating?  You asked a question and received what I believe is ideal and honest advice.  I teach many of the top juniors in the state and some of the top juniors in the world.  Heavy Hitter has both a son and daughter who will play D1 golf.

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

So being honest is hating and bashing?  I gave you the most direct and honest answer I could.

My daughter plays D1 golf and I already know my 12 year old son will follow.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 05 March 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#16 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 March 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

So being honest is hating and bashing?  I gave you the most direct and honest answer I could.

HH,

How do you know your son will play D1 at age 12?   Honest question as I thought the age to gauge a junior's real potential is 14-16?

Thanks

#17 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

My son went to the week long GGGA summer camp last year.  He is 10 but let me preface so you know where we are coming from.  My kids usually go away for sleep away camps during the summer and that is how we viewed the GGGA camp. They are costly especially if you factor in travel but in my opinion they are not that much more expensive when compared to other sleep away camps. In my mind GGGA is better value when compared to other multi sport or outdoor sleep away camps.  Last point on cost, my other child went to one of the top academic sleep away camp.. same price as GGGA.  In my mind both of them is just about the experience and learning.  

Re GGGA - On the plus side, he got really good training (more on that later), learnt responsibility (carried and cleaned his own clubs, learnt to hydrate and eat during a Florida summer round) was able to meet kids from different background/nationalities.  I think his room mates were an 11 yr from Columbia and a 13 yr old from China.  Language was an issue but all three from spoke a common language i.e Golf.

Hopefully it is obvious that we wanted him to get good training, as well as experience the intangibles of a sleep away camp.  The purpose was not to get him ready for college golf. i am with the other parents on that - you need to wait till the child is 14ish to see if he has the interest, skill etc to make it.  

Re: the training.  I think it was great, the emphasis is on drills and fitness in the morning.  Followed by playing time at Mission Inn and then of course pool time.  He came back playing better golf but it was hard to sustain cause range session are back to hitting the ball rather drill after drill after drill.

Will note that the instructors are quite accessible during the camp and after.  I have sent videos of his recent swing and got back drills to work on.

He will be going back this summer for probably a two week camp.  I have tried to be quite clear in why we send him there, send me PM if you want more info, happy to help.

I have a view on the full time academy but your child is only 10 - you are at least 4 yrs away from that decision.

#18 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

View Postkekoa, on 05 March 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

HH,

How do you know your son will play D1 at age 12?   Honest question as I thought the age to gauge a junior's real potential is 14-16?

Thanks

Cal State Fullerton is an NCAA D1 school but they aren't a golf powerhouse.  Their baseball team on the other hand has four national titles and a bunch of guys playing in the MLB.  Their top golfer has a 69.5 scoring average and their number five has a 74 scoring average.

#19 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 16,045 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postleezer99, on 05 March 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

HH,

Thanks

Cal State Fullerton is an NCAA D1 school but they aren't a golf powerhouse.  Their baseball team on the other hand has four national titles and a bunch of guys playing in the MLB.  Their top golfer has a 69.5 scoring average and their number five has a 74 scoring average.

Also a D1 program.  Not all are created equal.  Can still earn a great education and play golf for free.  

http://www.golfstat....b/M423index.htm

#20 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Appreciate all the thoughts and opinion on this thread. Apologize for ďhatingĒ accusations. Itís why digital communication not the best at times. Anyhow, at 10 no clue if they can play or want to play in college but Iím just lookin for something a little more rigorous to accelerate foundation better  I realize super expensive but I like what kcap saying comparing to other sleep away camps. Sounds like could be cultural enricher too. Again appreciate all the comments. Last q - looks like 4 week camp costs around 10k maybe a little more?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mocokid

mocokid

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128438
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postdarter79, on 05 March 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

My 7 year old is fully committed to University of Texas. Perhaps I should inform them
my congrats to Eldrick Jr. !!

#22 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

View Postmocokid, on 05 March 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 05 March 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

my congrats to Eldrick Jr. !!
Mine will be 10 in May we already registered him to Q school 😎😎

#23 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

View Postleeztz, on 05 March 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Appreciate all the thoughts and opinion on this thread. Apologize for ďhatingĒ accusations. Itís why digital communication not the best at times. Anyhow, at 10 no clue if they can play or want to play in college but Iím just lookin for something a little more rigorous to accelerate foundation better  I realize super expensive but I like what kcap saying comparing to other sleep away camps. Sounds like could be cultural enricher too. Again appreciate all the comments. Last q - looks like 4 week camp costs around 10k maybe a little more?

The GGGA website has all the costs and Grant within admission is very responsive.  You should reach out to them with queries.

I would just add that before you sign up for 4 weeks, see if that length of time is a good fit for your child, 4 weeks of intensive training is a lot for any (100 degree weather) child let alone a 10 yr old.  Most kids at the camp tend to be 12-14, my 10yr is quite mature and able to hold his own with older kids, whether it is on the golf course, lunch table or pool.  
Finally, they do have a non boarding option, look at that as well, if either parent is able to spend 4 or less weeks in Florida.
  The camp and instruction is awesome but that length of time might not be for everyone.

Edited by kcap, 05 March 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#24 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Don't let it run you off.  Lots of great info and resources on this Forum for parents of Junior golfers.  I got the same warm welcome when I joined about 6 months, haha.  But most members are very happy to help and share posts that add good substance to the thread.

#25 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

HH,

Thanks

This is a great question and honestly had me stumped.  Thought all day, last  night, and this morning about your question.  I am going to answer your question that you PM'd in parts here as well.  I don't like to talk about my kids here.  In most of my posts I rarely bring them up unless it is about something we are doing or something that has worked.  I am going to keep it that way as much as possible though there are several guys here that already know who I am and who both of my kids are.  

Evaluations, Projections, Comparisons, Academics.
Anyone can get a really good projection of where their kids are going to end up by 12 if they have been on that path for several years.  I have the benefit of going through the process with my daughter and knowing the ins and outs.  Not only understanding the collegiate process, but understanding JGS/AJGA through hours of studying to get projections.  Evaluations through what current and past instructors have told me as well as what a couple of college coaches have projected to me.  Comparisons of kids in the area knowing where they were at my sons age and where they were along with what path he is headed down right now.  Academics because he is on the path of getting at least full tuition at any state school paid for with the possibilities of more.  The Academics is bigger than what most people think.  It takes a huge burden off of the family as well as the coaching staffs at schools.  There isn't much difference in the playing ability on JGS of a kid that is ranked 200 and a kid that is ranked 300 for his class.  If the kid ranked 200 is poor academically and a coach has to give up more of his 4.5 scholarships to get that kid on campus he will go with the 300 ranked kid if he has high academics and can get 50% through academics alone.  Where he may have to give up 25%-50% on the higher ranked kid, he can give up 10% to the lower ranked kid.  Academics is a HUGE part of recruiting.  I want to add as well, though I know he will be able to play D1, that doesn't mean it will be the best fit for him.  I think his fit will be a smaller school rather than a bigger school which means he could end up at a D2.

To answer your PM because it was a good question as well that I don't mind answering here.  How did you manage two kids who play high level golf?  I don't see either of my kids on a high level.  They just play and try to be the best at whatever they do.  I don't push golf, I push everything as a parent.  We have stressed to both of our kids that it doesn't matter what they want to do in life, if you are going to do it you need to be the best at it.  Whether it is taking out the trash, school work, chorus, sports, leisure, you put in the amount of energy that you have.  If you only have 80% that day then give all 80% that day.  Golf is not something I push, it is something that we just DO.  My daughter was terrible when she picked up the clubs for the first time.  Though terrible, I stressed that if she was going to play this game, then she needed to put in the time and energy to be as good as she could be.  I didn't want her to play on the high school team as a resume sport for college.  I despise those kids who do this as well as their parents for allowing it.  If she was going to play she would put the time and effort in to make a contribution to the team.  She/We never did it in pursuit of a scholarship for college.  We didn't even realize she was going to be good enough to get a scholarship until she was a sophomore.  A college coach was recruiting another girl at the state high school championships on her team.  We struck up a conversation and I started asking questions.  In the conversation he told me that my daughter was above his level of play.  That was the first time I new she would play D1 golf.  She doesn't play at  big time school, but she does play D1 golf and I am proud of her accomplishments.  When she started playing it slowly became a passion of hers and she worked and earned everything she has gotten from this game.  My daughter was older so we put the time in to her with advice from others.  Leave the young kid alone, play in some local events and that is all he needs.  The rest of the year we let him play football, basketball, baseball.   Last year was his first full year of playing year round golf at 11/12.  We made everything about my daughter for 4 years.  My son just tagged along as he was too young at that time.  I didn't want him playing golf year round so he played 1 US Kids local during the year and every now and then he would play local events.  He loved football and basketball so he played those sports during those seasons and I didn't allow him to play golf unless it was a family thing at the course and he tagged along.  He played baseball because the other kids did it, not because he liked it.  Rambling on again.  My son is good because he is natural.  My daughter is good through hard work and was inspired by her younger brother to be as good as he was.  If I were going to do it all over again there are things I would do differently, but I would still work them the same way I did.  I put all my time and energy into her until she was able to drive and start doing more things on her own and with her coach.  I then turned my attention to the young one.

I hope I wasn't just rambling along and answered your questions.  If not just PM me again and I will answer, I am always happy to share.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 06 March 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#26 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Thanks HH.  Great post there.  In my situation I feel like my son is the natural as well and my daughter who is going to be 10 in 4 months will need a lot more of my attention.  I guess her success will really depend on how much I'm willing to help as well at this point.  This would mean leaving my son on his own a bit or allowing him to  tag along with his friends that also play.

My son does play other sports during a particular season such as basketball and now soccer, but he also golfs almost year around as well.  I understand this probably isn't ideal.

#27 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 March 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

Thanks HH.  Great post there.  In my situation I feel like my son is the natural as well and my daughter who is going to be 10 in 4 months will need a lot more of my attention.  I guess her success will really depend on how much I'm willing to help as well at this point.  This would mean leaving my son on his own a bit or allowing him to  tag along with his friends that also play.

My son does play other sports during a particular season such as basketball and now soccer, but he also golfs almost year around as well.  I understand this probably isn't ideal.

I can promise you a couple of things.  Helping your daughter will not stop you from helping your son.  This may be a good time for you to dial back events for your son and start them with your daughter.  Dialing back the golf for your son will not hurt him.  It will hurt you more than him, trust me, he will be just fine.  I gained a ton of satisfaction with my daughter because everything she did was unexpected.

#28 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• 7,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3026

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

I really liked reading HH's desire to have a well rounded kid who was also good at golf.  He is also spot on about the academics.  10 is just way too young for a kid to be anything but a kid.

#29 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

HH that's a great post with many takeaways to think about.   Whenever I think my 7YO is not practicing golf enough, I always do two things. 1.) Punch myself in the face. 2.) Remind myself that Jack Nicklaus didn't pick up a golf club until age 10.

#30 leeztz

leeztz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Anyone out there have any familiarity with the Stanford golf camps? thanks

http://www.stanfordgolfcamp.com/

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors