Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Club Corp travel membership - any good stories/advice on the best courses you’ve played?

Travel Private Golf Vacation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mccjud

mccjud

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74451
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Hey WRX’ers!

I just joined Club Corp travel and will be paying $25 (live in MN) each month for access to 200 courses in the US and a few outside.

Does anyone here have experience using their concierge to set up tee times while traveling?

Best courses you’ve played?

Is there seriously Free dining at certain locations?

I’m excited as my kids grow older to look at structuring family vacation spots near these courses so we can take advantage of some good rates!

Thanks for any opinions, ideas, advice, stories or feedback anyone has!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Jungleland

Jungleland

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

ClubCorp travel is actually pretty good and when I was a ClubCorp member it was the best aspect of the membership.  Being an actual ClubCorp member, at a country club, is the worst experience IMO however.  On the travel side, tee times are easy and they were generally very accommodating when I traveled.  Can't speak to the food, when I travel I'm looking for local flavor.

#3 act0fgod

act0fgod

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132508
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

As far as courses.  To be honest from my perspective I haven't really played a clubcorp course worth making a special trip for.  The south course at Firestone requires overnight stay there and costs a pretty hefty up charge and Pete Dye Golf Club is no longer part of the program.

Most of the courses are pretty good places that are all pretty similar.  Modern big name designs kept in good condition but often in housing developments.  I prefer a course with a bit more character.

I use it primarily as a way to play golf in places that we're already going or stopping through.

If you are looking for golf trips I'd recommend places with lots of clubcorp courses.  Atlanta, Palm Springs and Toronto would be my recommendations for a ClubCorp golf trip.

Now for dining.  You will leave paying something.  At a minimum it will be the service charge.  If you have a drink you'll pay for that.  If you have more than two people in your family it will get expensive quick.  Our usual bill is about $50 (wife and I).  We go because it's a reason to dress up, the food is like the golf courses (consistently better than average) and the views are usually great from the tops of tall buildings.  We make regular visits to Chicago and the two dining locations there offer wonderful views from the top of two of tallest buildings in a city (Willis/Sears and Aon).

Edited by act0fgod, 03 March 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#4 tjblue

tjblue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288705
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

Great service and the concierge are very friendly and professional.

Pete Dye was the best I played but as AOG said they are no longer part of the program.

Played carmel valley ranch 3 weeks ago. A great track but not worth building a vacation around.

Bedford springs was worth a few hour drive...checkout Toronto!

#5 nygbrs222

nygbrs222

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 364617
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

The Pete Dye Course in Mckinney, Texas is a great track.  If you schedule a visit to Dallas I would definitely suggest that course.  There are also numerous other courses in the area too.

#6 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Palm Springs, Toronto, DFW, and Atlanta are a few good places to visit. I have also played at PGA National which was nice. I tend to use it to add on a few cheap rounds on my golf trips to be able to play more golf without breaking the bank.

#7 Adbeach321

Adbeach321

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404664
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Getting ready to join at the end of the month.  I live in Columbus and will be able to play Firestone North and West course twice a month!

Edited by Adbeach321, 08 March 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#8 baddomes

baddomes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291683
GolfWRX Likes : 9872

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Dining you will pay alcohol+service charge+tax on whatever you buy.  Still ends up being a better deal than you'd get elsewhere.  Food is fine.  It's country club food, even at the business clubs.  There are better and worse restaurants in every city where there's a clubcorp business club.

The nice thing about the business clubs is they usually have a dedicated place for people to work, so if you're killing a couple of hours before a flight, you can stop in there, grab a place to sit (in Tampa they had little rooms with sliding doors for privacy), then grab dinner before heading to the airport.  I liked that.  

Haven't played any golf courses that I would consider bad.  All have been fine or better.  What it really does is takes out all the research you'd have to do if you were going to be in a city you've never golfed in before.  Just use the benefits finder and you have your options in front of you.  Playing for $25-$35 is nice too.  The concierge line is very helpful.  

I dropped my home ClubCorp club membership and stayed on via the Alumni Travel program.  Played 22 rounds at out-of-town ClubCorp properties last year.  It's a great value if you use it that much.

#9 act0fgod

act0fgod

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132508
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Adbeach321, on 08 March 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Getting ready to join at the end of the month.  I live in Columbus and will be able to play Firestone North and West course twice a month!

Down here in Dayton/Cinci they've got some pretty good options.  I have a view of Dayton CC from my house and it's a fun course.  I also recommend the Traditions course down near Cinci.

It's nice for you they consider Columbus a separate region with just the one course and then Dayton/Cinci are another region with 3 complimentary courses and 2 with preferred rates.

#10 Raytor

Raytor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115642
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Club Corp Travel is a good deal, depending on your opportunity to use it.

Concierge service is excellent - very helpful and accommodating.
A few of the better courses we've played this year -
Dinah Shore course at Mission Hills (ANA Inspiration course)
Classic course at Indian Wells.
Anthem, north of Phoenix
Coto de Caza, Rancho Mirage.
Legends course at La Costa.

Just tried the dining once, the University Club at Symphony Tower, San Diego - inexpensive and very good.

I was afraid that booking tee times would be tough to do...no worries, even during high season in Palm Springs.
Your mileage may vary, but it worked for us.

Taylormade 2016 M2
Mizuno JPX-EZ 17
Mizuno Fli-Hi 21
Mizuno Fli-Hi 24
Mizuno MP-25 5 - PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users