Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

RTJ. Oxmoor valley

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18460
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

I'm going to be playing oxmoor valley at the end of April. Having never played either the valley or ridge course  I'm hoping for some insight to strategy, any holes to be extremely cautious with, etc. I need to gain any advantage possible on my playing competitors   Thanks for any input.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Spicoli

Spicoli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254860
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

Don't remember all the holes, but ridge is tough.  A bit of target golf to it. Wish I could help more.  The website has a good walk through.

#3 Smooth spin scott

Smooth spin scott

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8822
  • Ebay ID:golfer1135
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

Click on the course link,,,they have Pro tips as well as pictures of each hole.  Have fun they are fun tracks.

http://www.rtjgolf.com/oxmoorvalley/
Driver -  M2
3 wood - 915f
Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

#4 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

valley is more difficult than the ridge, primarily due to driving on about 6 holes and some greens that have two separate tiers ... all holes are 'target' golf with almost no chance to run the ball on the green ... information is for orange tees and someone who hits a driver a solid 270 on avg, with a 190 5 iron or so ...

ridge:
#1 ... if you pull it left a touch, it bounds to the right to the fway ... miss right and it careens into the trees ...  miss long to the green instead of short/right/left
#2 ... is a fairly tough driving hole ... fall off ridge line on the right at about 260 and a severe uphill lie if on the left fairway side ... really hard to get it on the right side in the fairway, but if you're in the bunker, you're not dead ... can blast it down there, but you'll be in the rough if short ... bunker is fluffy (bunkers are very inconsistent with their sand)
#3 ... nothing difficult here, but make sure your layup finds the lower or upper tier, not the rough that separates them ... no need to hit a shot more than 240 as it would bring water into play ... lay up to the opposite side of the flag to give yourself some room ... green is fast from the back ...
#4 ... nothing special
#5 ... don't miss opposite side of the flag if it's back ... severe knob in back middle that makes a 2-putt difficult ... better to miss on the side of the flag and chip, or short of the flag ...
#6 ... ball works left on the green fairly hard (from the right side) ... obviously, don't miss left ... if flag is front right, putts from back of green have a large knob to negotiate ... pick a break, then double it ...
#7 ... nothing special here, but you need to add 1/2 a club to the green ... usually hit a 3 wood off tee ... blasting a driver down there isn't the worst thing in the world, however ...
#8 ... elevated tee ... deduct 1.5 clubs
#9 ... add 1.5 clubs to the green ... don't miss the fairway left ... miss long to the green ...
#10 ... if you don't like to fade it, hit a 3 wood instead of risking going thru the fway
#11 ... dogleg right with a severe downslope just past the 150 ... hit over the corner with some fade to get to the bottom or hit short of the 150 for a flat lie ... choose one or the other, cause if ball doesn't go all the way to the bottom, it's a severe downhill lie from fway
#12 ... short par 5 that is downhill all the way ... tee it high and let if fly ... miss right of the green rather than left ... if you hook it into the trees, i've rarely seen one that didn't make it to that 2nd fway on the left, so look there ...
#13 ... right side of the green slopes to the right and is faster than it looks ...
#14 ... if you can carry it 250 or so, just hit it over the bunker instead of to the right ... just don't go in that bunker ...
#15 ... fairway stops and heads straight downhill at about 240 ... so hit short of that for a flat lie ...
#16 ... do not miss opposite side of the flag ... at all cost, esp if pin is back right/left ... severe knob in middle back of green that makes it impossible to get within 10 feet if you're opposite side ... miss to the side of the flag ...
#17 ... pulled shots will hit the hill and bounce towards the fairway ... add a solid club into the green ... not as elevated as some other greens, but it just seems to take an extra club every time ... if pin is behind bunker, hit middle of green and take your chance ...
#18 ... very tough par 5 ... layup shot is to an area that is pinched by a gully ... i would definitely ride up and check this out before hitting second shot ... layups can be pushed to the right across the cart path and still have a shot at the green ... too far left on your layup and it falls off severely ... pinches in to about 20 yards there ... green works HARD to your left past the middle ridge ... if you DO hit too far left, good chance you can find your ball or that it didn't go all the way down to the weeds ... use a 7 or 8 and punch up to the right side ... plenty of room behind the green on the right for an up/down, but green is VERY fast past the middle ...

valley
#1 ... downhill par 4 ... don't miss drive left
#2 ... longish par 3 ... putts on the right side work left the whole way
#3 ... tough driving hole ... sharp dogleg right ... can hit 3 wood short of the bunkers or full driver over the tree ... can miss green left and have easier time than missing right, regardless of pin ...
#4 ... par 3 with water running around the front/side/back ... green works left ... i aim at the trees on the right side and try to hit it straight ... take a par ... it's a great score here
#5 ... not too much here ... again, hit driver over the bunkers with a touch of fade, or 3 wood short of running thru the fairway if you hit draw ... don't miss right to the green  ...
#6 ... blind tee shot ... you can hit just left of the tree over the hill and it bounds down there pretty good ... even over the tree it probably bounds down to the fway ... front green placement is sucker ... don't go for it ...further left you are off the tee, the more green you have ...
#7 ... if you hit driver, it pinches in at 260 ... too far right and you're blocked by trees, too far left and it's water ... 3-wood off tee is a good decision
#8 ... water on the left ... 3 wood short or driver at/over the bunkers ... if you blast if over the bunkers, or even to the right of them, it's safe ... left pin position is obviously reachable by hitting middle of the green ... if you do not hit deep enough into the middle, it works hard left down and towards the water and will roll off and into that water ...
#9 ... nothing special here ... ridge in middle of green ... if you hit it over the bunker and it catches the downslope of the bunker, it propels it forward a good bit ... but you have to hit over the bunker ...
#10 ... nothing special here, but long hole ... aim at the tree on the left side, near the fairway, or go directly over the edge of the woods ... better to miss right than left to the green ...
#11 ... nothing special here, but right side of green is fast towards the front ... i usually lay up short with a 4 iron (200-210), but have lately hit driver past the bunkers ... just depends ... you'd rather miss your tee shot left than right ...
#12 ... aim at the 250 post or the little outcropping just to the right if you want a decent shot at hitting it in two ... green slopes severely to the right, so miss appropriately ... little area short and left of the green that's a good spot ... if pin is lower right, might want to just hit short of the bunker ...
#13 ... tough little par 3 ... don't know what to tell you other than to hit the green
#14 ... aim at the right bunker on the left side with a touch of a draw and if you clear it, it bounds down ... even if you hit at the rightside bunker, it bounds down quite nicely if a draw ... miss left instead of right to the green ... layup should be left side as green angles to the right ...
#15 ... essentially the same hole as #8 ... but if you're too far right & far, have to go up and over the trees ... i usually hit a 3 wood over the bunkers but short of the hill
#16 ... two tiered green ... deduct .5 club since downhill ... maybe a full club ... if flag is front, must miss short ... balls works down towards the front most of the time if you hit the right spot ... ball works to the right if you hit the middle of the green ...
#17 ... most folks lay up to the 150 or about 20 yards past it ... need a 220 yd or so shot ... there's a bit of room to the left just past the 150 ... right tree line kicks the ball to the left, so a bit of a miss that way won't hurt ... green is severely fast to the front, so if you're back tier on a front tier position, it's very, very difficult to two putt ... if it's front left, impossible ... very fast on left and right side, though ... almost unputtable compared to the other greens
#18 ... if you can't fly the bunker then hitting short of it or just in it isn't the worst place ... green is worse than #17 ... if front position and you're long, it's completely impossible to keep the ball on the green ... if you're right on a left position, gonna break 5-8 feet ... must hit high and let it die ... green works VERY hard to the left if back ... bailing out short, right to the green is best chance at getting up and down, but green works VERY HARD to the left and to the front ... putts can get a bit whacky if front, so be generous with gimmes here ...

go to Saw's Juke Joint or Saw's Soul Kitchen ... Ovenbird is a bit eccentric, but casual ... very highly rated and they serve a beef fat candle that is quite delicious ... if the Black Jacket Symphony is in town, check them out to see what album they're playing ... Carrigans, El Barrio, 5 Point Oyster Bar are good eats, also, & The Clyde, Collins Bar and Dram Whiskey Bar are a few drink places for beer and cocktails ...  i usually tee off 1st or 2nd group on the weekend, walking ... enjoy

Edited by tiderider, 25 March 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#5 hrmgolf72

hrmgolf72

hrmgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491714
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

above description is very good.IMO ridge is very gettable and valley is tougher. like the ridge far more

#6 dmac4g

dmac4g

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16945
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Having played both, I much prefer the Ridge.

#7 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

Wow!!!  Guys thanks for all the input.

#8 PaulCGaffney

PaulCGaffney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488960
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

playing both of these over memorial day weekend. from the look of the courses they seem to be at a pretty high elevation. does anyone with inside info know if balls carry further there? 1/2 club, 1/4 club, etc?
TM 2017 M1 8.5° - Aldila NV Protopype
Callaway XR16 4 Wood
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron
Adams Super 9031 20°
Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Titleist Vokey 54 & 58
Callaway PM Grind 64°
Odessey White Hot XG Rossie -or- Scotty Cameron California Sonoma

#9 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

?? ... they're essentially at sea level ... it's central alabama ...

#10 smb4ua

smb4ua

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424554
  • Handicap:6.3
  • Ebay ID:stephentix
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:34 AM

If I were you I'd drive an hour and play at Pursell Farms instead if you can. Great experience and pristine conditioning. There's nothing really that special about either course at Oxmoor Valley.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

We are planning a round @ farmlimks. Any other Recs for the area?

#12 smb4ua

smb4ua

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Limestone Springs would've been on the list a few years ago but Warrior Golf owns it now and it's not near what it used to be. Timberline is pretty good. Grand National and Capitol Hill are farther away but are probably the 2 best RTJ sites. I haven't played Ole Colony in Tuscaloosa but it's home to the UA golf team and is supposed to be good.

#13 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

how long are you down for?

#14 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

Thursday-Sunday.

#15 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:19 AM

Right now, we are thinking farm links Thursday. Rtj Friday and Saturday.

#16 hrmgolf72

hrmgolf72

hrmgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostPaulCGaffney, on 07 March 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

playing both of these over memorial day weekend. from the look of the courses they seem to be at a pretty high elevation. does anyone with inside info know if balls carry further there? 1/2 club, 1/4 club, etc?

Not sure where to are from but I live 5 minutes from RTJ oxmoore and yes it’s only 500ish feet above sea level but it all depends on what time of the year you are there. If you play in the summer then the warm air will take the golf ball pretty far

#17 hrmgolf72

hrmgolf72

hrmgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostManywins, on 12 March 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

Right now, we are thinking farm links Thursday. Rtj Friday and Saturday.

A lot of people love the rtj’s. I’m not the biggest fan but if given the option a would play farm links an extra day or so. If money wasn’t a factor I would go farmlinks, ross bridge, ridge at RTJ. Never been a huge fan of the valley but that could be bc I never play great there

#18 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

I think we are going Ross bridge/oxmoor/oxmoor/ farmlinks
Looking forward to all course.

#19 smb4ua

smb4ua

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Great new lodging options at Pursell Farms too that I would check out.

I'm a bigger fan of the Renaissance resort at Ross Bridge than the RB course itself, but the 100 degree temp last time I played and the long walks to and from some greens and tee boxes could be influencing my opinion.

#20 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

no one thinks too highly of the course ... did you walk? ... the maintenance/condition get high marks, but the course layout is a bit quirky and odd, and it's not a very walkable course ... the regions open moved to greystone partly for that fact, if not completely ...

to the op, that's a fine rotation of courses ... thanks for coming down (i'm a teacher) ...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for what you do tide  (teacher).  Hoping for good weather.

#22 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:40 PM

Tide, how does Ross bridge stack up?

#23 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

like i said, its conditioning and maintenance are superb (i haven't played there in some time, so i'm assuming nothing has changed as far as quality) ... oxmoor literally has 3 different sands in their bunkers, though they're redoing them, allegedly ... ross' bunkers are usually top notch ... ross' greens are usually superb, firm and fast, & the fairway turf is tight ... the practice area is great ... could stay there all day and practice my chipping and sand play ... most holes are decent, but there's a quirkiness to some of them that i don't find appealing ... and there are long distances between some of the holes, which seems to be a trait at many rtj courses ... i pay 50 % since i am a monthly member to the rtj trail, but i'm not sure its $150 tag for regulars is worth it more than once ...

#24 TK3

TK3

TK3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25579
  • Handicap:7.3
  • Ebay ID:thomasjk3
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostManywins, on 10 March 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

We are planning a round @ farmlimks. Any other Recs for the area?

Would be a shame if you didn't play Ross Bridge in Birmingham.  I know it is quite a bit more $$, but definitely worth it.  Also, after FarmLinks, we drove about an hour and played the Judge (another RTJ course).
My set-up:
Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
Driver - Ping G400 MAX with HoF Prototype
3 Wood - Rocketballz15* with Diamana Red M+
Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
Irons - JDM Titleist VG3 4-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
Wedges - Ping Glide 50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
Shoes - Nike Air Zoom Accurate
Ball - Srixon Z Star

#25 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

Really hoping we can snag a tee time at Ross bridge.

#26 tiderider

tiderider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

i believe farmlinks is pay & play all day ... that's one reason it's a bit pricey compared to nearby courses ...

#27 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Leather for Life!!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:RI_Redneck
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

Played Ridge about 3 weeks ago and it is in nice shape. Tide's hole-by-hole is spot one for both courses. You really should hit Ross Bridge in the afternoon when the price drops. Played it last year and it's an interesting course and in very good shape.

BT
DR #1. RED Amp Cell Pro w/ ATX Red 65 TX 44.5",
DR #2. BLUE Bio Cell Pro w/ ATX Blue 75 X 44.5"
DR #3. WHITE Fly-Z+ w/ Kiyoshi White 75 S 44.5"
DR #4. King LTD Black w/ SpeedrulZ Type A 70 S 44.5"
DR #5. F7 standard w/ Aldila X-Torsion Orange 70 X 44.5" (weights-12H,15B & 2F. TW 210)
RED Bio Cell 3-4 W/ 7Q3 S, BLUE King F6 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 BO Ltd., WHITE Fly-Z 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 US Open Ltd
RED AC 3-4 w/ 7Q3 S, LTD Black 3-4 w/ Rip Beta 80 S - All at 43"
BLUE Bio Cell 5-7 w/ Speeder 757 S British Open LTD, RED Amp Cell 5-7 w/ 8Q3 S, WHITE Fly-Z 5-7 Fubuki Alpha 80 X, LTD Black 4-5 w/ Rip beta 80 S - All at 42"
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-pw Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP4 4-pw Matrix Program 130 S
Mizuno MP15 4-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52-8, 56-12 & 60-8 satin & black
PT#1 Natural Touch Macassar Ebony (rotate)
PT#2 Natural Touch Afzelia Burl (rotate)
PT#3 Natural Touch Bolivian Rosewood (rotate)

#28 Manywins

Manywins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

That's great news on the ridge course. I can only think they (ridge and valley) will be better as the weather warms. Definitely hoping to get on at Ross bridge. We are staying near the course so I'm hoping we can at least get on late in the afternoon. Worst case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors