Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

REVIEWS: Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls. Read what members say here.

titleist tour soft reviews testing

49 replies to this topic

#31 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

So I got my first round in with the Tour Soft and I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. Itís a much better ball than I expected.

I started off the round with the TS on the first hole. Itís very straight off the driver. The distance was about the same for me as the B330-RX. I missed the green with my iron shot and had to chip on. I was expecting it to not stop as quick as it did. Like all of the softer golf balls, putting seems best with a milled face putter.

Second hole I switched to the B330-RX for comparison. Lost my drive to the right. Hit 3 wood short and right of the green. Chipped on and 2 putted for par. I swapped back and forth between the 2 for the rest of the front 9 but my drives were better with the TS.

On 10 I said screw it, Iím gonna stick with the TS the rest of the way and never looked back. I had my longest drive ever on 10, about 30 yards short of the green. I chipped to the hole and it lipped around the hole and left me a short birdie putt. Next hole is a par 3 over water. I got more turf than ball but still made it over, just barely though. I chipped over a bunker and it stopped 3 feet or so from the hole. Made the putt for par and at this point, Iím loving this golf ball. Chipping with it worked out a lot better for me that what I thought it would. I did have a shot from 147 out. I hit a 7 iron that landed a foot short and right of the flag and rolled out to 5 or 6 feet past the pin. I though for sure it was going to roll on over the green but it did not.

After one round I like everything about the ball. Driver, irons, wedges and putter all got along pretty well with it. The ball appears to be pretty durable. It still looked new after the round but I really didnít hit anything hard like a tree or cart path with it. My next round I plan on comparing it to a Callaway Supersoft to see how it does. Iíll report back what I find. We had a group pushing us so I didnít really have time to take pictures but I will do so on the next round.

Edited by nuthin but a hacker, 12 April 2018 - 10:52 AM.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Stumpnav

Stumpnav

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428448
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

I finally had a chance to take the Tour Soft out for a short spin yesterday. The weather and work has not cooperated and getting onto the course has been impossible since I received the balls.
I only had about an hour and a half yesterday to play. The wind was blowing 25+ mph, so rather than go on the course, I played around the short game practice area.
I used 6 True Soft and 6 of my normal Chrome Soft X and played a bunch of chipping games to see which ones I could keep closest to the pin. Shots ranged from 3 yard chips to 40 yard pitches.
Overall, the TS tended to run out more than the CSX. It was most notable on low trajectory shots that relied on spin to stop.
On putts, the ball felt 'clickier' than my usual ball and seemed to jump off the face more.
My first thoughts on this ball are that I could game it, if I took the time to work with it and 'unlearn' my current way of hitting short shots.
I hope to be able to get out to the course this weekend to play some actual golf with them.
Epic 9.0 T800
Callaway 816 3W
Mizuno MP-53 3-6
Callaway MB 7-A
Callaway MD3 Forged 56, 60
Odyssey RSX001
Chrome Soft X 18

#33 CCTxGolf

CCTxGolf

Going to the Masters...Someday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 391812
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Agree totally with stumpnav but could not find away to say it in my review. The short shots were not bad at all just a totally different way of playing. I think Iíll stick with the higher spinning chip shots that these balls did not seem able to provide
Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

#34 Vardon Grip

Vardon Grip

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75258
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

First of all, I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to test and honored to share my review.

I was finally able to go do some testing today. I generally play ProV1's at my home course so I'm very used to the distances with the ProV1's Wind wasn't a factor at all.

Driver: Distance a bit longer than ProV1, not crazy Pinnacle like but maybe between 3 to 8 yards. So that's a plus. Does not feel harsh or range like at all, good feedback off the face.

Irons: I noticed that the ball had a high trajectory, not balloon but higher than usual, not much of a check, but not a bad roll out. I stopped a full 9 iron from 135 within 5 feet of its ball mark. (Sorry, I know that's not proper golfwrx yardage, I should've said 185).

Short Game: Anything between 30 to 50 yards was extremely disappointing, the ball seemed to rocket off the Lob or Sand Wedge, even when I was playing a bump and run shot the ball would jump and land too far and I did not see much of a check at all.

Putter: Pretty true, nothing concerning or a bad "click" pretty stable and did not feel harsh.

It's pretty puzzling why this ball did not work for me on the short shots, I consider the short game to be a strong part of my game and I could not adjust for the jump off the clubface.

This may be a good ball for a scramble, but other than that I think ProV's are staying in the bag.

#35 GolfChannel

GolfChannel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25488
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hello WRX Squad! First, thanks to WRX for the opportunity to test out the Titleist Tour Softs.

Golf 1.JPG

A little about myself:

I am 37 years old. Average height, weight, and build (Dad bod golfer). I typically hit the range 2 days a week and play at a minimum 1 round a week. I am just coming back to the game after a 5-year layoff due to work and life, before I stopped I was 1.2 handicap and have been golfing since I was 5. Through my last round, I am a 6.8 handicap. I am basically your average golfer in terms of swing speed and distances since coming back (I used to be a longer hitter, but the long irons and Driver have been slow to come back). I am still using most of my old equipment fitted for my prior swing, but I have updated to JPX850 forged irons at least from Tommy Armour V-31 EVO Forged Blades (you can check out my bag below in my signature). The driver is my weakest club I either flush it all day or duff it all day, so if I by the second drivable tee I haven't hit it solidly I go 3-wood for the rest of the round. I am above average with a putter and a wedge around the greens. I am quite good at getting up and down almost anywhere and I almost never 3 putt. I have included screenshots of my current stats since starting to play again in January. These show the last 5 rounds but are averages for all of my rounds since January.

IMG_4291.png IMG_4292.png IMG_4293.png IMG_4294.png IMG_4295.png IMG_4296.png IMG_4297.png IMG_4298.png

My current gamer ball: I honestly don't currently have a set gamer. I have been open to a lot of experimentation and trial & error since coming back to the game in terms of equipment. I used to play the ProV1X, so that is in my bag, but I have found myself using the newer versions of the Callaway Chromesoft or Srixon Z-Star more often in most rounds with the Chromesoft being my favorite of the two. I intend to get properly fitted for everything including golf ball by the end of this year.

Initial thoughts looks - I intend to take the ball out for a test drive early next week, but so far I have done some rudimentary testing with the ball in and around the chipping/pitching & putting green and have run the ball through its basic paces. I agree with an earlier poster that they definitely hit the shelf appeal with the packaging, this is not something I would actually look for or consider consciously, but it is quite evident that Titleist is trying to attract your eye and doing a very good job at it. The ball is a different kind of yellow, more like a crystal ball, not a solid yellow like the Chromesoft or Z-Star or really any high-end high visibility ball. I personally prefer the solid basic yellow since I have only seen cheap novelty balls use this type of yellow crystal almost highlighter yellow look. For me, it admittedly kind of diminished the quality of the ball in my mind even before hitting it. I wish it looked like the other balls just from a testing stand point so I could black out most of the markings so I could attempt to be purely unbiased in my testing.

IMG_4204.JPG

Initial thoughts feel - For a ball that labels itself as "soft" it didn't feel soft compared to the Chromesoft and the Z-Star but it was on par with the ProV1X. For those of you that find the sound of contact fairly important the ball was more on the clicky end than I like from a golf ball. I imagine this is due to the cover not being urethane.

Initial thoughts performance - Overall, in terms of performance, the ball performed admirably. The Chromesoft was the clear winner between my various pitching, chipping, and putting drills. However, the Tour Soft was always just behind the Z-Star which I rate quite high as a golf ball. It also greatly outperformed the ProV1X (I would like to compare it to a ProV1 since this is likely more down to me being a different golfer after 5 years).

I look forward to giving the ball a real shot after a few rounds. I probably won't update my review till I get at least 2-3 full rounds in with the ball. I also intend to get the ball on the launch monitor versus the balls I referenced above for some actual data other than my "feelings".

Edited by GolfChannel, 13 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

Driver: Callaway FT-9 9 Degrees w/Fujikura zCOM 60 Stiff
Fairways: Ping i20 3 Wood 15 Degrees w/TFC 707F Stiff
Hybrid: Taylormade AeroBurner Tour 18 Degrees & Adams Idea Tech V4 22 Degrees
Irons: Mizuno JPX850 Forged 5-PW w/Project X 6.0 Steel
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52, 56, and 60
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist ProV1X, and Srixon Z-Star

#36 ALTSean

ALTSean

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42203
  • Ebay ID:ALTSean
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

First, thanks to Titleist and GolfWRX for the opportunity to test out the new Titleist Tour Soft!  Titleist is always doing great things for WRX members and I feel fortunate to test out these new balls.

*** Disclaimer, I have intentionally not read the other reviews yet as to not bias my opinion of the Tour Soft.  ***

TL;DR version: very good ball that will go as far if not farther than anything out there.  Very durable and I played 18 holes with the same ball to include multiple shots off trees and the ball was still in good shape.  Only downside is that you will probably not get as much spin, especially greenside as a more expensive ball with a urethane cover.  I would buy this ball as long as it's in the $30 to $35 range.

Full version:
I'm a ~11 handicap, but probably playing a little higher than that since the season just started here in Maryland.  Strengths are short and putting so I like a ball with spin that is controllable and predictable.  My typical ball rotates between a Callaway Chrome Soft (previous generation), Srixon Z Star XV and the Costco K-sig when I can find them.  Basically I like a multi-piece "tour" ball with a urethane cover, but prefer to pay in the $30 to $40 range vice the ~$45+ of the Pro V1 or TaylorMade TP5.  

I received my box of Titleist Tour Soft balls last Friday.  As usual, the Titleist packaging and balls themselves look nice and look high end without crazy distracting logos that some other companies have on their balls.

I played one round last week on a course with relatively soft conditions and soft greens.  The Tour Soft was plenty long off the tee and with irons and worked out well around the greens at this course.  I had a chip in and several other good short game shots that saved par or bogey and was really digging the Tour Soft.  This course is your typical muni when I played it was soft and kind of damp as it was still cold here in Maryland.  Only after playing a second round, today, with the Tour Soft did I realize how different the balls performs on different conditions.  
Today, I played my usual course and the greens were fast and firm as they are hosting a college tournament this afternoon and this weekend.  The weather was also 30+ degrees warmer today than last week as we've finally started to get spring weather.  I still like the ball off the tee, but was surprised how much the ball would release on iron shots and with various chip and pitch shots.  The amount of release is nothing crazy and not unmanageable, but it is something you need to adjust for and play for if you're usual ball has a urethane cover.

Other thoughts, I'm impressed with the distance off the tee and how the ball holds its line in the wind.  It has a nice solid feel off the driver and with irons and a nice consistent flight.  The durability is also impressive.  I played 18 today with the same ball and it is still in good shape despite some errant shots off trees and multiple full wedge shots the cover looks good.  My only complaint is the feel off the putter and wedge as it's a little clicky and firm compared to similarly priced balls that have urethane covers.  I can see and appreciate this balls position in Titleist's line up as a step below the ProV1, but I think it is priced a little high for what it is.  I can see how people pay full price for the ProV1 due to the tour usage and name recognition, but at $35, the Tour Soft has a lot of competition from other manufactures.  I have a couple sleeves left and will continue to play them and will update this thread, but my thoughts after two rounds is that I would buy this ball if it was closer to $30 and would play this ball in softer conditions or on slower greens.  

Edited by ALTSean, 13 April 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#37 tokeyb

tokeyb

Gonna get better

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426358
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Testing temporarily paused in Omaha...0414181827-1.jpg

That means its time for some data!  
My driving range has a simulator, with SkyTrack technology. I used it over the winter to dial in my stock distances, compare clubs, and finalize my bag. I hit the Tour Soft against ChromeSoft and Project(a) to see spin rates with different clubs.

First, 54* wedge (Scratch 8620 DS), trying for my stock 80 yd shot, about 12 good shots for each ball.
(Clubhead speed, launch angle, spin rpm, descent angle, avg carry)
Project(a): 68mph, 29.5*, 7232, 43*, 72 yds
Tour Soft: 71mph, 30.3*, 7545, 45*, 78 yds
ChromeSoft: 70mph, 33.1*, 7313, 48*, 79 yds

Analysis? This is probably all within the margin of error of my swing. ChromeSoft and Tour Soft marginally spinnier and longer than Project(a) for me, but clubhead speed difference probably accounts for it?
0407181542a.jpg

Next, 8iron (Ping i200, regular flex AWT), easy 80% swing.†
(Clubhead (ball) speed, launch angle, spin rpm, descent angle, height, avg carry(total distance))
Project(a): 66(89), 23*, 4297rpm, 39*, 54', 120(127)
Tour Soft: 73(90), 23.5*, 5692rpm, 42*, 60', 120(125)
ChromeSoft: 65(89), 23*, 4203rpm, 39* 57', 121(128)

0407181601b-1.jpg
Analysis? I have no idea, honestly.
-Tour Soft appears to be A LOT spinnier, but again faster club might be the difference?
-More clubhead speed leads to more spin and better descent angle?
-I know how to carry 120 fairly consistently?
-120yds is pretty lame for an 8?
-I should definitely be using my 8 for these 120yd shots instead of a hard 9?

Your observations/interpretations welcomed!

Edited by tokeyb, 14 April 2018 - 08:25 PM.

Titleist 910 9.5*
Titleist 913f 17*
TM Burner Rescue 5 (24*)
Ping i200 (4-9)
Scratch 8820 (47*, 53*, 58*)
Odyssey White Hot Rx 9, Tour Snsr 140cc
Project(a) in 2017, looking in 2018
Right at single digits - gonna get better

#38 High Plains Driver

High Plains Driver

Chip Yipper Extraordinaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
  • Ebay ID:*chaser*
GolfWRX Likes : 629

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

OK, after a pretty thorough shake out putting, chipping, and pitching and two rounds of golf, I have some pretty firm observations.

I have not read any other reviews, nor looked at any on-line info about the Tour Soft so that I can be as unbiased as possible.

Conditions: Both rounds were played on the same course on windy days (15 mph sustained with gusts up to 30+, with the second round being in a borderline sand storm.) Fairways were firm and dry, greens were dry and firm, running about an 8 by my guestimation.

Putting/Short Game: Great feel off the putter. I like a soft, yet not mushy feel, and the Tour Soft nailed it. It feels as soft as the AVX and softer than the NXT Tour S. It almost feels as good off the putter as the PRO V1. I do not believe the Tour Soft has a urethane cover like the AVX, so the compression must be softer. On low, running chips, I couldn't tell the AVX from the Tour Soft. The NXT Tour had a slightly firmer feel and a very small amount of added run out. On short pitches up to about 10 yards, it was the same, except the NXT Tour S had more roll. From distances of 15 to about 50 yards, the AVX started pulling away from the Tour Soft in stopping power as t would hit, check, and roll out a couple of feet while the Tour Soft would run out a few more feet. On full lob, sand, gap and pitching wedges, again the Tour Soft and the AVX were nearly identical, while the NXT Tour S had a little more roll. Lob shots were really difficult to compare as getting the same speed, distance and trajectory was tough, but my feeling is that this is where the AVX is notably better than the Tour Soft.

Feel: As I said, the feel is great. Off the putter, in the short game, off the irons, and even the fairways and driver, it has a soft, lower frequency sound that would make you think it is at least a two piece urethane covered ball. It feels really soft, like the Wilson Duo, but without the mushiness.

Spin: Very acceptable spin in the short game and with short irons. The lack of drop and stop leads me to believe that the cover is a very soft ionomer. If this is the case, then it has great spin for it's component materials. Decent roll on drives and lower fairway woods and it stopped almost as fast as the AVX on approaches into greens due to...

Trajectory: The Tour Soft flights higher than the AVX. Almost identical to what I see from the regular non-Tour NXT. I am already a fairly high ball player and these fly a touch higher. It was really noticeable on thinned long irons and fairway woods. Instead of low bullets, I got a med/low trajectory with a ton of roll. They hold their line in a crosswind pretty well, but seem about average into a head wind. With a decent tail wind, the Tour Soft just GOES!

Distance: Total distance seemed pretty comparable to the NXT Tour S, but carry seemed to be about 6 to 10 yards more with the driver and long irons and maybe 5 - 7 more yards with the mid irons. Short irons seemed about normal carry.

Overall Impressions: The Reader's Digest, TL/DR version is that the Tour Soft seems to be a souped up NXT Tour S, and approaches the doorstep of the AVX. The difference between the Tour Soft and the NXT Tour S is about the same as the NXT Tour S compared to the NXT Tour. If it turns out that this is a urethane 2 or 3 piece ball, then I am a little underwhelmed. If the ball is a 2 or 3 piece ionomer ball, then kudos to Titleist's ball engineers as it is the answer for the golfer who doesn't want to play a distance ball, but is leery about using a urethane, higher spin ball with the driver and long irons.

As the weather settles down, I am looking forward to playing the Tour Soft is calmer conditions to see how that colors my observations. I played the NXT Tour S for years as a winter ball, but switched o the Tour Preferred X as I got many dozen at closeout prices. If Titleist retails this ball at $30/dz, I would switch to it in a heartbeat and not feel like I am losing out on anything at all.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Driver: Taylormade RBZ 9° w/ Diamana D+ 70S
Fairways: Adams BTY 14.5° and 18.5° w/ Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid: Adams Super Black 21° w/ Diamana D+ 90S
Irons: Titleist AP2 712 4-PW w/ DG S-300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52° and 58°
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Tour DA-12
Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred X or TP5X
Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Crossover

#39 brianmontgomery2000

brianmontgomery2000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90784
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

View Postbrianmontgomery2000, on 06 April 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

Thank you to GolfWRX and all involved -- looking forward to doing the review and contributing to the reviews!

About me:
  • I'm 56 and play in the evenings 3-4 times per week -- 9 holes walking on an empty course so will be able to hit side by side test shots.  I've been playing since 1981, with a break from 1997 - 2008 for kids and career.
  • I play Wilson Duo (and Top Flite D2 Feel for winter ball).  I'll also be throwing in Wilson Fifty, Noodles and other softer balls as well as Pro V1, Chrome Soft, and Kirkland for comparison.  The perfect feeling shot for me is the soft "heaviness" I get from lower compression balls.  I don't like a "clicky" feel or sound.
  • My setup is PING G 9* Driver on 65 gr S Flex Tour shaft, RBZ 3 HL (17*) with S stock shaft, RBZ 3 Hybrid Stiff, Mizuno MP-62 S300 and PING Gorge wedges S300 (52*, 56* & 60*).  I'll also be putting my PING i20's (S300 HS1) into play as well.  Odyssey Sabertooth putter.
  • Driver SS just over 100 MPH (up to 105 if I go after it).  Typical drive 250 -- more if drier conditions.  3 wood about 230.  6-iron is 180-185.  I hit the ball relatively high -- actually very high.  I don't move the ball either direction that much.  I prefer high and straight whenever possible!  I can move it, so I'll test that as well.
  • I play the same course -- Heatherwoode in Springboro, Ohio -- so I have a very good sense of where drives carry, what irons I hit how far, how puts break, etc.
I received the balls late last week (I have white and yellow, and that Titelist yellow is just the best yellow!)  Weather here in southwest Ohio is very weird this spring as everywhere - we had a couple of inches of snow over the weekend, but I did get out Monday evening on a very wet course (but forgot my phone at home, so no on course pics yet).  Then back to rain and cold.  Good weather to watch the Masters!

My very, very preliminary impressions (i.e. I definitely reserve the right to completely retract these comments as soon as I can get back to the course (believe it or not, there are some snow predictions for early next week and I'll be watching the Masters this weekend).
  • The Tour Soft did not feel as soft as the Wilson Duo, but I can't say that I caught any of the shots with the Tour Soft really well, so take this with several grains of salt.
  • The Tour Soft seemed to have better distance than the Duo.  I base this on hitting the Tour Soft not great and the Duo well and they ended in the same places.  That was true for a couple of drives as well as irons.  An area of testing focus.
  • The Tour Soft had a lower flight but then again, no great strikes.  I'll definitely be testing this hard, too.
  • The Tour Soft chipped and putted great!  The feel was better than Duo to me for both.  Spin seemed to be higher.
Stay tuned -- lots more coming (if indeed Spring arrives -- and stays!).

Thanks again to all involved.

Second round of testing this past week (two evenings).  Weather was nice - 60's one evening and 70's the other.  Weather here in Ohio has been downright brittle this spring -- snow early in the week, couple of nice evenings, then rain and colder with snow showers back in the forecast for overnight and following night, then back to 60's later in the week.  Variation isn't unusual here, but this has been a lot even for us.

With the warmer weather, the Tour Soft felt a LOT softer compared to my initial impressions.

Performance (distance, height, stopping, etc.) was not all that different Tour Soft to Wilson Duo to Top Flite D2 Feel.

On good strikes (and there were quite a few!), the Tour Soft flew as high as the Wilson Duo and the Top Flite D2 Feel.  All stopped about the same distance from pitch marks -- no remarkable differences.

Distances were also about the same on drives -- I'd give the Tour Soft a yard or two but I doubt there was any significant statistical differences.

Putting, chipping and pitching was also about the same for me other than the "click" of the Tour Soft (I'll discuss that next).

Feel was softer in the warmer temps but there was still the "click".

The Tour Soft felt softer in the warmer weather for sure, but still had a "clickier" sound/feel than the other two.  That click is funny -- I know that the strike "felt" soft, but it wasn't the same as the Wilson or the Top Flite.  Not bad, just different.

Bottom Line

If you like a "clicky" sound/feel on your golf ball but want/need a lower compression ball, you might just have found a low compression ball that would be perfect for you!  At the very least, you owe it to yourself to give this ball a try for a soft but clicky feel.

As for me, I'm not into the click -- I like the soft sound/feel of the Duo and D2 Feel.  I'll keep working the Tour Soft into the rotation (as the weather gets its act together!) to see if my preference evolves.

#40 pheenomz4774

pheenomz4774

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 331555
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

I was selected to test the Titleist Tour Soft balls and I just want to thank both Titleist and Golf WRX for providing a dozen for me to test. I have been very intrigued by this ball in terms of testing only because a.) I wasn't sure where this ball fit into the Titleist lineup and b.) I wasn't fully convinced where they placed this ball against the competition. A little copy/paste from the Callaway Chromesoft testing thread about me:

About Me:  I *was* a trending down single digit handicap (around 6 towards the end of the fall last year) until I had my first child and most of the practicing and consistent playing stopped. Even when I was playing my best I had an "average Joe" swing speed and didn't really crush the ball especially in this at around sea level here in Central Florida. Off the tee and the rest of the long game is where I need the most help and I've tried everything from the most premium of balls to the cheap 2 piece rocks to see where I can get help. My tendency is to launch the ball high with spin, and that can lead to ballooning issues.

What I need from a Golf Ball: The two things I need from a golf ball, predictability, and stable flight. I've never worried too much about high-end vs. low-end golf balls mostly because I feel as long as I know what the golf ball is going to do, I can plan for it. However, playing in winter/spring in Florida, there can  be days where it gets annoyingly windy. I need a ball that has a stable ball flight that can fight through the wind a little bit.

Tour_soft.jpg

My Testing: I was able to get out to the course later on the Saturday afternoon and with me I bought what I think the Titleist Tour Soft will most likely be competing against, I bought a dozen Taylormade Project (a) as well as Srixon Q Star Tour. My goal was to find balls in the $30 range that I would think is aimed at mid-handicappers who are starting to be able to feel the golf ball but don't want to spend the extra cash on a premium ball.

Short Game Area: I did some initial chipping and putting at the short game area. What I noticed is that there wasn't a great difference in the initial feel between the Project (a) and the Titleist Tour Soft even though the Project (a) is a multi-layer 3 piece Urethane ball. The performance of short chips though did have a difference. I found a lot more grip off the wedge with the Project (a) than with the either of the Q Star Tour or the Tour Soft. Again I play a soft insert putter so they all felt soft and rolled pretty well. So I appreciated the feel of the Tour Soft a lot, but wanted to get it on the course for a true "performance"

Course 4/14/2018: I was largely surprised that the Tour Soft held up so well both off the driver and the irons. Depending on the swing, the Tour Soft would outperform in distance and straightness from both the Project (a) and the Q Star Tour (which I ended up not liking at all). For example, on the first hole with the wind, the Tour Soft out drove both by about 13 yards according to my watch GPS. In addition, I was also able to stop an 8 Iron within 1 foot  with the Tour Soft. The Q Star Tour rolled off the back of the green and the Project (a) had good stopping power as well. This was mainly not due to spin, but the height both the Project (a) and Tour Soft launched. I was constantly seeing the Taylormade and Tour Soft launching much higher than the Q Star Tour, and that surprises me more because the Project (a) was modeled after the TP5 and the big claim was that those balls launched higher.

Fairway_Distance.jpg

I kept seeing a lot of good things from the Tour Soft in comparison to the Project (a) and by hole 9 I stopped testing against the Q Star Tour, I just didn't like that ball. In almost all the cases, the Project (a) launched just a tad higher and did a slightly better job in the wind. The Tour Soft felt softer (duh) but did perform well. On the 8th hole I had to hit a drive into the wind on a par 5. I liked the way both of those balls performed in the wind even though they were hit very high. I didn't notice a distance loss from where I normally carry that driver.

Initial Reaction: I still want to test a lot more, but the Titleist Tour Soft both satisfied and confused me. For a non-urethane 2 piece ball, this is one of the better that I've ever tested. For a $30 ball that's in the same category as the Taylormade Project (a), it's comparable, but without the urethane cover it doesn't work out as well around the greens. As a Titleist NXT replacement, I think they improved the ball for the amateur golfer like me, but overall I still will need to have more convincing WHY this ball over the competition or over a ProV1 for another few dollars?

Clubs

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 cljdan

cljdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258574
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Like others I want to thank Golf WRX and Titleist for the opportunity to test these balls.  I am going to use this as a placeholder until I can get my review posted.  Unfortunately I've been on the road for work and will be until next week.  If the weather cooperates I'll give the balls a spin next weekend  and report initial impressions back here.
Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver w/Fujikura 757 XStiff
Taylormade 2017 HL 3W 16.5
Ping I20 Hybrids 17 & 20 Stock Stiff
Ping IE 1 5-PW White Dot w/Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10S & 58.12K

#42 tj7644

tj7644

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53318
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Here's my second review after further testing.   I'll be brutally honest, nothing changed from my initial assessment, just further cemented my opinion.  I was comparing it to my Pro V1 ball.

1)  This is not a premium ball, and does not perform like one.  
2)  Is it soft?  Yes.   Feels great off the putter face, and around the greens.
3)  Does it spin enough to check, for me no it doesn't.  On a full short iron shot with a gap wedge, I would still end up with 3-4 ft of roll out when my current ball would drop and stop or spin back 1-2 ft.
4)  This ball did not perform well for me in the wind.   It did not hold it's line thus affecting distance and direction.
5)  Distance in calm conditions were actually fairly comparable to my current ball.
6)  The cover of the ball held up nicely.   Didn't scuff or scratch much.
Callaway Epic, rogue
Callaway Rogue, 15, rogue max
Callaway Epic hybrid, 19 deg
Srixon Z 565, 5-AW
Callaway MD3, 54
Callaway MD4, 58
Callaway Forged 60
Odyssey Tank O works #1

#43 Shades234

Shades234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

The weekend is here! Time for some ball testing over the next couple of days :golfer:
Titleist 917D3 8.75 - Accra Tour Z X465 M5
Titleist 917F2 14.25 - Paderson KG Fairway KG860-F40
TaylorMade 2017 M1 H 19 - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 95 Hybrid X
Miura CB-501 4-9 - Oban CT-115X
Vokey SM6 48F, 52F, 56S, 60S - Oban CT-115X
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#44 KillerBgolfer

KillerBgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87994
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

I finally have a couple of rounds in with them, so here goes:

I'm 43 years old and have been golfing for 25 years. I'm a 6 handicap, hit a high draw and can work it when I need to. I usually drive it about 260 yards, 150 for a 7i. My game is generally sound all around, but I'd say driving and iron play are my strengths. For the last few years I've played the Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro V1, and Snell MTB. I do want to say thank you very much to GolfWrX and to Titleist for the opportunity to test. I was also impressed that they sent an entire box to test, and not just a sleeve. I do play other Titleist clubs (hybrid and putter) and have used a lot of their products in the past.

Weather has been extremely wet here lately, even for the PNW. I played twice this week. Temps were in the high 50s and sunny, with standing water in places on the course. Overall though these were tested on beautiful spring days in the PNW.

For my review:

PUTTING: the balls feel good coming off the putter but I had a terrible time with distance control. Putting and chipping were the worst attributes for me. If I was able to use these for 10+ rounds I might be able to figure it out, but I was averaging 2+ putts per hole for the time I tested them. No explanation why, just my observations. I had been keeping my putts per round in the 29-34 range previously.

CHIPPING: I also struggled here with these. They do not stop and spin the way a Chrome Soft, Snell MTB, or ProV would. (Maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples?) I think if you used them for awhile, and got used to rollout and adjusting your chipping style you could figure it out. But I struggled. I tried adjusting to using my lob wedge instead of my 56* or 50* wedges, but that didn't help much.

IRON PLAY: I thought the TS performed well here. Full shots went comparable distances to my current ball (Callaway CS). The ball felt hot off the iron face, and hitting knock downs wasn't that difficult. It was more difficult to work the ball, which isn't unexpected for this category. It was not impossible to work it, you just had to realize it wasn't going to move a ton. On full shots the ball would check pretty well and stay within 10 feet of where it landed. I hit a pretty high iron trajectory anyway, so this wasn't much of a problem. I could back up a couple of wedge shots from a tee, but I could not from the fairway. Wedge shots off the fairway would land and stop within 5 feet. Again distances were comparable to my current ball.

DRIVER and WOODS: Again the ball felt hot off the face, which I liked. Distances were good, even in these wet conditions. Off driver and woods, the TS might be a little longer than my current ball, but not often enough or in a significant manner that it was clearly observable.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The balls seemed to wear pretty well. You could get a round or more out of one ball pretty easily. When I was playing Titlleist exclusively, I used the Pro V1 during the summer, and the NXT Tour S during the winter when the greens were softer. That could be a good place for this ball, but at this price point ($38 dollars/doz from the Titleist website) I would pay the difference for the Callaway CS or buy last years Pro V1 ($39/doz in my pro shop) and get the results I want chipping and putting. They might be a good option if someone likes the softer feel and the spin around the greens aren't an issue for their game. During the summer on hard greens though these would be a problem for me.

If I think of anything else I'll continue to add to this post. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again to WRX and Titleist for the opportunity. I hope you found this review helpful.

#45 awtryau89

awtryau89

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23272
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

View Posttj7644, on 19 April 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Here's my second review after further testing.   I'll be brutally honest, nothing changed from my initial assessment, just further cemented my opinion.  I was comparing it to my Pro V1 ball.

1)  This is not a premium ball, and does not perform like one.  
2)  Is it soft?  Yes.   Feels great off the putter face, and around the greens.
3)  Does it spin enough to check, for me no it doesn't.  On a full short iron shot with a gap wedge, I would still end up with 3-4 ft of roll out when my current ball would drop and stop or spin back 1-2 ft.
4)  This ball did not perform well for me in the wind.   It did not hold it's line thus affecting distance and direction.
5)  Distance in calm conditions were actually fairly comparable to my current ball.
6)  The cover of the ball held up nicely.   Didn't scuff or scratch much.

You nailed it for me as well. I have been able to get more rounds in with the Tour Soft. For casual afternoon 9 holes or rounds I am in more practice mode, this ball is fine. I would never put it in play for a serious round though. Could it perform just as well as other balls, possibly but I don't think it holds up as well against true premium balls. I would not trust it on shots I need to stop and therein lies the issue. That doubt in my mind would hinder the performance for me even more.

#46 Davethegolfer

Davethegolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151705
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostGolfChannel, on 13 April 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hello WRX Squad! First, thanks to WRX for the opportunity to test out the Titleist Tour Softs.

Attachment Golf 1.JPG

A little about myself:

I am 37 years old. Average height, weight, and build (Dad bod golfer). I typically hit the range 2 days a week and play at a minimum 1 round a week. I am just coming back to the game after a 5-year layoff due to work and life, before I stopped I was 1.2 handicap and have been golfing since I was 5. Through my last round, I am a 6.8 handicap. I am basically your average golfer in terms of swing speed and distances since coming back (I used to be a longer hitter, but the long irons and Driver have been slow to come back). I am still using most of my old equipment fitted for my prior swing, but I have updated to JPX850 forged irons at least from Tommy Armour V-31 EVO Forged Blades (you can check out my bag below in my signature). The driver is my weakest club I either flush it all day or duff it all day, so if I by the second drivable tee I haven't hit it solidly I go 3-wood for the rest of the round. I am above average with a putter and a wedge around the greens. I am quite good at getting up and down almost anywhere and I almost never 3 putt. I have included screenshots of my current stats since starting to play again in January. These show the last 5 rounds but are averages for all of my rounds since January.

Attachment IMG_4291.pngAttachment IMG_4292.pngAttachment IMG_4293.pngAttachment IMG_4294.pngAttachment IMG_4295.pngAttachment IMG_4296.pngAttachment IMG_4297.pngAttachment IMG_4298.png

My current gamer ball: I honestly don't currently have a set gamer. I have been open to a lot of experimentation and trial & error since coming back to the game in terms of equipment. I used to play the ProV1X, so that is in my bag, but I have found myself using the newer versions of the Callaway Chromesoft or Srixon Z-Star more often in most rounds with the Chromesoft being my favorite of the two. I intend to get properly fitted for everything including golf ball by the end of this year.

Initial thoughts looks - I intend to take the ball out for a test drive early next week, but so far I have done some rudimentary testing with the ball in and around the chipping/pitching & putting green and have run the ball through its basic paces. I agree with an earlier poster that they definitely hit the shelf appeal with the packaging, this is not something I would actually look for or consider consciously, but it is quite evident that Titleist is trying to attract your eye and doing a very good job at it. The ball is a different kind of yellow, more like a crystal ball, not a solid yellow like the Chromesoft or Z-Star or really any high-end high visibility ball. I personally prefer the solid basic yellow since I have only seen cheap novelty balls use this type of yellow crystal almost highlighter yellow look. For me, it admittedly kind of diminished the quality of the ball in my mind even before hitting it. I wish it looked like the other balls just from a testing stand point so I could black out most of the markings so I could attempt to be purely unbiased in my testing.

Attachment IMG_4204.JPG

Initial thoughts feel - For a ball that labels itself as "soft" it didn't feel soft compared to the Chromesoft and the Z-Star but it was on par with the ProV1X. For those of you that find the sound of contact fairly important the ball was more on the clicky end than I like from a golf ball. I imagine this is due to the cover not being urethane.

Initial thoughts performance - Overall, in terms of performance, the ball performed admirably. The Chromesoft was the clear winner between my various pitching, chipping, and putting drills. However, the Tour Soft was always just behind the Z-Star which I rate quite high as a golf ball. It also greatly outperformed the ProV1X (I would like to compare it to a ProV1 since this is likely more down to me being a different golfer after 5 years).

I look forward to giving the ball a real shot after a few rounds. I probably won't update my review till I get at least 2-3 full rounds in with the ball. I also intend to get the ball on the launch monitor versus the balls I referenced above for some actual data other than my "feelings".
Hi - can you tell me what software or app this is. Thanks Dave

#47 DJ412

DJ412

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131740
  • Ebay ID:DarlH412
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

The weather finally cooperated and I got some on course testing in.

Driver/fairway. Felt hot off the face of both.  Distance was comparable between the Titleist Tour Soft and my usual Callaway Super Soft.

Irons.  Again felt incredible off the face of my S55s.  Again distance was on par with the Callaway.  Seeing a trend?

Wedges.  Guess what?  Felt great. Spin seemed the same as the Callaway. Spent most of my time hitting wedges and putting.  25-50 yard pitches landed and rolled out about 10 feet.  Pretty standard for me. 5-25 yard pitches rolled out a bit less if I clipped them clean.   75+ hit and pretty much stayed in the pitch mark on the punched greens.

Putting.  Felt good on sweet spot hits. More clicky on "mis hits" versus the super soft.  Distance control seemed better on the Titleist vs the Callaway.  I made a lot of putts with the Titleist yesterday.  

First time out conclusion...

Great ball. Right up there with the Super Soft.  Much better than the previous DT Trusoft.  With that said and with only 1 round with it, why would I pay another $1/ball for a Titleist when there is the Callaway?
Ping G30 9* - Tour 65
Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
Ping G Crossover - KBS C Taper Lite
Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
Ping Sigma G Shea H w/ PP62

#48 JJPIV

JJPIV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282175
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

After another week of playing the True Soft, I feel confident addressing some of my initial thoughts.  This is a good golf ball, but the lack of green side spin would keep me from playing it in a serious match or tournament.  I have confidence this ball will perform with every club in my hand, except a wedge.  I definitely plan on using them until I lose them all, but for me, they are better suited to after work practice rounds than a Saturday skins game.  

Driver/woods- No difference in distance.  The ball went where I expected it to based on quality of the swing.  I did find the flight a little straighter, not that it hit every fairway but less spin caused it to curve less.  I play a slight fade off the tee and this ball just tended to stay on the line it started on.

Irons-  Possibly a little more distance, not as much as I originally thought.  The weather played more of a factor in my initial testing, which is why I held off on any claims.  I did have some issues in the wind.  A few days I played were very windy, gusting over 20, and the ball didn't play as expected.  Into the wind and especially in a cross wind the ball was affected and moved more on iron shots than I am used to with the TP5X.  In cross winds, I like to take an extra club and hold the ball into the wind.  I found the True Soft to work into, hit the wind, move back the other way with the wind and just drop out of the sky.  One other issue I had was on thin shots with short and mid irons.  Not the really bad shots, but the ones caught a groove low.  Typically with a TP5X or Pro V1, the ball flights lower and still has enough spin to hold the green and be a good shot.  With the True Soft I found these to run to the back of the green.

Wedges-  This is where I had the biggest issue.  Originally I thought I just couldn't spin them around the greens, which isn't all true.  You have to elevate the ball to control it around the greens.  Most shots around the green I like to play the ball off my back foot and hit low shots that check and release to the hole.  With the True Soft there was no check, just release.  If you play bump and runs with PW or short irons, you shouldn't have any issues controlling the ball.  The other issue I found was that the ball limits your options around the green with the lack of spin.  When I was short sided, even the shots that I felt I clipped just right, would just release well past the pin.  For example, #5 at my club is a par 4 with a green you cannot go long on, as it is steep back to front.  Back to back days I went long in basically the same spot.  With the Tour Soft, I thought I hit a great shot, popped it straight up and carried it just on the green and found it rolled out all the way to the front.  The next day with a TP5X, clipped it clean, it checks and releases right to the pin for a tap in par.  I never felt comfortable knowing I could put enough spin to get it close on the short shots you have to be creative on.

Putting- No difference, I do like the soft feel.

Summary-  If you already play a premium ball, there isn't really a reason to switch to these.  If you played the NXT Tour or Tour S, this is an improvement.  If you play something else, these are definitely worth a try. The soft feel is great on all clubs, especially the driver and putter.
M1 440 9.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
M1 3 Wood, Tensei Pro White 70TX
M1 5 Wood, Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
816 H2 3 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 52, 58
Cameron Mid-Slant Newport

#49 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

I think the description of soft but not mushy feeling is right on for this ball. I got another round in on a very windy day and once again liked what I saw. Itís very good ball in the wind. I could see playing this ball every round.
Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

#50 GolfChannel

GolfChannel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25488
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Review Update:

Background: Full disclosure, I try to be unbiased, but my experience with the Tour Soft was not a good one. I put in 4 full rounds with the Tour Softs against my normal gamers (2 rounds against the Z-Star & 2 rounds against the Chromesoft). This does not include my various range sessions with the ball since receiving them against my normal rotation of Chrome Soft, Z-Star, and ProV1X.

Positives: I am sure the focus in the creation of the Tour Soft is a ball that is in that NXT price/customer range but could compete against the $40 & up balls in terms of on-course performance. This was especially evident from wedge distance. In that regard, Titleist did a great job. The Tour Soft was consistently one of the better performers from any distance that put a wedge in my hand. There was enough spin that the ball sometimes even outperformed the Z-Star from wedge distance.

Negatives: First, the feel and sound of a ball are quite important to me. For me, neither of the sound or feel were good in spite of the Tour Soft's wedge performance. I hate "clicky" balls. The Tour Soft is quite clicky. A clicky ball isn't necessarily bad for an insert putter, but the feel off woods & irons just doesn't inspire confidence in my game. Even on the range I will typically leave the clicky hollow feeling balls for the next gal or guy.

Second, I fought a push fade anytime I hit a long club with these. I just had no confidence in the ball outside of 100 yards. I don't know what it was, it could be me, but I tried to do a good job of rotating the balls in terms of hitting them first and second. Admittedly, this whole experience could have been a case of confirmation bias, but I am pretty thorough and open-minded.

Third, despite their wedge performance, they just weren't long for me compared to either the Chromesoft or the Z-Star, and I expected a "harder" ball to produce better numbers in terms of length with the driver. Even knowing my driver problems from other posts on the forum, the difference in length was present in my 3 wood and pretty much every other club in the bag.

Up next: I still intend to get these on the launch monitor for some unbiased performance numbers. Again, I don't want this to be a case of confirmation bias where from the first round I gamed these they just left a horrible taste in my mouth. There is definitely a market for these balls, but I'm not it. When I am done testing if anyone wants the remaining balls and is willing to cover shipping I will gladly forward them to a fellow WRX'r rather then let them go to waste.

Edited by GolfChannel, 23 April 2018 - 12:18 PM.

Driver: Callaway FT-9 9 Degrees w/Fujikura zCOM 60 Stiff
Fairways: Ping i20 3 Wood 15 Degrees w/TFC 707F Stiff
Hybrid: Taylormade AeroBurner Tour 18 Degrees & Adams Idea Tech V4 22 Degrees
Irons: Mizuno JPX850 Forged 5-PW w/Project X 6.0 Steel
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52, 56, and 60
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist ProV1X, and Srixon Z-Star

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with titleist, tour soft, reviews, testing

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors