Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

4 yr old daughter, want her to love golf

31 replies to this topic

#1 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2328

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Any advice on getting her involved and not ruining it?

I currently bought her some clubs and take her to the range and course with me.

She likes to hit 1-3 shots then explore the environment.  E.g. yesterday we found 3 turtles, 10 ducks, flowers, etc.  I pretty much just let her do her thing.

Driver: Ping G400Max 9 Tour DI 7
3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/20 Blueboard
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW Tour V
Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S; SM5 60K DG
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX Rossie Putter
Ball: Titleist AVX
Grips: Grip Master Leather

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 KBong

KBong

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

Make sure she has Korean girlfriends and Korean God parents....that should increase the probability of her liking golf by about 1000%. :taunt:

#3 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

View PostgatorMD, on 27 February 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

She likes to hit 1-3 shots then explore the environment.  E.g. yesterday we found 3 turtles, 10 ducks, flowers, etc.  I pretty much just let her do her thing.

If you don't want to ruin it, just keep letter her do the area bolded/underlined above.  4 is very young.  I have a 4/YR daughter too and she isn't even ready for the range yet let alone the course. She has zero interest in golf. I hope to introduce her to the game as she gets older, but only if she wants it.

#4 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24608

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Make everything about the fun and not about the golf.  Let her drive the cart, get ice cream afterwards, never criticize and if she doesn't want to play, don't push it.

#5 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7380

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

Golf cart is huge, so is the searching for animals

Didn't work with my girls though

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5i Altus
Ping s55 6 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

#6 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Not to sound like debbie downer, but be careful with the carts.  I've heard about and witnessed kids getting hurt driving carts and being innocent bystanders.  I personally don't let my kid drive a cart and always try to take the key with me if the cart is unattended.

#7 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View Postkekoa, on 27 February 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

Not to sound like debbie downer, but be careful with the carts.  I've heard about and witnessed kids getting hurt driving carts and being innocent bystanders.  I personally don't let my kid drive a cart and always try to take the key with me if the cart is unattended.

will do, she is a little say, OCD, about car/driving safety so I think we are good here.  E.g. we have to make sure everything is secure before she will even let me turn the key back on.  She's like daddy is ur putter in the bag, ok, we can go.  As u can imagine she is not happy that there isn't a seat belt...  

Also she lovessssssss filling divots so now we are the divot repair team.  Literally we have to use ALL the sand in the cart prior to leaving the course.

#8 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 27 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Golf cart is huge, so is the searching for animals

Didn't work with my girls though

yeah, I'm legitimately worried she won't like it and I will be super sad as I imagine us golfing till I'm incapacitated.  So far she seems mildly interested

#9 Golf Dino

Golf Dino

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489058
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostgatorMD, on 27 February 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

View Postcardoustie, on 27 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Golf cart is huge, so is the searching for animals Didn't work with my girls though
yeah, I'm legitimately worried she won't like it and I will be super sad as I imagine us golfing till I'm incapacitated. So far she seems mildly interested

I do not know you or your daughter.  I do not know what your daughter responds to and what seems to interest her, but for what it's worth, my daughter took to golf as did my son.  The difference was that my son just loved golf for the opportunity to explore sport and trying to learn new skills.  I daresay that initially, my daughter was first interested in golf because her mother and I both were and I think that she was initially seeking a form of approval from us.

Seeing that, what we managed to do was put them both in some kids golf camps, I also took her out for a golf outing a few times.  We went to a course that was quieter and we also took time to smell the flowers, watch the birds, the frogs in the ponds, etc.  During those outings, she and I talked about how golf courses play a big part in today's environment and ecosystems.   They offer nice big open spaces for a variety of creatures and animals that like the big ponds and waterways -- ducks, heron's, frogs, the odd moose, and deer.  The nearby trees offered plenty of nesting sites for the songbirds, the ponds and their cattails and multitude of insects were important for smaller birds like swifts, and other insects like dragonflies.  Then as dusk approached, the bats would start to emerge.

I don't mean to turn this into a National Geographic advert, but my daughter was very interested in it and she started connecting the importance of a good golf course to a better environment.  That was another motivation for her to get out and practice and play.  I taught her the basics to golf ...grip posture, takeaway and downswing basics.  She was pretty competent at it, but she was never going to be a budding LPGA or collegiate player ... but she did develop the confidence and skills to play the game, enjoy the outdoors and has matured into a fine young woman who plays golf recreationally and has become an advocate for golf courses as important green spaces in our communities.

Anyway, just my experience.  I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that maybe there was something in it that you could find useful or perhaps "twig" a thought as to how you can further engage your daughter.  Regardless, the single piece of advice I could share is to enjoy the journey as much as possible!

#10 Smpear

Smpear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139765
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Don’t worry or get discouraged. You have to be patient. It took my son until 15 before a switch flipped and he became passionate. Until then just keep her involved in a non stressful way.

Showing her the golf outfits in the store might help too. �

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wkndhack

wkndhack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Mine is 5. I've been just trying to work on golf exposure for her without forcing it. She has a set of kids clubs that she can't really swing yet. She will take a couple cuts in the yard with whiffle balls and when she gets bored or frustrated she plays range picker in her Power Wheels. We will putt on my mat in the basement. She will watch a few minutes on TV at a time. I make sure she sees the LPGA on TV and not just the men.

Jason Day had some good advice in GD article a few years back. Don't push too hard, don't be afraid to leave a mostly full bucket at the range if they get cranky, give enough swing tips to make sure they are safe without overdoing technique, make sure they always leave the range or the course happy.
Cobra Fly-Z Oban Isawa Red 65-04
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra Forged Tec Black One 4-GW AMT S300
Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB8
Srixon Q-Star Tour

#12 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 345

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

As much as I tried, my daughter did not catch the golf bug.  We put her in a couple of summer golf programs, but she preferred singing, dancing and acting.  My advice would be, she is four.  Make it about having fun.  She will decide it it's something she wants to pursue.  If she does, great.

I never got to caddy for my daughter in any junior tournaments, but I got to see her perform some great roles.  She's a Theater major in college now, has no interest in golf, and I could not be any prouder of her!

#13 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

thanks for all the comments..... ithink she's going the way of oldpalchamp's daughter currently.

#14 Tasals

Tasals

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378710
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I was sorta into golf as a kid, then some really old crotchety members ruined the game for me at my dads club range. I eventually picked golf up in my 20s. Im on this forum so, you can guess I am pretty hooked. It just took my dad inviting me out because they needed a fourth. As a kid I mostly just wanted to hit a driver and then look for animals as well, and sand shots, I was super into sand shots.

I meet guys my age still who get invited out by their dads and then get hooked after having no interest in golf. It might take a later in life invite for fathers day for a range session and an executive course.

Edited by Tasals, 28 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#15 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2355

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

When my daughter was 4 she hated golf. Mostly because it was something Daddy watched on TV.

But I got her some clubs and she started hitting some in the back yard.

I introduced her little by little. Now, 5 years later I have a 9 year old that still hates golf.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#16 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17516

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

View PostgatorMD, on 27 February 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

A very good friend of mine's daughter is 20 years old and on her 3rd year on the LPGA Tour. I remember when she was little, we would be playing golf, she'd hit her shot then run over to the ponds/woods and check out the frogs, turtles, bugs, flowers, and what not.

She "played" while she played. :-)
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#17 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 766

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Good luck - so far my own daughter is in high school and has a teeny bit of interest.

To be clear - she has been in the cart with me and wife since she was 1 month old; we belong to 2 very nice clubs in our area.  We have played golf as a family all around the world; and been to Pebble together.  She has run around, chased the ducks, got a snack at the turn and loves to sit in the cart or drive it.  She has had lessons and play groups; and blah blah blah - and has met or played with several pro golfers and walked in our group in a pro am; worked a US Open and golf tournament volunteer...even spent an afternoon with Natalie Gulbis...and NO great love for golf for all of our effort.  :(

Nevertheless - last year on her own - she joined the golf team at school (beginners) and was content to play with 4 clubs for the entire season....she mostly practiced, but she got to play 9 holes and seemed to like it.  She has already signed up again for the team this year - and she says she might try to add a 5th club.   We can only hope!  :)

Good luck.

At a minimum - my daughter will always come and sit in the cart while I play - and that's just fine with me.

Edited by ChipDriver, 28 February 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#18 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

I'd focus more on making sure that she grows up a well adjusted adult with a wide range of hobbies and interests and a good education.

Everyone is different, and trying to make your kids into who you want them to be rather than who they want to be will only lead to unhappiness.

I am not suggesting that you don't keep trying the golf, and there are some great tips posted above, but don't define your relationship with your daughter by one fairly inconsequential hobby.
Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

#19 franklin15

franklin15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478032
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

let her figure out how to love the game. Making her love the game will only cause her to burn out, hate it and move on to something else that she enjoys.

#20 sailfishchris

sailfishchris

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151183
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mark10631
GolfWRX Likes : 384

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:22 AM

My daughter is two I bring her to the practice putting green at a local course. She mimics me rolling balls out on the green and runs all around, I got her a set of plastic clubs to play with- she chases our two dogs around the house with them ....so there's hope LOL!

Ping G400 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Ping G30 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
Titelst TMB 4i Fujikura Pro 115i
Mizuno MP67 5-PW Fujikura Pro 115i X / Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
Vokey SM5 52, 56, 60 Fujikura MCI mild
Cameron Newport 1.5
TP5X
Jones Player 003/ Jones Utility Trouper

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

Find a program in the Tampa/St. Pete area for juniors and or junior girl's golf.  SNAG golf or LPGA Girl's golf program

#22 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5194

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

I've got a daughter that age. I'd love it if she took up golf, but then again I love her no matter what she does.
She hasn't really shown much interest in golf, and it doesn't bother me a jot. She may get into it later, but I think golf itself is a sport that very few small children will enjoy as it does not involve running around and squealing loudly, and running around and squealing loudly, and, err, running around and squealing loudly.

In fact, I would prefer her to do more active sports such as gymnastics at this age as research has shown that the muscles built up at a young age are less susceptible to deterioration even into middle age. Or something like that.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#23 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 08 March 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

In fact, I would prefer her to do more active sports such as gymnastics at this age as research has shown that the muscles built up at a young age are less susceptible to deterioration even into middle age. Or something like that.

My daughter (7) is in gymnastics and is ripped... fun for her is doing pullups on the bar I put up in her doorway and rope climbs without using her legs in L-Sit.  Everything in your house will become a jungle gym.

#24 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5194

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

View Postleezer99, on 08 March 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 08 March 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

My daughter (7) is in gymnastics and is ripped... fun for her is doing pullups on the bar I put up in her doorway and rope climbs without using her legs in L-Sit.  Everything in your house will become a jungle gym.

She already uses the kitchen table to do pull-ups....
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#25 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2943

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

Tell her she's not allowed to play golf...not big/old enough yet

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#26 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

View Postdpb5031, on 08 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Tell her she's not allowed to play golf...not big/old enough yet

:taunt:  This is the best advice ever given on GolfWRX.

#27 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

First thing don't worry about playing golf with her. She's 4 and way too young to play golf. The best thing you can do is make golf Daddy-Daughter time. I bet she loves riding in the cart.  So go out and play practice rounds with her when the course is empty.  Buy her a golf bag and let her putt your ball into the hole. As she gets better at actually playing have her play scramble with you on the course.

Sometimes there is group lessons out there for young kids. If available it might be worth checking it out. The big thing is make it about being with her and she will have fun with you.  The other thing is the more she plays the less your going to play but it's also worth it.

#28 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

I have two daughters, 12 and 9.  My 12 year old loves all sports and has played them all, golf is her passion and she's good at it. She was always active when she was little so we got her into gymnastics and soccer when probably 4 and 5 years old.  She was great at both, started hitting tennis balls with her when she was 4 (the low compression balls are the best thing to happen to tennis for kids in this country).  She played her first tennis tournament at 6 and kept doing those until about 11.  Our 9 year old has a beautiful natural golf swing but could care less about playing or really watching sports unless she knows someone or the school involved.  She has talked about playing basketball for the middle school team in a couple years so we are going to pursue that this year in either rec or upward, so I'm still hopeful she will care enough to play.

My best advice I can give is let her play any and all sports or activities and encourage whatever she is doing at the time.  She will develop well rounded abilities and skills that will help in everything.  I am biased I guess and have stated it on here before, but I am a big believer in tennis helping more than anything in developing all skills, especially with developing the beginnings of a golf swing.  Both of my kids played tennis at a very early age and both have good swings that they didn't get much coaching to develop early on.

#29 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

thanks for all the suggestions.  Cheers to dad-daughter golf!

#30 ingster1

ingster1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4855
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

Just came back from our first family golf trip to Palm Springs.  My 11-year old daughter had a blast; shes got a lot of activities (ballet, music and science) but she loves golf.  Im not sure how she and her 14-year old brother got into it, but I tried hard not to push golf on them when they were younger.  About 5 years ago, they came to me and expressed interest and I jumped at the opportunity to get them into the game.  Good luck.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors