Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why is there a decline in boys high school golf participation?

high school

60 replies to this topic

#31 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17477

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

Probably because they heard the ball might be rolled back.

Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

The reason I think is because about 7 or 8 years ago there was a real decline in the economy. A lot people had to quit doing extra leisure activities this included golf.  It's just a golf thing but all activities that take extra leisure time.

If you go back 7 or 8 years ago most of those kids in high school would have been playing with their dads or going out in the carts. Since they stayed home and watched tv and and basically were given iPads to entertain them we have a huge drop off.

If the economy gets back on track and people make enough to have fun again I would expect things to pick up again.

#33 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1833

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 27 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 27 February 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 27 February 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

Wondering if there is a breakdown by geography.  There are 3 high schools in our town and they have between 150-175 guys try out for a team of 10, each.  If you're not shooting 75 or less, you sadly don't have a chance to make it.

What area are you talking about?

On a comparative basis, it seems states like TX and FL have the most interest with high school football...not sure if those seasons conflict with the HS golf season.

You have lost me as well.

Junior Golf Scoreboard lists in order the states with the most competitive golf.
1.  California  893 ranked players
2.  Texas 741 ranked players
3.  Florida 706 ranked players
12. Illinois 367 ranked players

Seems to me there is some over exaggeration going on about high school golf in your area.  Out of all the 367 ranked golfers in your state approximately 85 boy's average 75 or better and the 3 schools in your area have 30 of them.  Out of the entire state of Illinois your area has 35% of the best golfers in the state.  Not only that, your three school have a total of 450 kids trying out for 3 teams, but there are only 367 ranked golfers in your entire state.  In the Illinois State High School Championship last year there were only 4 teams through 3 classifications that scored a two day total of 600 or better, or a 75 average.  Your area happens to have 3 of those 4 teams.  Your areas must dominate in high schools golf year in and year out producing some of the best male golfers in the country.  No need for colleges to recruit in California, Texas, or Florida.  They can just go to the burbs of Chicago.  SMH

In Florida, there are no try outs.  You come out and you are on the team.  That is the way it is for 99% of the schools in the entire country.

#34 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23547

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 February 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 27 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 27 February 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 27 February 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

Wondering if there is a breakdown by geography.  There are 3 high schools in our town and they have between 150-175 guys try out for a team of 10, each.  If you're not shooting 75 or less, you sadly don't have a chance to make it.

What area are you talking about?

On a comparative basis, it seems states like TX and FL have the most interest with high school football...not sure if those seasons conflict with the HS golf season.

You have lost me as well.

Junior Golf Scoreboard lists in order the states with the most competitive golf.
1.  California  893 ranked players
2.  Texas 741 ranked players
3.  Florida 706 ranked players
12. Illinois 367 ranked players

Seems to me there is some over exaggeration going on about high school golf in your area.  Out of all the 367 ranked golfers in your state approximately 85 boy's average 75 or better and the 3 schools in your area have 30 of them.  Out of the entire state of Illinois your area has 35% of the best golfers in the state.  Not only that, your three school have a total of 450 kids trying out for 3 teams, but there are only 367 ranked golfers in your entire state.  In the Illinois State High School Championship last year there were only 4 teams through 3 classifications that scored a two day total of 600 or better, or a 75 average.  Your area happens to have 3 of those 4 teams.  Your areas must dominate in high schools golf year in and year out producing some of the best male golfers in the country.  No need for colleges to recruit in California, Texas, or Florida.  They can just go to the burbs of Chicago.  SMH

In Florida, there are no try outs.  You come out and you are on the team.  That is the way it is for 99% of the schools in the entire country.

You're reading a lot into my post.  California and Texas are the two most populated states so it stands to reason that they'd have more ranked players.

Not all the kids who try out are shooting in the 70's just the ones who make it.  Anyone can try out. You can go on to the sites and see that the varsity roster has no more than 12 kids.  Those 3 schools have more than 9,000 students combined.  Not everyone makes it.

From a scoring perspective, the IL finals are in the middle of October so weather can play a factor.

#35 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10842

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

Totally understand the focus on the best players at every level of junior golf, but yes, it's easy to focus on that only and sometimes forget that plenty of kids who shoot 80, 90, 100 show up and try out for golf teams.  Not all programs cut all the players out, some let them practice even though they may not play in meets and even of those that cut down to certain numbers, kids get the chance to be out for practice for a few weeks or whatever until those numbers are decided.  I think there needs to be a recognition of participation in a broader sense.  High School I came from wasn't gigantic, but we had a ton of guys out for golf for 3 weeks or so until the cuts were made - now once made that was it for the most part, but some of us still came out "unofficially" and played every day.  Fun times.

In contrast, sadly, to participation numbers for girls golf in our small school (very cyclical, not economy based, probably highest numbers were when my daughter was playing), our girls tennis program has huge numbers.  Only 6 play varsity, 6 play JV but there are no cuts, and all the girls not playing at a meet are "exhibition" players and have practice, guidance, etc. among themselves and the numbers are surprisingly very high. A couple other programs in the district will bring exhibition players for "meets" after the JV courts meets are completed and they play until dark in the spring time.  When my youngest was in 7th and 8th grade she was allowed to participate with the exhibition group and that helped her develop into a player by 9th grade (JV at that time) that would have never happened without the open participation and encouragement in that program.  Tennis coach is no dummy.  

However it is being done, a model that keeps kids engaged to me is better than a model that weeds out and keeps out, but a lot goes into access to courses/supervision/etc. from the school's point of view which doesn't always allow that.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 28 February 2018 - 08:14 AM.

#36 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

Golfopath

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Handicap:~9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 26 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

High School kids here don't pay a dime during High School season.  Greens Fees and Range balls are free.

Nice.  Free is good but someone is footing that bill whether the school pays or course absorbs?

The kids at our smallish HS, in a town of ~6k, pay a $100 course fee for the year which covers all play, all season, at our home course.  Not an easy expenditure for some of these parents whose kids are playing Dunlop clubs.  I applaud them.
Taylormade M1
TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
Ping i15 / Zing 2
Titleist Vokey SM5
TM Spider Tour Black
Top Flite Gamer Tour
Sun Mountain Four 5
Clicgear 3.5+

#37 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 6110

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

View Postdlc1914, on 25 February 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

View Postjollysammy, on 23 February 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Golf is one of the most expensive sports, both equipment wise and cost to practice/play.   Economy before Trump had been down.  Many teenagers spend more time on their phones and video games than they do on sports.   video games and social media are instant gratification, golf and other sports take work to become proficient.  Socially, we've been so PC about not "hurting feelings" in sports where we either  frown on competition when they are young by giving everyone trophies or we've given kids so many distractions in life.  I grew up with 3 major TV channels, now there are hundreds.  We played sports with all the kids in the neighborhood and multiple sports.  Now sports have become specialized in pursuit of "the money".   No one wants to work at anything, so we microwave food, or buy fast food, heck even pancakes are just add water.  Never mind waffles being toasted.

annualized GDP growth since 2008....... Sep 30, 2017 4.12% Dec 31, 2016 3.38% Dec 31, 2015 3.11% Dec 31, 2014 4.33% Dec 31, 2013 4.31% Dec 31, 2012 3.24% Dec 31, 2011 3.64% Dec 31, 2010 4.56% Dec 31, 2009 0.11% Dec 31, 2008 -0.92% Dec 31, 2007 4.40%
Indeed. Tables don't copy/paste well unfortunately :)

Posted Image

#38 mbs_59

mbs_59

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429122
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

Two reasons for this IMO:

1. Expensive and kids that could/should have been taught the game around that 2007-2013 time might not have because of the economic environment.
2. Kids are so good at a young age, they can see if they don't give up other sports/activities and don't commit major amounts of time to golf they can't compete.  I think this goes for all sports and when kids have to choose between 3 or 4 sports, golf gets cut out.

#39 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1689

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:59 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 February 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Kids don't know who Tiger is nor do they care.  Told my kid we were going to the Honda and needed to follow Tiger around just so he could say he watched him play.  He honestly wasn't that thrilled.  He said "I hope he doesn't make the cut then.  If he does, I hope he at least is playing with someone that is good.".

Not many golfers get me very excited but Tiger does for sure.  Some buddies and I took our kids to the Genesis and all they wanted to see was Tiger.  On one hole he even gave them all a high 5 and one of his golf balls.  It was really cool.

#40 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 980

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

$150 to the school for a shirt and hat. no course, practice or greens fees. Everyone makes the team but only the top 4 or 6 play the matches any given week. Football is $250, soccer $150, B ball $150.. Yeah i have 3 kids and they all play everything.. sigh no wonder I drive a beater truck.

Edited by Baitkiller, 01 March 2018 - 07:19 AM.

Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostBob Cat, on 28 February 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 26 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

High School kids here don't pay a dime during High School season.  Greens Fees and Range balls are free.

Nice.  Free is good but someone is footing that bill whether the school pays or course absorbs?

The kids at our smallish HS, in a town of ~6k, pay a $100 course fee for the year which covers all play, all season, at our home course.  Not an easy expenditure for some of these parents whose kids are playing Dunlop clubs.  I applaud them.

In the fall that is down time in Florida.  The courses all absorb the fees.  Our county only has 4 public facilities (2 are executive and one of the executives is a dump) and 13 private facilities.  The Golf team practices on a different private facility every week and the Clubs our gracious enough to have them there.

#42 FloridaCoach

FloridaCoach

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130199
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Lots of great points so far. I have coached high school golf for 11 years (took over a program from my former high school coach after shadowing him for a few years) in Florida for a public school, albeit in a relatively affluent bubble in a not so affluent county. While I think the expense of the game is a barrier to entry, I know how much other sports charge/parents invest, so this argument loses some validity in my mind. The availability of Lacrosse as a new option has impacted interest overall (experienced this first hand).

The one thing I have seen evolve is the deemphasis of playing high school sports overall versus “club” or “tour” events and the widening gap between competitive programs and non-competitive ones. Both are trends that I am not sure ever change. Both are trends that I believe damage the game.

The game needs more ambassadors - supportive courses and knowledgeable coaches that help mentor youth. The skills and memories experienced on a high school team transcend the sport and help form the basis for what we all hope are contributing members of society down the road. It’s not always about Xs and Os.

#43 ethanshapiro

ethanshapiro

grinder

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374155
  • Handicap:1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

I think a lot of the above reasons are pretty accurate. Golf is super demanding as far as how much you have to practice in order to do well at all and a lot of kids are unwilling to put up with the frustration of losing and not improving quickly and how much practice is required to be competitive. Not that other sports are easy, but when I played baseball and lax no one played in the winter but you could pretty much be right at whatever level you were in the spring after not doing anything over the winter. In golf, if I don't practice for 24 hours I'm all out of sync. The money is probably another big aspect. Not everyone can afford the clubs, clothes, tee times, memberships, and tournaments, and why bother if you don't like the game and how frustrating it is. For high school in particular, the post about how golf is seen as a lesser sport is also important to consider. Maybe more guys would go out for the team if they wouldn't get crap for it from their friends. Who knows. Oh well, more golf for the rest of us I suppose
Titleist 915 D2 9.5 Tour AD-DI 6X
Titleist 915F 15' (Set to B3) Tour AD-GT 6X
Titleist 915H 21' (Set to D1) Oban DEVOTION O5 65g
Titleist 716 CB 4-P Steelfiber i125x cw
Titleist SM5 50' 08F Project X 7.0
Titleist SM6 54'08M Project X 7.0
Titleist SM5 62' 08T Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2015
Titleist PRO V1 2017

#44 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

I'm in California, I've seen the economy ravage junior golf, but I also know that the economy isn't the only reason.  Most of the kids my son competes against in junior golf have well to do parents.   My son is the top golfer on his high school team, last years high school league champion.  But when he's at school you wouldn't know it.  He's quiet.  He has a closet full of some of the most expensive golf shirts you could buy.   He wouldn't be caught dead wearing one to school.   He came home a little upset one day 2 years ago when a bunch of guys were talking and saying how golf wasn't a sport, and that got him a little miffed as he gave up being an all-star baseball player and chose golf.   I told him, why didn't you tell them that you could whip all their Dads at golf?

Today kids are bombarded with easy victory from the all encompassing wonder drugs...  their smartphones and video game consoles.  Everyone is a winner, they can be king of the world, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, La Bron,  all virtually....   all fake, but at least they feel good right?

Golf takes work, golf takes effort, it is a sport that is sculpted by massive failure and occasional success.   It is the complete opposite of sports that give a trophy for everyone.   It builds character because every stroke can be glorious or humiliating.  It's like high school itself.   Why isn't every student becoming a doctor?   Why only a few go on to become millionaires, why isn't everyone rich?  Why isn't my son Jordan Speith?  Heck I'd settle for Rickie Fowler...

Psychologically I also think the decline comes at the older ages when both parents and child realize at age 16-17 they are probably not the next Tiger Woods like they thought when the kid could hit a 150 yd drive at 8 years old.

#45 Lenny7

Lenny7

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457902
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

When I was in HS, I bought a pass for $50 and played as much as I could from sun up to sundown for 50 cents all summer long.  And don't get me started on the price of equipment.  Oh, and golf is not cool.

#46 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Okay I was shying away from this topic for a while but here it goes. I am a High School teacher/coach so I think I have an interesting perspective on this. From what I have seen it is not a single overarching factor but a variety of factors.

1) As Tiger fell off so did the desire for youths to play golf. My early years teaching and coaching I heard a lot about Tiger from the kids, now the kids see him as archaic. This has led to a drop in golf as a "cool" sport to engage in.
2) Economics are DEFINITELY  a factor. Overall, high school sports are fairly economical to play with football and others subsidized by the school, for the most part. Golf is one where you have to have separate equipment that is your own unless you have a coach who has collected equipment.
3) The overall failure of the USGA and others to address the lack of options for youth golf for the vast majority of the country. For the most part kids aren't playing it unless they are exposed by their parents and we have seen golf downturn in adults in the last decade due to economic factors. Even PGA Junior League is economically tough compared to little league baseball, football, or basketball. As well, it is not advertised well outside of the golf community. In addition, they are getting virtually no exposure to it in elementary PE as they could.
4) The continued marginalization of the non-major three sports in the overall High School athletic atmosphere. If it is not football, basketball, or baseball/softball it is simply not going to get the support of the community and student body in the vast majority of schools. Other marginalized sports like track and cross country can maintain due to low cost and much smaller learning curve.
5) The high learning curve. High school kids don't like getting embarrassed athletically so you are going to get very few kids willing to come out and try golf as a new sport in high school. The growth of social media has led to pressure on kids in athletics and golf is just simply not something one can learn easily.
6) Also, in many areas the dominance of a few schools has led to many schools dropping golf and thus a downturn in participation. High money areas can dominate in golf quickly thus making economically challenged areas sometime killing the programs due to budgets and cuts and a lack of competitiveness.

Edited by BloctonGolf11, 26 April 2018 - 02:53 PM.

Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

#47 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 641

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostBloctonGolf11, on 26 April 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Okay I was shying away from this topic for a while but here it goes. I am a High School teacher/coach so I think I have an interesting perspective on this. From what I have seen it is not a single overarching factor but a variety of factors.

1) As Tiger fell off so did the desire for youths to play golf. My early years teaching and coaching I heard a lot about Tiger from the kids, now the kids see him as archaic. This has led to a drop in golf as a "cool" sport to engage in.
2) Economics are DEFINITELY  a factor. Overall, high school sports are fairly economical to play with football and others subsidized by the school, for the most part. Golf is one where you have to have separate equipment that is your own unless you have a coach who has collected equipment.
3) The overall failure of the USGA and others to address the lack of options for youth golf for the vast majority of the country. For the most part kids aren't playing it unless they are exposed by their parents and we have seen golf downturn in adults in the last decade due to economic factors. Even PGA Junior League is economically tough compared to little league baseball, football, or basketball. As well, it is not advertised well outside of the golf community. In addition, they are getting virtually no exposure to it in elementary PE as they could.
4) The continued marginalization of the non-major three sports in the overall High School athletic atmosphere. If it is not football, basketball, or baseball/softball it is simply not going to get the support of the community and student body in the vast majority of schools. Other marginalized sports like track and cross country can maintain due to low cost and much smaller learning curve.
5) The high learning curve. High school kids don't like getting embarrassed athletically so you are going to get very few kids willing to come out and try golf as a new sport in high school. The growth of social media has led to pressure on kids in athletics and golf is just simply not something one can learn easily.
6) Also, in many areas the dominance of a few schools has led to many schools dropping golf and thus a downturn in participation. High money areas can dominate in golf quickly thus making economically challenged areas sometime killing the programs due to budgets and cuts and a lack of competitiveness.

Great points and one that was probably already mentioned is that HS golf isn't necessary for college scholarships.  If a kid is good enough to be considering a scholarship then he's out there playing in AJGA or other elite amateur events.  HS golf is good for the resume but not a deal breaker.

#48 Mike_C

Mike_C

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18026
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostLenny7, on 26 April 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

When I was in HS, I bought a pass for $50 and played as much as I could from sun up to sundown for 50 cents all summer long.  And don't get me started on the price of equipment.  Oh, and golf is not cool.

When I was a kid, we had two courses in our small resort town, a very nice semi-private club, and an old-school muni.  I learned to play on the muni, back in the ealry 70s, a season pass for a student was $15 flat, and they were fairly kid-friendly. But they didn't have a driving range.  Thier rates never even went up by the time I was out of college. The other course across town let you get a season pass for golf, but you couldn't join the club unless you were born into it.  But it was not outrageous, I think $200 for the season in the mid/late 70s which still was a bit pricey to me, but  I started playing there later, but their rates did go up (now almost $2,000/season).

We always had a somewhat decent HS golf team, and I think it was because kids could play so easily and cheap.  I regularly played 36-54 holes a day as a kid at the muni, got to the course on my bike, only expenses were balls  (but I spend a lot of time hunting for balls, never really bought that many back then)  and snacks/drinks. If golf was as expensive as it is today when I was a kid, there is a good chance I would never have started.
WITB
Cobra LTD Pro 8.5, Red Tie X
2017 M2 15 Tour 3W Red Tie X
Calaway XR PRO 3 Hybrid PX 6.0 75 or TaylorMade p790 UDI Haz 6.0
Srixon Z945  4-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
Titleist SM5 52/8 Recoil Proto 110 F5
Calaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
Calaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil 125 F5
Cleveland Huntington Beach 6C
Srixon Z Star XV

#49 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2007

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

Has The First Tee helped at all?

#50 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10023

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

I've been a high school golf coach, a school athletic director, and now a school principal. I can only speak to my experience on this.

High school kids have potentially many obligations on their time, compared to when I went to school. The kids who are mostly likely to play golf are also those who are in the upper tier of academics, and who turn up to do everything - music, student council, fundraisers, National Honor Society, various state awards processes, community service (which I require at my school for graduation), and any number of other "incidental" endeavors. It all adds up. I just took a kid to the Maine Principal Association academic honors banquet. It took half the day just to sit down and eat, and get the gratuitous pat on the head by the MPA committee. Don't get me started...

Those kids do all those things to scrap for every dollar in scholarship money for college they can get, beginning almost immediately the freshman year. I got out of a heated argument recently with a parent who didn't want a detention to go on her child's "record" because it might affect her chances to get into a certain college and program. It took me a half hour to explain to her we don't send disciplinary records to colleges. :russian_roulette:
I mention that just to show how crazed students and parents are about these things.

About golf, I haven't seen the decline in my area that has been mentioned. My golf teams have remained fairly stable in terms of participation. I also think we are past the "Tiger effect," at least in my area. My golfers think he is an old fart, and less relevent. They have never seen his prime, and are much more inclined towards a Rickie Fowler or Jordan Speith than old man Woods (who is my age, fyi). At schools I have worked at, I tuck away a little money in a slush fund, so that if there are kids who want to play golf who can't afford the incidentals, I can help out with that (unofficially). I have also loaned clubs out of my garage to kids for a season if they need them. Some clubs in the area have allowed my teams to play for free and others have asked for a mild gratuity, which I am happy to pay. As far as supporting golf in my budget, if I were to ever drop a sport from the offerings, it would be about the same as poking a bear with a stick. The community will pay for sports, but not for the new math program or to put energy efficient windows in the classrooms...

I think the bigger issue is the sports scheduling. It is a huge pain in the a** from an administrator's point of view. We don't have football in my current school, but we do have soccer. The way the process works, is that there is a scheduling committee that operates under the authority of the Maine Principal's Association, which is the governing body for high school sports in my state. You tell them how many games your teams "want" and they put that schedule together. You don't get to ask for certain days, and you don't get to ask for certain teams. They hand you a schedule, and if you don't like it - tough crap. This is where participation is affected, because the soccer and football scheduling guys don't communicate with the golf or track guys, and if you want to try to play both, you miss days on either side if you are double-booked. And I get it, they can't please everyone. There is too much involved with scheduling within the sport to also try to coordinate with other sports calendars. They also have to coordinate with the guys who assign the referees to make sure that if they put a game on the books that there are enough referees to cover it. Maybe it isn't a problem in larger districts where some kids play golf only, but in more rural areas, it's an issue because it makes it harder for kids to coordinate all the things I mentioned that they have going on. Especially if you farm out your school's bus service to a private company and have to run every schedule by them in advance to make sure they have availability. :angry22:

(Bitter)

Edited by MadGolfer76, 28 April 2018 - 08:17 AM.

Callaway Xr 16 10.5/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Callaway Xr 16 15, 19/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Bridgestone Tour B XS

WITB

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Thank you sir for all you do and have done.  I wish everyone had a school administrator that was so thoughtful of the process.   You are so right, there are so many things that people take for granted that have to happen just to have a competitive sport.  And I appreciate what you say about "educational funding priorities".

#52 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10023

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postjollysammy, on 28 April 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Thank you sir for all you do and have done.  I wish everyone had a school administrator that was so thoughtful of the process.   You are so right, there are so many things that people take for granted that have to happen just to have a competitive sport.  And I appreciate what you say about "educational funding priorities".

Thank you. I do my best. Yes, the priorities come from who is currently appointed to the Board, and I do my best to articulate those against the needs of kids. Isn't always easy...
Callaway Xr 16 10.5/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Callaway Xr 16 15, 19/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Bridgestone Tour B XS

WITB

#53 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6248

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

We haven't seen as much of a downturn as other places, but the scheduling has made an impact.  

Only so many hours in a kid's day to play.
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110 +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 36"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

#54 JDollplaysgolf

JDollplaysgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459014
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

What I've found since I play high school golf, is that many people on the team don't get to play, only the top 7 or so get to play often. With this, the coach realized that he doesn't need all of the people on the team so he has shrunk down the team from 19 to 14 this past year to 12 this coming fall. This causes more competition and it makes sure he gets the best players possible... Also, your everyday golfer doesn't usually make a high school team, the average score to make the team is right around 40 for 9 with the course rating of around 35.
Driver: Ping G400 LST 7.9*  Project X Hzrdus Black 65 6.5 flex
3 wood: Cobra F6 Blue 13.5*  Aldila Tour Green 75 Tour X Flex
Driving Iron: Adams Pro DHY 18*  Aldila Tour Green 105 Hybrid Tour X Flex
Irons: Ping iBlade (3-PW) Yellow Dot, +1/2 inch  Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: Callaway MD Forged Chrome 50* 54* 58*  Dynamic Golf S200 Tour Issue
Putter: Odyssey Marksman XG Black
Ball: Snell MTB Red

#55 JDollplaysgolf

JDollplaysgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459014
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 28 April 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

At this level of high school golf, the first tee doesn't help a ton. Middle school and elementary school golf is where they are more involved because they are more focused on giving the kids a good foundation to play early in their lives

Driver: Ping G400 LST 7.9*  Project X Hzrdus Black 65 6.5 flex
3 wood: Cobra F6 Blue 13.5*  Aldila Tour Green 75 Tour X Flex
Driving Iron: Adams Pro DHY 18*  Aldila Tour Green 105 Hybrid Tour X Flex
Irons: Ping iBlade (3-PW) Yellow Dot, +1/2 inch  Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: Callaway MD Forged Chrome 50* 54* 58*  Dynamic Golf S200 Tour Issue
Putter: Odyssey Marksman XG Black
Ball: Snell MTB Red

#56 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostJDollplaysgolf, on 07 May 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

the average score to make the team is right around 40 for 9 with the course rating of around 35.

That depends on where you live.  To play on the traveling team where we are at you better have at least a 76 average.

#57 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2007

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostJDollplaysgolf, on 07 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

At this level of high school golf, the first tee doesn't help a ton. Middle school and elementary school golf is where they are more involved because they are more focused on giving the kids a good foundation to play early in their lives

True, but I would assume if we get more golfers interested at a young age, we would have more interested in High School a few years later.

#58 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 07 May 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostJDollplaysgolf, on 07 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

True, but I would assume if we get more golfers interested at a young age, we would have more interested in High School a few years later.

Junior golf participation is doing very well.  Golf at the high school level is not played at a high level until you get to the state tournament.  Even then, you are going to find juniors not playing at a very high level.  I know this thread is about High School Boy's.  I will throw one out there about High School Girl's because I know the situation and the girl's involved.  Two girl's at this particular school didn't play high school golf after their sophomore year.  They both committed early to D1 schools and didn't play their junior and senior years.  This high school went to the state championship three years in a row.  If they play their last two years they probably win one.  There was no need because the competition was bad and the courses in high school are short.  I don't agree with that decision, but it is what it is.  I think High School golf is great.  Point being, this happens with boy's golf as well.

http://www.golfwrx.c...r-games-future/

#59 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

I cant put a finger on an exact reason but some other coaches and I have theories about why participation is low and why there are fewer "good" high school players from our area...

- lack of good jr programs...theres a couple areas in the state that are producing very good jr golfers just none around here, it also gives the kids friends/peers to play golf with and those peers are as competitive as them
- time and money, its time consuming and expensive to play/practice outside of golf season
- lack of parental involvement, not saying the parents arent supportive, but parents or a parent who plays a good bit of golf is a big bonus for a kid, it gives them someone to play with or compete against and a constant ride to the course
- cool factor/motivation...kids think golf isnt cool and its a lot of walking, carrying your bag and would rather do something else
- lack of a star to make it cool...i dont really buy into this but the "Tiger effect" was a boost for golf, I think golf could use a cool, dominate person to maybe push some youth towards the game

#60 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 972

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

View Postleezer99, on 23 February 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostSoloman1, on 23 February 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Youth participation in all sports has declined in the last decade. It's not just a golf thing.

All the reasons people can come up probably apply to some degree.

The only relationship I see is that the decline mirrors the rise in childhood obesity. unfortunately, many people don't like to hear that.

NFHS.org just came out saying that high school sports participation increased for the 28th consecutive season.

NFHS likes to play around with semantics!  Participation in numbers is up but so is population.  Population is growing at a faster rate than participation.  Therefore, individual participation is up but percentage of the population participating in high school athletics is down, significantly.

https://www.nfhs.org...8-million-mark/

https://www.washingt...m=.b3f0d4f9223b

NFHS link provided clearly shows a willingness to avoid "percentage" in any form or fashion.  They simply show the total number of participants.  Washington Post article clearly shows a sharp decline in athletic participation across the board when overall population is taken into account.

Edited by Sixcat, 10 May 2018 - 09:25 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with high school

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors