Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The dad everyone loves to hate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

https://www.golfdige...-for-her-father

Sounds like hes matured - parenting is a process too

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

He was definitely overbearing in the movie. I remember one quote from him in the movie that stuck with me that went something like "I'm trying to raise an A person. I'm a C person. How does a C person raise an A person?"

Happy for them that she has developed her golf talents and him his parenting skills.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 570

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Seen her around at a few events. She's turned out great.

#4 Mrld

Mrld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410640
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Ive been labelled as THAT dad by other parents because someone once saw me giving my kid a dressing down in the change rooms for throwing his clubs (reported to me by the pro he was playing with). :busted_cop:

#5 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I am very happy to hear that they are both doing well.  I know there have been times when I have taken it too far with  my son.  It wasn't as bad as him but it was definitely was too much.  That was years ago and I was able to learn from it.

In the end, we all want to help our kids achieve their goals. if you are ripping your kid for a bad shot, all you are doing is ruining the round they are playing and ultimately ruining the game they love.  Not to mention, destroying your relationship.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1680

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 22 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I am very happy to hear that they are both doing well.  I know there have been times when I have taken it too far with  my son.  It wasn't as bad as him but it was definitely was too much.  That was years ago and I was able to learn from it.

In the end, we all want to help our kids achieve their goals. if you are ripping your kid for a bad shot, all you are doing is ruining the round they are playing and ultimately ruining the game they love.  Not to mention, destroying your relationship.

I never have or never will yell at my kids for a bad shot.

The thing that gets under my skin is bad attitude, bad behavior, not acting like a lady or gentleman, getting down on your self, negative thoughts, self loathing, not controlling their mouths.  All of those things are controllable and must be controllable to achieve success.  Their is a fine line and one can learn and teach to stop doing these things.  It is a very long process, but can be learned.  All these things is what we have had knock out drag outs about.  My boy is finally starting to mature and I am finally recognizing how to talk and teach him.  It has been an effort from both of us.  As soon as I think he gets it, he regresses.  Yesterday wasn't a good day but was able to nip it in the bud real quick on the practice putting green.

#7 Merkury10

Merkury10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492464
  • Ebay ID:Kccomet
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 February 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 22 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I never have or never will yell at my kids for a bad shot.

The thing that gets under my skin is bad attitude, bad behavior, not acting like a lady or gentleman, getting down on your self, negative thoughts, self loathing, not controlling their mouths.  All of those things are controllable and must be controllable to achieve success.  Their is a fine line and one can learn and teach to stop doing these things.  It is a very long process, but can be learned.  All these things is what we have had knock out drag outs about.  My boy is finally starting to mature and I am finally recognizing how to talk and teach him.  It has been an effort from both of us.  As soon as I think he gets it, he regresses.  Yesterday wasn't a good day but was able to nip it in the bud real quick on the practice putting green.

Amen!

#8 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

It would be cool if they did a follow up to the movie and the tv series to show where the kids and parents are now.

#9 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

I enjoyed both the show and the series. It helped me know what kind of dad I did not want to be. And I learned some about golf

#10 staffbagpro

staffbagpro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494406
  • Handicap:+6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postleezer99, on 21 February 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Seen her around at a few events. She's turned out great.
The Dad? What did I miss

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

When you look at the rules in these junior golf tours that require parents to stay so many feet away from their child and never talk to them about golf except to hand them food or water.  You realize that these rules were put in place long ago because dads couldn't control themselves during their child's play.

I've watched a lot of junior golf, I've been with my son almost all the time, often times I feel like the Lone Ranger out there because there are no dads around anymore, maybe some moms.  I've heard many boys remark that they are glad their dad is not there.  Which makes me feel funny sometimes, as I'm the only dad hearing this.

Self restraint is hard, but I always tell myself that this is a process.  My boy has learned a lot from mistakes.   Often times the easy thing is to harp on the mistakes but ignore seeing the big picture that they are improving all the time, that they are not trying to do something bad.  There is so much detail in what has to be done playing golf, I know my son has enough on his plate without worrying what dad thinks.  

The most rewarding thing I see is when I watch my son cope with problems or play smart to prevent problems.  It shows me that he's thinking and maturing, that he will be ready for the challenges in his life when I'm no longer around.

Edited by jollysammy, 25 February 2018 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors