Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Heavy Heads for light shafts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

Okay I know I know I know kids my daughters age should avoid adults golf clubs yeah I've read that and I generally believe that but then again I'm not so sure.  So In her 3 drivers we played for her very limited time she hits the heavier one better, more control, better flight oh and drives it the best. The UL was hook too much, the flynn when way to high and was very light, so I got her a Ping G SF 12 and she started to crush it for her age at least. 125ish.  Back in January I got her a Ping G 7 wood, only fairway wood she has, its the same loft as the flynn but it was dirt cheap so why not.  She always had trouble getting fairway woods in the air.  But this she hits a nice beautiful shot with it almost each time. But it always gets airborne which is not something she done in the past.  Always struggled with that club off the deck.   Only difference is weight. Loft is basically the same.

Talking to a club builder granted he could be trying to sell me something.  They told me heavier heads with light shafts is a better combo.  She right on the number of sizing up so I will probably need new irons/wedges by mid spring to early summer.  Have anyone ever heard of heavier clubs light shafts make a better combo?  Not sure I buy this but the better question is why my daughter seems to hit the heavier heads so much better, it makes me want to test her in adult heads.  Any one with similar experiences? Only other experience I have is the move from UL to flynn which was night and day difference for the better. For what its worth she a 7 1/2 year old girl, but she a pretty big kid for her age.  54" (playing 51" clubs still) 60 pounds. I think she strong for her age and gender.  Thanks for the input.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

I'm no expert, but from my experience the exact opposite is true.  My son used to play the flynn shaft with M2 driver head and you can really feel the head.  He isn't the strongest, but on slo mo swings, the shaft had some significant flex.  Not only that, but swing weight and balance are thrown off significantly by such a light weight shaft and heavy head.  We have since moved on to a senior flex driver shaft and the M4 head and the balance of the club and overall performance have improved significantly.  Not because of the head, but more due to the shaft.

I want to do the same for his fairways, but I'm not sure the benefit outweighs the cost yet as he is rarely hitting fwy woods at all.

#3 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

I bought a ladies Taylor Made driver for my daughter and cut it down to the US Kids specs for her height. She hit it fine but her coach told me that I needed to put some lead tape on the bottom of her club. He said that when I cut the club down, it changed the whole swing weight of the club. He wanted some more weight in the head to bring the swing weight up a little. I had never heard that before but now I don't have that issue because she has the Cobra Junior driver,

#4 rlaffoon

rlaffoon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82930
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

View Postkekoa, on 21 February 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

I'm no expert, but from my experience the exact opposite is true.  My son used to play the flynn shaft with M2 driver head and you can really feel the head.  He isn't the strongest, but on slo mo swings, the shaft had some significant flex.  Not only that, but swing weight and balance are thrown off significantly by such a light weight shaft and heavy head.  We have since moved on to a senior flex driver shaft and the M4 head and the balance of the club and overall performance have improved significantly.  Not because of the head, but more due to the shaft.

I want to do the same for his fairways, but I'm not sure the benefit outweighs the cost yet as he is rarely hitting fwy woods at all.

What length is the driver playing and does this affect the grip size by cutting down the senior flex shaft?

#5 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

View Postrlaffoon, on 21 February 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

What length is the driver playing and does this affect the grip size by cutting down the senior flex shaft?

I want to say the shaft is 31" from butt to tip.  I put on a junior/ladies GP mcc plus4 grip and it works just fine.

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

View Postkekoa, on 21 February 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

I want to say the shaft is 31" from butt to tip.  I put on a junior/ladies GP mcc plus4 grip and it works just fine.

You using the Recoil in the driver now? Great shaft.

#7 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

View Postleezer99, on 21 February 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Yes.  Great, but expensive unless you can find a senior or lady flex pull.

#8 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

View Postkekoa, on 21 February 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 21 February 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Yes.  Great, but expensive unless you can find a senior or lady flex pull.

Callaway preowned. Very cheap there. Under $100.  Just ordered some for both fairway and driver as tests. In the shop now but need this rain to go away. Granted how to put some money into it for shaft adapters cut down but still better than the cost of buying new.

I'm curious how the results turn out.

#9 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

When you cut a shaft significantly you are changing the flex profile of that shaft and also shifting the swing weight.  

Then you are changing the golfer's feel away from what the club maker intended.  The club will feel heavier, even though cutting off shaft makes the club lighter overall and generally it will feel stiffer.

I remember when the started coming out with lightweight driver shafts, my son couldn't feel the club head properly and hated them.  That's why he uses 70-75 gram driver shafts now, the weight gives him more control of the swing to deliver the sweet spot to the ball consistently with power.

Every 1/2 inch you lop off changes the swing weight to be 2 swing weights heavier, my son could feel a 1/2 swing weight difference, most golfers will feel 2 SW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors