Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thomas: Raucus crowds becoming 'completely unacceptable'


1262 replies to this topic

#61 Birdie Mac

Birdie Mac

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490658
  • Joined: 01/10/2018
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostBirdie Mac, on 21 February 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

I get where he's coming from, but in all fairness... almost all other major sports, the athletes are dealing with loud insane crowds the entire time. The only difference in golf, they can be a little closer to you then say... football. Some baseball player has to concentrate on hitting that 95mph fastball in game 7 of the World Series with 60,000 people yelling at the top of their lungs in the bottom of the 9th? What's the difference?

It kind of feels & sounds like a kid complaining who's had the luxury of being the best and getting everything he wants his whole life, just the way he wants it. Now that something like this is out of his control... he's lashing out a bit. Fairly lame thing to complain about when you're talking about hole 16 at WMO. Something like that would never happen on hole 72 of the Masters, for example.


Strange way to look at it.   Of course Augusta gets it right.  But what about Torrey pines ?  Or last week at Riviera ?  Plenty of yelling there. Even Rickie Fowler complained about 16 at WM and they love him on that hole. It's all swirling around the bowl from a manners and respect point of view. When someone like Labron is a role model for all things not just b ball we have issues.

Interesting quote. I'm not a huge LeBron fan, but he seems to be a decent guy. Married his high school sweetheart, very active in the community, gives to charity, contributes through his foundation, has provided thousands of scholarships, etc. What's your issue with him? Off topic, but just curious.

No way to elaborate on most points without breaking forum rules.  

But think me me me.  Lazy lazy lazy.  Just compared to previous generation stars of nba.  MJ Rodman bird Johnson etc. I don't recall ever watching a game where they were down and gave up and quit playing.  Labron will do it on the regular.  And have some excuse afterward.  Guy has probably most physical gifts to ever play nba. And sure he's done fine statistically.  But relative to talent level -and pay grade , not really.  Now he's a political activist.  I suppose there's two ways to look at everything. And I'm likely to be looked at as old (38). But my 9 year old isn't idolizing anyone with that much quit and whine in him.  
THats on my top 5 things I'd use a time machine for.  Take Labron back to let prime MJ D him up and shut him down. Original point being this is one of the fine examples today's youth have as a measuring stick.  
   Someone's sure to bring up MJ or Magic's persona life transgressions.  Sure.  And I guess that's a valid argument.  But I was thinking purely in the public eye. The example set is pretty poor sportsmanship , poor teammate. And pretty poor attitude in general. To further the point and tie it to golf.  Justin Thomas who is one of the younger crowd says something like this and immediately is turned on. And part of my thought was that someone like Labron can go on any tirade he wants on his Vlog or whatever it's called and he's given news air time.  Kind of makes it easy to choose sides .  Thomas gained a few notches in my opinion and I'm not a huge fan of his game.   All my opinion. Not meant as anyone else's gospel.  

Lol. Rant over.

Very nice 'rant', and well spoken. Thanks for responding. I'm not a huge bb guy so I can't speak to that. I don't have a problem with him stating his opinions, political or otherwise; they're just as valid as anyone else's, and I believe he's speaking for those who wouldn't otherwise be heard.

So anyway, about the raucous crowds...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 2066

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

It will be "completely unacceptable" to these guys until lower attendance at tournaments affects purses.

Is there idiotic behavior at some of these events?  Yup.  But these players better be careful about biting the hands that feed them....there's already a shortage of true corporate sponsors for these events as it is.

This is also one drawback with regards to having volunteers act as marshals and crowd control during many of these tournaments.

2

#63 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 867

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 21 February 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

I get where he's coming from, but in all fairness... almost all other major sports, the athletes are dealing with loud insane crowds the entire time. The only difference in golf, they can be a little closer to you then say... football. Some baseball player has to concentrate on hitting that 95mph fastball in game 7 of the World Series with 60,000 people yelling at the top of their lungs in the bottom of the 9th? What's the difference?

It kind of feels & sounds like a kid complaining who's had the luxury of being the best and getting everything he wants his whole life, just the way he wants it. Now that something like this is out of his control... he's lashing out a bit. Fairly lame thing to complain about when you're talking about hole 16 at WMO. Something like that would never happen on hole 72 of the Masters, for example.

sometimes i wonder if some of the people on these forums even play golf.
Well... what's the difference? As long as it's just a noise at a fairly constant dB level, a professional should be able to zone that out. Sudden spikes or drops in background noise can certainly throw anybody off. I'm talking about the specific issue at WMO. It's fairly obvious a loud noise right in the middle of your swing (or any sporting move, not just golf) would screw you up.



I think the key difference and where I get where JT is coming from, is for him... he's playing for his salary and I get that. Aaron Judge is making millions a year hitting bombs whether or not he had 4 backwards K's or 4 grand slams in a game. I just think that complaining about 'loud noises' at a venue specifically inclined to make you want to yell loud annoying things, is weaksauce. Otherwise, I'm on his side.

even at the WMO 16th, the crowd is generally quiet before a shot. its nothing like the constant noise that there might be at a baseball or football game. even with the large loud crowd, a handful of shouts mid swing will affect a golfer much more than a guy yelling something at a baseball game where the crowd is actually yelling before, during, and after the pitch. its exactly why golfers sometimes pump up the crowd pre shot. they want that constant noise. some do it at WMO, others ryder cup.
Ping G400 Max 10.5 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Titleist 818H1 Atmos 80s Blue
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"

3

#64 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2115

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

Again, I wasn't there but I did stream all 4 days of WMO. On thurs/fri, the pre-shot dB level was around 70-75 (loud conversation) and wasn't really changing much from that the whole time. A good shot might have resulted in a 1-2 second peak around 90db (typical lawn mower) but that's post shot.

Sat/Sun was the same thing, but pre-shot was a constant 90-95dB and would peak on a nice shot around 115, which is pretty loud, akin to any other major sporting events. I did not notice a random large spike... and with that many people yelling and just random overall noiseyness... I doubt you'd notice one guy randomly scream amongst a crowd of 30k.

Point being... complaining about WMO @16 is kind of silly. If you don't like it don't play.. simple. I think noise, yelling, irrational shouting at pivotal moments in a tourney, majors, etc is 100% unacceptable in golf. I don't think that's happening though, so to me this issue is just JT kind of being a cry baby.  If a person is being an issue, remove them. There's always a bad apple here and there.
WITB
D - LTD Pro HZRDUS Yellow 65X
3w - LTD Kai'li 70X
3h - 818H2 ProForce V2 85X
Irons - Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
GW - TBD
SW - MD4 54/12W S200
LW - Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10 AWT Wedge
P - TP Black Copper Juno
Chrome Soft X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

4

#65 duffer987

duffer987

    VOTE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6785

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'm going to steal this quote from David Leonhardt, as it's applicable here: It is one of the downsides of a modern culture that too often fetishizes individual preference and expression over communal well-being.

Booze might grease the wheels for a few, but they are already pre-disposed to being look-at-me's and what's better than DVRing the coverage, yelling nonsense, and getting to replay it when you get home and post it up online, to show how awesome your individual expressions are.

On the plus side, at least on here it's nice to see that you get such a broad cross section of forum users all saying it's unbecoming at a minimum, or much worse.


5

#66 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12190

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

I get where he's coming from, but in all fairness... almost all other major sports, the athletes are dealing with loud insane crowds the entire time. The only difference in golf, they can be a little closer to you then say... football. Some baseball player has to concentrate on hitting that 95mph fastball in game 7 of the World Series with 60,000 people yelling at the top of their lungs in the bottom of the 9th? What's the difference?

It kind of feels & sounds like a kid complaining who's had the luxury of being the best and getting everything he wants his whole life, just the way he wants it. Now that something like this is out of his control... he's lashing out a bit. Fairly lame thing to complain about when you're talking about hole 16 at WMO. Something like that would never happen on hole 72 of the Masters, for example.

It's a huge and fairly obvious difference and has been for decades.

Team sports, played in arenas, crowds and crowd noise always an integral part of the action and experience - not even close.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 21 February 2018 - 01:01 PM.

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

6

#67 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18998

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostMrWolf, on 21 February 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostBirdie Mac, on 21 February 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

I get where he's coming from, but in all fairness... almost all other major sports, the athletes are dealing with loud insane crowds the entire time. The only difference in golf, they can be a little closer to you then say... football. Some baseball player has to concentrate on hitting that 95mph fastball in game 7 of the World Series with 60,000 people yelling at the top of their lungs in the bottom of the 9th? What's the difference?

It kind of feels & sounds like a kid complaining who's had the luxury of being the best and getting everything he wants his whole life, just the way he wants it. Now that something like this is out of his control... he's lashing out a bit. Fairly lame thing to complain about when you're talking about hole 16 at WMO. Something like that would never happen on hole 72 of the Masters, for example.


Strange way to look at it.   Of course Augusta gets it right.  But what about Torrey pines ?  Or last week at Riviera ?  Plenty of yelling there.     Even Rickie Fowler complained about 16 at WM and they love him on that hole.    It's all swirling around the bowl from a manners and respect point of view. When someone like Labron is a role model for all things not just b ball we have issues.

Interesting quote. I'm not a huge LeBron fan, but he seems to be a decent guy. Married his high school sweetheart, very active in the community, gives to charity, contributes through his foundation, has provided thousands of scholarships, etc. What's your issue with him? Off topic, but just curious.

No way to elaborate on most points without breaking forum rules.  

But think me me me.  Lazy lazy lazy.  Just compared to previous generation stars of nba.  MJ Rodman bird Johnson etc. I donít recall ever watching a game where they were down and gave up and quit playing.  Labron will do it on the regular.  And have some excuse afterward.  Guy has probably most physical gifts to ever play nba. And sure heís done fine statistically.  But relative to talent level -and pay grade , not really.  Now heís a political activist.  I suppose thereís two ways to look at everything. And Iím likely to be looked at as old (38). But my 9 year old isnít idolizing anyone with that much quit and whine in him.  
THats on my top 5 things Iíd use a time machine for.  Take Labron back to let prime MJ D him up and shut him down. Original point being this is one of the fine examples todayís youth have as a measuring stick.  
   Someoneís sure to bring up MJ or Magicís persona life transgressions.  Sure.  And I guess thatís a valid argument.  But I was thinking purely in the public eye. The example set is pretty poor sportsmanship , poor teammate. And pretty poor attitude in general. To further the point and tie it to golf.  Justin Thomas who is one of the younger crowd says something like this and immediately is turned on. And part of my thought was that someone like Labron can go on any tirade he wants on his Vlog or whatever itís called and heís given news air time.  Kind of makes it easy to choose sides .  Thomas gained a few notches in my opinion and Iím not a huge fan of his game.   All my opinion. Not meant as anyone elseís gospel.  

Lol. Rant over.

If you're going to criticise him at least spell his name right. It isn't exactly difficult.


Lol. Thatís happened to me before with his name.  Phone doesnít recognize it and swaps the spelling around.  How about  we just delete the rant and Iíll stay on topic.?!    It seems I likely took to bait from mr Mack anyway.   Had no idea spelling was incorrect.  And fully admit to not being a spelling savant.
Nike TW Oven Vapor Speed Aldila Synergy 70TX
TM 17 M1 Tour 14.5*  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
TM M3 Tour  19* Fuji Pro white 95X
Titliest 681 proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour raw 54 60 M Modus 130S
GSS 009 1.5  Beached Tungsten weights
Bidgestone RXS

7

#68 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18998

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

JT was asked about this again just now at his presser and covered it with clarity.    Someone should find a link and post it.  I canít seem to find it yet.    Basically said a few fans were yelling very inappropriate things in front of kids and ladyís etc.  and that those people were not growing the game nor contributing anything to it.  That those few thought they were funny. And they werenít.     JT gaining a fan here.
Nike TW Oven Vapor Speed Aldila Synergy 70TX
TM 17 M1 Tour 14.5*  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
TM M3 Tour  19* Fuji Pro white 95X
Titliest 681 proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour raw 54 60 M Modus 130S
GSS 009 1.5  Beached Tungsten weights
Bidgestone RXS

8

#69 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 867

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:06 PM



3:44 - dumb and annoying but not a problem

4:54 - the guy should've been kicked out
Ping G400 Max 10.5 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Titleist 818H1 Atmos 80s Blue
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"

9

#70 MMB1500

MMB1500

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6589

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

View PostJaNelson38, on 21 February 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

It will be "completely unacceptable" to these guys until lower attendance at tournaments affects purses.

Is there idiotic behavior at some of these events?  Yup.  But these players better be careful about biting the hands that feed them....there's already a shortage of true corporate sponsors for these events as it is.

So corporate sponsorship is down and you think it's going to go back up by allowing for a further decline in the standards of crowd behaviour on tour and for the antics of a large number alcohol-fuelled sh!theads to go unchecked?

I can certainly see why that would be appealing to marketing departments across corporate America.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 tr881430

tr881430

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261138
  • Joined: 07/02/2013
  • Location:alberta
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

They should start giving out Fentanyl to all the boorish drunks. 😃

11

#72 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 3428

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostMrWolf, on 21 February 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostJaNelson38, on 21 February 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

It will be "completely unacceptable" to these guys until lower attendance at tournaments affects purses.

Is there idiotic behavior at some of these events?  Yup.  But these players better be careful about biting the hands that feed them....there's already a shortage of true corporate sponsors for these events as it is.

So corporate sponsorship is down and you think it's going to go back up by allowing for a further decline in the standards of crowd behaviour on tour and for the antics of a large number alcohol-fuelled sh!theads to go unchecked?

I can certainly see why that would be appealing to marketing departments across corporate America.
Cracking down on buffoonish behavior at tournaments will do little to impact attendance. Set rules and expectations upfront and enforce them. Doesn't hurt the attendance at Augusta and won't hurt them anywhere else.

12

#73 Oldboy

Oldboy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
  • Joined: 06/03/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

the good old days of smaller purses, smaller crowds, less noise, less raucousness? .. gonna have to accept the bad with the good .. its all $$$ .. so this is what you get now

Edited by Oldboy, 21 February 2018 - 01:32 PM.


13

#74 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 3428

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

View PostOldboy, on 21 February 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

the good old days of smaller purses, smaller crowds, less noise, less raucousness? .. gonna have to accept the bad with the good .. its all $$$ .. so this is what you get now
Not true at all. Right now there are virtually no consequences for boorish behavior. You might lose 2% that can't behave, the remainder will improve their behavior.

14

#75 MountainKing

MountainKing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Joined: 08/21/2012
  • Location:Chicago
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostCoolPercussion, on 21 February 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

http://www.golfchann...y-unacceptable/

Is Justin Thomas justified in his complaints?  On one hand, I can see how large galleries can be a distraction to golfers.  (I know if I had to play in front of one it would cost me more than "a half shot per round")

On the other hand: POOR BABY!  Aww poor little Justin is playing in front of a big-boy gallery now.  Boo Hoo. Waaaaahhhhh!!! It must be so hard for you to be paired with Tiger and have to deal with the kinds of galleries that he has had to deal with FOR VIRTUALLY HIS ENTIRE CAREER!  Grow-up you spoiled, whiny brat.

Here's an idea, Justin:  continue to play like you did this week---keep yourself off the top page of the leaderboard---and then no one will want to come see you and you won't have to deal with large crowds anymore.  Just go the way of folks like Adam Schnek or Ryan Blaum.

You turn into a whiner over him expressing an opinion and you called him  the spoiled, whiny, brat?  He flat out said himself he could be overreacting.  Nothing else he said was spoiled, whiny or bratty unlike your mid paragraph there.  The galleries have changed over the years.  People can't control themselves.


15

#76 tbowles411

tbowles411

    So this just happened! We can barely believe it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 24,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6353

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

I wonder what people would think if he came to their jobs and yelled at them?
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E
Ball: Titelist AVX

16

#77 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5018

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 21 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Again, I wasn't there but I did stream all 4 days of WMO. On thurs/fri, the pre-shot dB level was around 70-75 (loud conversation) and wasn't really changing much from that the whole time. A good shot might have resulted in a 1-2 second peak around 90db (typical lawn mower) but that's post shot.

Sat/Sun was the same thing, but pre-shot was a constant 90-95dB and would peak on a nice shot around 115, which is pretty loud, akin to any other major sporting events. I did not notice a random large spike... and with that many people yelling and just random overall noiseyness... I doubt you'd notice one guy randomly scream amongst a crowd of 30k.

Point being... complaining about WMO @16 is kind of silly. If you don't like it don't play.. simple. I think noise, yelling, irrational shouting at pivotal moments in a tourney, majors, etc is 100% unacceptable in golf. I don't think that's happening though, so to me this issue is just JT kind of being a cry baby.  If a person is being an issue, remove them. There's always a bad apple here and there.

He is ďcomplainingĒ about exactly what you say is unacceptable- he stated that some fans are not timing their boorish screams right and are catching players before impact. He doesnít give a rip about yelling stupid things after they have hit.

17

#78 duffer987

duffer987

    VOTE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6785

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostMrWolf, on 21 February 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 21 February 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:


Strange way to look at it.   Of course Augusta gets it right.  But what about Torrey pines ?  Or last week at Riviera ?  Plenty of yelling there. Even Rickie Fowler complained about 16 at WM and they love him on that hole. It's all swirling around the bowl from a manners and respect point of view. When someone like Labron is a role model for all things not just b ball we have issues.

No way to elaborate on most points without breaking forum rules.  

But think me me me.  Lazy lazy lazy.  Just compared to previous generation stars of nba.  MJ Rodman bird Johnson etc. I don't recall ever watching a game where they were down and gave up and quit playing.  Labron will do it on the regular.  And have some excuse afterward.  Guy has probably most physical gifts to ever play nba. And sure he's done fine statistically.  But relative to talent level -and pay grade , not really.  Now he's a political activist.  I suppose there's two ways to look at everything. And I'm likely to be looked at as old (38). But my 9 year old isn't idolizing anyone with that much quit and whine in him.  
THats on my top 5 things I'd use a time machine for.  Take Labron back to let prime MJ D him up and shut him down. Original point being this is one of the fine examples today's youth have as a measuring stick.  
   Someone's sure to bring up MJ or Magic's persona life transgressions.  Sure.  And I guess that's a valid argument.  But I was thinking purely in the public eye. The example set is pretty poor sportsmanship , poor teammate. And pretty poor attitude in general. To further the point and tie it to golf.  Justin Thomas who is one of the younger crowd says something like this and immediately is turned on. And part of my thought was that someone like Labron can go on any tirade he wants on his Vlog or whatever it's called and he's given news air time.  Kind of makes it easy to choose sides .  Thomas gained a few notches in my opinion and I'm not a huge fan of his game.   All my opinion. Not meant as anyone else's gospel.  

Lol. Rant over.

If you're going to criticise him at least spell his name right. It isn't exactly difficult.

OK - this might get this thread locked up, but...

The revisionist history you are applying to MJ beggars belief.
I can take or leave the on court stuff, as I'm not a huge basketball guy, and will happily concede he was a competitor extraordinaire and the best/one of the best ever, but I am sure MJ didn't win a thing without Pippen and some combo of Grant/Rodman - and yes them without him, much the way Lebron needed assistance.

Of course MJ's perpetual Kukoc freeze outs, drafting and then berating Kwame, his baseball follies and return to the NBA and whiling away some time in Washington behavior; that is no better than Lebron not being keen on teamates, getting stroppy at times, and signing contracts that give him max flexibility.
MJ was Lance Armstrong-esque in the way he treated teammates and fellow competitors, there is nothing admirable about that. Many other great competitors have won many many many things while remaining classy and respectful.
And of course that's leaving out the gambling, womanizing, and whatever else he got up to in the pre-internet days, as definitely nowadays there is no public/private sphere difference for these guys.

IMHO Lebron (L-E-B-R-O-N) is a damn sight better role model than MJ. MJ was soley about MJ Inc. as those around him have said, he's said himself, and had zero interest in anything outside his world. But maybe you have that 'stay in your lane' point of view on things? What are your thoughts on Kareem? Craig Hodges? Heck it's the Olympics, how about Lindsey Vonn?

Apologies WRXers for going off topic, but even on some website for some hobby, that we shouldn't take too seriously, some things need to be replied to.
BH when it comes to "choosing sides" you are quite clearly on the wrong one.

18

#79 Ferguson

Ferguson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5557

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 21 February 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I wonder what people would think if he came to their jobs and yelled at them?



Your avatar and this conversation =muy caliente !

Edited by Ferguson, 21 February 2018 - 02:07 PM.


19

#80 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

Last World Series game I watched, I don't quite remember a guy running around the place with a "QUIET" sign held up. I mighta missed it.

I would love to see Golfers take this into their own hands. When they hear it, stop what they are doing, turn to the crowd and ask who did it. When that D-Bag invariable shoots his hand up, or is pointed out by the crowd, have the Golfer ask security to kindly escort this person off the premise.

Nothing like crowd shaming these idiots. Maybe that'll learn them.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 21 February 2018 - 02:08 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Birdie Mac

Birdie Mac

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490658
  • Joined: 01/10/2018
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostJerseyBoy, on 21 February 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Last World Series game I watched, I don't quite remember a guy running around the place with a "QUIET" sign held up. I mighta missed it.

I would love to see Golfers take this into their own hands. When they hear it, stop what they are doing, turn to the crowd and ask who did it. When that D-Bag invariable shoots his hand up, or is pointed out by the crowd, have the Golfer ask security to kindly escort this person off the premise.

Nothing like crowd shaming these idiots. Maybe that'll learn them.

Great idea, wrong person. Leave the crowd control to the caddy and marshals. If the golfer got involved, he'd be accused of being spoiled, whiny, etc. I don't see a problem in shaming someone that makes a spectacle of themselves in public without caring that they're affecting the performance of the golfers. I pay the entrance fee to see the golfers, not these tee box performance artists.

21

#82 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5018

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostJerseyBoy, on 21 February 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Last World Series game I watched, I don't quite remember a guy running around the place with a "QUIET" sign held up. I mighta missed it.

I would love to see Golfers take this into their own hands. When they hear it, stop what they are doing, turn to the crowd and ask who did it. When that D-Bag invariable shoots his hand up, or is pointed out by the crowd, have the Golfer ask security to kindly escort this person off the premise.

Nothing like crowd shaming these idiots. Maybe that'll learn them.

Chris DiMarco and DL3 immediately come to mind as players that have done this. I also seem to remember Greg Norman offering to fight a guy mid round once.

22

#83 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2577

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

JT these days seems to say something every other week that makes me like him less and less. He's officially a cry baby. Those loud people are helping you get paid. If they aren't saying anything during the swing then it's a non issue. That doesn't however mean that the "in the hole" people suck.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

23

#84 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5018

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

ďIf they aren't saying anything during the swing then it's a non issue.Ē

This is exactly what he is saying is happening. Others have mentioned it this year also - Spieth, Fowler and TW have mentioned crowds being out of hand as players are playing shots.

24

#85 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostBirdie Mac, on 21 February 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Great idea, wrong person. Leave the crowd control to the caddy and marshals. If the golfer got involved, he'd be accused of being spoiled, whiny, etc. I don't see a problem in shaming someone that makes a spectacle of themselves in public without caring that they're affecting the performance of the golfers. I pay the entrance fee to see the golfers, not these tee box performance artists.

The person that it effects the most should take the bull by the horns. If the players are that irate about it, they should step up. Players started doing this, event organizers will have to do something about it. And quickly. Imagine if players would refuse to play their next shot until the person was ejected.

"Get that A-Hole off the course. No, no, it's okay. I'll wait. I can't have someone screaming in my ear when I'm trying to win a tournament. I'm not going to take my next swing until this is handled. Get rid of him/her. Like I said, I'll wait. As soon as he/she is being escorted off premise, I'll resume play. Thanks for your understanding." You'll see how fast this gets corrected. I personally would love to see something like this every single time. You think slow play is a problem now?

And then, invariably at the press conference someone will ask the question and the answer will be, "Drunk and disorderly conduct is not to be tolerated in my place of work. I am here to play in a Tournament, not to be the local Bouncer at a bar. Something has to be done to preserve the environment we need in our place of work to succeed. That's why there are QUIET signs held up. Noise we can handle, but drunkards yelling during our back swing is not appropriate. Sorry."

Edited by JerseyBoy, 21 February 2018 - 02:49 PM.


25

#86 sailfishchris

sailfishchris

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151183
  • Joined: 12/15/2011
  • Location:Long Island NY
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mark10631
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostJerseyBoy, on 21 February 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostBirdie Mac, on 21 February 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Great idea, wrong person. Leave the crowd control to the caddy and marshals. If the golfer got involved, he'd be accused of being spoiled, whiny, etc. I don't see a problem in shaming someone that makes a spectacle of themselves in public without caring that they're affecting the performance of the golfers. I pay the entrance fee to see the golfers, not these tee box performance artists.

The person that it effects the most should take the bull by the horns. If the players are that irate about it, they should step up. Players started doing this, event organizers will have to do something about it. And quickly. Imagine if players would refuse to play their next shot until the person was ejected.

"Get that A-Hole off the course. No, no, it's okay. I'll wait. I can't have someone screaming in my ear when I'm trying to win a tournament. I'm not going to take my next swing until this is handled. Get rid of him/her. Like I said, I'll wait. As soon as he/she is being escorted off premise, I'll resume play. Thanks for your understanding." You'll see how fast this gets corrected. I personally would love to see something like this every single time. You think slow play is a problem now?

And then, invariably at the press conference someone will ask the question and the answer will be, "Drunk and disorderly conduct is not to be tolerated in my place of work. I am here to play in a Tournament, not to be the local Bouncer at a bar. Something has to be done to preserve the environment we need in our place of work to succeed. That's why there are QUIET signs held up. Noise we can handle, but drunkards yelling during our back swing is not appropriate. Sorry."
Would the group be put on the clock for slow play? That would open another can of worms LOL!
Ping G400 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Ping G30 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
Titelst TMB 4i Fujikura Pro 115i
Mizuno MP67 5-PW Fujikura Pro 115i X / Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
Vokey SM5 52, 56, 60 Fujikura MCI mild
Cameron Newport 1.5
TP5X
Jones Player 003/ Jones Utility Trouper

26

#87 DatSliceDoe

DatSliceDoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 324051
  • Joined: 06/30/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Justin is correct. Golf has lost any sense of respect amongst patrons except at Augusta.

27

#88 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

View Postsailfishchris, on 21 February 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

Would the group be put on the clock for slow play? That would open another can of worms LOL!

Exactly!! That's one of the reasons it would be handled quickly by the event organizer and at future events. Imagine if every few holes, play is stopped because of some drunk dude yelling out and the Golfer waiting for him to be kicked out. It would get old very quickly. The sponsors would start complaining, etc. Problem solved.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 21 February 2018 - 03:00 PM.


28

#89 kmay__

kmay__

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493118
  • Joined: 02/09/2018
  • Location:Niagara, Ontario, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

View Postmoonshine, on 21 February 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

TW won 14 majors dealing with that stuff. Good luck JT.

I think the difference is that those crowds were cheering for him. Where as in these last 2 events I've heard people yelling "Tiger!!" when he's not even playing a shot! So I still think it comes down to just drunk belligerence. Yelling out cheers for TW while JT putts and TW is standing on the fringe waiting to play his shot is just ridiculous. So either your just an a-hole trying to mess up a competitor, or your so wasted you don't even know if its your guy playing the shot. (sorry referring to the people in the crowd as "you" not you.)

And yes even though NFL players play in front of nearly 100k screaming fans, its just a roar at that point, not a guy 12 feet from you yelling some nonsense like mashed potatoes, ect.
2017 M2 9.5*
Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
PING G30 4 22*
Cobra S3 5-PW
Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
MD3 PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant

29

#90 Londoner

Londoner

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 917

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

"Get in the hole" throw them out.
"Mashed potatoes" throw them out then drag em back so you can throw them out again.

Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors