Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Driver and 3 wood standard tipping?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 budcangolf

budcangolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395
  • Ebay ID:Budcangolf
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

So seems Taylormade tips all of their drivers and woods a standard 1", was wondering if anyone knew how much if any Callaway tips theirs as I am considering getting the new Rogue subzero 3 wood

Edited by budcangolf, 13 February 2018 - 10:02 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 HISPL

HISPL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74563
  • Ebay ID:hisplgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 450

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

You can ask for whatever tipping you want when you place the order.

If you donít specify tipping it will be installed untipped.

Retail orders are only tipped at request.

Std tipping for the Pro Tour Dept. tipping is 1 inch for driver, 1.5 inches for 3 wood and 2 inches for 5 wood.

Custom orders are exactly that regardless of the build unit doing it, you just specify what you want done.

Edited by HISPL, 14 February 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

When I ordered my 816 alpha 3wd (14*) FW w/ rogue silver (and no special tipping instructions),  it came in tipped 1/2".   So neither untipped nor matching Aldila's recommendation of 1".

So bottom line is if you want a specific tipping, make sure you specify that in the order.

BTW - TM's approach is extremely radical - not one that really should be emulated.

Edited by Stuart G., 14 February 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#4 HISPL

HISPL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostStuart G., on 14 February 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

When I ordered my 816 alpha 3wd (14*) FW w/ rogue silver (and no special tipping instructions),  it came in tipped 1/2".   So neither untipped nor matching Aldila's recommendation of 1".

So bottom line is if you want a specific tipping, make sure you specify that in the order.

BTW - TM's approach is extremely radical - not one that really should be emulated.

Interesting, perhaps I was mistaken but I could have sworn that 3 woods were untipped unless requested otherwise.

Iím just going off of what one of the customer service guys told me so if you have measured tip to graphics then this will obviously be better information.

Pro Tour Dept. tipping standard practice comes from 4 different sources in that dept. Iím confident that is spot in information.

#5 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

FWIW, I heard the same thing.  Yet the after the fact tip to graphic measurements don't lie. Don't get me wrong.  Callaway CS is great at fixing problems but clubs don't always come out of the factory they way they are supposed to (and the same can be said for all the OEMs).  My custom order did include a change to the playing length of -1/2".   Who knows, maybe they just took it off the wrong end of the shaft :-)

I just haven't seen enough concrete data (actual verification from other buyers) to determine what is the standard practice for Callaway.

Edited by Stuart G., 14 February 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#6 HISPL

HISPL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostStuart G., on 14 February 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

FWIW, I heard the same thing.  Yet the after the fact tip to graphic measurements don't lie.     Don't get me wrong.  Callaway CS is great at fixing problems but clubs don't always come out of the factory they way they are supposed to (and the same can be said for all the OEMs).  My custom order did include a change to the playing length of -1/2".   Who knows, maybe they just took it off the wrong end of the shaft :-)

I just haven't seen enough concrete data (actual verification from other buyers) to determine what is the standard practice for Callaway.

Iíve measured tip to graphics on shafts in fairways and come up with the answer of no tipping in retail builds as std.

Quite often these have been the heavier weight shafts in ďmade forĒ versions and therefore I assumed that this was the case having measured the same tip to graphics as a driver version.

I bow to your experience though Stuart, we get a lot of Callaway through where I work but you have been doing this longer than I have I believe.

I also questioned customer service in the past in a build where I did not specify tipping for a shaft and it was only butt trimmed to length and the result was that the club didnít play the way I had intended for the client so I reordered another shaft.

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors