Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A Better Golf Game As You Age

57 replies to this topic

#1 platgof

platgof

platgof

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125351
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:platgof
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

Am I the only one trying different things to hold back time and keep a decent golf game? For me that is straight bogey golf. I have gone to senior tees and senior shafts to keep some distance. Spent a ton of money on clubs and probably a lot more in the future. Have taken lessons and have the game figured out for the most part. The body is the one factor that has all kinds of surprises in store. Flexibility is a must as I get older, and stretches are every thing. Just wondering what the rest of you are doing to "stay in the game?"

TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 GolfNuts4

GolfNuts4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298638
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

Good post OP, I am certainly losing some distance, although I have a few buddies that are older than I and still can get it out there. I am playing more forgiving clubs, all graphite to ease the beating on the body and doing plenty of stretching as well. I probably should sharpen the short game around the green, it might help shave some strokes off. Haven't quite moved up tees but that is soon approaching. Also, making sure I have some Motrin on hand to help the creaking old body. I can hurt myself sleeping these days!
Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Ping G30 3 Hybrid
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 3.0- 50*/54*/58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey

#3 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16698

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

I practice my short game...a lot. Walk the vast majority of my rounds. Play the tees appropriate for me. Stick with the same clubs. Take the occasional lesson. Try not to be too hard on myself.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway "O" Works #7

#4 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

I am not at that point yet but have played with my fair share of seniors. The ones that still try to improve no matter where their game is seem to keep it going more than the ones that live in the past. Maybe someone could come up with some charts to help ease the pain a little. ie. If you were an 8.0 index that would play Driver/7 iron to approximately 400 yards what should you expect your index to be once your Driver/7 iron was more like 330 yards?

My father finds the key to turning around his game a few times a month. As long as it keeps him interested, albeit sometimes frustrated, it's good by me. We only have so many rounds left but I hope it goes on for a long time yet.

My tip: If your gonna sneeze let 'er rip. I have a friend who tried to suppress a sneeze and ended up with an injury that kept him out for about 6 weeks. We tease him about having torn a certain lady part but I'm a little more cautious about not being so cautious when I sneeze these days. If that makes sense?

#5 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

I started doing push up and squatting, like I used to do maybe 4 decades ago while in training.  Can't do a lot of repetition at this point but will certainly try to keep it up.
Also was advised to start taking in protein drink to help keep the muscle "plump".  I think squatting exercise is the one that will help me to maintain balance, to exert power.  I  used to be able to do the squat ( horse stance } at a 10 minutes set, several sets in one session.  Not anymore.   Just trying not to kill myself or cause any injury at this point.

I hope by Spring, I could show the guys I play golf with a little reversed trend against the time.

#6 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

Golfopath

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Handicap:~9
GolfWRX Likes : 300

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

54.  Best golf of my life last year.  Having fun - staying positive - keeping it real.

Expecting to walk a few more rounds this year for mind, body and spirit.

Kids will still tolerate me in our Thursday choose-up scrambles for my short game - so far.  Will be a very sad day when I become "that guy".

I've played with guys older than me that still have plenty of game so I'm hopeful.
Taylormade M1
TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
Ping i15 / Zing 2
Titleist Vokey SM5
TM Spider Tour Black
Top Flite Gamer Tour
Sun Mountain Four 5
Clicgear 3.5+

#7 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Tour Winner

• 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

Now that I have retired I am hitting the range/putting green several times a week, started working out again, and try to play several times a week.  Hoping I can push my index down to a +1.0 or lower and keep it there.  Ambitious for an old fat lady, but already seeing some swing improvement.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway XR w/Project X 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Callaway Apex 5i - AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Srixon Z-star XV in yellow

#8 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1756

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:22 AM

I'm turning 55 this year, I've actually increased distance over last 5. Credit the gym and better technique but a key focus for me going forward will be leg development. Core and upper will get it's due but the legs are the hardest muscles to build and need more time to see rewards on and off course.

#9 torbill

torbill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107208
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

I am 73 and still maintain a low handicap.  I have done the following:

Change to the Ballard swing method, which helps with accuracy and minimizes back and knee problems.  This is a a method of swinging that will best suit me for the duration.  I don’t need a lot of swing speed to hit the ball far.  I need to hit the ball with a square club face and a proper swing path, and this swing does it.  I have lost very little distance.

Walk the golf course for leg strength and do stretches.  A swing of the type that I do requires strong leg muscles and a certain amount of flexibility. The stretches that I do are geared toward keeping my swing full and fluid.

Have a good driver.  It is the most important club in my bag, as far as keeping up with the new technology.

Believe that I can still play good golf.  I have never been a scratch player.  Once I cannot hit the ball very far I can never be a scratch player.  But I hit the ball plenty far to be a scratch player.  So, it isn’t distance that holds me back from being a scratch player; it is having all the other pieces in place.  I keep working on getting all the pieces in place, in learning more about my swing, in trying new things.  I know that I will never be a scratch player, but it is my goal and I keep trying and I know that I can get better than I am.

What I see is seniors riding golf carts.  This is fine if they also go to the gym.  But, I suspect that most don’t.  They lose leg strength, they lose flexibility, and eventually it is game over.  We just have to keep our bodies in the best condition that we can, and we have to have a swing method that suits our age, and most of all we have to believe that we can do it.

#10 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

Golfopath

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Torbill,

I've never heard of the Ballard swing.  Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.youtube....h?v=JwwjI_WxAJ0

Taylormade M1
Ping i15 / Zing 2
Titleist Vokey SM5
TM Spider Tour Black
Top Flite Gamer Tour
Sun Mountain Four 5
Clicgear 3.5+

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

View Postplatgof, on 13 February 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Am I the only one trying different things to hold back time and keep a decent golf game? For me that is straight bogey golf. I have gone to senior tees and senior shafts to keep some distance. Spent a ton of money on clubs and probably a lot more in the future. Have taken lessons and have the game figured out for the most part. The body is the one factor that has all kinds of surprises in store. Flexibility is a must as I get older, and stretches are every thing. Just wondering what the rest of you are doing to "stay in the game?"

phys work, homegym etc...
mobility work, I recomend intu-flow due to range of motion will be great after a few years.
rebuild mechanics to a longer distance one
keep weight in check with good eating habits, add semi fasting a day a week.

at age 54 I expect to add 100 yards this summer.
Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

#12 torbill

torbill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

Yes, but there is much more to the method than that.  Check this out:

https://youtu.be/hX7A913vKy8

https://www.departur...d-jimmy-ballard

This method is very different from a rotary swing and, probably, any other swing that most people have tried. It is inherently simple, but it takes time because there are so many things that we have grooved into our swings, things that need to be undone. The good thing is, anybody at any age, at any skill level, can do it.

You cannot pick and choose which features of Ballard that you want to do. He tells you every detail of the setup and every detail of the swing and if you don't do them all you will not get the benefit. It isn't a set of tips. It is a *method*.  Learning this swing requires full commitment, and time.  

I came to this swing because I could not control a hook, and it was driving me crazy. I also had back problems. So I had strong motivations to find something that solved these problems. I had tried this swing 30 years ago and gotten nowhere with it. Ballard has taught numerous champions, so on the second time around I was confident that it would work for me if I took the time to study it in detail and commit to it.  This time I realize that, the first time, I had just paid lip service to it. I never understood what he was saying.  This time I studied every detail, and I committed to it.  It is the best thing that I have ever done in golf. I can reliably hit the ball dead straight, and far, and it is so much easier on my back. It is truly a swing that will last me until the end of my golf days.

#13 torbill

torbill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

https://youtu.be/_AmPuzgBXEM

#14 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

Golfopath

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

View Posttorbill, on 14 February 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

Yes, but there is much more to the method than that.  Check this out:

https://youtu.be/hX7A913vKy8

https://www.departur...d-jimmy-ballard

This method is very different from a rotary swing and, probably, any other swing that most people have tried. It is inherently simple, but it takes time because there are so many things that we have grooved into our swings, things that need to be undone. The good thing is, anybody at any age, at any skill level, can do it.

You cannot pick and choose which features of Ballard that you want to do. He tells you every detail of the setup and every detail of the swing and if you don't do them all you will not get the benefit. It isn't a set of tips. It is a *method*.  Learning this swing requires full commitment, and time.  

I came to this swing because I could not control a hook, and it was driving me crazy. I also had back problems. So I had strong motivations to find something that solved these problems. I had tried this swing 30 years ago and gotten nowhere with it. Ballard has taught numerous champions, so on the second time around I was confident that it would work for me if I took the time to study it in detail and commit to it.  This time I realize that, the first time, I had just paid lip service to it. I never understood what he was saying.  This time I studied every detail, and I committed to it.  It is the best thing that I have ever done in golf. I can reliably hit the ball dead straight, and far, and it is so much easier on my back. It is truly a swing that will last me until the end of my golf days.

Rocco... I never made the connection but see it now.  Intriguing.
Taylormade M1
Ping i15 / Zing 2
Titleist Vokey SM5
TM Spider Tour Black
Top Flite Gamer Tour
Sun Mountain Four 5
Clicgear 3.5+

#15 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Legend

• 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

View PostRBImGuy, on 14 February 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

mobility work, I recomend intu-flow due to range of motion will be great after a few years.

Helping rebuild the high school track?

#16 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

Faldo has a video I just watched and he is what 60?  He does all these stretches before he teaches a junior clinic.  It's pretty informative.

#17 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Wine gets better with age, why not your golf game? :-)
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway "O" Works #7

#18 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 848

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

Why aren't you focusing on adding 100 yds to Hans?  Maybe he would start winning some tournaments.

#19 vieirak

vieirak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493066
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

View Postoikos1, on 14 February 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Why aren't you focusing on adding 100 yds to Hans?  Maybe he would start winning some tournaments.

Why work on adding 100yds when he can just make up results?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://notnlp.com/?p=433

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=ca

http://notnlp.com/wp.../2014/03/gw.png

http://notnlp.com/wp...03/6i-4mars.png

http://notnlp.com/wp...iver-4-mars.png

http://www.golfwrx.c...er/page__st__60

#20 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

I am not worried about yardage(plus 100) as I moved up a set of tees, fixed that. I will try to gain some by trying a lighter shaft, the Graffaloy 45, and see if that helps my 16 M2. I also have an XR16 that I can fool with as well. The short game will give me the most benefits. I played with this older gentlemen and he was so deadly with his short game. He chipped up so close it either went in or left him a tap in. He shot some very low rounds. I felt like a slug playing next to him. The weather is still way to wet to do anything around here, plus still resting the knee.

Edited by platgof, 15 February 2018 - 09:26 PM.

TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mikpga

mikpga

www.mikedeitersgolf.com

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Just a word of caution...

If you want to continue to enjoy and perhaps even improve don't develop the mindset of "have the game pretty much figured out".  This mindset will hold you back...

#22 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

I do have it figured out for the most part. It is the time and health I need for practice, that I don't have figured out. I am not aiming for scratch golf, something around low eighties would be refreshing once in a while. Right now I am a bogey player on average, and I have wanted to drop that to a 12 for the longest time, but I am not going to lose sleep over this. I shot 86/84 in a tournament last summer, and would like to go 84/82 this year!
TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

#23 Parker0065

Parker0065

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124513
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostSean2, on 14 February 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

Wine gets better with age, why not your golf game? :-)
Wine, the breakfast of champions!!!

#24 Wedgefromhere

Wedgefromhere

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133246
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

I'm 50 and wonder if I'll enjoy golf as much when I'm in my 60s and 70s.  Can anyone comment to that?

#25 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,487 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

View PostWedgefromhere, on 16 February 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

I'm 50 and wonder if I'll enjoy golf as much when I'm in my 60s and 70s.  Can anyone comment to that?

I didn't start playing until I turned 50. I am in my 60s now, and play much better than I did in my 50s. Also, there are a lot of intangibles the game gives me that I value just as much as the playing itself.

Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway "O" Works #7

#26 mikpga

mikpga

www.mikedeitersgolf.com

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

Keep those goals out in front of you!

#27 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

Played today and should have brought a gallon of WD-40 with me to knock off the rust. The first three holes were really rough, then I settled down and did okay. First game of the year is behind me, thank goodness. Not to crazy about the 46" driver shaft and may need to bring it down some. The Ping G25 5 wood I am trying did pretty good, fun club to hit. Found out a jewel of a technique. I was having a hard time elevating anything off the fairway, and then I remembered a tip I read about hitting with the toe. So I went low on the ball, and on the toe of the club face, and there she was, fun after that.

Edited by platgof, 19 February 2018 - 08:08 PM.

TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

#28 rwc356

rwc356

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29907
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

Over past 5-7 yrs I have been fighting the "gee,  remember when I had a 6 index" syndrome. This led to a great deal of frustration when exercises, practice time and equipment changes failed to get me back to where "I knew I belonged!"

Now at 65, I have finally listened to my wife and my body. I moved up to the senior tees, started working on strength and flexibility. Started trying to make those bad shots less bad. I'm trying to play with a consistent swing as opposed to trying to make a perfect swing. I also try to remember some of my buddies that are no longer able to play due to serious health issues -helps keep this crazy game in perspective.

Do I want to get back to a single digit - HELL YES. Will I make it, maybe or maybe not but I feel better abut the campaign. At the end of the summer I was scoring in the low 80s pretty regularly so I am hoping to build off on that experience as winter recedes here in Chicago.
8 or 9  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Hickories:     Louisville Golf woods - Tad Moore OA irons - Macgregor 1928 Dayton, Ohio mallet putter
Vintage:        Macgregor AT2W woods - Hogan Apex irons - Ping Kushin putter
Somewhat Modern:      TM 300 woods - Ping i3 blades - Ping Kushin putter

#29 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

My knee has been holding up pretty good lately as I have walked nine holes twice this week. I really enjoy walking nine with my Clic Gear.
TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

#30 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I am trying something out as I am going for a longer game. I am now playing my driver at 46" and will now add a 3 wood for the first time in many years. My main objective is eliminating strokes and gaining distance. I will be playing driver, 3,5,7 wood, 5 hybrid, 6-pw irons, Cleveland C-3, S-3 wedges, and my Scotty. I may swap the 7 wood out for my 4 hybrid as it is pretty solid as well. I will try this for a couple of months and see what it does.

TM R15 HL
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Zing2 SW
Scotty X5R
B330RX

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors