Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Should I worry about loss of distance with my irons?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Since my return to golf a four months ago, I went away from my old swing - not sure what you call it, two plane, modern??? (been golfing since 93' but stopped twice) and I'm trying to be more rounded using my body more with left arm level with shoulders in the backswing. My older age and larger habitus (got heavier and less flexible in the last 8 years away from the game), I find this swing method somewhat easier. Though I need a lot of  work still, I'm making better contact on the ball and my divots are shallower.  But, one thing I noticed since my return, is the lack of distance or loss of it with my irons.

With my driver, woods, and hybrids, I've hit 215-240's drivers, 190-205 3 wood, 170-175 4 hybrid, and my 6 hybrid is 150'ish...  my old 6i distance was my 150-155 club.  With my Irons, the TM R7's, I'm way short. I took out my 6i to the range for two nights this week and it seems I'm in the 140-145 range, maybe shorter. My 7i barely reaches 130 and this used to be my money club for 145. Today, the 8 9 PW is 120-90, it's very frustrating. To be 110 to the flag and grabbing my PW and hit a nice ball w/ good direction, only to come up very short. It is very very frustrating. To hit to a small island green (124-128 yrds) that slopes to the front towards the water, a hole that I've played before a decade ago using a PW or 9i depending on wind, now requires me to use my 8i which sometimes I comes up short!!!!

I don't know if my 11 year old clubs have out grew me or I just don't have the ability to hit my old distances with my irons, and hopefully as I improve my game distance will come. But when I used my friends XR 7i I was hitting the same or further than my 6i. I quickly put his iron away after seeing the ball spaceX easily passed the 138 flag. His 5i went the distance with the one ball hit, so I put that club back into his bag being frustrated with my set. There's a huge gap between my 6h and 7i that's for sure.

This lack of distance with my irons is getting in the way of my swing mentally. I ended up trying too hard trying to go for distance, and I end up making mistakes. I already have a weak mental game, but that's another story.....

Would improving my game improve my distance with my current irons? or, are my clubs outdated? I have callaway 2016 xr driver, wood, and hybrids and I don't see loss of distance from a decade ago - more of the same +/-.... but my R7 irons/wedges, I'm so disappointed. I'm not in the market for new irons, not yet.

Side note: I have found a PGA pro to work with long term, someone I knew from over 15 years ago. Can't wait to see what he says.

Edited by jamxray, 13 February 2018 - 02:23 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 LeftyLuck

LeftyLuck

Advanced Member

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489376
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Well, if you improve your game, chances are you are going to improve ballstriking, which will help distance (If its possible).
Are you really compressing the ball? Sometimes you can catch it a little thin and think it was solid which can cause a decrease in iron distance
This may be the case especially if you are still hitting driver/woods the same length
That is what I have to offer, hopefully others can bring more advice.

#3 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

yeah the reason why I wondered if improvement will increase the distance is because the better players in my group say my swing looks fine, just minor tweak - when I do make a good crisp compressed shot it's still short. lol and when I try for distance, it doesn't go now were.

Looking at videos, I sway laterally with my irons, not so much with woods. Maybe my sway is a distance killer. Also, my left wrist collapses or breaks post impact - maybe not rotating enough....

Hopefully, I can start my lessons in two weeks.

#4 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 276

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

View Postjamxray, on 13 February 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Would improving my game improve my distance with my current irons? or, are my clubs outdated?
Both.  But if you have a big gap in your set (6h to 7i it sounds like), that's not going to go away as your game improves most likely--you'll just hit both clubs further and be left with a big gap.  Only case that wouldn't be true is if you are somehow hitting your irons less efficiently than your hybrid...something to bring up with your instructor when you start.

Modern equipment (modern game-improvement equipment specifically) such as your friend's XR irons generally have less loft, are sometimes longer, have hotter faces and lower CG locations to help with higher launch--all of which equates to more distance.  The XR 7i, for example, is 2* less lofted than your R7 7i, which is basically half a club (not to mention a likely hotter face, which likely makes it a full club longer).  What's important to realize though is that the number stamped on the bottom of the club is irrelevant.  If you have a gap between your 6h and 7i and don't want to buy a new set, just carry both your 6h and your 6i, or even 6h and 5i.  All that really matters is that you are proficient with the clubs you carry and that you don't have any huge gaps in your bag...carry whatever gets the job done.

Best of luck.

#5 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

View PostGMR, on 14 February 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

View Postjamxray, on 13 February 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Would improving my game improve my distance with my current irons? or, are my clubs outdated?
Both.  But if you have a big gap in your set (6h to 7i it sounds like), that's not going to go away as your game improves most likely--you'll just hit both clubs further and be left with a big gap.  Only case that wouldn't be true is if you are somehow hitting your irons less efficiently than your hybrid...something to bring up with your instructor when you start.

Modern equipment (modern game-improvement equipment specifically) such as your friend's XR irons generally have less loft, are sometimes longer, have hotter faces and lower CG locations to help with higher launch--all of which equates to more distance.  The XR 7i, for example, is 2* less lofted than your R7 7i, which is basically half a club (not to mention a likely hotter face, which likely makes it a full club longer).  What's important to realize though is that the number stamped on the bottom of the club is irrelevant.  If you have a gap between your 6h and 7i and don't want to buy a new set, just carry both your 6h and your 6i, or even 6h and 5i.  All that really matters is that you are proficient with the clubs you carry and that you don't have any huge gaps in your bag...carry whatever gets the job done.

Best of luck.

Thanks. Yeah carrying the 6i was talked about and seems to be a good option.

My buddy also tried out my irons and noticed it wasn't as long as his irons. But still, I have to work on my game and especially physical health.

#6 NikeGolferTX

NikeGolferTX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475866
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

My father in law has about the same numbers as you and shoots mid 70's. You're fine.

Ex. Par 5 500 yard hole: He drives it 215. 190 yard 3W. 9 iron for 95 yards.

Dudes on the green in 3 and just has to putt good.

You just need to have good gaps and know what distances you hit each club.

#7 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Well after taking some advices and practice, I am happy to report I made some gains in my distance with my irons. Though itís still far from ďfixedĒ. The problems were a lot in my swing, from my lateral sway to my tense wrist... there are more faults in my swing that I had to work on, but donít I need to mention all of them...the important things is 150 +/- carry and more total distance with my 6i.  Not long compared to the WRX world, but Iím happy itís not a 140 carry or less..

The feeling of ďlessĒ to create more is slowly getting there. But miles to go before I sleep..just happy I did it with 20 some balls...

#8 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1231

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Remember that in the winter months, the cold air is very dense, and you aren't going to get anything like the distances you see in summer.  Additionally, if you happen to be playing on dormant bermuda, the lies become extremely soggy, and hitting off the ground is problematic this time of year.  NOBODY gets the same distances in those conditions.

#9 seve1972

seve1972

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124438
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

Someone asked Jack how he hits a 6 iron further........”I hit a 5 iron “.    Don’t over think this game...it’s too hard

#10 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

The weather here is sunny 55-65* during the day and 30-50* at night. I read about cold weather affecting distance, likewise the range balls they use at the range have limiting distance. One of the employees had mentioned his about the range balls.

The jack story is pretty funny... lol

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 RobertBaron

RobertBaron

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348489
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

Iíve been kind of wondering about some swing changes Iíve made the past few months. Iíve been more consistent with my contact but it seems like my long iron distance has increased but my short iron distances have decreased.

Why would that be?

#12 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 276

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:52 AM

View PostRobertBaron, on 18 February 2018 - 11:47 PM, said:

Iíve been kind of wondering about some swing changes Iíve made the past few months. Iíve been more consistent with my contact but it seems like my long iron distance has increased but my short iron distances have decreased.

Why would that be?
Probably delofting the club less, which is also probably a good thing.

#13 seve1972

seve1972

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124438
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

View PostGMR, on 19 February 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

I’ve been kind of wondering about some swing changes I’ve made the past few months. I’ve been more consistent with my contact but it seems like my long iron distance has increased but my short iron distances have decreased.

Why would that be?
Probably delofting the club less, which is also probably a good thing.

Ya need to go buy the new Callaways......42* pitching wedges.....there ..problem solved (because you saved your fragile ego :) )

#14 Golfjack

Golfjack

That draw keeps creeping back

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:05 AM

I've been kind of wondering about some swing changes I've made the past few months. I've been more consistent with my contact but it seems like my long iron distance has increased but my short iron distances have decreased.

Why would that be?

Swing changes will mess with your game more than you want.  Sometimes the long clubs work well, sometimes the shorter ones, and sometimes you lose distance, and sometimes you gain.  I've been going through a whole host of changes and been through all the different effects LOL.  Went from mega draw to fade to straight to fade to draw again (but more controlled tight draw).  Distances really vary as well.  Sometimes a lot shorter, sometimes getting back my old distances, sometimes not.  But then for me since I practice my swing changes with shorter clubs my short club distances have increased steadily.  

Plus it's also really hard to not see your swing to be able to tell what's going on.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

#15 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:43 AM

UPDATE: So I answered my own question this weekend.

After this post, I spent 30 mins to 2 hours working on my game every day. Getting my hips to rotate more and slow my arms down - still trying to sync them up, cut down on the lateral sway, relax my arms and wrists, grip, etc...Majority of the time without hitting a single ball. I took advice from two friends, took lots of videos, and watched some of Dan Whittaker videos. Also, I applied some techniques I've learned in my 20 plus years in martial arts (17 yrs. removed) and added some techniques to my swing thought and learning process. Also, I used the training aids I own.

Over the weekend I am now consistently carrying my 6i over 150 yards, and some times over 160!! There was a flag I pinned at 158.5 with my range finder and I was just a yard short of the flag a yard or two, or flew the green. There was a little help with the wind, but even when the wind died I was there below the flag/pin. Went back to the range at night with 45* weather and noticed a little shorter carry but still 150 - used another flag at 148. To carry 150 plus and the roll... I have to redo my yardage if this keeps up.

That same evening I took my friends XR 8i with much stiffer flex and I couldn't believe what we saw. I was grouping the XR 8i at the 148 flag. I took 5 shots and made 4 of them, last one faded. And just for fun, I got quicker with it and launched it OVER 150 with his 8i!! I know his XR irons are juiced vs. my R7's, but I'm just glad I gain distance. (agreed, it's just a number on the bottom of the club) Shoot.. my old 8i blade for 25 yrs ago, that was my 115-118 club!!! that's my wedge today. well, from a decade ago.. will see what distance I get with my irons when I get them back from being re gripped and re shafted.

Hitting really short vs the guys I played with kinda demoralized me, and I did once regretted on why I returned to the game 4 months ago. Maybe the reason for this post.? But, I don't quit.. I'm also lucky to have great support from friends that have been very helpful. Also, I know it's just golf, but for me it's all about perseverance not only in golf, but in life. I really enjoy the process...I still have a very long way to go, but it'll be worth it.

Edited by jamxray, 21 February 2018 - 12:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors