Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anybody Else a Fan of Jon Rahm's Swing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 498

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

Now that I'm finally studying the golf swing with some earnest and trying to improve my own I really like what I see in Rahm's swing. It's quite different than many on tour, but has a lot of power. For years I've had a big shoulder turn, well past 90 degrees. But, his is much shorter and utilizes leg drive well.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Golf Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Handicap:-
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Learning to achieve power from the ground up is very important, and Rahm or Jack Nicklaus are 2 of the best to watch in that regard. Keep in mind your body type though(which i dont know). If you are thin it wont work as well. Having that extra mass, and strong legs is helpful to that type of swing. Jack had super strong legs too. One of my tips is always to find a pro golfer with a similar body type as you if you want to try emulating someone.

I personally like everything about his swing except the bowed wrist. I dont get how him, DJ, and Berger do that.

Lastly, Using your legs to create energy from the ground up like that take great technique and control, being that it needs to happen at exactly the right moment in order for that energy to be transferred to the ball.
Callaway

#3 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

don't say he's not flexible....
Driver: TM M2 Tour 9.5 AD MT 6TX
3W: TM M2 Tour 15 AD MT 7X
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/20 Blueboard X
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW Tour V X
Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S DG100; SM5 60K DGS400
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX Rossie Putter
Ball: Titleist AVX

#4 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 940

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Yes.

#5 Tzoid

Tzoid

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'm a huge fan of Jon Rahm's swing.  I went through a swing change 2 years ago after getting with a coach that utilizes Flight Scope and being the Analytical guy I am it
has transformed my understanding of my swing.  I'm 53 and have weight trained most of my life and have a fairly short back swing due to my upper body size and flexibility. The swing change is basically a Square to Square style swing concentrating on one swing thought and that’s a bowed left wrist because I had the tendency of getting the club open at the top.The feel I'm getting the club shut isn't always reality but hitting the course with a single swing thought ( Swing like Jon Rahm - Dustin Johnson ) keeps it simple and my ball striking has improved greatly .

Edited by Tzoid, 13 February 2018 - 12:29 PM.

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

#6 white03

white03

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41466
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Let me say first that I'm not a swing guru and don't analyze every swing, but to me his shoulder turn on the backswing is not that much shorter than most other pro's (on the average, don't start comparing him to Dustin because Dustin is a freak).  What I think I see is that Rahm does  not let his arms keep going back when his shoulders have reached their limit.  Another way to say it is he stops his arms from continuing to swing when his shoulders stop turning

Would like to hear what someone who does study swings has to say.

#7 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4505

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

#8 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 880

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

It's the same idea as Justin Thomas, Rahm doesn't have as fast of a clubhead speed as you'd think he would (around 50th but strokes gained driving is 3rd), but like JT the launch numbers are just dead perfect.
G400 Max
M2 3W, Hybrid
i210s
RTX3s
Cameron

#9 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 498

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

View PostCaddiesFault, on 13 February 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Learning to achieve power from the ground up is very important, and Rahm or Jack Nicklaus are 2 of the best to watch in that regard. Keep in mind your body type though(which i dont know). If you are thin it wont work as well. Having that extra mass, and strong legs is helpful to that type of swing. Jack had super strong legs too. One of my tips is always to find a pro golfer with a similar body type as you if you want to try emulating someone.

I personally like everything about his swing except the bowed wrist. I dont get how him, DJ, and Berger do that.

Lastly, Using your legs to create energy from the ground up like that take great technique and control, being that it needs to happen at exactly the right moment in order for that energy to be transferred to the ball.
Yes, interesting. I'm built much like Rahm. I refocused on leg strength over the last year or so and got my lower body strength way up (was always strong - I was a fullback in college). But, learning how to utilize that in a swing seems like a very athletic move. I have used the bowed wrist with success. Funny thing about it - I hear commentators say (for DJ), "It takes the left side of the course away for him." I never got that. It does the opposite for me. And...I saw it explained by that guy who's the Hogan guru (myswingrevolution) as a position much like a baseball pitcher would make. Interesting... When I first tried it I got some immediate good results.

Edited by BeerPerHole, 13 February 2018 - 06:20 PM.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

#10 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

View Postgators78, on 13 February 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

It's the same idea as Justin Thomas, Rahm doesn't have as fast of a clubhead speed as you'd think he would (around 50th but strokes gained driving is 3rd), but like JT the launch numbers are just dead perfect.
Exactly, his clubhead speed is actually a bit slow considering he is 220lbs and built like a long drive competitor. His relatively short shoulder turn actually cost him distance but he makes it up by being so strong. Dustin Johnson turns his shoulder at least 30 deg more than Rahm. Not sure the average player swinging 95 mph can afford to lose 10mph like he can. People wrongly assume his bowed left wrist is the reason for his power but how exactly does a bowed lead wrist generate more power? Sergio Garcia weighs 60lbs less than Rahm but generates at least 5mph more clubhead speed. The difference is Sergio has poor launch numbers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors