Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Buying shares of a pro?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 puttsandpims

puttsandpims

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266646
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

https://www.golfdige...TM0MTEwMjc4NgS2

The author of this piece bought shares of a pro and in return received a portion of his winnings (losing investment in this case, but that’s not the point.)

Has anyone seen other pros do this or know how to connect with pros who might be seeking backers?

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119001
GolfWRX Likes : 896

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

Common deal with mini tour players. The elite prospects get enough sponsorship money out of the gate that they don't need to sell themselves to pay for q-school/initial costs while on the way up the ranks. The mid-level and below prospects who often aren't good enough to turn a profit themselves or need additional help often do deals like this with people who believe in them though (family friends/guys from the club/college program donors, etc.). This is why this is such a poor investment. The players who are good enough to make it big don't need the help on the way up because they are cashing checks. Those who do need the help need it because they aren't cashing checks (and aren't good enough). Only in very rare occasions does it work out (Zach Johnson).

The best way to connect with a pro who might be seeking backers would probably be to show up to a mini-tour event and just start asking players if they want money lol.

Edited by mjen43, 12 February 2018 - 11:22 PM.

#3 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 1990

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

I went all-in on Potter Jr. this past weekend.  He sold me 95% of his future winnings last Wednesday for $17.88.  However, I never told him about it, so I'm guessing the contract won't hold up for two reasons - neither of us signed it, and it doesn't actually exist.

#4 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

Iíd stick to Horse Racing.

#5 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 1921

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

There should be a crowd sourcing website for this. Could do it for all professional athletes. A website with detailed stats and info on each player and you can buy an equity piece in their future.

#6 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 1965

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:36 AM

They are everywhere
Enjoy the chase.

#7 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1397

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:38 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 13 February 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

They are everywhere

Don't we know it Chad!!!

#8 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1116

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

If anyone ever approaches you offering to sell shares of themselves for any effort, at any time, in any form of competition, in any universe....RUN, donít walk the other way.

#9 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 2488

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:43 AM

Seems to be a common thing with guys on the Challenge Tour and EuroPro Tour over here.

I have seen some looking for as little as £100 per share. For that most of them arrange some sort of golf day where you get exposure to them and sometimes a group of other mini tour players, a round of golf and some food and drinks during the day (usually put on by their home or attached club). I was always tempted to do it to just to see how a day like that would be.
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#10 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 1278

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

Maarten Lafeber (born 11 December 1974) is a Dutch professional golfer who won the Dutch, Swiss and Spanish amateur championships before turning professional in 1997.
Lafeber was born in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant. He earned a European Tour card at the first attempt, but lost it at the end of 1998. After spending time on the second tier Challenge Tour, where he won the 1999 Tusker Kenya Open, he regained his place on the main tour for the 2000 season. In 2003 he became the first home player to win the Dutch Open since Joop Rühl 1947, and that remains his only win on the European Tour. In July 2005 he reached a career high ranking of 88 in the World Golf Ranking.
Lafeber sold shares in himself to finance his career, and bought the shareholders out at a profit of 85% at the end of the 2004 season.

Not a bad return.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 OutBackHack

OutBackHack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296687
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:57 AM

Scott Langley is probably the most well known one in the States.
He won a couple of weeks ago and should be back on the tour next year which will make his investors very happy I would think.

#12 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 2417

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:10 AM

This has gone on for years.  I’ve invested in three players over the years and recieved a positive return on only one.  

The most famous player investment is probably Kenny Perry. He wanted to try q school one last time and offered a deal to a business man in his hometown. This guy gave him the money with the provision that if Perry made it that he donate 5% of all future prize money to Lipscomb University in Nashville.

5% of Kenny Perry since the mid 80s is pretty serious cash.  

SYard T388
                TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
                Miura CB-57 3-PW
                Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
                                Old Titleist Blade

#13 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10262

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

Been going on for 40 - 50 years over here, probably more.  Link to Zach Johnson from not all that long ago. http://www.augusta.c...as_193303.shtml

#14 vaterman

vaterman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195002
  • Handicap:9,7
GolfWRX Likes : 1920

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

I had a deal like that with a pro who played minor tours a few years ago. Paid abt. 1000 usd against 50% of winnings for each tournament, after expenses was deducted.

The reason we did the deal as shares was to get something contractual that could be used for my Companys accounting. Something the golf pro could send an invoice against. At no point did I look at it as a good or even remotely good investment. Of course it could have been awesome if he had won some money. But to have been part of the success would have been the best gain, had there been a success.

Alternately I could sponsor the guy but that would require somewhere to put my Companys logo which would then add more expenses for clothing, embroydering, web-sites or something like that. Thes Expenses would be a complete waste as I highly doubt there would be any PR-value for my company showing my logo for the 2 spectators that looked at these events. Then better spent all the budget in direct support.

Just to emphasize. Do this because you want to support someone. Don't for at minute think it could be good ROI.

#15 Njames.cook2014

Njames.cook2014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491990
  • Ebay ID:Nathacoo3
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

A lot of web.com people get backers for them to focus on golf

#16 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6078

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

I have plenty of young professional golfers that would love having more financial help.

#17 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

I read about the Kenny Perry deal. The businessman didnít get rich through KP. It all went to charity. Nothing wrong with that. Afterall, the businessman was basically donating to charity when he took a chance on KP. The deal was really no different than what other struggling pros manage to do through friends and family. Iím pretty sure most of us would not have the financial means to give enough to make it a worthwhile risk for any one prospect. If there was a way to buy into a plan that covered multiple prospect, to even out the risk, that might work for the average joe. Just I think there are better ways to invest your spare change. I do get the hook though of being personally involved.

#18 jasonfish11

jasonfish11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396358
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

View Poststraightshot7, on 12 February 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

There should be a crowd sourcing website for this. Could do it for all professional athletes. A website with detailed stats and info on each player and you can buy an equity piece in their future.

There are gofundme pages for mini tour LPGA and PGA prospects.  

Although this isn't a bi-lateral contract, but I'm sure if you contacted them through a private message you could set something up.

#19 MidwestGolfBum

MidwestGolfBum

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304799
GolfWRX Likes : 614

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

I've supported 3 different guys over the years with the same group each time. One guy made enough that he could pay all of the investors back and got out of pro golf with a lot of stories but little else to show for it. One guy has made us as the investors some money, but went through some injuries and is currently working on moving things back to a more profitable position again. The last of them is still trying, though our support of him has fallen off as he has not been able to show any real progress towards becoming any more competitive.

To answer you question as far as where to find these types of players, most were found through people who knew about them from our club or they spent time there working or playing. That or you can go and watch the state open or any large small professional event that may be in your area.

Remember there is very little likelihood that you are going to make any money and professional golf isn't cheap to finance, as several members on this board who are currently playing or used to play can tell you all about.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
Vokey SM5, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

#20 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

As the mother of the writer "Life of a conditional web.com member" on this site I must chime in because if it were not for people who supported my son he would never have been able to do what he has done so far.  His pedigree was really good, 4 consecutive US Amateur qualifier (in a row), 2 time all American, athlete of the year at UC Davis (not golfer of the year, male athlete) as he broke a ton of records and really led his team that senior year.   Sweet 16 at western am plus many other strong high finishes in major invitational amateurs..  Dream player to invest in right?    Well let me tell you, professional golf is so damn hard that even someone with that pedigree has not made it to where he wants to be yet.  Thankfully he had supporters (I prefer to call them supporters because it really isn't a sound financial investment).  

He sold "shares" which were a high dollar amount, some times people went in a group to buy one share.  It was a 3 year contract and most of his winnings went back to the support team.  His swing coach got 3%, then the next % (I think 75) went to support team, until such time as his total amount of money fell to a dollar amount in the contract.  Once that happened all his winnings went back to that account so he could continue to compete.  
The 3 years is up, those of us who bought in early got I think more than 1/2 our money back but the nice thing is, no one was really in it to make money.  Everyone just wanted to support him because of his dedication, his character and because they liked him.   One guy I met who bought 2 shares told me before it even started was "he didn't care if he made any money back, he could afford it and he was happy to help him out".

I can tell you that without people like that things would be totally different.  Because people supported him he was able to just focus on golf, he didn't need a side job to help expenses.  He is very frugal so he was respectful and careful with the money he had.  But I can also tell you that there is a lot of things that have to go well for success.. It isn't just about discipline and hard work, there is some luck involved too.  It's all about timing, you have to have your A game on those crucial days of the dreaded Q school!!  One year in stage 2 he played with bronchitis..  I was watching it was awful.. he was coughing his lungs up and giving it his best but Im sorry that is just not possible when you can hardly walk and breathe..  (that sucked).. The year he got to finals and received conditional web status he got food poisoning the day before the tournament and was throwing up profusely.   Also not awesome. He managed to put in a decent round next day but just didn't have his A game for the next 3.  

That being said, he has had quite a bit of success in comparison to his circle of pro friends.  3 years straight he was competing on PGA tour in Canada (MacKenzie tour) and although he didn't do as well as he hoped he is the only on of his peer group to even get on the tour.. (its that hard!!)
He started off last year great and has one about 15K in first 3 months then his play dropped a bit and he was fighting his swing and his head a bit.  As you know its difficult to have confidence when you are not where you think you should be and so starts the slippery slope of struggles.

Its hard to be a golfers mom, you can't do much other than watch and hope and pray.  He is still at it, this is year 4, he is totally on his own dime now and his contract with Nike came to a close after 3 years so he's really on his own.. Taylormade did take him on however in their developmental team so he can get needs met from there, but he doesn't ask for much.   If you want to get a glimpse of what his life has been like you can read his thread..

I can also say that the golf community is generous and kind and there have been so many people all over the US and Canada that have helped him out, whether it be a place to stay, a gift card for food, a caddy loop without a fee, etc..  many many people to thank from this venue alone who have reached out and helped him.  Golfers are good people.  If you feel compelled to help a young pro out and you can afford to do it, by all means do it..  I can assure you from our experience the gratitude is deep..

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

View Postagatha, on 13 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

As the mother of the writer "Life of a conditional web.com member" on this site I must chime in because if it were not for people who supported my son he would never have been able to do what he has done so far.  His pedigree was really good, 4 consecutive US Amateur qualifier (in a row), 2 time all American, athlete of the year at UC Davis (not golfer of the year, male athlete) as he broke a ton of records and really led his team that senior year.   Sweet 16 at western am plus many other strong high finishes in major invitational amateurs..  Dream player to invest in right?    Well let me tell you, professional golf is so damn hard that even someone with that pedigree has not made it to where he wants to be yet.  Thankfully he had supporters (I prefer to call them supporters because it really isn't a sound financial investment).  

He sold "shares" which were a high dollar amount, some times people went in a group to buy one share.  It was a 3 year contract and most of his winnings went back to the support team.  His swing coach got 3%, then the next % (I think 75) went to support team, until such time as his total amount of money fell to a dollar amount in the contract.  Once that happened all his winnings went back to that account so he could continue to compete.  
The 3 years is up, those of us who bought in early got I think more than 1/2 our money back but the nice thing is, no one was really in it to make money.  Everyone just wanted to support him because of his dedication, his character and because they liked him.   One guy I met who bought 2 shares told me before it even started was "he didn't care if he made any money back, he could afford it and he was happy to help him out".

I can tell you that without people like that things would be totally different.  Because people supported him he was able to just focus on golf, he didn't need a side job to help expenses.  He is very frugal so he was respectful and careful with the money he had.  But I can also tell you that there is a lot of things that have to go well for success.. It isn't just about discipline and hard work, there is some luck involved too.  It's all about timing, you have to have your A game on those crucial days of the dreaded Q school!!  One year in stage 2 he played with bronchitis..  I was watching it was awful.. he was coughing his lungs up and giving it his best but Im sorry that is just not possible when you can hardly walk and breathe..  (that sucked).. The year he got to finals and received conditional web status he got food poisoning the day before the tournament and was throwing up profusely.   Also not awesome. He managed to put in a decent round next day but just didn't have his A game for the next 3.  

That being said, he has had quite a bit of success in comparison to his circle of pro friends.  3 years straight he was competing on PGA tour in Canada (MacKenzie tour) and although he didn't do as well as he hoped he is the only on of his peer group to even get on the tour.. (its that hard!!)
He started off last year great and has one about 15K in first 3 months then his play dropped a bit and he was fighting his swing and his head a bit.  As you know its difficult to have confidence when you are not where you think you should be and so starts the slippery slope of struggles.

Its hard to be a golfers mom, you can't do much other than watch and hope and pray.  He is still at it, this is year 4, he is totally on his own dime now and his contract with Nike came to a close after 3 years so he's really on his own.. Taylormade did take him on however in their developmental team so he can get needs met from there, but he doesn't ask for much.   If you want to get a glimpse of what his life has been like you can read his thread..

I can also say that the golf community is generous and kind and there have been so many people all over the US and Canada that have helped him out, whether it be a place to stay, a gift card for food, a caddy loop without a fee, etc..  many many people to thank from this venue alone who have reached out and helped him.  Golfers are good people.  If you feel compelled to help a young pro out and you can afford to do it, by all means do it..  I can assure you from our experience the gratitude is deep..

Just ballpark how much money wise do these guys need to keep going throughout a year?  Would 100k be enough for a year?
Nice write up Mrs. Mom :)! Thanks for the info,  very informative.

#22 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6078

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Depends on the player and what tour they are playing and how many events. Do they have a swing coach, mental coach, and/or strength coach?  Also depends what youíre including in that (rent, phone, etc).  $60-80k is fairly normal for a full season.

#23 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Texted my son and he came back with 80K..  you have to include living expenses as well.  The other thing as mentioned above is it entirely depends on where they play and other factors.  To play in Asia or Canada or Europe you will encounter much more expense.  One of my sons peers lives at home and plays in what I consider a "going no where" tour with tiny fields and local players only.  He probably does not spend much but he will never win much either.

#24 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

Cool, remember to write off expenses !  Miles, hotels, meals, clubs.  I'm sure you guys know all that. Prob could somehow write off those "loans" or interest from them.  
I travel a ton and a AAA card gives you awesome rates on rooms.  Maybe write a guide blog for other tour players.  Carpool and stuff. I gamed the Marriott system and got Platinum status and one of their credit cards.  That is a nice feature with Marriott.
Sorry, just excited cuz this is a cool topic.

Edited by BB28403, 14 February 2018 - 12:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors