Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

If your team is 41 under par


53 replies to this topic

#1 tgreenwood11

tgreenwood11

    Bye bye yips in 2015

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72615
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

The amateur player is a sandbagger


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 acy274

acy274

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432734
  • Joined: 07/15/2016
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 664

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

I don't think Larry Fitz is a sandbagger. As far as I know, he's been regarded as a high character guy his entire career in football, why tarnish it now? His handicap is probably higher now than usual bc his season just ended and his recent rounds were the result of not getting much practice time. Plus he's a pro athlete at the absolute highest (hall of fame) level, so he is better equipped to handle the pressure than most amateurs.

2

#3 CommerceTiger

CommerceTiger

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257846
  • Joined: 06/22/2013
  • Location:Commerce, GA
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:jtur4477
GolfWRX Likes : 1251

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Eh. Does anyone really even care who wins the Pro AM?
Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
WITB Link

3

#4 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3183

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I think Larry is a member out at Whisper Rock and I'd imagine that money games out there aren't cheap.  If Larry got a reputation for being a sandbagger I don't think the members of the club would take too kindly to that.  I could be wrong though, we need a W.Rock member to chime in.
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

4

#5 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
  • Joined: 07/12/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 2121

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Why can't we just congratulate Larry and say "good golf!"


5

#6 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3183

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostLeoLeo99, on 12 February 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

Why can't we just congratulate Larry and say "good golf!"

He golfed his ball for sure, congrats Larry.  



Leo what is your avatar picture?  It successfully creeps me out every time I see it.
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

6

#7 Christosterone

Christosterone

    Reverse C

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180350
  • Joined: 05/11/2012
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:+54
GolfWRX Likes : 2698

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

He’s a nice guy...
The only people who care about winning the am portion are other ams...


Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX<br /><br />Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright<br /><br />Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright<br /><br />Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright<br /><br />dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

7

#8 blink3665

blink3665

    #TwistFaceExperience

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132182
  • Joined: 07/02/2011
  • Location:Seattle
GolfWRX Likes : 1945

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

As Acy mentioned, Larry is highly regarded by broadcasters, coaches, and players.  I don't think sandbagging is in his DNA.  Also, we should wait and see if he posts those 4 rounds.  It's very possible that he had a few bad holes that were covered by Streelman.
Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
Cleveland RTX4 49/54* mid, 58* xlow  -0.75" - 2* flat
TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt
WITB Link

8

#9 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7216

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

Doable over 4 rounds if your pro is solid

I did see him shank one on a par 3
TMade '16 M2 10.75* Diamana BBoard 53x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Aldila Green NV 75x
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5-6i Altus Xcon HX3
Ping s55 7 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

9

#10 widow-maker

widow-maker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309105
  • Joined: 04/16/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:reiner53brown
GolfWRX Likes : 1690

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

View Postblink3665, on 12 February 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

As Acy mentioned, Larry is highly regarded by broadcasters, coaches, and players.  I don't think sandbagging is in his DNA.  Also, we should wait and see if he posts those 4 rounds.  It's very possible that he had a few bad holes that were covered by Streelman.
They were playing best ball.  He can't post rounds where he's picking his ball up when he's out of the hole. I wouldn't be calling him a cheat unless I had played extensively with him and knew that his handicap was way off.  That's not right to do.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 xxio

xxio

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
  • Joined: 05/06/2005
  • Location:Cebu, Philippines
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

It's best ball correct?

I won a bestball tournament last year. I shot -3 under net on my own ball. My partner -1 net but our best ball score was -10. I would bogey, he would net birdie. We were holing out/trying our best because our flight had individual bets going with each other.

Edited by xxio, 12 February 2018 - 07:39 PM.


11

#12 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1734

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

72 holes, best ball net with a touring pro?

-41 doesn’t seem crazy to me.

12

#13 thevaporz

thevaporz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Joined: 12/22/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

They said he was as low as a 6 before. You should get your 12 month low index at Pebble. You can't blow up your handicap by 7 strokes in two months without sandbagging. I would hope Larry is above all that but something is off here. He made a lot of birdies throughout the tournament, almost made a hole in one on #7 on Sunday, but also hit a huge slice on #17 on I believe Friday or Saturday's round. Definitely a suspect 13 hcp.

13

#14 Creedo77

Creedo77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329745
  • Joined: 07/27/2014
  • Location:Springfield, VA
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 379

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I think Larry is a member out at Whisper Rock and I'd imagine that money games out there aren't cheap.  If Larry got a reputation for being a sandbagger I don't think the members of the club would take too kindly to that.  I could be wrong though, we need a W.Rock member to chime in.

He's definitely not a sandbagger and the members committee at Whisper Rock actually said no to him initially joining the club.

They require that your handicap be something below 10 (if i recall correctly) and at the time of Larry wanting to join he was about a 14. A year goes by and he tries to join again, this is after working on his game for a year but still being just above a 10 they made an exception for him and let him join.

He's a stand up guy.
PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
PING Anser

14

#15 Creedo77

Creedo77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329745
  • Joined: 07/27/2014
  • Location:Springfield, VA
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 379

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 12 February 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Doable over 4 rounds if your pro is solid

I did see him shank one on a par 3

Streelman did play pretty well....

PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
PING Anser

15

#16 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3183

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

View PostCreedo77, on 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I think Larry is a member out at Whisper Rock and I'd imagine that money games out there aren't cheap.  If Larry got a reputation for being a sandbagger I don't think the members of the club would take too kindly to that.  I could be wrong though, we need a W.Rock member to chime in.

He's definitely not a sandbagger and the members committee at Whisper Rock actually said no to him initially joining the club.

They require that your handicap be something below 10 (if i recall correctly) and at the time of Larry wanting to join he was about a 14. A year goes by and he tries to join again, this is after working on his game for a year but still being just above a 10 they made an exception for him and let him join.

He's a stand up guy.

Very interesting, thanks Creed.  In interviews and stuff he’s always seemed like a nice, well spoken guy.
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

16

#17 Creedo77

Creedo77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329745
  • Joined: 07/27/2014
  • Location:Springfield, VA
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 379

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View PostCreedo77, on 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I think Larry is a member out at Whisper Rock and I'd imagine that money games out there aren't cheap.  If Larry got a reputation for being a sandbagger I don't think the members of the club would take too kindly to that.  I could be wrong though, we need a W.Rock member to chime in.

He's definitely not a sandbagger and the members committee at Whisper Rock actually said no to him initially joining the club.

They require that your handicap be something below 10 (if i recall correctly) and at the time of Larry wanting to join he was about a 14. A year goes by and he tries to join again, this is after working on his game for a year but still being just above a 10 they made an exception for him and let him join.

He's a stand up guy.

Very interesting, thanks Creed.  In interviews and stuff he's always seemed like a nice, well spoken guy.

For sure, very humble.

I worked with a guy from Augusta who caddied for him last year....they walked FIFTY-FOUR (yes 54) holes in one day out there. The caddie couldnt have said how good a guy he was while they were out there.

Funny story about his round....Larry, I guess was a little nervous the first couple of holes given where he was. He asks the caddie for advice and the caddie goes "we'll I dont really like to mess with people's swings while were out here". Larry snaps back at him in a cool calm way "hey man I'm a pro athlete, I think i can handle it." lol....lets just say not only did Larry tip this guy out in 4 figures for the 54 holes, but he also sent him a box of cardinals gear the following week.
PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
PING Anser

17

#18 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3183

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostCreedo77, on 12 February 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View PostCreedo77, on 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 12 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I think Larry is a member out at Whisper Rock and I'd imagine that money games out there aren't cheap.  If Larry got a reputation for being a sandbagger I don't think the members of the club would take too kindly to that.  I could be wrong though, we need a W.Rock member to chime in.

He's definitely not a sandbagger and the members committee at Whisper Rock actually said no to him initially joining the club.

They require that your handicap be something below 10 (if i recall correctly) and at the time of Larry wanting to join he was about a 14. A year goes by and he tries to join again, this is after working on his game for a year but still being just above a 10 they made an exception for him and let him join.

He's a stand up guy.

Very interesting, thanks Creed.  In interviews and stuff he's always seemed like a nice, well spoken guy.

For sure, very humble.

I worked with a guy from Augusta who caddied for him last year....they walked FIFTY-FOUR (yes 54) holes in one day out there. The caddie couldnt have said how good a guy he was while they were out there.

Funny story about his round....Larry, I guess was a little nervous the first couple of holes given where he was. He asks the caddie for advice and the caddie goes "we'll I dont really like to mess with people's swings while were out here". Larry snaps back at him in a cool calm way "hey man I'm a pro athlete, I think i can handle it." lol....lets just say not only did Larry tip this guy out in 4 figures for the 54 holes, but he also sent him a box of cardinals gear the following week.

I always liked Larry and now I like him even more. Very cool story.
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

18

#19 tokeyb

tokeyb

    Gonna get better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426358
  • Joined: 05/23/2016
  • Location:Omaha
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Awesome stories, glad to hear he's a good dude. I think pro athletes who are good golfers who can be taught/adapt could really up their game in a long weekend with a PGA star. Me, I'd go the other way!
Titleist 910 9.5*<br /> TM Aeroburner 3w 15*<br />TM Burner Rescue 5 (24*)<br />Ping i200 (4-9)<br /> Scratch 8820 (47*, 53*, 58*)<br />Odyssey White Hot Rx 9, Tour Snsr 140cc<br />Project(a) in 2017, looking in 2018<br />Right at single digits - gonna get better

19

#20 TobesSC

TobesSC

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17821
  • Joined: 08/11/2006
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Handicap:6.2
  • Ebay ID:tgc4life
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

I believe the tournament organizers pad the handicaps for the amateurs to make sure they have a good time.

TM M2 Pro White 60
TM M1 3HL Pro White 80
TM 3 P790 PX
TM 4-5 P770 PX
TM 6-PW P750 PX
TItleist SM6 50, 56, 62 PX
Toulon Atlanta

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
  • Joined: 09/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1870

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostCommerceTiger, on 12 February 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Eh. Does anyone really even care who wins the Pro AM?
That's based on handicaps?  Cough cough there is no such thing as sandbaggers or guys who shoot net 61's based off their index.  It's a gentlemen's honorable sport.  :D
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Rogue Max 65 Stiff
Titleist 910F 15* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 19* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 23  Project X 6.0
Titleist 714MB DGS300 4-9
Titleist Vokey 48 54 60
Titleist Scotty Futura 34

21

#22 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6971

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

View Postwidow&#045;maker, on 12 February 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Postblink3665, on 12 February 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

As Acy mentioned, Larry is highly regarded by broadcasters, coaches, and players.  I don't think sandbagging is in his DNA.  Also, we should wait and see if he posts those 4 rounds.  It's very possible that he had a few bad holes that were covered by Streelman.
They were playing best ball.  He can't post rounds where he's picking his ball up when he's out of the hole. I wouldn't be calling him a cheat unless I had played extensively with him and knew that his handicap was way off.  That's not right to do.
Absolutely you post in best ball events. If you pick up you should post what you most likely would have made on the hole. Baggers get a rep by NOT posting those rounds.

Edited by Shilgy, 13 February 2018 - 09:42 AM.

TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

22

#23 LeftyLuck

LeftyLuck

    Advanced Member

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489376
  • Joined: 12/24/2017
  • Location:Fenway in the Summer
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=6fWLmf1O8oQ

All I need to know about Fitz.

23

#24 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11867

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

View PostTobesSC, on 12 February 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

I believe the tournament organizers pad the handicaps for the amateurs to make sure they have a good time.

Um, no, not at Pebble. http://www.popeofslo...ing/pebble.html

24

#25 NCLancer

NCLancer

    from Northern New York to The Triangle

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263156
  • Joined: 07/11/2013
  • Location:Hillsborough, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 12 February 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

View PostTobesSC, on 12 February 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

I believe the tournament organizers pad the handicaps for the amateurs to make sure they have a good time.

Um, no, not at Pebble. http://www.popeofslo...ing/pebble.html



Thanks for sharing that...very interesting read.


25

#26 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

    Grinding like Briny Baird

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Joined: 05/23/2012
  • Location:The Valley
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:46 AM

I thought I saw somewhere, a few years ago, that Larry was around a 5...?

What was he playing as last week at Pebble?
g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

26

#27 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

    Grinding like Briny Baird

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Joined: 05/23/2012
  • Location:The Valley
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

Just looked him up 10.6 LI of 6.6

Pretty suspect go out there and light it up like he did and I'm a fan of the guy. He would be perfect for SCGA Team Play...lol

-smh
g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

27

#28 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:10 AM

All right, you've done it.  I am going to have to go on a bit of a rant now because this line of questioning really REALLY annoys me.

Let me start by saying something: not all 10-caps are the same.  THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.  And that's especially true under the USGA system where half your scores get thrown out.

I play off 9 in the UK.  Recently I've been averaging more than 10 GIRs, and around 2 birdies per round.  I also drive the ball 270+ consistently. I get stupid comments like yours every time I hit my first tee shot.  And you know what, it REALLY P*SSES ME OFF.  I mean how ridiculous is that you think it's ok to accuse someone of a serious character flaw by ASSUMING that because they have better ability than you to hit a ball, that it must necessarily translate to the rest of their game and to their scoring?  Happened again yesterday--hit 12 GIRs, took 41 putts (three-putted SEVEN times) en route to a cool 84 and of course lost the match to the idiots who all but accused me of being morally decrepit on the first tee.

Larry hits the ball a long way, I'm sure (he's a large fit professional athlete).  Larry also doesn't get to practice as much as I'm sure he'd like to.  Combine those two things and you get flashes of brilliance and also some exaggerated inconsistency.  Larry also probably got pumped up to play this event and practised more leading up to it than he normally would.  I don't know about Larry, but I play golf once or twice per week and never personally get to play golf 4 days in a row, much less on the same course.  By Sunday my game would be far sharper than it was on Thursday, and I'd be surprised if Larry were any different.

THIS IS A BEST-BALL people.  And not only is it a best-ball, but you are playing with a super-consistent professional golfer as your teammate who by the way should be giving back 5-6 strokes but is instead playing off scratch.  You are freed up to have horrible holes, because you know he won't.  It boils down to who can make the most net birdies.  Clearly the long hitter with the most inconsistency that keeps his handicap up is most likely to make the most net birdies... somewhat common sense.

Please stop and think about how disrespectful you are being before you accuse someone of something so serious as a character flaw when you have literally never even seen the guy post a round, much less the 20 that it takes to define your handicap.  Ok rant over.

28

#29 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1734

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 12 February 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

View PostTobesSC, on 12 February 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

I believe the tournament organizers pad the handicaps for the amateurs to make sure they have a good time.

Um, no, not at Pebble. http://www.popeofslo...ing/pebble.html

They kind of do.

They play at 100% of handicap allowance, where the USGA recommends 90% - which gives Larry Fitzgerald an extra stroke per round; and the pros play effectively off scratch, where they should be playing off a pretty significant plus handicap. Both serve to deflate the scores vs. what you'd see in a typical club better-ball event.

29

#30 lopey986

lopey986

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413808
  • Joined: 02/28/2016
  • Location:Illinois
  • Ebay ID:lopey986
GolfWRX Likes : 1073

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

View PostShutSteepStuck, on 13 February 2018 - 01:52 AM, said:

Just looked him up 10.6 LI of 6.6

Pretty suspect go out there and light it up like he did and I'm a fan of the guy. He would be perfect for SCGA Team Play...lol

-smh

His handicap got down to a 6.6...in the end of August...so right before his offseason ends. Of course it goes up after playing football for 4 months, or do you think he's got a lot of time to keep working on his game while he's in the middle of football season?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors