Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Challenge: How Far can you hit a Golf Ball?

Challenge Long Drive

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

I was reading though the Longest Drive Ever thread and I was hit with an idea, a challenge to see who can come up with the way to hit a golfball the farthest, anywhere on any surface. Weather that means hitting it Down a runway with tons of roll and a tail wind, or hitting it off a hill/cliff and getting tons of carry, or anything in between. So anyone could come up with the longest drive if they find the bast way to keep the ball moving. With modern phones, finding out the distance is easy as long as you can find your ball. I bet someone can get a Mile out of one swing somehow :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 LeftyLuck

LeftyLuck

    Advanced Member

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489376
  • Joined: 12/24/2017
  • Location:Fenway in the Summer
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

Chip it into a pickup truck and it will go miles....
Or hit a stinger into a sharks mouth and let it go.

Edited by LeftyLuck, 12 February 2018 - 06:42 PM.


2

#3 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostLeftyLuck, on 12 February 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Chip it into a pickup truck and it will go miles....
Or hit a stinger into a sharks mouth and let it go.

Haha clearly we need a few rules to the challenge then. The ball can only be hit once by one person and once the ball stops rotating/rolling the shot it over. :)
910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

3

#4 nbg352

nbg352

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Joined: 10/25/2011
  • Location:Ontario Golden Horseshoe
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3956

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

I'm out.
I would need the ice, the runway, elevation, down hill and gale force winds at my back in 90* sunshine in order to have a chance........

Edited by nbg352, 12 February 2018 - 06:52 PM.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby  KE4  14* 3w , Axe Excaliber  R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
   Mizuno MP30  5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

4

#5 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

View Postnbg352, on 12 February 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

I'm out.
I would need the ice, the runway, elevation, down hill and gale force winds in 90* sunshine in order to have a chance........

I canít imagine it would take much than a 7i to knock one down a runway and get 400 or 500 yards out of it if it stayed on the asphalt. That is if you have access to a runway. Iím trying to find a local spot that will allow for max distance and being able to find the ball to measure it, thatís gonna be the tough part, finding the ball. Iím thinking about putting a ball down a big paved hill.

Edited by Pigems, 12 February 2018 - 06:57 PM.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

5

#6 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6793

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Drive onto a frozen lake would win

Zuback hit some 500 runway drives here in Toronto at Downsview
TMade '16 M2 10.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 4w 16.5*Aldila NV Green 75x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping s55 6i  Steelfiber 110x
Ping s55 7i - PW Nippon 1150x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* DGS 400 TI Onyx  
Vokey SM2 TVD M54*&M60* DGS TI Onyx
Yes Donna

6

#7 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 12 February 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Drive onto a frozen lake would win

Zuback hit some 500 runway drives here in Toronto at Downsview

Frozen lake, great idea. Finding the ball in the snow may be tough for measuring though. Are the lakes frozen there this year? We didnít get total freeze on some of the big ones here this year. Itís been a really mild winter here, so far lol.
910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

7

#8 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
  • Joined: 04/06/2012
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1484

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Climb Mount Everest and hit a little baby fade with a 9 iron?
917 D2 Driver | 718 MB Irons | Milled Grind Wedges | Milled Grind HI-TOE Wedge | TR 1966 Anser 2 Putter | ProV1x

8

#9 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 48106

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

I-15 coming into Nevada from Calif. The last part of the grade is essentially straight and runs just
enough downhill to keep a ball rolling all the way to Whiskey Pete's. If you can keep the ball inside
the shoulders a putt could run for miles, lol.

9

#10 alfriday

alfriday

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362505
  • Joined: 02/15/2015
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

An open hatch on the ISS and a seven iron.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 CrickorCreek

CrickorCreek

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488812
  • Joined: 12/16/2017
  • Location:PA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hit one off the international space station

11

#12 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17477

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

View Postcardoustie, on 12 February 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Drive onto a frozen lake would win

Zuback hit some 500 runway drives here in Toronto at Downsview

I had a frozen pond assist a few years ago. Longest drive I ever hit. lol
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

12

#13 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostPigems, on 12 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

I was reading though the Longest Drive Ever thread and I was hit with an idea, a challenge to see who can come up with the way to hit a golfball the farthest, anywhere on any surface. Weather that means hitting it Down a runway with tons of roll and a tail wind, or hitting it off a hill/cliff and getting tons of carry, or anything in between. So anyone could come up with the longest drive if they find the bast way to keep the ball moving. With modern phones, finding out the distance is easy as long as you can find your ball. I bet someone can get a Mile out of one swing somehow :)

Cool concept, but I'm kind of thinking that it would take someone with a high swing speed to get the maximum amount of distance. The dimples on the golf ball limit the maximum flight distance so the ball will have to roll/slide most of the distance to reach 1760 yards.

13

#14 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 4544

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Hit one into the depths of depravity.

14

#15 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 13 February 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostPigems, on 12 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

I was reading though the Longest Drive Ever thread and I was hit with an idea, a challenge to see who can come up with the way to hit a golfball the farthest, anywhere on any surface. Weather that means hitting it Down a runway with tons of roll and a tail wind, or hitting it off a hill/cliff and getting tons of carry, or anything in between. So anyone could come up with the longest drive if they find the bast way to keep the ball moving. With modern phones, finding out the distance is easy as long as you can find your ball. I bet someone can get a Mile out of one swing somehow :)

Cool concept, but I'm kind of thinking that it would take someone with a high swing speed to get the maximum amount of distance. The dimples on the golf ball limit the maximum flight distance so the ball will have to roll/slide most of the distance to reach 1760 yards.

I’m thinking straight distance isn’t gonna win this, someone will come up with a clever way of going long.  Like a really long  downhill stretch of road with curbs on both sides, or chipping one down a ski hill or something. There has to be a way to hit a golf ball a mile :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

15

#16 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Chipping one into the Grand Canyon would net you just over 2000 yards at its deepest spot, or off the top of Hoover damm would net some good carry.
910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

16

#17 Weetbix

Weetbix

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110149
  • Joined: 06/28/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:22 AM

Knock it into the deepest part of the Mariana Trench - 11kms straight down

17

#18 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10837

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:18 AM

View Postdciccoritti, on 12 February 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Climb Mount Everest and hit a little baby fade with a 9 iron?

Draw goes farther!

(Just seeing if anyone bites).

18

#19 seve1972

seve1972

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124438
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostCrickorCreek, on 13 February 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

Hit one off the international space station

this one wins......(I tried it last week......most expensive tee time available).

19

#20 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostPigems, on 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Chipping one into the Grand Canyon would net you just over 2000 yards at its deepest spot, or off the top of Hoover damm would net some good carry.

GC
https://youtu.be/c2TZxvee8Hg

SA

Posted Image

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia, 15 February 2018 - 01:16 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:7.6
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17100

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 15 February 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostPigems, on 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Chipping one into the Grand Canyon would net you just over 2000 yards at its deepest spot, or off the top of Hoover damm would net some good carry.

GC


SA

Posted Image

The guy in the video wins I think! I wonder how far it actually went?

Is that a real course in that picture? That’s cool as heck :)
910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82s
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

21




Also tagged with Challenge, Long Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors