Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Atrayn's Knee replacement journey - Update: Driver video from last night

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

On December 20th 2017 I elected to finally have my left knee replaced after 5+ years of procrastination. It finally came down to quality of life. I couldn't walk a half mile before the pain became unbearable. I tried everything else known to modern medicine before I finally relented.

After doing a lot of research I elected to go with Dr Michael Durkin at Hinsdale Orthopaedics. He teaches how to perform this surgery using the Mako Robotic Arm assisted technology.

https://patients.str...sted-total-knee

Xray.jpg

I was told that this can be outpatient surgery, however with my diabetes, I was supposed to stay in the hospital 2 days. That two days ended up being 4 because I never could get ahead of the pain. They finally broke down and gave me Oxy 20's the last day and I finally got to go home.

The pain was very bad for the first 10 days. It took me 5 weeks before I finally got back into a normal sleep pattern and weaned off the Oxy.

Scar.jpg

Before surgery, they chose to put in a nerve block. They put me out for that. It's a huge needle they use with ultrasound to locate and treat the nerve. It's put in the top of the quad. That caused me more issues pain-wise than the incision.

Therapy started the day of surgery. They had me up and walking around the floor the evening of my surgery. After I got home I was scheduled in home therapy right away. I dreaded the visits. However, you have to do the therapy!

Right now I am just over 7 weeks after surgery. I go to therapy 3x's a week and the best part is the STEM & ice afterwards!
Stem & Ice.jpg

Last week my Dr gave me the go ahead to resume my activities. I asked about golf and he gave me the thumbs up! Yesterday I went to the dome. Doesn't look too bad for a wedge. Still a bit stuck, but I''ll take it for the first swings of 2018!

Edited by Atrayn, 09 March 2018 - 10:31 AM.

Taylormade M2 9.5 w Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 XYB34A

XYB34A

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

I had mine done on Dec the 11th of 2017.  But the right knee. I have a son that is addicted to snorting pain pills, and have an aversion of taking them. I had had the left knee worked on a Plical cleanout the year before.  I have not played golf since May of 2016. I have not deer hunted, or turkey hunted. And missed out on a trip to SD to pheasant hunt.  I had in home therapy 3 times a week, and progressed so far that they released me from Therapy on Jan 17th.  The doctor told me i could drive the next day. Its not been great weather in KY, and there is not an indoor place to hit balls that is not quite a drive. When it was high 50s last week i chipped balls in the back yard. And plan on driving to the next county to the public driving range as soon as we have a temp in the 50s again. I stopped taking the pain pills they gave me in less than 3 weeks. AND FOLKS IT HURTS REAL BAD FOR THIS SURGERY>  I have had other surgeries in life. 7 of them as a matter of fact.  I have had about 70 kidney stones over the last 20 years.  Nothing hurt like this did. EVER.   To you the original poster. I wish you the best on this.  I plan on playing full time by April.  I do plan on taking care of walking on wet or muddy ground.  Good luck to us all.

#3 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

I do have to admit that I did go back to work earlier than I should have. I saved two weeks of vacation last year plus I used the first two of January. I had hopes of returning January 9th. I lasted a half day plus 1 that week. I started making significant progress at 5 1/2 weeks. I am now at full extension (0 deg) and I am at 112 deg flexion (bent) looking for 120.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#4 XYB34A

XYB34A

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

I was at 115 when they released me. And can bend my leg straight.   How are you doing with the stiffness and the no feeling in the knee. They told me that I would get it back when i started wearing my jeans all the time.   I had rather lay around in sweats than get all dressed, but i have been.  Its getting better.  I am looking forward to be able to do a lot that i used too.  I am glad you are doing great.  They asked me what my pain scale that first day.  I told them it was a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10.  My Dr also told me that I would have as much improvement in 2 more months as I have had the first two months that was up yesterday.  That last 5 degree is hard to attain.

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 546

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

Had both knees replaced on October 14, 2014.  Was inpatient rehab for 10 days, 3 times a day.  

Then out patient rehab 3x a week for 1.5 hours.  

I worked from home on Nov 10 for four days.  Was driving right at one month and back to the office right on Nov 17.  Achieved the 120 degrees in a month and was at 129 by the end of PT.

Graduated PT on Dec 31, 2014.   Part of the graduation was taking full speed golf swings in thd PT center, since I listed thst as one of my goals to hit by January 1.

Played my first round PAIN FREE in mid March.   It took almost a whole year to build the strength back up in my legs.  

The numbness is still there to a very small extent in one knee. But it doesn't bother me at all.

I can do things 3 years later that I couldnt do pre surgery.   I lost 34 pounds from 288 to 254 by the time I finished PT.  

I Felt great.  Have put half of that back on.  Ans need to work on getting it off again.  

As you already said.  Following the PT to the letter is the key.  

I was very lucky witj the meds.  I got sick the first day I woke up when they had me walk about 20 steps.  They changed the painkiller and I was fine after thst.  

I was off it completely by the 6th day.  The PT wanted me to stay on it so she could work me hard.  I told her I would do whatever she needed without it.  If I said I couldnt or stopped on her.  I told her I'd go back on it.   I didn't need to.

Good luck to you both.  Hit me up with any questions about long term recovery.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Titleist 718 AP1 4-7 Iron, AP2 7-PW AMT Red
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

#6 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postjustaman5, on 12 February 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

I was at 115 when they released me. And can bend my leg straight.   How are you doing with the stiffness and the no feeling in the knee. They told me that I would get it back when i started wearing my jeans all the time.   I had rather lay around in sweats than get all dressed, but i have been.  Its getting better.  I am looking forward to be able to do a lot that i used too.  I am glad you are doing great.  They asked me what my pain scale that first day.  I told them it was a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10.  My Dr also told me that I would have as much improvement in 2 more months as I have had the first two months that was up yesterday.  That last 5 degree is hard to attain.

After going to the golf dome I was afraid I might have over done it a bit. Pleasantly surprised that there wasn't any. I iced it up and elevated. Last night was therapy and I cried my way to 115 degrees flexion. Decent gain of 3-4 degrees as I was stuck at 111/112 for several days.

The stiffness is still there and some numbness on the kneecap still. The skin is still very sensitive. I wear thinsulate thermals all the time under my jeans. It really helps.
On to the last 5 degrees.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#7 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 12 February 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Had both knees replaced on October 14, 2014.  Was inpatient rehab for 10 days, 3 times a day.  

Then out patient rehab 3x a week for 1.5 hours.  

I worked from home on Nov 10 for four days.  Was driving right at one month and back to the office right on Nov 17.  Achieved the 120 degrees in a month and was at 129 by the end of PT.

Graduated PT on Dec 31, 2014.   Part of the graduation was taking full speed golf swings in thd PT center, since I listed thst as one of my goals to hit by January 1.

Played my first round PAIN FREE in mid March.   It took almost a whole year to build the strength back up in my legs.  

The numbness is still there to a very small extent in one knee. But it doesn't bother me at all.

I can do things 3 years later that I couldnt do pre surgery.   I lost 34 pounds from 288 to 254 by the time I finished PT.  

I Felt great.  Have put half of that back on.  Ans need to work on getting it off again.  

As you already said.  Following the PT to the letter is the key.  

I was very lucky witj the meds.  I got sick the first day I woke up when they had me walk about 20 steps.  They changed the painkiller and I was fine after thst.  

I was off it completely by the 6th day.  The PT wanted me to stay on it so she could work me hard.  I told her I would do whatever she needed without it.  If I said I couldnt or stopped on her.  I told her I'd go back on it.   I didn't need to.

Good luck to you both.  Hit me up with any questions about long term recovery.

Great to see a success story like that! Congrats! After my experience, I could never see doing both at the same time! Kudos my friend!
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#8 XYB34A

XYB34A

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

I had my left knee done for the Plical clean out the year before.  Bone spurs.  I played ball, you name the kind of ball. Mostly baseball from age 9 till I quit playing in church league and men league in Basketball. At about age 50.  I had to quit. Because i ran to slow, and like they say white men cant jump.  I could dunk a basketball flat footed up till I was in my very early 30s.

What I want to know is how much distance did you lose.  How long did it take to come back, and did it ever come back.  Did being a shorted straighter hitter make you more accurate.  I have always been a slow runner.  Think 10 seconds for 50 yards not 100 yards. I was taught to punch one to right field as an 11 year old when i got behind in the count.  So when I took up golf I had an in to out swing already..   And my major swing faulty is getting to far inside and laid off.  

Just curious.  I chipped balls in the back yard, and laid a white towel out like i always do. I had gone a year with out chipping. Gone from May 2016 from playing 18 holes.  I still could hit pitches and chips 25 to 30 yards and get close to the white towel.  I have done that since about 1985.

#9 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

I've been making steady progress the last two weeks. Flexion is at 118 and full extension. The knee feels pretty good but I still have numbness on the knee cap and some general soreness.
The scar is pretty much healed.
knee healed.jpg

I've been taking some full swings now and actually videotaping for the first time since Monte's clinic in Phoenix 2 years ago.
Tried to hit some full 4 irons last week and can see that I'm not getting into my left heel soon enough and it's causing be to stop rotating and my hands get high at impact. Still not trusting the knee 100%.

Hit the Chicago Golf show on Saturday. Scored a demo Taylormade M2 @ 9.5 deg. with a Diamana S+60 x5ct along with a TourEdge Stand bag now that I can walk pain free again.
New bag_stand.jpg

So Sunday I hit the dome with the M2 driver. Got into my left heel a bit better but found that I needed to stand a bit taller and rotate back a bit more after viewing this video. I'm also concentrating on getting some arm lift earlier in the backswing. After making these changes, it felt really good but I didn't get any video. I plan on going back Wed night to see if I can make the changes stick. I really loved the driver. I set it to 10.5 degrees.  All in all, I'm very happy with my progress and can't wait to play 18 this weekend! It's supposed to be in the 50's on Sunday.

Edited by Atrayn, 09 March 2018 - 10:16 AM.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#10 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Played my first round of 2018 at St. Andrews, St. Andrews course. Shot 79. I was one over at the turn and my putting was terrible. A couple short game miscues led to me to bogey my way in from 15. Kind of ran out of gas, but I was really encouraged. My iron play was really good.

Piped my first drive on #2 with the new M2 driver and really loved how it performed. I am really encouraged as the good drives were really good and the misses were very manageable. Still working on getting a bit more upright with the swing with a narrower stance to try and increase my AOA and also allow an easier set into my left heel.

This is my pre-round driver swing where I discovered I need to make a couple setup changes.

Edited by Atrayn, 09 March 2018 - 10:17 AM.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hit the dome again last night to work on the driver some more. Overall I can't complain too much. The club gets on and pretty much stays on plane.
Still need to loosen up a bit and work on smoothing out the transition. Right arm is straightening a bit too early due to me straightening up at impact.

Getting real close....

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors