Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driving distance ranges for junior golfers

38 replies to this topic

#31 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 13 February 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

Gotcha.

I think you may be missing my question.  I understand that growth is individual.  Every inch someone grows they are increasing the length of the lever they are using.  In relation to that inch of growth how much club head speed will increase just because the length of the lever is increased?  Physics says there will be an increase.

Here's an interesting article on the topic. https://www.tutelman.../tallGolfer.php

Here is the bottom line they came up with:
  • Strength matters! If you assume the taller golfer is scaled up in all dimensions -- weight, muscles, size of joints, etc -- there is an implied strength advantage that accounts for all of the extra driving distance.
  • Length of arc is detrimental, if it comes from a bigger radius. That's because it increases the need for strength to get the same rotation rate. (I have done other studies that show length of arc helps if it comes from a bigger angle. But that's not a tall-vs-short thing. You can have the extra shoulder turn whether you are tall or short.)
  • "Taller implies farther" is not a statistical accident. Taller golfers are statistically likely to hit a golf ball farther. But the statistical correlation is far from the whole story; other factors are more important for driving distance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 5504

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Gotcha.

I think you may be missing my question.  I understand that growth is individual.  Every inch someone grows they are increasing the length of the lever they are using.  In relation to that inch of growth how much club head speed will increase just because the length of the lever is increased?  Physics says there will be an increase.

It doesn’t work like that.  I didn’t miss the question. I don’t think you understood what I was saying.  It’s not linear.  Just because a player grows taller doesn’t mean they will get longer.  I’ve seen plenty that get taller but stay similar weight and actually have less speed and hit it shorter.

#33 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 13 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

Gotcha.

It doesn’t work like that.  I didn’t miss the question. I don’t think you understood what I was saying.  It’s not linear.  Just because a player grows taller doesn’t mean they will get longer.  I’ve seen plenty that get taller but stay similar weight and actually have less speed and hit it shorter.

I have seen this in my own kids sometimes they actually lose distance when they get taller. It's a big reason I make sure they regularly see a swing coach to make sure there still doing things correctly.

#34 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 AM

There are a lot of factors that go into longer drives besides just getting bigger.  My son uses a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with a Rogue 125MSI tour X shaft playing at 46.5 inches.  He also uses a power ultra strong grip that is popular on tour nowadays.  This strong grip and his former baseball training allowed him to hit his first 306 yd drive as a 12 year old.  His main power is from hitting the sweetspot with a 115+ swing.  All this being said, he still only averages 280-300 most of the time because though he's bigger now, he's more likely to hit for position than for distance.

He's only 5 ft 7", 175lbs of muscle.  There are guys on his high school team that are 8-10 inches taller than him, but drive it 50-100 yards shorter, a lot has to do with technique, precision and equipment.  Some power helps too.

#35 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1429

Posted Yesterday, 12:57 PM

View Postjollysammy, on 22 February 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

There are a lot of factors that go into longer drives besides just getting bigger.  My son uses a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with a Rogue 125MSI tour X shaft playing at 46.5 inches.  He also uses a power ultra strong grip that is popular on tour nowadays.  This strong grip and his former baseball training allowed him to hit his first 306 yd drive as a 12 year old.  His main power is from hitting the sweetspot with a 115+ swing.  All this being said, he still only averages 280-300 most of the time because though he's bigger now, he's more likely to hit for position than for distance.

He's only 5 ft 7", 175lbs of muscle.  There are guys on his high school team that are 8-10 inches taller than him, but drive it 50-100 yards shorter, a lot has to do with technique, precision and equipment.  Some power helps too.

It kind of bothers me that your son is only 12 and is bigger and hits it further than me.  I think I'm about 3.5 x's his age :scare2:

#36 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 PM

View Postkekoa, on 22 February 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

It kind of bothers me that your son is only 12 and is bigger and hits it further than me.  I think I'm about 3.5 x's his age :scare2:

Get off GolfWRX and hit the gym.  :taunt:

#37 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Wait this is GolfWRX aren't you a +0.5 and driving the ball 320 like everyone else on here?
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Evnroll ER2
Chrome Soft X

#38 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

he turns 18 in a month.

#39 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:24 PM

As far as more leverage is concerned, I've even tried 48 inch shafts with him when he was younger, about 13.  he gained more yardage, but less accuracy.  Hitting the sweetspot pure isn't the easiest thing to do.   I've found that as the child grows, you have to be aware of the geometry and make adjustments to lie angles and other factors as well

There shouldn't be such an obsession with distance, it's not like driving and holding par 4 greens is going to be the case.  Most of the time my son finds that good players set up for that final shot to be anywhere from 120-60 in, and when you get those in between distances it can be much harder to play.  The only time it helps is when he's on a par 5 in 2 and has an eagle chance, that usually takes a 300 yd drive and a 260-280 3 wood.   But you'll still more than likely face a 2 putt for birdie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors