Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rein in the ball? Okay, how much? And what will it do?

Ball Distance

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jpd92

Jpd92

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493248
  • Joined: 02/11/2018
  • Location:Owen Sound, ON
  • Handicap:+2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

So this is my first post. Been following the forums for a few years but decided to start tossing in my $0.02 occasionally and thought I would start with something that I've been mulling over for a little while.

Considering all the recent talk about shortening the ball I wanted to put out the question. How much do people think it be shortened?

When considering, lets assume this will be universal for everyone. Personally, although I think bifurcation is an interesting concept, I have trouble seeing it working. Sure, it sounds good in concept, but, at least for me, half of the fun of golf is that you can use almost the exact same equipment as the pros and try the exact same shots. I just feel like having a tour only ball would take away from that. I think there is also the logistical issue of having to get all the world tours on board with idea as well. So think about how much you want the ball shortened, if at all, and how it will affect your game as well.

I'm planning on adding some more of my own thoughts in a bit but wanted to get this one question out of the way first.

Driver: Titlest 917 D2 8.5 degree, Diamana D+ White 60 X
Woods: 2016 M2 15 degree, Ozik Black Tie 70m4 X
Irons: 2-PW Titleist 716 CB, KBS Tour-V 120 X
Wedges: 51, 56, 60 Vokeys, KBS Tour-V 120 X
Putter: Taylormade TM - 770

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

I donít think you have a lot of amateurs thinking they hit the ball too far.

2

#3 Bad9

Bad9

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Joined: 09/21/2009
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1773

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

Why not just post your thoughts in one of the dozen others threads on this topic.
Ping G SFT 12°/Phenom 50 r flex
Adams TL2 5w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Adams TL2 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G 5-U/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3

#4 AmazinBlue

AmazinBlue

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93222
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:Jackson, MI
  • Ebay ID:welchjs
GolfWRX Likes : 305

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Rolling the ball back is a very difficult thing to do, especially when the USGA keeps saying that the driver distance on tour hasnít gone up by much.  Although We may disagree, the numbers getting the most play are the DJs and Justin Thomases hitting the ball 340 off the tee.  

For the most part the average player is not getting 30-40 yards more than a few years ago, but the best of the best are seeing big jumps in distance.  It would be really hard for the USGA to roll back the ball at this point and if they did it might take the shorter hitters out of the game (pros).

If the pros were playing balls that curved like wound balls they wouldnít hit them as far because they wouldnít be swinging so hard.  The fear of going OB would reign in some distance.  The fact that todayís balls donít curve much at allows these guys to rip at it as hard as they want.
Cobra F8+ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 S 12g weight forward
Tour Edge Exotics CBX 16.5* 3w Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75-S
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
Taylormade P770 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
Vokey SM6 58*/08* M Tour Chrome
TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weights
Titleist AVX

4

#5 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 5536

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

Welcome to GolfWRX.

You're asking about one of the the most frequently commented upon topics on the forum over the past few months.

Edited by North Butte, 12 February 2018 - 09:42 AM.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

5

#6 gioguy21

gioguy21

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Joined: 04/09/2013
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:+0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3374

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostBad9, on 12 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Why not just post your thoughts in one of the dozen others threads on this topic.
what a nice, non-douchey, non-JO way to welcome the guy to the forum.

smh

M3 460 10.5*

M3 3HL / Tour Blue 80TX

P790 3I / Tensei Pro White Hybrid 90TX

MP18 MB 4I-PW /  CTaper Lite X

MD Forged 52 (10), 58 (8)  /  DG S200

MD3 Chrome 64 (8)  /  DG S200

Piretti Tour Custom 801R / 35.5"

BB0 Tour Limited / 35.5"

TP5x #1 "GIO"


2018 Shaft Shootout:

Aldila 2kxv blue 60TX

Aldila Tour Green ATX 60TX

Even Flow White T1100 75 6.5

T1100 65 6.5

Rogue Platinum 130 MSI 75X


6

#7 gioguy21

gioguy21

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Joined: 04/09/2013
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:+0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3374

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostJpd92, on 11 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

So this is my first post. Been following the forums for a few years but decided to start tossing in my $0.02 occasionally and thought I would start with something that I've been mulling over for a little while.

Considering all the recent talk about shortening the ball I wanted to put out the question. How much do people think it be shortened?

When considering, lets assume this will be universal for everyone. Personally, although I think bifurcation is an interesting concept, I have trouble seeing it working. Sure, it sounds good in concept, but, at least for me, half of the fun of golf is that you can use almost the exact same equipment as the pros and try the exact same shots. I just feel like having a tour only ball would take away from that. I think there is also the logistical issue of having to get all the world tours on board with idea as well. So think about how much you want the ball shortened, if at all, and how it will affect your game as well.

I'm planning on adding some more of my own thoughts in a bit but wanted to get this one question out of the way first.
JPD -

The search feature is your friend - there are multiple threads on this across various sections. Welcome to WRX.

M3 460 10.5*

M3 3HL / Tour Blue 80TX

P790 3I / Tensei Pro White Hybrid 90TX

MP18 MB 4I-PW /  CTaper Lite X

MD Forged 52 (10), 58 (8)  /  DG S200

MD3 Chrome 64 (8)  /  DG S200

Piretti Tour Custom 801R / 35.5"

BB0 Tour Limited / 35.5"

TP5x #1 "GIO"


2018 Shaft Shootout:

Aldila 2kxv blue 60TX

Aldila Tour Green ATX 60TX

Even Flow White T1100 75 6.5

T1100 65 6.5

Rogue Platinum 130 MSI 75X


7

#8 Bad9

Bad9

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Joined: 09/21/2009
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1773

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postgioguy21, on 12 February 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

View PostBad9, on 12 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Why not just post your thoughts in one of the dozen others threads on this topic.
what a nice, non-douchey, non-JO way to welcome the guy to the forum.

smh

Thanks.
Ping G SFT 12°/Phenom 50 r flex
Adams TL2 5w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Adams TL2 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G 5-U/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8

#9 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2750

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Yesterday, at sea level on normally damp fairways, there were lots of drives in the 270 range, a few in the 300 range, but we didn't see the 30-40 yard rollout.

9

#10 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Tonawanda, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1676

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

I think that there should be two balls - the present ball and a ball reduced 10%.  PGA Tour average driving distance has increased from around 265 to around 290 since the advent of the titanium driver and the modern ball.

The reduced distance ball would be used by all golfers under certain specific situations, as stipulated by the course.  Older, shorter courses could stipulate the reduced distance ball.  Augusta National could stipulate it; the USGA could stipulate it if they go back to Merion, or for Pebble (shy of 7,000 yards) or other older courses.  The PGA Tour could stay with the modern ball (perhaps for a time).  You would play your league play with the present ball, unless you play a short course.

I think that over time the reduced distance ball would gain currency due to faster play, more difficult shot making, and general acceptance.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Tonawanda, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1676

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

The USGA and R&A are about to release a joint statement on distance.  I think that this will be interesting.  Martin Slumbers said today that "we have probably crossed that line."
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

11

#12 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 905

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Last week I watched a WRX member we all know and love beating limited flight floaters over the pond and into the trees. I'm not sure I have ever even skipped one onto the beach. Really long is longer than you (me) and always will be regardless of equipment.
Just grow the grass, make it hurt to miss.
I can Break Rocks
Krank F-5.. UST Tour and or the Cobra F7+ > no winner yet.
Adams Speedline 15* Wasabi stiff
XXIO 5 wood , proprietary shaft
Wilson 2 iron from the 1980s, teaspoon shaft unknown.
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW (48*), DG X100, may soon get recoils.
Mizuno MP R-12 at 54* and 60* DG spinners.
Bettinardi C-01
THE Kirkland Signature 4 piece urethane cover golf ball.

12

#13 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 5741

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

View Postgvogel, on 12 February 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think that there should be two balls - the present ball and a ball reduced 10%.  PGA Tour average driving distance has increased from around 265 to around 290 since the advent of the titanium driver and the modern ball.

The reduced distance ball would be used by all golfers under certain specific situations, as stipulated by the course.  Older, shorter courses could stipulate the reduced distance ball.  Augusta National could stipulate it; the USGA could stipulate it if they go back to Merion, or for Pebble (shy of 7,000 yards) or other older courses.  The PGA Tour could stay with the modern ball (perhaps for a time).  You would play your league play with the present ball, unless you play a short course.

I think that over time the reduced distance ball would gain currency due to faster play, more difficult shot making, and general acceptance.
You think the shorter ball would gain popularity because it's more difficult to use?  Why don't folks use persimmon drivers or at least the old 260cc or so metal woods I wonder?
  How would a spinnier ball, that spends more time going sideways, speed up play?
TM M3 10* Graphite Design BB6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

13

#14 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2750

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostShilgy, on 13 February 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 12 February 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think that there should be two balls - the present ball and a ball reduced 10%.  PGA Tour average driving distance has increased from around 265 to around 290 since the advent of the titanium driver and the modern ball.

The reduced distance ball would be used by all golfers under certain specific situations, as stipulated by the course.  Older, shorter courses could stipulate the reduced distance ball.  Augusta National could stipulate it; the USGA could stipulate it if they go back to Merion, or for Pebble (shy of 7,000 yards) or other older courses.  The PGA Tour could stay with the modern ball (perhaps for a time).  You would play your league play with the present ball, unless you play a short course.

I think that over time the reduced distance ball would gain currency due to faster play, more difficult shot making, and general acceptance.
You think the shorter ball would gain popularity because it's more difficult to use?  Why don't folks use persimmon drivers or at least the old 260cc or so metal woods I wonder?
  How would a spinnier ball, that spends more time going sideways, speed up play?
An absolutely awful idea.  Different balls for different courses?  Who decides in league play what ball is legal?  Make the ball spin more, it goes sideways more, that cannot speed up play.  Only on a golf nerd forum is the idea of making golf more difficult even considered.

14

#15 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Tonawanda, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1676

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostShilgy, on 13 February 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 12 February 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think that there should be two balls - the present ball and a ball reduced 10%.  PGA Tour average driving distance has increased from around 265 to around 290 since the advent of the titanium driver and the modern ball.

The reduced distance ball would be used by all golfers under certain specific situations, as stipulated by the course.  Older, shorter courses could stipulate the reduced distance ball.  Augusta National could stipulate it; the USGA could stipulate it if they go back to Merion, or for Pebble (shy of 7,000 yards) or other older courses.  The PGA Tour could stay with the modern ball (perhaps for a time).  You would play your league play with the present ball, unless you play a short course.

I think that over time the reduced distance ball would gain currency due to faster play, more difficult shot making, and general acceptance.
You think the shorter ball would gain popularity because it's more difficult to use?  Why don't folks use persimmon drivers or at least the old 260cc or so metal woods I wonder?
  How would a spinnier ball, that spends more time going sideways, speed up play?

Who said it needs to be spinnier.  Not me.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory

15




Also tagged with Ball, Distance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors