Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 2 votes

Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

329 replies to this topic

#61 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 762

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

Can anyone shed light on the pro's (one pro further up) who has a handicap? I was under the illusion that no pro on the planet has a handicap?

Back on topic; Rick said in his pre round vlog he was driving the ball oonbelievable! Best part of his game and his vlogs back that up.

There can be no excuses as Finch also does daily vlogs etc etc and shot a decent score for a driving range pro (I really hate his moveaway on all swings though)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Outlier

Outlier

OUTLIER

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105230
  • Handicap:1906
GolfWRX Likes : 328

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 11 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostjacobEDGE, on 11 February 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

Posted Image

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?
Alot pros dont

I thought GHIN was a US based system?  The UK uses something different no?

#63 pandrijczak

pandrijczak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441152
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

Some pro's here in Australia maintain a handicap, but it's because they a financial member of a club and they play in the normal members club comps ie. midweek or Sat/Sun comps.

Marc Leishman comes to mind, not sure about posting a link here whether it will stay here or not (sorry forums rules guy!)
https://aussiegolfer...wednesday-comp/

He's a member at Warrnambool, on the SW coast of Vic. Windy as hell a lot of the time, hence why he's so good in the windy conditions.

Played off +7 for the day (I had his golf H/C # to look up his actual, I remember it being around +5.5) had 36 points, wins a ball in the ball sweep/down the line.

Google "leishman ball down the line port fairy" if the link doesnt make it.

I've seen or played with a few other Aussie pros who maintain a cap as well, though they dont get to play too much club golf necessarily. And obviously they dont use the caps in pro tournaments.

A lot of the US pros will have a handicap that is used for when they play in club comps for the home course, I remember Bubba being of +7.7 at Isleworth (google "bubba watson handicap isleworth") and click the first link and you'll see some other notables.

#64 Outlier

Outlier

OUTLIER

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105230
  • Handicap:1906
GolfWRX Likes : 328

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

View Posttyorke1, on 11 February 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

If playing golf is not your living then we are all capable of bad weeks . Also how many tourny's has he played this year and when you know the internet world is watching then it might be hard to focus on golf.  I would be really surprised if other tourny golfers would criticize how anyone played a weekend and certainly no offence to higher caps or non  tourny players but these are the ones usually criticizing. I missed the cut at nationals that was for me 9rds in nine days after losing a tourny by a shot the previous 4 days and all some people could say is did you choke were you nervous, the fact that I played 9rds in nine days and 3 months later would get a total hip replacement , no the only thing was that they couldn't understand the 79-77. Rick is excellent at what he does , I enjoy his video's and I could care less what his tourny scores are, his swing looks just fine.

You are correct- nobody cares about anything but the scorecard.  Pending hip replacement, too many rounds, arse itches.....personal problems.  That week he/you sucked.

#65 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1552

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostSantiago Golf, on 11 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostjacobEDGE, on 11 February 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

Posted Image

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?
Alot pros dont

Thanks and there you are - he apparently doesn't.

Having said that, it's not hard to search his event results for those that are curious.  Some good, some not good - inconsistent as you might expect.
Rahm hasnt shot under par in his last 3 sundays. Super inconsistent! He must suck too!

Most golfers shoot really high and really low. Some golfers shoot the same number all the time. Few golfers shoot the same score most of the time and when the moment calls for it shoot below their average.

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Project X Hazardus Black 6.5
Fairway: Coming Soon Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX
Utility: Coming Soon Taylormade Speedblade 3, 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9; Steelfiber i110x
Wedges: Scratch 1018 47*, 53*, 59*; Steelfiber i125x
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB
Ball: Vice Pro Plus Pink

#NoDaysOff

#66 herbygolf21

herbygolf21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31193
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostjacobEDGE, on 11 February 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

Posted Image

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

Um, those appear to be one day events.  12 events,  12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts.  I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

Edited by herbygolf21, 12 February 2018 - 09:30 AM.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic 9.0 turned to 10.0 N; with Rogue Max 75 X
3 Wood: Callaway XR Pro 3 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2X)
5 Wood: Taylormade R15 18* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2S
Irons: Herrbach Prototype TCG irons 3-PW w/ KBS Tour-V X flex
Wedges: Vokey SM5 54* and Callaway PM Grind 58* (Both with DG Spinner shafts)
Putter: Directed Force Reno at 34 inches and 66* lie angle (KBS Matte Black putter shaft)

Ball: Vice Pro+

#67 PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141617
GolfWRX Likes : 3146

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 12 February 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

Can anyone shed light on the pro's (one pro further up) who has a handicap? I was under the illusion that no pro on the planet has a handicap?

Many enter their scores into the system like everyone else. Itís how we know Tigerís 2007 handicap at Isleworth was +11, Bubba +7, etc.. They arenít super accurate, as most donít enter all their rounds, but we can all agree the guys on tour play alright in tournaments.

What this comes down to is the difference between not having a handicap and not needing a handicap. Professionals donít need a handicap for pro events, but they can still have one. Iím sure Rick knows exactly what his handicap is, but said he didnít have one as a way to relieve pressure.
Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING G30 8.4 w/ Tour 65 Stiff 44.25"
PING G Stretch 13 w/ Tour 80 X
PING G25 17 & 23 w/ TFC 189 X
PING S55 5-PW w/ KBS Tour X
Nike Engage 52, 56 SS and 60 DS w/ DG S400
Yes! Sandy 12 38"

#68 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

So is there one internet guru who has shown to be better at golf than the others? The only one I have ever even heard of is Mark Crossfield. Also, good teachers are often times only adequate golfers. If you took the top 50 teachers in the world how many could shoot even close to par.

#69 Danm2501

Danm2501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334587
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

Posted Image

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

As stated above - none of the events he played in had a cut. 1 round in the 60s from 12, hardly the performances of a guy likely to qualify for The Open.
Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
Callaway XR 4 Wood
Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (5-SW)
Vokey SM5 Wedge 52*
Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball

#70 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event.  Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his.  People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work.  My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it.  She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result.  It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business.  That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails.  Who has time to play serious golf?  I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism.  He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't.  I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that?  It's remarkable.

Taylormade '16 M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone JDM TourB X-CB 5-PW DG S300
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 660

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

View Postbogeypro, on 11 February 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

My usual group of playing partners are 4 pga pros from my area... none carry handicaps because they are pros.  When pros sign up for tournament, they don't ask for handicaps so why have one...

I don't play in any events that require a handicap, and I have one. It's a real nice, simple, easy way to know where your game is at. If someone asks how good you are at golf, you can shoot off a simple number that most people will understand. Also, bragging rights, my dude.

View PostOutlier, on 12 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

That I'm not sure. On GHIN's website, when you go to the lookup function it asks for a State and Last Name. It allowed me to choose Europe/England as the State. They actually have most foreign countries listed. Which makes me assume you can have a GHIN outside of America.

#72 cvhookem63

cvhookem63

HOOK 'EM

• 3,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 307989
GolfWRX Likes : 3564

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

He said on social media that for some reason he gets very nervous when playing competitive golf. It sounds like that may have affected him again.
WITB Link
TaylorMade 2017 M1 9.5* Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 8X
NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 5-9 Project X 6.5
NIKE OVEN Engage 46*SS TI X100 | 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
NIKE OVEN Origin B2-05 Long Slant | Custom Copper Insert B2-05
Posted Image Posted Image

#73 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 4522

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostJordan Speeth, on 12 February 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event.  Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his.  People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work.  My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it.  She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result.  It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business.  That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails.  Who has time to play serious golf?  I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism.  He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't.  I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that?  It's remarkable.

I mentioned upthread that it must be very time-consuming to be a YouTube 'celebrity". Which is probably one reason why he isn't much of a player.

But the fact remains, he does not actually play the game at an especially high level of accomplishment. Which is why I keep wondering why anyone cares what he says about golf clubs (which mostly consists of regurgitated marketing gobbledegook anyway) or why anyone would want to learn from him as a golf teacher.

There are a hundred guys on GolfWRX who know more about golf equipment than Rick Shiels and there are at least 20 guys at my golf club who are better players. Obviously YouTube fame as a golf pseudo-authority requires no particular equipment knowledge nor does it require being able to, you know, shoot around par once in a while from the back tees.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#74 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Tour Winner

• 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

I donít know why Shiels should be held to a higher standard than any of these other teachers or ďauthoritiesĒ.  Iím pretty sure that if you threw Butch Harmon, Hank Haney, Rick Smith, et al out there, they wouldnít fare any better.  That wouldnít diminish their credentials as teachers.  Nor do David Duvalís poor showings lately hurt his credibility, at all.  Shiels is doing what heís doing at a very high level, just like those guys are.  You can only do so much with the time youíve got and heís using his time to present a very high quality product to his followers.  Is he the last word?...probably not, but heís reliable and interesting to watch and listen to for many.  Itís as much entertainment as educational.  Heís got a huge audience...hard to argue with his success.  Personally, I donít expect him to be the greatest player there is.  None of my great teachers have been great players.  In fact, many of them rarely even have the time to play, much less practice.

Edited by Jordan Speeth, 12 February 2018 - 02:35 PM.

Taylormade '16 M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone JDM TourB X-CB 5-PW DG S300
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

#75 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

It you find him entertaining, great. Not saying he doesn't or shouldn't have his audience.

I just can't figure why anyone would be surprised he shoots a million in some tournament. If you've seen his videos where he plays, it's no surprise at all.

And I sure as heck can't imagine anyone considers him an "authority" on golf clubs. Of course the fact I can't imagine it doesn't mean it ain't true...

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#76 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

I would imagine that his 'no handicap' statement means he is playing off zero, scratch like all club pros play off here in the UK.

#77 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

The only Pro-Am I've played in, the three of us Ams each got our handicap strokes (one of us was scratch as it turned out) and the Pro played off scratch. So I guess in theory some of the Pros were better players and some were worse but there was no handicapping to equalize them.

I'll also say my teams Pro was suffering through a bout of the shanks and we were playing a links course in rain and a 20-30mph wind. So his round was very Rick Shiels-esque on that particular day!

#78 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3729

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

This is why I only listen to Rob Potter.
Driver:     Titleist 917D2 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Epic - 16*, 21*, 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-AW
Wedges:  Mizuno S-18: 54*, 59*
                 Callaway PM Grind  64*
Putter:      Odyssey O-Works Black 2M CS

#79 phen0men0n

phen0men0n

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448328
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

View PostMan_O_War, on 11 February 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

now i am really worried about all the internet swing gurus...so many of them creep up from everywhere and off we go with their latest craze.
Well, Rick Shiels is less of a swing guru and more of a YouTube golf magazine. He's in the same category as Me and My Golf.

#80 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Countdown to Augusta!

• 12,837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 8794

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

View Postherbygolf21, on 12 February 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

Um, those appear to be one day events.  12 events,  12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts.  I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

They also appear to be actual scores.

And yes, Monday events.  Over on this side of the pond PGA sections have Monday events, at least where we live, all throughout the season - that's when folks have some time to actually play.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 12 February 2018 - 09:17 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Steele47

Steele47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248371
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

His spin rates must have been off.  Give the guy a break.

#82 BreakingPar

BreakingPar

Recovering golf club and golf ball hoarder...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173297
GolfWRX Likes : 1084

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"
WITB:
GBB Epic 8* Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x   M2 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-6x   GBB Epic 9* Graphite Design Tour AD TP-6x
SLDR 14* TS Speeder 8.3TS (testing Epic 3+)   M1 14* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
M1 17* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
BBA 815 3H  Fujikura Speeder 865   Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85
Apex 4 - PW  KBS Tour V  P770 4 - AW Nippon Modus 130
RSi2 50*,  56* Glide ES
Ghost Spider Si Slant

#83 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

BreakingPar, on 12 February 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.

#84 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
GolfWRX Likes : 762

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

JonnyKrasnodar, on 13 February 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

BreakingPar, on 12 February 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.
think its about $200 a lesson also :swoon:

I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!

I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.

#85 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
GolfWRX Likes : 682

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

To be fair he did say on his instagram it was some of his worst competitive golf ever.  Good honesty I thought.  

The guy does a good job producing relevant content for golfers who frequent forums like GolfWRX.  

For me, he's a lot more value add than people like Paige S, who fights cyber bullying in her bikini from magazine covers while shooting 100.  Just my take.

• Titleist 915D2 10.5* UST V2 X Flex
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
  • Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X
  • Mizuno MP54 KBS Tour 130X +0.5'
  • Nike VR V-Rev 52*
  • Nike VR V-Rev 56*
  • Nike Engage Raw 60*
  • Edel E2 Torque Balanced PIXL 35'

#86 Bye

Bye

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295315
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 312

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

Outlier, on 12 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Santiago Golf, on 11 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

jacobEDGE, on 11 February 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

Hawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Alot pros dont

We use Congu, link attached in case anyone is interested.

http://www.congu.co.uk

There are rumours of a world wide handicap system coming in but who knows.

You only have to be a 4 handicap to turn pro over here, I think the playing test is now similar to the US one.

Pros over here are generally not allowed to play in the club competitions so he won't have a handicap of any sort officially.

#87 pendodave

pendodave

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259796
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

^^^

This is a fair summary.

Also, for reference, in the UK the white tees are normally the comp tees at our clubs. So not the 'middle' tees like they would be in other countries. I think he normally plays off these in his vlogs unless course conditions (winter setups) dictate otherwise.

#88 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3955

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Hawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

Londoner, on 11 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Hawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash?  Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support.  Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"
Stating facts isn't a bash. For someone who makes his living based on his alleged golf knowledge and skill, that's a very poor score.

Edited by playa, 13 February 2018 - 08:18 AM.

#89 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2123

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

Londoner, on 11 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

It does happen.

+2 over par winning it at a 6,300 yard course either tells me the field stinks or the conditions were horrendous.  I tend to take the latter.  And I don't know about over in Europe, but in the states you can get on a lot of gimmicky courses.

I don't think Shiels is Tour level caliber talent, but I think it's fair to say that he's far better than shooting 88 on a 6,300 yard course.

RH

#90 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

Richie,

I believe someone upthread stated that it was 6,300 meters. Which is a somewhat different thing!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

BNGL, Halebopp, KennyP, denvergolf, cdn

GolfWRX Sponsors