Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

10 year old- not showing much interest

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

My son is 10 and Iím trying to get him into golf. I have followed many of the suggestions here as well as some of my own but he is much more interested in playing basketball and video games.  Today I took him to the AT&T at Pebble Beach, saw Bubba Watson bomb a huge drive and followed a few other top golfers. I donít want to force him to try and like golf, really just want him to have fun and hope he develops an interest. Any other tips to try and develop his interest? I appreciate any and all opinions.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

View PostJackhammer993, on 10 February 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

My son is 10 and Iím trying to get him into golf. I have followed many of the suggestions here as well as some of my own but he is much more interested in playing basketball and video games.  Today I took him to the AT&T at Pebble Beach, saw Bubba Watson bomb a huge drive and followed a few other top golfers. I donít want to force him to try and like golf, really just want him to have fun and hope he develops an interest. Any other tips to try and develop his interest? I appreciate any and all opinions.

Was talking to a parent today at our winter PGA JL match , same issue with her son...despite golfing parents and family time at golf course, wasn't interested. She said that getting him involved with his peers has given him the bug.  This is an unofficial PGAJL(basically the team captains organized a few matches over the winter with similar format).  I've come to terms with the fact that hanging out with dear old dad at the course can get old - they need that social aspect of the game as well.  Maybe try some camps over spring break or summer or weekly programs like The First Tee.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

My suggestion would be to play golf with him and find a group of friends that like to play as well. Most clubs have some sort of group junior program he might find fun.  PGA Junior League is starting up again soon, maybe see if a course in your area has a spot for him.  The team aspect is fun for those kids just getting into it.

Also, ditch the video games.  Great blog post I just happened to read on the subject a couple of days ago: Video Game Addiction.  Please understand that I am no way insinuating your son is addicted but the points made about the addictive qualities are pertinent.

#4 frankie

frankie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

I agree with the other posts I would recommend you signing him up for group lessons or some team format. The kids I see most into have a few core friends they play with and the more they play and better they get I think the bug will kick in.

#5 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 2552

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

Have you signed him up for basketball?

I love basketball and golf ... Had a son, assumed he would love basketball and golf.

He's 13. Plays high level competitive soccer 9 months out of the year. Hates golf, tolerates basketball.

But I coach and ref soccer now.

It's your sons life. Don't try and make him love anything. Give him the opportunity to find what he loves. I gave my the son the opportunity to love golf and basketball, it wasn't there. Neither was baseball. It was soccer.

And there is nothing wrong with a few video games. Great for hand-eye coordination. Studies show video game players have higher IQs, do better in school, and make more money. But everything in moderation.

Edited by tatertot, 10 February 2018 - 09:54 PM.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast11 9į
Fairway: Adams Fast 10 15*
Hybrids: Adams Pro DHY 18*, Adams DHY Proto 21ļ
Irons: Ping Eye 2, 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM5, 54ļ & 58ļ
Putter: Cameron Mid Sur Studio Stainless, 35"

#6 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Countdown to Augusta!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 8847

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

10 is still pretty young, though I was hooked by 11, lol.

All you can do is create opportunities and support his interests, he may not decide he is into golf until he is 20 which is better for both of you than him deciding he will hate it forever by 12.

#7 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

ThNk you all for the great answers. I was thinking back to how I got interested and it wasnít until I started playing with friends that I really started to love it. I will definitely look into a local golf camp which will probably be this summer and also entered him and my 9 year old daughter in Drive , Putt  and Chip.
   As far as basketball he is playing in an organized league. I love him playing multiple sports. Video games are ok with me within reason. It is the first thing I ban him from if we have any issues and his playing time is restricted.
     One other off topic question. How do I like posts? I would like to do that but itís not jumping out to me on how to do it, thank you.

#8 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3524

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

Give him a choice - ďeither you play golf, or you play the bassoon.Ē

#9 bthomps33

bthomps33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435682
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:37 PM

I agree with the other poster that said give him opportunities to try new things and let him decide what he likes. I know my passions have changed over time and at the moment it's golf. In high school it was basketball and football.

#10 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

If he has kids in his age or class that play golf, that is probably the best way to get him the golf bug (if he is going to have it). If not, it's just not for him.  It's certainly tough when you may love something like golf so much, but your son doesn't have quite the same passion.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 fairways4life

fairways4life

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

If he's into video games, buy him the latest golf video game and challenge him to a round. It will cost around 50 bucks and who knows, it may just spark his interest.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1048

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

Golf was my sons idea.  I hadn’t played in 15 years.  Had my first child and couldn’t afford to play.  It wasn’t a sport I grew up playing, but did have fond memories of enjoying times at the golf course with my dad and my mom.  I was into football, basketball, baseball my entire life and spent a quarter of my life in education teaching and coaching.  My son decided he wanted to play golf when he was 5 as he loved watching it on TV.  My daughter found golf a year later.  Wasn’t something I introduced to either of them.  Golf found them.

My son now plays golf and basketball.  Gave up baseball at 9 and football at 10.  Gave up baseball because his interest wasn’t there.  He was very good at it, just was bored with the game.  One of the best days of my life because baseball really is boring.  Gave up football because of the head/injury factor and to pursue more golf in the fall months.  Football is one sport he may gravitate back to within the next year or so because he loves it.  

Long story short, golf isn’t for everyone especially at the junior level.  The kids that I have watched over the years that are successful at the sport and love playing it are different.  They have a different mindset than other kids.  Not saying it is good or bad, but the better players just have a different mentality than those who enjoy team sports.  

My suggestion is not to push him.  It is like eating a banana.  You either like it or you don’t.  If one doesn’t like it you aren’t going to force them to eat it every day.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 12 February 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#13 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 600

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

don't push @ 10

told this story a few times...

golf course for my kids was pool 1st, pizza, maybe the range, pro's candy drawer, ride on the cart and maybe a few on course putts

junior clinics w/ other kids

13-15 it can start to jell w/ friends and become social
TP MB 5-PW 45*Steelfiber i110
TP MB 49* & EF 56-15 s/fiber i110
UDI 3-4 steelfiber i110
SLDR 2H 17* steelfiber i110
SLDR 3HL (open) Matrix 8M3
SLDR 10.5 (upright) Matrix 7M3
Kia Ma Monaco
Snell MTB

#14 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

I agree with heavy they either like golf or donít.  I had a interest in golf but honestly it wasnít something I was pushing. I never i a million years considered her to be insterested in sports. We did all the usual classes and one day deslcided to put in a golf lesson.

Turned out out she instantly took a liking to the sport and it all she wanted to do from 6 o. And was a real naturally. The first lesson the golf pro thought she was playing for years.

My younger daughter likes it too now but my older one is an golf but. She lives and breaths it. I also grown to like golf a lot because it time I spend with my kids.

You canít make them like it they either do like it they donít.

#15 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 AM

When my oldest son was 5 I tried to play catch with him.  He hated it, didn't want to do it.  I didn't force the issue, he played a little soccer but  never really got into sports, but loved music.  I come home from work and my wife is playing catch with my younger son, she says, you've got to teach him not to throw so hard because it hurts when it hits me in the chest.  I tell her you don't stop that, that's our retirement...  he was 18 months in diapers throwing fastballs at her.  We got him a little bat, he loved slamming pitches off the windows.  Our house overlooks an elementary school field, he would watch kids playing baseball and soccer.  I didn't know it, but my dad had been taking him to the range and got him a few golf lessons when he was 3-4.  It wasn't until we were at a travel baseball tournament when he was 9 that we went to play golf with the other dads and I saw him hit drives and par a few holes.  I realized he could play golf, and so we came back, I bought him a set of Cobra SSIs with senior graphite shafts, cut them down 2 inches and 3 weeks later entered him into a US Kids tournament.  My wife thought I was crazy at the time.  Sometimes I feel life is like Forrest Gump, you never know what will happen next, just be prepared for whatever happens.   I never forced anything on my boys.  They're both different.  One is going for his Phd in Astrophysics, the other wants to be a History major and is scratch golfer and former year round baseball player.  All I do is support staff.  Get them the tools they need to excel in whatever they choose to do.

I always remember the movie "Hunt for Red October"  where the admiral asks, how are you going to get the crew off the sub?  Are you going to kill them?  Or do you have to do it in such a way as to let them go back and tell their bosses that we don't have the sub either.  So Jack Ryan ponders the question, how do you get them to get off, they've got to want to do it...

To this day, I've coached my son's teams and both boys with the same philosophy.  Whatever you do, they've got to want to do it.  If boys want to do something, you can't stop them.  But if you try and force any issue, you'll often get more cooperation from a rock...

#16 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1429

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 AM

Cant push a kid to like a game like golf. It does help if his buddies play though.  I was lucky or unlucky that my son has been hooked since he was 18 months old.  Hes only 7 now and has cost me thousands.  It’s fun to be a part of his journey though.  

Maybe your son will grow to like the game later in his life. 10 is still pretty young.

#17 franklin15

franklin15

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478032
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 AM

I started when I was 17 (no intrest or real idea about golf when i was 10), but it was just something all of my friends were doing. theres got to be some sort of summer camp that he can go and make friend that golf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors