Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

chipping rollout of 8,9,PW differences just practice?

72 replies to this topic

#61 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 February 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

So we should use a Rule that almost never actually applies, in order to get the ball rolling as soon as possible except not right away but instead after we fly it through the air onto the green. And they say golf is complicated!

P.S. all we need now is a Rule for pacing off putts and taking the putt back 2 inches for every 3 paces, that will greatly simplify lag putting distance control

I have to wonder what percentage of our reading audience (including yourself BTW) did NOT know that, regarding chipping, "get the ball rolling as soon as possible" meant once it hits the green,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe we should do a poll ?

And I guess everyone from now on is going to get the royal treatment from you. That's good actually - it'll make you easier to ignore.

So since you're going to take everything so literally now I thought I'd help you a little.

That's "all" we need ? Are you sure ? Who knew ?

But are you sure about that 2 inches for every 3 paces ? Not 4 ? Or 5 ? (inches or paces LOL)

Surprising for someone with such a high handicap, (or is it low now ? I mean you did keep changing it for a while) who knows so much about "everything" golf, can't keep away from the keyboard and uses such "big" words, to have to have everything explain to him. Or is it ?

Edited by nsxguy, 13 February 2018 - 10:54 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-P+W2, DGS300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW

Scotty Select Newport 2 (today)

Titleist AVX

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6958

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

This story has changed so many times I can't keep track.

Is the "rule of 12" about landing the ball on the green or landing it short of the green or sometimes on and sometimes short, depending?

And does "on the ground asap" mean "as soon as possible once it's on the green" or literally "as soon as possible"?

If I'm standing 15 yards short of the green in the fairway, there is a choice between "getting the ball rolling" immediately with my putter vs. flying it a few yards and "getting the ball rolling" in the fairway part way to the green vs. flying it 15+ yards and "getting the ball rolling" on the green after it has flown most of the way to the hole.

Answer me clearly. In those situations are you advising:

1) to roll the ball immediately (as with a putter)
2) to play what normal people call a bump and run that flies a short distance but starts rolling well before the green
3) to fly the ball onto the green then roll the rest of the way to the hole
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#63 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1022

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

2) to play what normal people call a bump and run that flies a short distance but starts rolling well before the green
Bump and run? Are you saying I should bump the ball and then take off running??? :)

1. No. The rule is for chipping onto a green. It's not very common for people to land wedge shots purposely off a green and expect precise results when the ball bounces/rolls on. People want chip and pitch balls onto the green in most cases.
2. The plan is to use the club that would allow you to carry any given distance over rough/fringe onto a green and have it land and roll ASAP. The roll out distance is determined by the loft of the club used for the shot. Rule of 12 is a fairly accurate baseline for what shots will do based on their loft.
3. Yes.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#64 Mike73

Mike73

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487288
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

This has been a long winter.

#65 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41303
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

This story has changed so many times I can't keep track.

Is the "rule of 12" about landing the ball on the green or landing it short of the green or sometimes on and sometimes short, depending?

And does "on the ground asap" mean "as soon as possible once it's on the green" or literally "as soon as possible"?

If I'm standing 15 yards short of the green in the fairway, there is a choice between "getting the ball rolling" immediately with my putter vs. flying it a few yards and "getting the ball rolling" in the fairway part way to the green vs. flying it 15+ yards and "getting the ball rolling" on the green after it has flown most of the way to the hole.

The main point of The Rule of 12 and similar approaches is giving the user an idea of carry-to-roll ratio for various chipping clubs for a flat lie.  Lie, green speed and slope, club loft, etc are adjustments one will make to get the desired result.

As far as “rolling as soon as possible” in a chipping context, my impression has been that most people mean on the green, meaning fly it only as far as you need to get the ball on the putting surface and rolling like a putt (1-3 feet on to allow some margin for error).

#66 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

Traj like Minaj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 19965

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

The Rule of 12 is shorthand for, "less lofted clubs roll out more and I thought I'd name it something vaguely science-y to make it seem like I understand this at a deep level."

The variables at play make it almost completely invalid for every single application.
Ping G25 10.5º
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Sauce : tour
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/12º M-grind
Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

#67 premazipp

premazipp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173416
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

I've always played to get the ball "on the green" as soon as possible, really meaning as far away from the pin and closest to me as possible, so the ball can then behave like a putt towards the hole. Bump and run is different. Depending on how much green I have to work with and if there are obstacle between me and the front edge of the green, I generally choose chip>pitch>flop.
Driver: Ping Anser 12*
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 16*
Hybrid: Ping Anser 20*
Irons: Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW
Wedges: Scratch 8620 52*/58*
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

#68 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1022

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

I'd suggest that anyone that doesn't know anything about the Rule of 12 just google it and watch the first video that pops up on Golf.com with a top 100 teacher of the year explaining how to use it.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#69 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostTheCityGame, on 13 February 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

The Rule of 12 is shorthand for, "less lofted clubs roll out more and I thought I'd name it something vaguely science-y to make it seem like I understand this at a deep level."

The variables at play make it almost completely invalid for every single application.

In practice, I found the opposite to be true.  I distinctly remember one situation where I was above the hole, about 4ft off the green, downhill, about 40 feet or so away.  Applying this rule, I picked the club that I would use to hit my landing spot for a flat chip.  Because I knew it would roll more being downhill, I grabbed the next highest lofted club.  I chipped it to 3’.    

It’s just a starting point, a framework.  And like any other framework, you’ll have to build on it.  The fact that you have to build on a framework doesn’t invalidate it; that’s the nature of the thing.

#70 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostMrJones, on 13 February 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

I'd suggest that anyone that doesn't know anything about the Rule of 12 just google it and watch the first video that pops up on Golf.com with a top 100 teacher of the year explaining how to use it.

Or better yet, google Paul Runyan.  He’s the Hall of Fame pro nicknamed Little Poison who used and taught the Rule of 11.  He noted for blowing out Sam Snead in the PGA, in spite of the fact that he was a notably short.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6958

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

This must be aimed at the same golfers who back in the day had pieces of tape with their "Pelz Clock" yardages taped to their wedge shafts.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#72 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 February 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

This must be aimed at the same golfers who back in the day had pieces of tape with their "Pelz Clock" yardages taped to their wedge shafts.

Not necessarily.  I couldn’t make the clock work at all.  Took way more practice time than I had.  I was much better off feeling I was tossing the ball with the club on pitches.

#73 NDS55

NDS55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422050
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

"The rule of 12" is just "a rule of thumb". I find that the increment gaps when using the more lofted clubs are disproportionate to the differences between longer clubs. If you know which club will roll out to the hole if you land it half way there, which one will roll out if you land it on third of the way, and one quarter of the distance, then you are using the same principle. Unless there are undulations or tiers to contend with, I prefer to land on the green within two paces and let it run. Yips happen more frequently when close to the target, so that is where consistency is more important, especially for the less skilled.
If making adjustments to tempo or length of stroke was more consistent, then I could just gauge how much to take off the swung with a 5i from the fairway instead of the 7i from 160 yards under most conditions. Variations in shot situation is what makes every round of golf different from the one before, even if played on the same course from the same set of tees, especially for the less skilled. Most mid and hi handicappers are not getting up and down from off of the green, and should be open to trying a method that might improve consistency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors